5Britax Safe-n-Sound Kid Guard

Britax Safe-n-Sound Kid Guard Questions & Answers

Trish

I'm looking to move my child into a booster that will last them until they are the recommended 145cm (they are currently 131cm). We have used Britax brand car seats for all our children and would like to stay with Britax if we can. Do Britax make a child seat that will last them all the way up to 145cm? The Britax Kid Guard appears to only go to 135cm.

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Trish, thank you for your message, our Britax Kid Guard is suitable up to approximately 10 years, measure your child by sitting them up against a wall and measure from the floor to the top of the shoulders, re suitability, some children have a long or short torso. King Regards The Britax Team.

Trish

Thank you so much for your response. We have now purchased the seat as it should fit him for several years. Just a question, is the base meant to be able to shift from side to side? With our other Britax seats, they were secured so well that the seat would not move at all. With the booster, there appears to be nothing to hold the base steady.

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Boosters do not require a “tight” fit in a car (unlike a harnessed car seat). They are simply there to boost the child such that the vehicle seat belt is positioned over the hips and shoulder in the best possible manner.
The problem may arise when the customer is trying to use the top tether as a tightening device. The top tether does not need to be tensioned, it just needs to have the slack removed – if it is tightened too much the seat will subsequently lift or move out of position.
In a forward collision the vehicle seat belt will do all the work, the booster will only prop the child to the best position for the seat belt to work, and the top tether will increase tension with any forward movement of the child seat.
Kind regards
The Britax Safe-n-Sound Team

Trish

Lovely, thank you so much for the detailed response! Much appreciated.

Rachel S.
Rachel S.

Hi - my 4.5 year old is on the shorter side, 101cm - is this booster suitable for him? Hoping to get an idea of what we need without taking the kids to the store to get them to try it out.

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Rachael, thank you for your message the entry marker for the Kid Guard is 380mm sit your son up against a flat wall and measure from the bottom to the top of his shoulders. Kind Regards the Britax Team

Mette
Mette

Hi,
Looking for a seat that’s suitable until my son is 145cm tall. Will this seat meet our requirements? He is currently 135cm tall. Thank you

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Mette, thanks for your question, The Britax Safe-n-Sound Kid Guard maximum shoulder height marker is positioned at approx. 542mm. We would suggest that you visit your local baby store and try your child in the seat and in your vehicle to ensure suitability. Kind regards, the Britax team.

Julia C.
Julia C.

Can the Kid Guard, purchased in Australia, be used in the United Kingdom? Many thanks, in advance. Julia

Mahalia G.

No, this seat is an Australian standard seat and will not meet the safety standards in the UK

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Julia, All our car restraints are manufactured to comply with Australian/New Zealand standards. Laws vary from country to country and even state to state.
You will need to contact the country which you are traveling to and ask them about their road laws or see below link which has all the Britax locations around the globe.

external link

Kind Regards
the Britax Team

Melanie
Melanie

Hello, what is the minimum weight requirement for this booster seat?

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Melanie, thanks for your question. The Australian standard no longer testes to weight as a rule for children. A child's weight also does not determine when they can and cannot use the seat. Age is used as a guide and height is the rule. The Britax Safe-n-Sound Kid Guard lowest shoulder height marker is positioned at approx. 380mm, here is a link to our website for further details - external link  or alternatively if you would like to discuss this with us please email us at au-support@britax.com kind regards, the Britax team.

Michelle

Hi there, I have an EOS convertible with no anchor point, only Isofix, so would I be able to use this without anchoring for my 7yr old? Thank you, Michelle

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Michelle, thanks for your question. The Britax Safe-n-Sound Kid Guard must be anchored to the car as per the instruction manual and the the Australian safety standards. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us on 1300 303 330. Kind regards, the Britax Childcare team.

Mahalia G.

Check your manual. Passenger vehicles with two rows of seats by law must have anchor points. Sometimes they’re tucked behind carpet and have to be cut out. Or the vehicle will have the bolts and just need an anchor to be fitted.

Michelle

Ah great, thanks Mahalia! I’ll ask my Dad to have another closer look, as he’s currently babysitting the car while I’m in Singapore and he couldn’t see any...so they must be there somewhere :)

lesley38
lesley38

Hi, i see you have replaced the kid guard pro with the kid guard. I have a few questions on tje difference.
3. What is the warranty on the moving parts of the seat ie the expandable wings - i went to the store and the demo model had one of the side wings jammed. Just worried it is something that might become an issue..
I guess im just trying to justify how this newer Kid guard model is better or an improvement in terms of features and safety to its predecessor, the Kid guard Pro.

Thank you very much and looking to hearing back from Britax

G R.
G R.

I’d also really love to know these answers. What is the safety score of this new model? Or has it not been tested like the predecessor “Pro”? Looking at the changes I doubt it would perform as well as it looks like a trimmed down version.

Mahalia G.

The main difference between the two seats is the added side impact protection in the headrest. The fabric is also upgraded but this is a comfort feature rather than a safety feature. AHR means active head restraint which both seats have, the pro has the added side impact cushion technology (SICT) built into the AHR headrest. It does seem that the Pro model has been retired. The current kid guard seems like the one they've always had. don't think it's been changed just that the above model was discontinued. Perhaps a new model is coming out

Below is a link to Britax's warranty for the different components. I'd advise against this model. I had a kid guard and the flimsy wings were pushed inwards by my to graphenes and this made the seat too narrow to be used.

You can find the safety rating for the kid guard pro here:

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Lesley, thanks for your questions. We have already responded to your email today:
1. Is the AHR in the kid guard better than the SICT in the kid guard pro? How are they different from each other? Both features are a form of side impact protection however in order to add more height to the Kid Guard (12mm added) the SICT was removed
SICT – The Inner layer of SICT provides 180° protection around your child’s head, whilst the outer SICT layer absorbs immediate crash energy.
AHR - deep side wings lined with EPS to shield and protect your child’s head in a side impact crash.
2. The kid guard pro has the thermo bamboo material, is that feature no longer present in the newer Kid guard model? The fabric on the Kid Guard is not the Bamboo Thermo 5 and is a polyester blend.
3. What is the warranty on the moving parts of the seat ie the expandable wings - i went to the store and the demo model had one of the side wings jammed. Just worried it is something that might become an issue. The warranty on the hardware is 5 years from date of purchase and 2 years on the trim/fabric. If you register the booster on our website, you receive an extended warranty which then gives you ten years on the hardware. Please note, products which are on display are not only used to show consumers how to use, however can sometimes be tampered with. In the event that you experience an issue with a product, Safe-n-Sound products are covered by this company warranty against faulty materials and workmanship (normal wear and tear excluded) that affects the normal operation of your Safe-n-Sound product. In the unlikely event that you find that your Safe-n-Sound product does not satisfy this warranty, Britax will (at its option) repair or replace that product within a reasonable period of you making a claim in accordance with this policy.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us on 1300 303 330. Kind regards, the Britax Childcare team.

HI Britax team

I have just researched child seats. I find yours has the better safety rating and Safe and Sound kid Guard PRO but now see that it has been retired and now the Kid Guard is recommended for a 4 - 10 year old. My 8 years old is currently 135cm and we need a booster seat that can suit her up to 145cm so I am wondering where this leaves me with options? CAn you provide a recommendation please. We are currently using a Britax and its a great chair!

Kairen

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi kairenw, thanks for your question. The Britax Kid Guard has an Upper height marker position of 542mm. This is equivalent to a total standing height range between 135cm – 155cm. If your child is less than a total height of 145cm, you can seat them in the booster to determine fitment. If their shoulder is beneath the upper height marker, they can safely use this seat. If your child is taller than 145cm, and their shoulder height is under the upper height marker position, they can safely use this seat. If you have any further questions, please email us au-support@britax.com. Kind regards, the Britax Childcare team.

kairenw

Thankyou - we did go in to see this seat today. It looked great. I compared this and the hi-liner side
By side and there was very little difference. However, the Kid Guard’s seat wasn’t padded at all and it looked only suitable for short trips which will be unsuitable for us because we do travel a lot - a shame really. I have made do with the hi-liner which is better than a normal seat belt. Thankyou

Weiss

I have a very tall 3-y-o. Is the 4-point harness safe for this age? (I have been told their bones are more fragile, so 5-point-harness would be more suitable at this age generally.) Also, can I safely fit it to the middle seat on Discovery 5? The seat belt comes out of the top of the seat itself. Thank you!

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Weiss, thanks for your question. The Kid Guard is tested from approx. 4 years to 10 years of age and a child must meet or be above the entry level marker which is 380mm approx. The Safe-n-Sound Kid Guard can be installed as long as there is a lap sash seat belt in the middle seat and is also depending on where your anchor point is located. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our consumer support team on 1300 303 330. Kind regards, the Safe-n-Sound team.

Weiss

I very much appreciate your rapid response.

Laura

Hello. I am wanting to buy this as a travel car seat. Could you tell me the dimensions when it is folded into the compact position please?

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Laura, thanks for your question. Please see below measurements of the Safe-n-Sound Kid Guard folded as requested. Please note, these measurements are approximates:
L- 755mm approx.
W- 455mm approx.
D- 255mm approx.

Liv
Liv

Hi Britax, how does the safety rating of the Kid Guard differ to the Kid Guard Pro? Specifically is there any difference in safety between the AHR of the Kid Guard and the SICT of the Pro? As the Pro is an older model, are there any improvements in the new baseline or is it the same technology but with less expensive options than the Pro? Thank you

Britax Safe-n-Sound   DM

Hi Liv, thanks for your question.The main differences apart from the price is that the seat now has a taller exit marker which is positioned at approx. 542mm. Please feel free to give us a call on 1300 303 330 if you would like to discuss this with us. Kind regards, the Britax team.

Mrsy
Mrsy

I called Britax with this same question and they advised the taller exit marker, but also that the Kid Guard did not have the additional side impact protection feature around the head (you can see it on the side of the headrest of the pro and not there on the kid guard). Apparently it is still one of the safest but apparently to drop the RRP by $100, that feature needed to be removed.

Get an answer from our members and Britax Safe-n-Sound representatives