Brother NS-30

MarieHasked

does the NS30 need oiling

John B.

John B.asked

how do you thread needle

david

davidasked

Hi my machine NS30 is on full time reverse. Does anyone know what I need to do?Thank you!

Eduardo
Eduardo

I can only think of 2 scenarios here. (1) You might have enabled the "automatic reverse/reinforcement stitch" button and (2) You may have a sticky (reverse) button which you need to tap a bit to loosen contact - or better off open and clean the rubber contact between the button and PCB. However, you should only do this kind of cleaning if you are technical enough, know what you're doing, and the machine out of warranty. Otherwise, the best thing to do is to bring it to the nearest sewing machine repair shop. I know HobbySew supports this kind of machine - and they are official Brother Service Repair Centre - in case your machine is under warranty.

Frustrated and upset Tam

Frustrated and upset Tamasked

My Brother NS30 is only 18 months old. So far I've been happy and have created some nice work.. BUT a couple of days ago my "Brother"-machine has gone out of whack. It's been breaking upper thread, jamming thread in the bobbin, and now I keep getting error message "E8". It turns out that the button for pressing START - the third one on the bottom (without using pedal) - seems permanently pushed in. I cannot get it into original position - it's stuck! Now I cannot change stitches by turning the dial at all... - only stitch "1" seems to work, and even that gives me a headache as the thread keeps breaking and I constantly need to rethread machine again. Not sure if I should pay for the repair. Is it worth it? I've already spent money on gadgets for this machine... Seems like a waste of money. If I'm forced to get another sewing machine - it will certainly not be a BROTHER.

Gidge

I took mine back to the shop where I purchased it as they had their own (out of house) repair man. He told me it was not worth fixing as a part had burned out so I contacted Brother in a fit of pique as I'd hardly used the machine. They asked me to take it to their own service department which was a good forty minutes drive away. Reluctantly I did and it turned out to be an easy fix which cost me $70. I've not used the machine much since but it seems to work ok. it might be worth contacting Brother, these machines should last longer than 18 months! Hope this helps!

Yep, I had taken mine back to the shop this morning. Must say people at SewCo were sympathetic and helpful. Told them about this site - how some people have had their machines for 5-7 years without any problems. Luckily I didn't have to drive anywhere - left it at the shop. They did warn me though I might have to wait till after Monday. Well, as long as my machine gets back to normal... and I wouldn't be paying an "arm and a leg". Will let you know how it went.

Deepti
Deepti

Hi Tam.. That sounds awful! I just read your note that you are having it fixed now. Hopefully after that it will give you no more trouble. Do update when you get it back.
cheers Deepti.

bobrose

bobroseasked

where can I get a manual for the NS30 brother?

Try brother online :)

Kathy M

Kathy Masked

I have had a brother sewing machine for the past 29 years and decided that I would upgrade, now the question is Ns 30 or Ns 50? I like to make my own clothes, shirts, dresses, skirts etc but just not sure which machine to go for. Any suggestions?

Gidge

Sorry, don't know anything about the Ns50. I had some problems with my Ns30 and had to take it in for repairs but it runs perfectly OK now. I'm not a regular sewer though but the Ns30 suits my needs.

Meri
Meri

I have NS 30 and it's been great. I haven't had any issues. Now...ns50 is better. ..buy depends what do you need. I sew mainly for my 3yr old girl and something for me and it's been enough. I would always go for a better one:)

I adore my ns30 it's a fantastic all
Round machine I love brother machines and would most definatly recommend them . Good luck

Wakka

Wakkaasked

Hello there. I am wondering whether this machine might be suitable for sewing cloth badges onto a camp blanket. Would be very interested to find out. Thanks

Chelleid
Chelleid

If the sewing is basic straight stitch then likely yes it would be ok but for long term durability I would not choose this machine at all.

christa buteasked

Hi,I'm considering buying A Brother NS30 sewing machine but I've read that some people hav had nothing but bad luck with it.My old Singer that I've had since a teenager needs to b replaced because recently I've had it repaired twice & at $75 a pop it's not worth it (even though it was a good one :-( ) I'll b using it for sewing the double seams of jeans (at the waist),repairing curtains & just general fabrics.I'm not a professional so don't need fancy stitches & all those mod/cons but I want a good reliable working machine.It's on sale at Spotlight from $599 reduced to $299, that's a good price as I'm a pensioner & wouldn't ordinarilly b able to pay full price.Ur thoughts?

missmary

Hi Christa, I have taught hundreds using this machine and can honestly say that there have been no problems with them. And hundreds of my students have purchased this machine and have loved it. I see so many different machines on a daily basis and particular models seem to have their small issues. This machine must not be compared to the higher priced machines in other brands. I believe you will be able carry out these tasks with this machine, I often sew double hems on jeans. Tangled bobbins and incorrect tension usually means it has not been threaded properly or the thread has simply slipped out of place. There are ways to prevent this from happening, you may find it different from your Singer in that it is a top loading bobbin. $300 is the lowest they go on this machine and it rarely happens, they are usually on sale for around $450. Have you looked at any other models? Hope this helps. Miss Mary

christa bute

Hi Miss Mary,so good to hear from u no I haven't looked at other sewing machines I'm abit of a novice. I'm one of the `old fashioned' type,I get used to my old machine then when it's time to up-grade I rely on `word of mouth',I've been burnt that way too many times before guess I'm a sucker for punishment lol I've been in Retail for many years & don't believe that u hav to lie to make a sale as do many Sales Persons out there.The lady that served me at Spotlight (was around my age 58yrs)said that she swears by this machine,well what more can I say. I told her what I wanted the machine for & she said that I wouldn't have a problem.It's on order & hav to wait 10 days for delivery.Thanks Christa

chris.pusnik
chris.pusnik

i am using the Brother NS30 for about 4 years now and it´s "the ants pants" for me. i also have a 10 year old Singer which i will keep, but my Brother is just a step above it...haven´t had any trouble so far and i don´t expect any. just took my Brother overlocker for an overhaul... i think Brother is a very reliable brand.

kate_b25asked

Hi there miss,Mary, I have been testing out an NS 50 and am very impressed but am wondering if I'd be better to spend that little bit extra in getting a NV-400? Given your experience with machines etc I would appreciate your opinion.

missmary

I am all for spending the bit extra to get the better model! However, I really think it depends on what you are wanting to sew. Are you an absolute beginner? Do you want to sew denim or heavy fabrics? Do you want to do embroidery? Are you going to be quilting? Do you want to sew clothing? How often do you think you will be sewing? And one more question...do you have an overlocker?

kate_b25

Thank you for responding. A beginner. Mainly only hemming of jeans etc and a few kids clothes here and there(trousers mainly). Yes would like to do a lot of quilting, I am attempting a rag quilt as we speak! But would like to do patchwork etc. Yes, I would like to do a little embroidery but not hugely, just enough to be creative. I would like to do a fair bit of sewing but its hard when you've got little ones. I have borrowed my mums overlocker which she doesn't really use anymore so no doubt it will live here permanently now! The hand me down Janome (25yrs + old) has been good to me but can certainly notice quality difference using the NS-50.

Get an answer from our members and Brother representatives