DeLonghi Dedica EC685M (Silver)

DeLonghi Dedica EC685M (Silver)

MPN: EC685M

good when it worked

This machine was quite good when new. coffee was ok though It would stuggled to make a stong double shot with enough volume . It seems to need descaling a lot. In under 12 mnths the water failed to pass through the filter and basket, even with no coffee in it. The pump has gone again it seems, just like the last identical model we had (this is a replacement from the store). I have owned better machines in the past but to be fair they were more expensive. I will buy another brand

Purchased in July 2018 for $199.00.

GrinderSunbeam Conical Burr Grinder EM0450

Great espresso machine

Easy to use espresso machine with double and single shot attachments. Produces a good quality coffee. And milk frother works well though needs cleaning after each use. Overall easy to clean and descale.

Purchased in December 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Consistency
Milk Frothing

So worth it!

Recently bought this coffee machine instead of a capsule one. The coffee it makes is absolutely fantastic, I mean to the level of Melbourne coffee shop. Very easy to use. First I was afraid that too many parts will require cleaning and they do (6 including milk jug) but 5 can simply be rinsed so it literally takes few seconds. As this is not a new model I got it practically at half the original RRP. Very happy with the purchase.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

This is a beautiful machine

I enjoy the coffee made from this machine. It probably doesn’t get quite as hot as a fully equipped coffee machine and the pressure heads definitely weaken the coffee a bit, but it still makes a beautiful shot and is very easy to use. Would recommend for something on the lower end scale price but wanting to drink less coffee out.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Lovely and creamy

I love the coffee this machine can produce. Nice and strong and a very easy machine to use however... it seems to need a descale a lot. We live on rainwater so it shouldn't need it but I run it through without the actual fluid just water and the light goes out till next time.. so it seems to be on a timer for descaling not actually needing it. The base is too high for me but can be removed although you need a smaller base cup to fit as a larger mug I have to sit on an angle. It also seems to not be able to pump the water through if you tamp too hard. My old machine I could tamp as hard as I wanted but this seems quite picky and just that bit too tamped and I have to wait for the pressure to subside and start over. Very nice coffee when I get it all right though and a nice narrow size machine. Needs to be held down when you tighten the handle in or the whole machine moves.

Purchased in March 2018 at Amazon for $135.96.

Consistency
Product is used: Daily

Great entry level coffee machine for home coffees.

Quite a good machine, certainly worth the value for money and price. It pays to spend time practising with this machine and running it in. Also the quality of your grind is essential between a bad and good coffee. Once i shifted to a good grinder, i can now make perfect single or double shot espressos. The steamer does the job, but isn't exceptional.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Versatile little machine that punches above its weight.

My upmarket (but old) Jura machine died and the prospect of spending heaps to get it mended was looming. We took our time and looked at all offerings with 15 bars of pressure. I kept coming back to the Dedica and was mostly impressed by how little space it takes up on the kitchen bench despite its 15 bar pressure and also the fact that it call also use pods (which would be handy for emergencies) . So far I haven't used the pod feature and note that these are the ESE Easy Serving Espresso which I still need to track down -re hard to find). I grind my coffee in a Nutri-Bullet so it is very fine which may contribute to the good strength of the pour. The frother on the side is quick, simple and hot enough and you can manipulate it easily to make large or fine foam. This is an excellent feature. Oh, and best of all, it is a lot cheaper than the other machines (got a lowest price match) yet has all the same features (except an onboard grinder) is simple to use and makes a good cuppa. We love it.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Great coffee machine - easy to use & clean

We had a coffee machine before which used pods but I like the fact that with this machine you can use pods or fresh coffee. Now we can get freshly ground coffee which tastes and smells better than the pods and is much more cost effective.
The machine is easy to use (once you've got used to it) and easy to clean. The milk frother is also easy to use and clean.
It's not too big so will fit into smaller kitchens.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Slow to heat milk, but the coffee tastes great.

Bought for $250 for Christmas and it's actually alright. The coffee tastes great, and we buy our packets from coles - so that says something.

One flaw is the steamer is a little slow, it would take me almost a full minute to heat the milk to 65 Degrees.
The only other flaw is you can't drink from regular sized mugs with this model. They just don't fit under the group handle.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Very happy with this coffee machine

After a lengthy personal debate of whether to go for the convenience of pods or the extra effort (and expense) required of an espresso machine, I decided to do neither, and stick to buying my barista-made double-shot flat whites. Then I saw this machine on special at Amazon, so decided to take a punt.

To be honest, the Dedica took me a little time to get used to. Initially I struggled to produce a good coffee consistently, however I can now say that I have mastered it.

The key is having the right size cups (170-180ml). For me, this is an absolute must if you are a flat white or latte drinker. Using these made the biggest difference. I also invested in a tamping mat, milk frothing jug and a metal tamper.

On the negative side - the machine is fairly noisy when making the coffee. The final coffee is not quite as hot as I like it, despite my programming it to the hottest setting. There is no warning when the water tank is approaching empty, it just sounds louder (and slightly different) than when making coffee, so you have to keep an eye on the water level. The top of the machine is supposed to be a cup warmer, but takes too long to heat up so that doesn't really help.

On the positive side - it is beautifully compact and does not take up much bench space. It does not take long to fill and tamp the coffee in the portafilter and pull the shot. While the last drops of coffee are falling into your cup, you can start frothing the milk. The frother works really well - but you have to turn the dial all the way or you just get flashing lights. After frothing milk, the machine is too hot to continue, so you can't make any further coffee unless you turn the machine back to the coffee setting, place a glass under the frother and turn the frother on again. This forces water through the thermoblock and cools the machine down, and also cleans out the milk frother pipe. You can make two cups at a time which is handy, but if you have a large crowd wanting coffee, you may be at the machine for a while. In fairness however it is a compact coffee maker, not a cafe-sized one.

All in all I am very happy with it. I've tried various brands of ground coffee and coffee beans, and I can make decent flat whites quickly and easily, and now I can have one whenever I feel like it. So now i just need to invest in a knock bin...

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great compact machine

This is a great little machine. Has the ability to make good coffee from a variety of ground coffee I throw at it. Takes up very little counter space has easy operation makes piping hot coffee and the frother works well. Longevity is unknown at this time but it seems to be good value.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Minor details

The espresso maker is producing a great tasting shot.
Temp. level as well as shot volume are a bonus.
On the downside, the locking mechanism is unforgiven to extra coffee in the cup filter (will not allow you to lock into position). The pin hole at the bottom of the filter plugs easily. The cup tray stains and scratches in no time.

3 strikes out

We bought a delonghi that we returned because we did not like the feature of needing to stop the flow. We bought a dedica, loving the sleek design and great features. After about 3 weeks of great coffee it stopped working. We descaled it and it still did not work. Thinking we bought a lemon, we exchanged it for the same model. Again, about a month of great coffee and the descale light came on. We descaled it following directions exactly, no coffee. What a disappointment! We really wanted this to work but these coffee machines have serious design flaws and we are experienced cappuccino brewers. Not worth the money or hassle.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

All you need in a coffee machine

have used it for over 9 months to make on 3-6 cups per day. The anti scale clean is a bit slow and inside the coffee cradle appears a little loose however Super happy with this machine.

If you want fantastc coffee you MUST also buy a "conical burr grinder" and learn how to consistantly tamp the ground coffee for Perfect results. (You dont need a Big expensive industrial machine for great results)

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Can't imagine my morning without it!!

We are very happy about our purchase - Coffee from this coffee machine taste just great and it is very easy to use. Cleaning can take up to 3 - 4 min though. Overall great purchase and I would recommend this model to anyone who appreciate the taste of real coffee.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Not worth the money

I assumed for $450 I would be getting a decent machine after only owning ones from the $200 range however I am SO disappointed. Single shot basket is closer to a quarter shot, double shot basket is more of a single. You can't use different heads/handles, the milk frother is all of 5cm long so you cant use a jug any bigger than 300ml (forget temping more than one coffee worth of milk at a time) and finally it pours a 12-15 second shot even on a very fine grind (should be 26-30 seconds)
Awful machine and a waste of money if you actually enjoy coffee. Unless you're upgrading from nescafe instant, you'll be disappointed too.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

You get what you pay for

Makes pretty decent coffee fairly quickly and the frother is quite good. If you live by yourself, this will model should suffice. Cleaning is also quite easy. My only gripe is that there should be an option for stronger coffee. Appart from that, I have been quite satisfied with Dedica.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Best gift ever!

Bought this as a gift for my partner who loves it. He is quite fussy about his coffee and now can make it just how he likes it at home - far more economical than buying at coffee each day, the machine pays for itself in no time. Its easy to use and clean. Comes with three diffferemt cup size options for the amount of coffee you want to use. Neat and stylish looking on our kitchen counter. Manual is easy to read and understand. Happy with the purchase and can recommend.

For the coffee lovers!

This gadget, though small, but it does it job if you know how to brew coffee and froth your milk. It does take one to have basic knowledge to prepare good coffees, however, with some trial and error you may find yourself grow addictive with this portable inexpensive machine of a device.

It’s compact and fun

Happy with the coffee, easy to use and easy to clean. However, the program seems has problems. After I hear the milk, I can never make another coffee, must restart the machine if I want to make another one . It’s not a huge issue, but annoying. I hope anyone can tell me why.