MPNs: 214892-01 and 36262392

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (21) · No (6)
  • Clogging Issues Yes (3) · No (24)
Dallas H.

Dallas H.South East Queensland, QLD

Very disappointing

Used on timber and carpet floors. Blows dust from rear. Turbo head flicks debris everywhere. Constantly tips over. Power button does not switch off when pushed. Release button jams when emptying. Despite cleaning repeatedly the unit now has a electrical burning smell so we have discontinued using. We assumed we were buying a quality machine for $700. Not happy at all.

Purchased in August 2018 for $699.00.

timothy.oldmeadow

timothy.oldmeadowSydney Surrounds, NSW

Can't handle dog fur

Purchased in April 2018 for $700.00.

Floor TypeCarpet
Leonard

LeonardSydney, NSW

Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal

Purchased in January 2018 at Dyson for $700.00.

Floor TypeCarpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood
Clogging IssuesYes
Barrel Vacuum Cleaners

Find out how Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal compares to other Barrel Vacuum Cleaners

Max D.

Max D.Perth, WA

Really great machine but

Got this machine a few months ago to replace my dc08 turbine after the second motor went out. I had high expectations and they were all met it picks up the dirt like nothing else. the tangle free turbine is a great improvement from older models and I love the fact that’s there’s no filters to clean or replace. there is some downfalls 1. The bin never fills up evenly all the dirt will fill all the way to the top at the back and there will be none at the front of the bin. This is a issue my old Dyson only did when sucked up a lot of dirt at one time. 2. I have read reviews that the bin open randomly and yes that has happened to me but only once. Other than that it’s worth the money and a great product

Purchased in March 2020 at Harvey Norman for $699.00.

TAO1

TAO1Auckland

Frustrating

I wanted to love my Dyson but I don’t. I expected more for the price. The suction is good but the fact that the dust container lid pops open occasionally by itself spilling dust everywhere is a huge downside. Dyson keeps saying it’s not supposed to do that but the fact that many reviews complain about this might indicate that it is a design flaw. Very annoying. Wish you would just accept it’s an issue and fix this.

Purchased at Noel Leeming for $799.00.

Krankypants

KrankypantsNorthern Region, NSW

Its True What They Say About Dyson Vacs

Floor TypeCarpet, Linoleum and Tiles
Clogging IssuesNo

Motors in these are absolute rubbish

My Dyson Animal lasted two years. It's use has been household carpet and vinyl flooring. A few days ago the unit started producing a screaming sound which I took to be a bearing failure. I fitted a new motor and. Upon examining the old motor found the end cap on the motor housing had fatigued totally and allowed the amature to contact the outer section. The casing is unbelievably thin.

Purchased in September 2018 for $699.00.

Floor TypeCarpet and Linoleum
Clogging IssuesYes
Nat

NatHobart, TAS

Not worth It

Purchased 3 years ago & only tried to use it twice before putting it in garage as after going over an over fluff on the carpet I had to bend down and pick it up. ( So just use my v6 slim cordless) Thought it was my carpet 3 yrs later it’s still new so just tried on my mums carpet as it’s been just sitting in the box unused and the same thing happens it sucks on your hand but picks hardly anything up after 10mins use the V6 slim again is full in minutes!!

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman.

Product is usedRarely
larissa.antusoa

larissa.antusoaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Zero Stars - Don't waste your money

Purchased in January 2019.

Barrel Vacuum Cleaners

Not for long fur, weak suction

We bought this as we have four long haired pets. Be warned the animal description only applies to short fur, not long fur which immediately blocks the head.
When we complained the Dyson rep sounded like this isn't the first time they have heard this issue.

Very weak suction, have to go over everything twice. Have gone back to our 6 year old electrolux which is far more powerful. Dyson appears to be nothing but marketing hype.

Purchased in September 2019 at Noel Leeming for $700.00.

Cushla J

Cushla JRichmond-Tweed, NSW

It is a great vacuum

Purchased in August 2018 for $360.00.

Floor TypeTiles
adam

adamWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Love dyson

My dyson cinetic big ball animal arrived today FANTASTIC MACHINE......
Anyone thinking if buying a dyson dont hesitate you will love it. All i am waiting on now is the 3 free accessories to arrive..

Purchased in November 2019 at Dyson.com.au for $699.00.

glidagidaHunter Region, NSW

Very brittle plastic.

Functionally it is a vacuum with strong suction, too strong for carpet without reducing the suction. That said, I am not happy with the construction, after 12 months 3 plastic parts have broken in normal use. Another is failing, the barrel has star cracks on the underside where it is buried in the machine. All told poor construction, the plastic is too brittle.

Purchased in November 2018 at Harvey Norman for $450.00.

Glorious Target

Glorious TargetPerth, WA

Good product

This product is strong and has lots of little pieces that can help me with my vacuuming. I bought it mainly for my cats hairs on the sofa and it does that so good.

Purchased in April 2019 at The Good Guys Physical store.

tjr

tjrSouth East Queensland, QLD

Follow up on previous review

Dyson contacted me with regards to my negative review, after a lot of ‘backwards and forwards’ I was contacted by Taryn who went above and beyond to get my machine fixed and returned to me with a warranty on new parts. This is a much better result than I expected or even considered. Clearly Dyson believe and stand by their product. I hope it lives up to the hype this time. Thank you Dyson, your assistance is very much appreciated

Purchased in September 2017 at Masters Home Improvement for $700.00.

Brooke

BrookeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Big ball animal

This is a fantastic vacuum cleaner I love my Dyson. It has great suction we have hard floor and carpet so does the job well, great attachments easy to use

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman for $620.00.

rustyblueCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

great suction, pity about the plastic

Although its a great suction unit for getting dog hair off almost everything (with 3 goldens its a must !) I find that the brush bar is not very long lasting - and tends to break off easily - I have had to replace it once in the first 12 months, so that was okay, under warranty, and now it has happened again over the last couple of months, the machine itself is out of warranty, but the brush is only 12 months old, so waiting to see if under warranty - hope so, these days things are not made to last -

Purchased in June 2017 for $700.00.

rustyblue

Have been in touch...sent all relevant info when asked, but have not yet heard back as to a replacement.

Momma-Sar

Momma-SarPerth, WA

Great all round vacuum

I love this vacuum. We have a cat who sheds all year round so we have to vacuum very regularly. We have tiled floors as well as a few rugs through the house and it is great for day to day use. It doesn’t quite get all the bits off of a plush rug in comparison to our last vacuum so you have to spend quite some time going back and forth but for a flat rug and the floor boards it’s perfect. As it’s a ball vacuum, I’ve not experienced it tipping over when pulling it around like I have with others similar. The only thing I’d prefer is longer bristles on the head as when vacuuming the timber floor, it can sometimes scratch so you have to be careful.

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $500.00.

Janet E.

Janet E.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Can't fault Dyson!

This cleaner does everything it promises! I wouldn't have any other brand. With two very hairy dogs you need a vacuum cleaner that has the best suction but is kind to your floor coverings.

E.Egan

E.EganHunter Region, NSW

Easy to use and no filter

Easy to use, great suction and no cleaning of the filter required. The additional attachments are great for stairs and blinds and the new handle means it's easy to push around.

Purchased in July 2019.

See all Dyson Cinetic Big Ball reviews

LJP48

LJP48asked

Cinetic Big Ball Animal

Dyson - I am very excited about my new vacuum and think I may just have to figure out how to work some aspects. I have used it four or five times. I have had a few trial and error mistakes with the bin not being properly closed and vacuuming dirt all over. Hopefully I've solved that. My turbine head seems very noisy and I'm thinking I probably should be wearing ear protectors. I thought maybe something is clogging it - I have cleaned the brushes on the turbine head a few times as my long hair is wrapping around the roller. I have removed it all but still very noisy and I'm feeling the suction isn't as good as it was the first day. My husband tried it and it was too loud for him and he operates our leaf blower with enthusiasm. The wand seems to be fastened properly. I do feel like it is a simple fix but I just can't find what it is.

Kylee

Kyleeasked

Cinetic Big Ball Animal

Why does mine smell bad when it has never been wet or vacuumed up wet material? How do you clean it thoroughly?

DysonDyson

If a smell is coming from your machine, this can indicate either something with a strong scent or some dust containing a high moisture content has been vacuumed up. We recommend carrying out the following steps which may dispel any odour.

After emptying you may rinse the clear bin in cold water, ensuring that no detergents are used. Please don't remove the seals whilst washing the clear bin and most importantly ensure that the clear bin is completely dry before placing back onto the machine. Please note that the cyclone top assembly, which attaches on top of the bin, must be removed and is not washable. You can find instructions on how to remove the cyclone here: https://support.dyson.com.au/supportHome.aspx/Vacuums/Cylinders/Dyson-Cinetic-Big-Ball/214892-01/maintaining-your-dyson-machine/cleaning-the-bin

We also recommend to let the hose, floor tool and wand of your machine air out for 24-48 hours, ideally somewhere safe, dry and sunny.

If you find the odour persists, or we can assist further, please call us on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy. Our helpline is open Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm.

Darren
Darren

our Big Ball Animal Dyson started exhausting a foul smell as well.
Turned out it was the cyclone filter system. Despite emptying the bin out and cleaning it thoroughly, it still smelt horrible

I ended up completely disassembling the cyclone filter (BIG job) and found a huge amount of muck stuck inside all over the filter and the air jets. Some were completely clogged. Turned out my partner had used one of those carpet cleaning powders which I think are slightly damp as well. It's gone through the entire filter system and gummed it all up inside. I had to pull the entire filter apart and clean all the parts individually. I then soaked all the parts in a mix of water and mild detergent overnight. Dried it all out with compressed air and then re-assembled. Smell is now gone and suction is as good as new now.

We since found out that you should never use powder carpet cleaners in bag-less vacuums.... lesson learned. Fortunately it seems the powder didn't make it to the motor, which seems to have survived.....

Buzzardasked

Cinetic Big Ball Animal

The cy22. when you turn it on dust comes out of the exhaust.even when canister is off ,I hold my hand over the suction hole then remove my hand and a huge amount of dust comes out.why?

Hi there,

Thank you for your query.

We are sorry to hear about this. We certainly wouldn't expect this behaviour from any Dyson machine.

For assistance we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help.

Buzzard

We sent it out to be serviced.. thank you

Undies
Undies

Your post motor filter has probably fallen apart....like ours.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Compare all 8 Dyson Cinetic Big Ball