Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy

Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy

MPNs: 214891-01 and 36262391

Dyson Review for barrel vacuum cleaner

WARNING – WARNING – the ball wheel will BREAK OFF if pulled around wall corners and catches or catches on furniture. If left un-repaired, it will scratch hard surfaces.
This has happened twice over 2 years [once by myself and the other time by a helper] and for a $700+ machine there is a design flaw in that the half spheres on either side of the units are held on by a flimsy plastic fitting.

Their selling ploy is “”Steers easily around obstacles and follows without the awkward moves””” I suggest this is false advertising
Frank
7 May 2019

This is certainly not what we would expect from any Dyson machine and we are happy to help get this sorted. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch to assist. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

Don’t buy one!!!!!

Bought the Dyson last week, so disappointed. The head is hard to use on tiles, it’s stiff to push. Not like my old Dyson. Also the attachment does not have as strong suction, as old model. Contacted Dyson they told me to buy a a hand stick, I was hoping for a replacement, The person I spoke to had no idea what she was talking about. What a waste of $699. So frustrated.

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $699.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Daily
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
Clogging Issues No
Hi Karen, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine and experience. I am sorry to hear about this, there are certainly alternate floor tools available for the Cinetic Big Ball which sound like it would improve your experience with your machine on hard floors. We would kindly ask you to eamil auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in tocuh very shortly and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Won't be buying Dyson again

I purchased the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy vacuum cleaner nearly one year ago. At first I was impressed by its suction and it seemed to remove a lot more dirt than our old Dyson. Although, upon initial use on our hard-floor areas, I noticed that the supplied turbine head would just flick dirt and larger particles around the room. I had to purchase another Dyson hard-floor head, which does a better job but clogs up with dust very quickly.

After using it for some weeks, I noticed a number of things; it would require emptying multiple times during the course of one house clean (our house is not large). One of the joints on the articulating wand arm would frequently pinch the skin on my arm leaving a significant purple bruise. This 'pinching' has happened to me on multiple occasions since and it has also happened to my mother on one occasion when she used the vacuum cleaner. The bin emptying mechanism is clunky and doesn't work very well - I have also found that if you do not click the bottom lid shut perfectly after emptying, it will open the next time you remove it from the vacuum cleaner, spilling dirt everywhere in your house (this just happened to me for the hundredth time - hence this review - I've had enough!). The anti-topple feature works but you still have to stand there and wait for the vacuum cleaner to correct itself so it doesn't actually 'save time'. The suction is odd - while it seems to suck well on carpet, and does appear to vacuum up a lot of dirt, if I take the head off and try to vacuum up something small - like a dead fly on a window sill - it struggles to pick it up. I have tested this by putting my hand near the end of the hose when it is on and it feels weirdly like a gentle breeze. Although, if you actually place your hand over the entire nozzle it does have a decent amount of suction. This is just an unusual observation I have made, but there is something 'off' about the suction on this unit.

After nearly one year of use, it requires even more constant emptying (sometimes 3 or 4 times a clean) and it loses suction significantly. It also gets extremely hot during use - so hot you can barely touch the barrel. This makes the room hot and vacuum cleaning is now just a sweaty workout.

On the positives, I do like the fact that I can vacuum under the entire bed due the flexibility of the hose and its hinges. It can vacuum, although - depending on how you look at it - not very efficiently. I do like the longer electrical cord too. The telescopic handle is great for someone like me (5'11"). The emptying function is handy, it just need significant refinements.

I'm not interested in a replacement, or a free trip to the Dyson repair shop. I'm really just waiting for the day this product of planned obsolescence explodes and is no longer usable - then I will buy something else.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi there, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson machine. Please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch to assist further. Best wishes, Shan

Excellent all round! Highly recommended!

These are great machines, it NEVER tips over, it might lean over if you bump into something (for me its door frames) but it just rolls back upright and doesn't damage what its knocked.
It has really good suction and gets right into the carpet for a deep clean.
The only thing you do need to beware of is if something gets stuck in the small hole between the head and the hose then the 'bits' you normally vacuum up might just get flicked around... but as soon as you clear it (it has only happened to me once) then it is as good as new!
I think I have only had to clean the brush once since I have had it.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the long crevice tool with the soft bristled brush as it makes dusting so EASY! I use it on window sills, blinds, roof, walls, and any general surfaces... dusting without the scratches!!

Date PurchasedOct 2017

I'm very frustrated with my Dyson Ball

My Dyson ball vacuum does not vacuum forwards, ie I can only vacuum is by pulling the vacuum back (not forward). I am very frustrated with it. I have cleaned out everything and know there are no blockages. Would appreciate the answer to why my vacuum can't vacuum forwards on my carpet.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are having trouble pushing your machine forward, this isn't normal operation. So we can assist, we would kindly ask for you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be more than happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Shan

Can’t live without this vacuum

Absolutely love it, it does an excellent job! The suction is fantastic on both carpet and tiles. I only have to vacuum once a week and my house stays clean. This vacuum is also easy to clean. What can I say, I am a happy customer. Its a bit pricey bout worth the money.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Should have bought a chapter brand

We got this because we needed it for allergys but it hasn't made much a difference and could have spent a lot less on a cheap brand one that would do the same job. The only thing is great is the sucktion power but we still have allergy issues so hasn't helped with that

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Cinetic Big Ball machine. Should you wish to discuss any concerns with us, please feel free to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be more than happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

Dismal, disappointing and to many flaws! :(

I can't believe how far backwards dyson have come. As a long time dyson user, I have purchased them (despite their ridiculous prices) because they have always been well built and worked well. However this will be my last dyson - the quality has seriously declined and they have developed a number of flaws which include:

* The machine is purple but labelled 'Big Ball Allergy' which is really strange because the Allergy only comes in
blue and the purple machine they sell is called the Animal. I contacted dyson and they didn't want anything to do
with it

* Dust builds up around vents instead of falling to bottom of canister. This causes loss of suction and the brush
head to stop spinning, therefore running straight over particles which it should be picking up

* By far the loudest of all vacs I have heard or used - not really a fault but excessive noise is obviously not
something that they focus on reducing

*Makes a really high pitched screeching/whistling noise (not the normal machine noise) when twisting/moving the
handle to the side. This is quite irritating - I have pulled all connections apart to inspect but there appears no
obstructions to be causing this.

* Was really looking forward to the hygienic emptying but the latch is incredibly difficult to slide down to empty and
even more so to slide back up and close it

* Head is very narrow (good for fitting in tiny places, but the extra accessories can do this). Don't know why dyson
didn't keep the same size head as it takes twice as long to do the vacuuming now the head is twice as small.

* Canister is so tiny, I can only get 3 rooms done before its full. The previous dyson could do the whole house
about 4 times (4 bedrooms, including loungeroom, kitchen, bathroom, rumpus) before filling.

* Power cord is extremely short - I have to turn the vac off and plug it into every room I do whereas the previous
dyson could almost do the whole house from the one powerpoint.

* Fabric strip which helps protect flooring fell off the bottom of the cleaning head after a short time. Overall quality is a concern - I can't help but think how much longer the machine which isn't even a yr old will last (the previous dyson lasted 15 yrs).

* Brush head stops easily - we have only 1 female and no pets in the house, yet when using the brush head it gets the slightest bit of hair in it and stops spinning. I have to stop the machine and take the head apart to clean (not to mention the lock to get the brush out is very tight and difficult to get unlocked).

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hi Brad, I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Cinetic Big Ball machine. Could you please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com? We would value the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Shan

Two years And That Is The End Of This Disaster.

I researched long and hard before making the switch from Meile to the Dyson Big Ball Allergy. I bought this at Harvey Norman, thankfully in a sale.
Within three months a wheel snapped off one side. At first I spilled the contents a lot but soon became used to emptying. Regardless, its hard to close without dust flying everywhere.
The worst thing is hair. As others have stated, as soon as a few hairs are in the head you have to stop and cut them out with scissors. The black bristles wore out quickly so I replaced that part. Hang on, is hair the worst thing? Probably not! The performance on carpets has doubled my time trying to get any fluff up whatsoever. Over and over the same spot and seems to mostly only work backwards.
I find it reasonable on wooden floors although it sometimes does scatter bits here and there and I find myself taking the head off and just using the suction wand. I have one short hair cat and two non shedding dogs. Am now shopping for a vacuum that works. What a waste of money this fiasco has been!

Date PurchasedOct 2016

False advertising

I am taking these guys to consumer affairs.
The ad says “engineered for allergies” we literally left the doctors after receiving results oh being highly allergic to dustmites to purchase this machine. We searched for the best money could by and forked our $799 of our hard earned on this new machine. The ad claims to “hygienically eject the dirt” however all we have found is to be covered by dust every time we open it. Have had it serviced, have had it checked, have had a replacement dust bin sent out yet this continues to spit dust. Looking forward to a full refund being awarded by consumer affairs after they enticed the purchase with false claims.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Chris, Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your Dyson machine. So we can discuss your concerns, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson experts will be in touch to assist. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, MiraHi Mira, we are well beyond pleasantries, the ACCC will be in touch. Just ensuring future customers are well informed. Kind Regards,

Double the dirt holder than our old vacuum

Our old unknown name brand vacuum died last year so on the hunt for a new one we went and decided to buy this one as it holds double the amount of dirt and dust than our old one did. We went ball because we have extremely sharp corner walls turns and it works very well

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good but not convenient

It is a bit heavy. The suction seems good but not easy to maneuver. Emptying the dust is not easy to use. You have to use something to take out the rubbish out of it. I bought it for dust allergy, i have just two normal size rugs. But not really sure specifically good for dust allergies.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Terrible save your money

I’ve had this vacuum for over a month now I brought it to replace my old Dyson which I’ve had for 10 years it was amazing this vacuum however is not. It’s terrible the head on it is so hard to use and doesn’t pick everything up. So I purchased another head the wooden floor one and it’s a little better but gets blocked up. The machine is awkward to use. And having to change heads on my couch and rugs is painful. The little plastic clip that you use to empty is hopeless it unclips very easy. The head it comes with gets hair stuck in it and I’m consistently having to stop the vacuum and clear the heads. I contacted Harvey Norman and Dyson after I use this twice and neither was Interested anything I had to say. So I’m stuck with a very expensive useless vacuum.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hi Sami, Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear about this. To discuss this further with us please email our Dyson experts at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, your product review and the machine's serial number and we will be in touch to help. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dysonYour customer service is as good as the machine ! What a waste of time contacting you, you were no help whatsoever.Hi Sami, Thanks for your reply and sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the reply you received. Please see the following video support for this machine, particularly the bin troubleshooting, clearing the brushbar and checking for blockages: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDfU9nMES75PQOGQwSwR43dM-XhgdD4n8 To discuss this further with us, or for further assistance, please email us at auaskdyson@dyson.com. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dyson

Disappointing...

I bought this vacuum cleaner less than two years ago. I thought it was a lot of money but had heard good things about Dyson from Australian friends (we lived OS for 9 years). I immediately had trouble with the bristles on the head which sheared off in parts. I had to dismantle the head regularly to cut out the strands of hair wrapped around it, with scissors. (Have never had to do this with any other vacuum cleaner) Over the months, various parts of the casing have broken off - the two small ball parts near the head were first to go, now the large ball halves have broken off too. I could glue them back on but they are supposed to rotate like wheels. Now I have bare screw ends sticking out, waiting to scratch my walls. We do not use it roughly at all, so I'm really disappointed. Not good value for money.

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Hi Helen, Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced. As your machine is still under the Dyson 2 year guarantee we would urge you to contact us at auaskdyson@dyson.com with the serial number of your machine and contact details. One of our experts will be in touch as soon as possible to assist and help you resolve these issues. Best wishes, Samuel Facebook.com/Dyson

Can’t live without my Dyson vacuum cleaner!

I am so grateful to have found this vacuum machine as it has a great suction on it and picks up everything as I have two special needs children and cats that require me to vacuum everyday! It’s so light to use as I have bulging discs and can’t lift heavy things! Even my boys can use it as it’s light enough to carry around as I have a large two story house with five bedrooms house. It’s great on floor boards and rugs! It’s very quiet and very easy to manoeuvre. I would recommend everyone to buy one to use. Thank you Dyson!
Shirley Marjanovic

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great vacume cleaner

Our kids love this vacuum cleaner. The only issue we have is the cord after a while goes back inside on its own but only by a small amount. The kids think it's funny looking like a snail but hay it gets the job done and they use it too it's that easy

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi Glen, Thanks for your review. If you continue to experience trouble with the cord retract, the machine may need to be assessed at a Dyson service centre. Please email our Dyson experts at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, the machine's serial number and a description of the issue and we will be happy to help. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dyson

Worst vacuum iv'e had.

Big ball allergy Dyson vacuum is good for 2 minutes, my house is not dirty but a little dust accumulated at the back will stop my vac from sucking. I have a small three bedroom house and have to empty it about 10 times very frustrating. Not worth the money we paid. Taking it back to domayne where I bought it.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi there, Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your machine. Please email our Dyson experts at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, a description of the issue and the machine's serial number and we will be happy to help. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dyson

Beyond disappointed

Very disappointed in our Allergy Big Ball, purchased specifically because I fell for the marketing of ‘allergy friendly’ the dust bin closes with one tiny clip and never seals properly, dust is always leaking out. We’ve had our machine serviced and looked at and apparently I have been closing it incorrectly, I’ve closed it exactly how I was shown and still having issues. Today in front of my husband I removed the dust bin from the machine to empty it and the lid flipped open and the entire house worth of dust fell all over my floor. My husband was shocked and being an engineer could not believe one tiny clip is meant to support the lid closed. When I mentioned to the Dyson service rep about how I purchased this due to my severe allergy problems she said ‘we only call it an allergy machine because it comes with a mattress tool’ well didn’t I feel foolish, I have literally fallen for a marketing joke and now am stuck with a vacuum cleaner I hate which cost me a fortune. I should have stuck with my trusty Miele. I only blame myself for getting sucked into wanting ‘the best Dyson’ but at the time I wanted the best to keep dust from irritating myself and my family, Dyson aren’t willing to help me with offering me a better machine or a refund so hopefully this review will stop someone else from purchasing it and having the same issues. I’m so severely allergic to house dust mites that it can make me sick for days, having a vacuum cleaner that literally spits the dust back in my face even though it’s labeled Allergy is beyond a joke.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Rosie, We are sorry to hear that you feel this way about your machine. To discuss further with us please email auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, the feedback from your review and the machine's serial number and we will be in touch as soon as possible. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dysonHi Mira unfortunately I have been through your service department who continued to tell me the issues were my own doing and also that this machine is only labelled ‘allergy’ because it comes with a ‘mattress tool’. I feel like my last contact with your service department was them just telling me this is how bagless machines work. I don’t believe this is my doing with the machine and judging by some other reviews this seems to be a bit of an issue, I guess it’s not a problem if you aren’t highly allergic to house dust. I walked out of a doctors office after they told me I’m at the extreme end of the scale for allergies with house dust mite, he told me buy a good vacuum cleaner and vacuum daily, I went to The Good Guys to inquire about the latest allergy big ball machine and if this would be the best option. The sales rep said yes! As per your website dirt is hygenically ejected without needing to touch the dust, this is impossible. Whether I only vacuum a few square metres or a few bedrooms the issue is the same. This is not allergy friendly and I believe your advertising is false. Unless you can offer me a full refund we have already exhausted all avenues with Dyson.Hi Rosie, Thank you for your reply. We do apologise for any disappointment, however we would need to look into your situation further. If you could please email us, our Dyson Experts will be in touch shortly to assist. Best wishes, Shan Facebook.com/Dyson

Superb vacuum

Brilliant vacuum cleaner. Strong suction. No negative smell emitted. Excellent tools for versatile cleaning. Clean effortless emptying, requiring no touching of anything dusty and dirty. You can place the barrel inside a bag to empty and nothing puffs up in your face, keeping you allergen free. This vacuum ticks all boxes. Exceptional. Thanks Dyson.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

It Suck But A Disappointing Head.

I have long been loyal to and a fan of the Dyson brand but having recently purchased a Big Ball Allergy from David Jones I am genuinely disappointed. While build quality is all that you would expect from the Dyson, the turbine head attached to this unit is woeful, on hard floors it will not pick up anything larger than a dust particle, kicking anything larger about not leaving floors clean. The suction is good but this unit of little to no use to anyone who has a hard or wooden floor without purchasing a dedicated hardwood floor head. Given the price point, in my view this should be included with the vacuum - the turbine head simply does
not work on hard floors.

March 2nd 2019 Update: Great disappointment.

Don't believe the 'reinvention of the vacuum' spin. The Big Ball Kinetic, Allergy is a great disappointment.
Correct me if I am wrong but I was of view that the intention of the invention is to lift dust and dirt from a floor surfaces - it fails to do so. The heads do not work well. We own the power head (supplied with the unit) and later purchased the swivel hard floor tool.
The power head, on hard floors can only be described as ordinary at best. It successfully brushes dirt but takes as many as three to four passes to collect. It is also incapable of picking up a leaf or anything larger than a 10c piece - Something a 1980's hoover was/is very capable of.
The hard floor head is not a great deal better, the thing struggles to pick up a very small, dry dog biscuit.
As a consumer I feel the brand place the belief in their our technology ahead of form and function. The vacuum, at a high price point, does not work well and causes much frustration - a great shame as I first purchased the original Dyson some 15 years ago, and it worked. Very well.
I will be shelving my most recent Big Ball purchase and will not be buying another.

Purchased in October 2018 for $699.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Weekly
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Clogging Issues Yes
Hi Heath, Thanks for your review and we are sorry to hear your feedback. The brushbar in the Turbine Head that comes with your machine has 2 rows of bristles, one row is nylon which is designed to pick up on carpet and for larger debris and one row of fine black carbon fibre bristles which are the best antistatic fibre for pick up of fine dust and general household debris on hard floors. With some hard floor types, a specialized hard floor head may provide a better result, this head comes standard on the Cinetic Big Ball Animal and Animal Pro variants. To help rule out any other issues that could be reducing the pick up on hard floor or to order an articulating hard floor tool please reach out to our Dyson experts at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, a description of the issue and the machine's serial number and we will be more than happy to help. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dysonThanks for your reply, Mira. We did as you suggested, ordering an Articulating Hard Flood head via the Dyson website, only to receive the wrong part in the form of a Swivelling Hard Floor head - NOT compatible our vacuum. HeathHi Heath, Thanks for your reply. The articulating hard floor tool that is available from the website: http://shop.dyson.com.au/accessories/articulating-hard-floor-tool-920018-05 This tool can be used with your machine in conjunction with the small adaptor with a silver oval catch on one side and the red quick release catch on the other end, this adaptor came in the box with your machine. Alternatively, there is a specialized Quick Release hard floor tool designed specifically for the Big Ball and Cinetic Big Ball machines. This is not available at stores or on our website, but it available direct from Dyson Customer Care. Please email our Dyson experts at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, a description of the issue, your order details and the machine's serial number and we will be more than happy to help. Please copy and paste our discussion into the email as this will provide context and enable a quicker resolution for you. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dyson

See all Dyson Cinetic Big Ball reviews

We have a dyson cinetic big ball allergy ... the power head has just stopped working. We have dismantled and reassembled the head and there are no blockages and there are no blockages in the machine. It still has good suction, just the power brush is not working. Any ideas?
Hey, Make sure it's not tangled with hair or anything like that (cotton etc)Hi Mumof4boys. Thanks, we have done that too with no success.Hi Robert, I am sorry to hear about this. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be more than happy to help in getting this resolved. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you. Best wishes, Shan

I have a Dyson 214891-01 Cinetic Big Ball Allergy Barrel Vacuum and recently bought a Dyson 920018 Swivel Hard Floor Attachment, but it does not fit my vacuum! This is despite it being advertised as "fits all models except DC01, DC21 Motorhead, DC23 Motorhead and cordless models". Is there an adapter to make it fit?
Hi Rain, Thank you for your query. In the box included with your Cinetic Big Ball machine at time of purchase, there is an adaptor included to allow use of accessories purchased at store. You can see it in use here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGAgc2Cw6wg If we can assist further, please just reach out via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be more than happy to help. Best wishes, Shan Facebook.com/Dyson

I have just brought this today, great suction lasted about 10 minutes, it already doesnt suck very well! Emptied it and checked for blockages (definatly not, because i only vacuumed a small area). This is so disappointing! Does anyone have advice?
I would take straight back to your retailer for an exchange.Hi Catherine, Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear about this, understanding you have checked for blockages, we would encourage you to double check just in case. You can find our blockage checkpoints here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/cy23_new/dyson-cinetic-big-ball-allergy/my-machine-is-not-working/checking-for-blockages-step-by-step-guide-dmft/removing-blockages-from-the-turbine-head If this doesn't solve the problem, please give our Dyson Experts a call on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy and we will be happy to help. Our team are available Monday - Friday 8 am - 8 pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30 am - 4 pm AEDST. Best wishes, Shan Facebook.com/Dyson

Cinetic Big Ball Allergy