Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss

Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss

2.3

AshleyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

No problems if used correctly

Had initial issues with the applying old full gloss with a small roller sticking etc.
Decided to get a new tin and change to Semi Gloss.
Spoke with Dulux tech support and after using a 230mm wide Raylon roller 5mm NAP and a very light sand between it came up a treat! Apply as quickly as possible with reasonable amount of paint on the roller and minimise the rolling finish. The paint seems to settle down after completion.

Purchased in August 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$93.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted
michelle k.Dulux

Thank you for your feedback! It’s fantastic to hear that you have had a great experience with our product. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any help or advice down the track – The Dulux Team.

TimW

TimWSouth East Queensland, QLD

Care needed.

Used on trim with a brush and was pretty pleased. Tried to roll it onto doors and it's been difficult. It dries too quick and goes tacky which means the final roller strokes disturb the finish. I guess the trick is to complete each door in one go really quickly - but I'm just not that good.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

belinda b.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Tim ! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The Dulux Team.

Dionne

DionneGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

No good. Don't use it

Until I looked at these reviews I thought it was me. I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong. 4 coats and it's patchy with heaps of brush strokes. I primed twice, sanded to begin with. I've painted so many houses with cheaper paint with much better results. The amount of coats I need is rediculous. The paint runs so I need to keep rechecking. Because it dries quickly it's hard to fix up when it runs. I'm so glad it's not me.

Purchased in May 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$90.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted

jss02

jss02Brisbane

Only works if applied by spray

Rolling or brushing this paint leaves a lousy finish and is not worth bothering. It always shows brush lines or roller stipple. I use an airless sprayer and it goes on ok, with some caveats. Best results if you can lay the items flat, it smooths out to a brilliant finish, but upright doors and skirting boards, the finish is much more matte. The problem with airless though is it throws tails no matter what size tip or pressure I use, so it has to be watered down at least 15% which then causes runs. So, it’s a very frustrating product to use. I’ve heard Dulux Steriguard sprays without these issues, but will personally try Dulux Fast Finish next week. Aquanamel is also excessively expensive in Australia and coverage is poor to average.

Purchased in January 2020 at Dulux Trade Centre for A$200.00.

Oscar

OscarGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Stay away, there are better paints and cheaper. Shocking product.

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

James S.Dulux
Frank

FrankSydney, NSW

Terrible coverage.

Bought Dulux paint as we perceived it as a premium brand to paint our new house. What a mistake that was. All products we used had very poor coverage and required multiple applications to achieve average results.

Switched to another brand and got the rest of the job done in a fraction of the time that it took to paint with Dulux.

Purchased in January 2020.

Hobarttown

HobarttownHobart, TAS

Pls see comments below

Purchased in June 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$50.00.

jbambury

jbambury

Excellent Product - not easy to use for non tradesman

Purchased at Inspirations Paint for A$98.00.

MannyjenSydney, NSW

Awful results with many coats on both oil and water based primers

I used a water based stain blocker (2 coats on wood windows) then coats aquanamel. Finish was terrrinle, bleed through was bad. I sanded right back to bare wood, used an oil based primer (2 coats, looked great) then tried aquanamel. After 4 coats I gave up. Finish very patchy. Used same system on door frames, on the 3rd coat (see images). I. Am going to sand back, use oil based primer and oil based topcoat because the finish is. Much better with just one coat of topcoat. The consistency is flour and water, I think I’d get better coverage if I did use flour and water tbh.
Also layers ripped off when removing masking tap. Chipped v easily.

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Find out how Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss compares to other Paints & Varnishes

Great results using this paint as normal

After having used aqua enamel in the past was surprised to read all the bad ratings.

This paint goes on well, providing you don't play with it too much. I used a 50mm brush with a quality foam roller and no issues. Having said that if you do over roll the paint, I noticed tiny bubbles in finish. Easily removed with light roll with no pressure.

Painted the bathroom in 3 hours - 2 coats as well. First coat dried in 2 hours as stated on tin.
My painting skill is pretty average and this paint made the task easy.

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$99.00.

Painted SurfacePlasterboard

Hi Brett
Great to hear of your experience with our Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss, if you have more projects in mind, please call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25, who will be more than happy to assist.
Regards
The Dulux Team

Dreadful product.

I recently used Dulux Aquanamel on kitchen cupboards after replacing the mdf doors. I thought it would give a more hard wearing finish than the acrylic I had used on the previously. The paint is peeling of around door handles and also joins in the wood work. Further patchy application on some doors when weather was warmer. Also painted the bathroom ceiling and the paint is peeling off.

henry h.Dulux

Its pretty awful

Im a high end painter of 13 years. Done ten years in the States and can tell you for me it causes trouble. It self levels too much and drips if it isnt super thin coating. It also dries to quickly causing balling on the finish stroke. I would be horrified to use it if i was a diyer. In my opinion the chemistry of the paint needs to be tweeked. For an ultra premium product it is really average. Sorry dulux up your game.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Julina

JulinaMount gambier

Followed all instructions, very poor adhesion, big time dissapointed

Recently decided on new carpets. Thought while the old ones are out, I'll paint the skirting boards and doors.
Followed the instructions to a tee - Wash, Sand, wash, and wipe.
Whilst the paint flows ok, and is easy to wash up, a month later, paint is peeling/scraping off with ease.
temperature was 14 degrees C which is only 4 above the minimum temp.

Really wish I had stuck with oil enamel. A known thing, rather then try a new paint type.

It is the worst paint I've ever used.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
StephDulux
Leon

LeonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Thought I loved it until it peeled and cracked

I wondered why it had such bad reviews. I thought it was a great product, especially being water based. Within a couple of months the waterproof one stained, cracked and looked awful. That's when I used enamel for the first time and realised how different the products were. Use oil based enamel where appropriate like doors and sills and trims

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great Product

Some of the poor reviews are hard to believe. I’m painting my own 5 bedroom house using only Dulux paints and including Aquaenamel on doors, window frames and skirting boards. Results are outstanding and I am very particular in all that I do. So much better than using a messy enamel paint.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Queen Bee

Queen BeeQueensland

Really Good

I was a bit skeptical using this as a few reviews said it was dry and hard to work with but I actually found it really easy to work with and I live in a really hot dry climate. I actually painted over oiled based window sills and skirts as it was going yellow and this paint is a lovely bright white. I will definitely do all my doors with this paint too!

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Rubbish

Dries too quick on hot days, brush gets gluggy.
Runs if too thick.
I also found second coat began to dissolve the first coat.
Brushing was pulling off the first coat causing lumps.
The worst paint I've ever used in 35 years.
I think it has a short shelf life, and hardwares don't discard paint.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Paintersx56

Paintersx56Australia

Why was it even invented

Terrible vivid white semi gloss paint. Double undercoating on trims, doors, windows etc doesn't help as this rubbish paint does not cover. Paint brush marks are terribly visible and the final work doesn't look attractive at all. It is still shady and the base color comes through. Applied thicker runs down immediately, beyond control. Applied with a small fiber roller looks the best but it can't be applied by the roller everywhere and this is a huge problem with it. Disappointed to the limits!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
wyrmbait

wyrmbaitSouth East Queensland, QLD

Dulux Aquanamel Listen to the Reviews, i didnt....

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Trinity PBuninyong

Pros and cons

It doesn’t smell as bad as enamel which for me was a plus. As the smell of enamel hangs around for weeks. I found it ok on trims but doors the brush marks are too pronounced Leaving me wondering if I’d been better off putting up with the smell for the look.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Caitlin O.Dulux
Trinity P

Ok thanks for your feedback

Curiousasked

Aquanamel Semi Gloss

Hi there, what timber putty/sealer would you recommend to use with a Aquanamel paint on timber skirting as I have got bubbles on all the nail holes previously filled, under latex then double coated in aquanamel? I was told Aquanamel draws water out of the sealers?? Any recommendations to ensure no bubbles?

Ashley

When using Aquanemel I prepared the old surface well before using Dulux 1 step pre coat paint before applying the Semi Gloss. Had no problems with the Polyfilla for Doors and Trims product to fill holes etc.

Curious

Thank you - Yes, used total prep prior to 2 coats of aquanamel, but since the application (over 6mths) the putty has been drawn out of the hole to make a bubble... was told if the putty/filla was water based it would do this?? Just thought I might be able to see the names of product recommended for prep with this paint.

Renee B.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our Aquanamel Semi Gloss paint. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we would like to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 350314, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you as soon as possible. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The Customer Service Team.

Elizabeth B.

Elizabeth B.asked

Aquanamel Semi Gloss

I think I've just painted over the top of Enamel paint with Aquanamel - I painted the trim 24 hours ago and it scratches off easily. The sample I took to the Dulux center for colour matching must have been different to the area I just painted. How do I fix this!?

Lee
Lee

From what I’ve read, you needed to sand the old oil based enamel paint surface first, then clean with sugar soap and put a primer on, otherwise won’t stick. I’m in process of looking into doing same and there’s a lot of prep work first before can put acrylic paint over enamel oil based.

DuluxDulux

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for making contact with us and reaching out for assistance! We would love to assist you further with your project but will require more details from you on your surface preparation. Please contact our Dulux Help & Advice Team on 132525 option 2 for further assistance. Our operating hours are from Monday to Friday from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 8:30 am to 3:00 pm. The Dulux Team

Scotty S.

Scotty S.asked

Does it dry clear

Get an answer from our members and Dulux representatives