Dunlop Grandtrek AT22

Dunlop Grandtrek AT22

See the Best 4WD Tyres in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Dave N

Dave NIllawarra, NSW

At22 review bt50 2016

Have had these for about 35000km. Very quiet on the road. Not bad off road but very light work. Have experienced issues with rear sliding out in the wet and can be a bit scary. I do drive to conditions only thing I don't like is using in the wet. Maybe build up of oil etc with so little rain. Am not looking at something more aggressive off road and still good on road especially in the wet. A hybrid tyre.

Tyre Mileage 35,000 km
Tyre Pressure Used38 PSI
Off-Roading FrequencyWeekly

seanyboy

seanyboyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Ute loses traction in the wet

Similar to other comments, I have a 2018 Ranger done 32000 mostly towing a caravan. Just back home now and twice lost traction in the rear on roundabouts in the wet or slippery condition. Read other posts similar and some disputing this so may be a ute /tyre issue with not enough weight in the rear and tyres with poor traction in the wet. Not sure whether to make them last or that is dangerous.

Purchased in April 2018.

Tyre Mileage 32,000 km
Car ModelFord Ranger PX.II (2015-Present)
Tyre Pressure Used34 PSI
Off-Roading FrequencyNever
VX PRADO

VX PRADOPerth, WA

Premature Sun Damage

Been fairly happy with them supplied OEM on my 2016 VX Prado. 2.5 years and 78000km on, take one in for repair due to nail puncture and the fitters show my wife fine crack all around the sidewall "this is sun damage". Tyre split while being pressed off the rim, with 50% tread still on. I check the rest of tyres and 2 more are affected! I checked date of manufacture, thinking they may be older than the car, 50th week of 2015. 3 years is way too soon to be dead due to sun damage especially for a car that gets regular highway k's and garaged every night! Might just be a bad batch, but seriously not happy. What to do? Do I replace 1 tyre like for like with something I am not happy with, or 5 tyres with 50% tread left so that all are same??

Purchased in June 2016.

Tyre Mileage 78,000 km
Car ModelToyota Prado J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre
Off-Roading FrequencyNever
oridpete

oridpetealbany

don't believe some of these posts

have these on my FJ Cruiser from new 2 years 40,000 kms only half worn ,:) tow a 2 ton caravan at least half those km,s use a roundabout almost every day and never had the slightest issue in the dry or wet and use the roundabout at approx. same speed , I don't believe these other bullpucky reviews stating unsafe in the wet , Ive never had slightest problem with these tyres 265/70/17 A22 .
Regards Peter

Off-Roading FrequencyYearly

Cris

Cris

100000+kms

Got these fitted with a new 2015 Mazda BT50 XTR 4x4 and have gotten over 100,000kms. They are still serviceable, however they get a little m slippery in the wet.

Purchased in August 2015 at Dealership.

Noise Level
Car ModelMazda BT-50 MK2 (2011-Present)
Tyre Pressure Used37 PSI
Off-Roading FrequencyMonthly

JBOFar North Queensland, QLD

Good in the Dry, Crap in the Wet

Purchased in November 2017.

Tyre Mileage 38,000 km
Car ModelFord Ranger PX.II (2015-Present)
Tyre Pressure Used38 PSI
Off-Roading FrequencyYearly

Hi there,
Thank you for your feedback. We are constantly seeking to improve our product offerings and we will certainly forward this on to the appropriate parties for consideration.

Team Dunlop

These are far better than people make out

I have them fitted to a 2009 200 series GXL Landcruiser I have had nearly 120'000 klms from them , changing them for the same tyre now . I have never had a problem with slippage on wet roads ( maybe you other drivers need to adjust your accelerator control and drive to the conditions presented ).

There is a little road noise now mainly because of how low the tread is . Regular tyre rotation and baalncing checks kept these tyres alive for so long .

CarLandcruiser GXL 200 series
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi Dino, thanks so much for your review. It's great to hear that you've clocked so many km's with your Dunlop Grandtrek AT22s on your Landcruiser! Cheers, Team Dunlop

Rayser46Gowrie

Poor Wet grip

My new Mazda BT 50 came fitted with these and I have only done 1600 KLM on them including some dirt roads but mainly local and highway driving. On the highway and the limited dirt roads, the tires performed well. The first bit of rain yesterday and suddenly I was sliding all over the place. Spun the wheels off the line at the lights and then on a straight bit of road, the car suddenly slid sideways. Now roundabouts are like driving a dodgem car. I may have to look for better tyres as soon as the drought breaks.

CarMazda BT 50 XTR
Rayser46

These tyres are dangerous and I have asked Mazda to replace them or I will lodge a formal complaint about how dangerous they are in the wet.

Freedom Guy

Freedom Guy

In my Pajero, Great in Wet and Dry but sidewall not tested yet

AT22s came with my Pajero - Perhaps well suited to Pajero - Handles perfectly in 2wd in the wet (didnt have the same experience as others). Went from these to Hankok Dynapros and all of a sudden have lost traction when offroading.

On AT22s, previously drove straight from paved roads and up mountain on 45 degree dirt, rock and grass tracks. With Hankoks, I now I have to change pressure right down. Highly inconvenient - I think the Hankoks are too hard a tyre, and just dig up the mud and slide (ruined my acreage lawn!). Places the AT22s took me on 2WD, I now need , 4WD and Difflock, and Im sliding everywhere!!

4 Stars as I havent truly tested the side wall enough

Car2012 Pajero Diesel. Stock suspension
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi there, thanks for your review of your Dunlop Grandtrek AT22 tyres. It's great to hear you found them to be a great fit for your Pajero. We hope you continue to enjoy offroading in your AT22s! Thanks, Team Dunlop

Weiry

WeiryGold Coast

Disappointing tyre do not buy.

I purchased a brand new Mazda BT50 which came fitted with the Dunlop AT22 tyres. These Dunlop AT22 Grandtrek on the wet road skid sideways when moving off from traffic lights also manuvering round abouts in the wet very very dangerous. These tyres should not be used, I will be replacing them.

CarMazda BT50
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi there, thanks for your review. We're very sorry to hear you had this experience with your Mazda BT50. Please let us know if you require further assistance. Thanks, Team Dunlop

nombe

nombeCanberra

Best tyre on milage, Word tyre on sliprage

Five tyres on my FJ cruiser as factory. Having run the tyres on my vehicle slightly more than 80k for now, mostly for on-road and moderate off-road. The tread is about 2mm left for front (and 3 mm for rear). I am happy with the tyres in terms of mileage and durability.

However, I am very unhappy with safety concern when it is wet - in particular, on a roundabout. Basically, it is extremely vulnerable to slippage on a roundabout, no matter whether you are driving as slow as crawling. And even when pulling out on road, lawn and unpaved road.

For the reasons, I am thinking of replacing the tyres with another brand, and my research is still in progress.

CarFJ Cruiser

Bill

BillNewcastle

Absolutely Dangerous in the Wet

These tyres are extremely dangerous in the wet and marginal in the dry. Like other respondents, I don't think I should leave these tyres on my vehicle any longer. As such, further comment regarding effect on performance and durability is superfluous. The Dunlop AT22 should be removed from the market.
A word for those expounding the virtues of these tyres:
 you are mistaken (or are making untruthful comment because of a commercial interest in this product)
 you put yourself and passengers in extreme danger whenever you drive in the wet
 you put other road users at risk

Car2017 Ford Ranger XLT

Nicky

NickyMargate

Quiet, but hopeless in the wet and easily punctured

The Dunlops came standard on my 2018 Ranger XLT. They've only done 15,000 kms, but I'm about to change them for either Goodyear Duratracs or BF Goodrich ATs - depending on availability. The Grandtreks are not all-terrain tyres. Not by any means. They puncture easily, and they are seriously frightening on wet roads and loose gravel. Forget about going anywhere near mud!

CarFord Ranger XLT and Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi Nicky, thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear that you weren't happy with the AT22s on your Ranger. Please let us know if you have any questions or require further assistance. Thanks, Team Dunlop

Heath Brown

Heath BrownCanberra

Longetivity of tyres

Probably the best AT tyre I have ever owned. I have got a whopping 86,000km from the original set on a FJ Cruiser. No issues reported dry or wet. I am staying with the same brand good value for money, quiet ride I am impressed and of to Costco to replace with the same.

CarFJ Cruiser
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi Heath, thanks for the fantastic review. We're stoked to hear you've been enjoying the AT22s on your FJ Cruiser :) Team Dunlop

Tony

TonyCairns

One of the worst tyres I have had on my New Pajero

These tyres are pretty awful in the wet and I have had a few unprovoked slides which I caught before the car tried to turn itself into a disaster. On one trip the tyres lost grip on a small wet slope and we ended up sliding back a bit which was a bit interesting.On dry roads they seem ok and quiet but they will be replaced before the wet season arrives.

CarPajero NX
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi Tony, we're sorry to hear you're not happy with the AT22s in wet weather. Thank you for leaving your honest review and if you have any questions or require assistance please let us know. Cheers, Team Dunlop.

Dangerous in the Wet!

These tyres came standard on my new 2017 Pajero and have delivered numerous scary experiences. In 40 years of driving I've never driven on a worse tyre in the wet. They have next to no grip around tight corners like roundabouts and T merging lanes and are just plain dangerous in my view. I'm glad that we are in drought this year and have not had a normal wet winter as i hope to get these things replaced before the next one comes.

Car2017 Mitsubishi Pajero
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi Mark, thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear you're not happy with this tyre's performance in the wet. If you require any further assistance or have any questions please let us know.

Good kms

Got these standard on my 2015 XLT Ranger, handle well on any dry surface and very quiet on the road and still have 40% tread left at 60k. They handle off road really well but scary as hell to say the least in the wet as they have massive traction issues with torquey cars on wet roads.

Car2015 XLT Ranger
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi Andy, thanks for the review and it's awesome to see that you've gotten great mileage out of the AT22s. We're sorry to hear you're not happy with the performance in the wet, please let us know if you require further assistance at all. Team Dunlop

Just perform without fault

Have had the AT 22 on my 200 cruiser since new. I’ve now traveled over 200,000km and out to purchase some more. No failures, no wet road issues and averaging 70,000km per set. Off road performance is far better than I expected and the on road grip and response excellent. I have tried other AT tyres on other vehicles but when the 200 needs a new set the AT 22 goes back on.

CarToyota 200
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi there, it's great to hear that the AT22s are your go-to tyre for your Toyota! We really appreciate you taking the time to write this and cheers for the five stars! Team Dunlop

Algard74

Algard74Illawarra, NSW

Weak sidewalls

Got these on a Ford Everest. Travelled 48000km so far. Got about 30% tread left.
As a road tyre I think they’re good. Haven’t had any problems in the wet as others claim. Pretty quiet on the highway.
As an off-road tyre I don’t think they’re up to task. We got a sidewall cut on our first outing. I didn’t realise the tyre was damaged until we were on our way home traveling 110km/h along the freeway & the tyre blew out & got shredded. Scary stuff.
I will not be getting these tyres again.

CarFord Everest
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi there, thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear that this happened while you were off-roading. Please let us know if you require further assistance at all. Team Dunlop

Pteropus

PteropusAU

Never had a tyre as good as this

When I bought my Ranger XLT in January 2016, I looked at the tyres and thought they won’t last long. I hate being wrong but these tyres have been great. 57000 at present. Only time it has got loose in the back end is where there has been diesel or oil dropped on the road and it’s wet. I have never seen these problems with wet weather driving that others mention. Maybe I am slowing down in my old age. I’m looking to get some replacement ones, not because my original ones are performing badly, just because at 57000 I think I should. 99% on road but travel short distances every day on loose gravel and a 4WD track.

CarRanger 2015 XLT
Dunlop T.Dunlop Tyres

Hi there, we just want to thank you for such an honest and awesome review. We're stoked to hear that the AT22s are best tyres you've had and glad to hear you're replacing the tyres at regular intervals