Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal

Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal

MPNs: 214892-01 and 36262392

Very dissatisfied.

My 3rd Dyson.
This was to replace the previous smaller model.
Use on tiles, timber, carpet, painted concrete.
Especially surfaces.
I believe Dyson over-engineered what they thought would be the bigger better market offer.
It is just that.
Bigger.
Heavy, clunky, clumsy, obstinate.
Heavy to drag around.
Drag is the word.
And I am 6' 6" and strong.

Weight and centre of gravity make it get stuck on corners.
Then it turns over and there is a delay even if it does respond to return upright.

The trigger handle does not work on surfaces so has to be taken off every time.

The push levers (start/stop) & rewind are flimsy and prone to impact.

As usual, the cannister emptying method has a knack to use, commonly opening half-way through the extraction procedure.
To get it off completely there is a silly lever akin to the stick models have.

The inlet gets clogged often, a small object will do it.
A stone is fatal.
To clear the obstruction, the whole canister has to be removed from the machine and opened mid-use.
Thus, cannister has to be emptied before carrying on.
Usually, this makes a mess.
______________________________________________
The previous model was powerful, lightweight, easy to use.
Dyson then fixed something that wasn't broken.
I believe the whole thing has backfired on the market hence the new push for cordless.
______________________________________________
As usual however Dyson after sales service has been the best experienced ever.
I got them to fix the old one.
How I really just want to get rid of this new $800 beast.

Purchased for $699.00.

Product is used: Weekly
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood
Clogging Issues No
Hi Leonard, Thank you for taking the time to review your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball. We wouldn't expect you to experience any issue with routine blockages or the bin of your machine opening. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Could be better

Bought to replace a 10 year old "high end" Electrolux Barrel that had a few broken bits of plastic. I have a mix of hard floor, carpets and stairs. Do not have pets as such, but family members with long hair. I have used Dyson's before, but not owned one. Cannot comment on reliability as only a month old.

Good:
The small roating head accessory is great for stairs
Suction is excellent: on first use I found "extra" dust
Does not fall over
Light to carry
Most accessories attach to the wand
No bags !!

Needs be Improved in order to get 5 stars:
The cord is rather short, leads to a lot of swapping of power points as you move about the house.
Not very tolerant to items such as tissues that can "hide" under beds.
The base of the barrel needs a firm "push" after emptying to ensure that it is correctly closed, otherwise it will open unexpectedly.
Auto sensing of power (it's a manual "air bypass" mechanism)
On/Off switch on the handle would help
The small notch to attach the wand to the machine (for storage) is not robust
It's not cheap compared to competition

Purchased at The Good Guys Physical store for $675.00.

Product is used: Weekly
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Disappointing for the price

I have 2 high-shedding indoor dogs and need to vacuum every day. Dyson vacuums are great at picking up pet hair with little effort, and many of their machines even come with special attachments (mine does) that quickly gets pet hair off furniture or bed covers. I’ve owned 2 Dysons, 2 Wertheims and an Electrolux, and for pet hair removal, you really can’t beat a Dyson. But unfortunately that’s all they have going for them. The new ‘no touch’ cylinder emptying is a terrible design; you can’t get to the barrel or metal filter to properly clean it, so over time you end up with a build up of dust on the cylinder and fluff in the inner barrel and (in my case) pet hair in the filter. I try to use a soft brush to reach as many nooks and crannies as I can, but I’m sure this build up of debris will eventually give me problems. Plus it defeats the ‘no touch’ feature. And despite the large barrel, the fill line on any Dyson barrel is about 2 inches from the bottom, so in my case I have to empty and clean it twice a week, sometimes more.
There is a thin strip of felt material glued onto the bottom of the power head (presumably to protect floors?) that keeps coming off after very little use. Within 6 months I had to get the power head replaced because the felt was coming off and kept getting caught in the rotating brushes, and now after only 3 months the second power head has done the same thing.
There are other little annoyances with the machine, like the fact that you have to be careful with pressing the button to release the cylinder from the machine because it often empty’s as it releases, so you end up with dirt all over your floor and on the machine; the touch free clip on the cylinder canister allows for easy opening, but has no way of facilitating closure unless you pry it up with your fingernail; or if you want to quickly whip off the power head and vacume along the skirting board, the machine loses suction because of the design of the rod which has a groove cut out to connect the attachments to the rod - the only way around it is to use another tubular attachment.
In summary, the number of design flaws undermine the hefty price tag ($1000 when I purchased mine). There are other machines on the market that tackle the problem of pet hair and when this one goes, i’ll definitely be looking at other brands.

Purchased at Appliances Online for $1,000.00.

Product is used: Daily
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
Clogging Issues No
Hi Nancy, Thank you for reviewing your machine. I am sorry to hear you are experencing difficulties with your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal machine. We are happy to help. So we can discuss your concerns in detail, we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Disappointed

The vacuum is stable however we get balls of fluff all over carpet. The head doesn’t seem to pick up mess on floor at all but rather moves it around. Seems that the head of vacuum moves and blows dirt around... vinyl head does same. Only head that works well is small one for car.We bought this as we thought it would make life easier for our mum but it hasn’t. Really disappointing.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi Jac, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball machine. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulty with your Cinetic Big Ball. While any debris too big to go under the head may be pushed along, your machine shouldn't have any difficulty picking up the majority of dust and dirt from your floors. We would kindly ask you to remove the brushbar from the head, flip the head upside down and check the airways in the head for any obstructions. You can see how to remove the brushbar here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdzQtZp9SJg Hopefully this should get your machine back up and running, however if we can assist further, please email help@dyson.co.nz and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to assist. Best wishes, Shan

Not loving it. Not as good as my old one

Purchased to replace old Dyson that still worked but was time for an upgrade.

Good points:
the turbo head does a great job on my carpet
The cord is longer than the old one

Bad points:
The dust bin is supposed to be no touch, everytime I empty I have to reach in to pull debris out or it would stay in there, even if I shake it.
Clip on the base of dust bin is very flimsy and I doubt will last long. It doesn't close and latch easily.
Emptying is a messy process. The old way of removing the dust bin and up ending into a bin much easier, quicker and cleaner
Power and cord wind buttons are very flimsy
The tangle head is a great idea but very impractical as it is very small.

If I'd known about these things I would not have purchased.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to review your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball machine. I am sorry to hear you are unhappy and experiencing difficulties with your machine, we are happy to help. So we can best assist we would kindly ask you to forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Not as good as expected

The rotating head is not as good anticipated. It does not pick up visible dirt easily. Often it will blow items away from vaccuum. I have to keep going over the area several times before I am satisfied. The rotating head is useless on hard floors for the same reasons.
I bought a hard floor head (unfortunately this was not standard) but this also blows waste away from the head.
I purchased this because of its reputation. It is an expensive machine which I saved for. I am unlikely to recommend it to any one.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Hate it

I have had my cleaner for just under two years and it has continuously had a high pitch squeal. I have had it in at Dyson and they told me that there is nothing wrong with it. As I reported this after 30 days it was basically too bad you are stuck with it. Also it doesn’t vacuum up the dog hair and I have been told I need to buy a different head. I would not recommend this vacuum. Buy another brand if you want your floors cleaned properly because they are very overrated.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Dyson maybe great engineers but have forgotten about the ergonomics for users.

Ok here goes..the carpet head is very noisy..the barrel is constantly getting stuck on corners and tips over.
They have changed the design of the attachments so you can’t use the ones from older machines..the new design has too many guides which makes changing the heads harder..you have to line up slots on the pipe with attachment slots...our major bug bear is that it now stinks of dog when we use it as there is no removable filter to clean. Also the handle material is too hard on your hands..a curved design would be much better..
I feel like the designers have forgotten about the end user.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Hi there, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson. I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Cinetic Big Ball machine. While we did change the fittings, we also included an adaptor in the box so the majority of non-motorised accessories purchased in the last few years will be able to be used. We are sorry to hear your machine is exhibiting an odour, we recommend carrying out the following steps which may dispel any odour. After emptying you may rinse the clear bin in cold water as per the instructions in your user guide, ensuring that no detergents are used. Please don't remove the bin inner or cone seals whilst washing the clear bin and most importantly ensure that the clear bin is completely dry before placing back onto the machine. Please note that the cyclone top assembly, which attaches on top of the bin, must be removed and is not washable. We also recommend to let the hose, floor tool, bin and wand of your machine air out for 24-48 hours, ideally somewhere safe, dry and sunny. This should help, however if we can assist further, please email help@dyson.co.nz and our Dyson Experts will be more than happy to help further. Best wishes, Shan

Excellent!!

I purchased this product a month ago ND started using it 2 weeks ago when I moved into my new place. It took a while to get used to as I had a backpack vacuum before. This vacuum suckes really well and manoeuvres easily into smaller places. Happy so far!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Disappointed. I want my 10-year old DC08 back

I am disappointed in this product, which we purchased to replace a 10 year-old Turbo DC08 only because the attachments eventually disintegrated and Dyson was no longer making new ones. I have used the Big Ball for four months before posting this review (sorry, but reviews posted after just one use are not terribly helpful).

As an existing user, I received a discount from Dyson and I am grateful for that because these things are not cheap. "Oh, the Cinetic Big Ball is a wonderful machine," gushed the Dyson sales person over the phone. Happy with my previous DC08, I believed her. But I feel let down.

1) Compared to our Turbo DC08, the overall build of the Cinetic Big Ball Animal - both the vacuum cleaner body and the attachments - is cheap and plasticky. One gets the distinct impression Dyson has tried to economize on materials and pocket the difference as its profit margin at the expense of the customer.

2) Seriously, whose idea was it to replace the on/off and cord retraction buttons (recessed in the body of the DC08) with toggles that protrude from the body? I fully expect these toggles to snap off at any time.

3) The machine rolls over too easily. If you tug on the handle and move sideways, it will tip over. This won't damage it, but it's a nuisance to stop your vacuuming and stand it upright again.

4) Emptying the bin is a HUGE pain. I have taken as much care as possible to correctly remove the bin for emptying by pushing down on the red release button as directed by Dyson, but on more than one occasion, the bin base has flipped open before I can lift the bin clear of the vacuum cleaner, spilling a bin-load of dust all over the floor and the vacuum. My message: MAKE SURE you keep one hand underneath the bin base when you release the bin from the body of the vacuum to prevent it opening unexpectedly.

5) When you open the bottom lid of the bin, any dust or hair trapped at the top of the top of the barrel will usually not fall out. You must therefore manually detach the lower section of the barrel and pull the trapped debris from the upper section of the barrel with your hand. Yuk.

6) The DC08 featured a handle with a retractable/extendable tube, which was useful when you needed to retract the head of the vacuum cleaner and get into awkward places. The Cinetic Big Ball features a long (45 cm) rigid handle which is difficult - if not impossible - to get into tight places.

7) The Cinetic Big Ball comes with a range of head attachments. I have no idea what some of them are intended for. There was no information booklet in the box to explain what the various attachments are designed for. I have experimented with some of them but others just baffle me.

I am disappointed. Compared to the DC08 of a decade ago, I feel Dyson has sacrificed functionality and convenience. I can only assume the design changes made over ten years were in pursuit of fatter margins, because they absolutely do NOT make for a better vacuum cleaner.

I want my DC08 back.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Animal love this monster

Animal love this monster. Let me start by saying this, Dyson has only gotten better with their product. Known for their incredible suction, this vacuum does not disappoint. While the canister capacity is not comparable to the uprights, this thing makes up for that shortcoming by the incredible suction it delivers. Mainly using this on hardwood floors, some rugs, and bedroom carpets, this vacuum is an absolute pleasure to use.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Love my Dyson

I love my Dyson, this is my second vacuum from Dyson. My boys have dust allergies and the Dyson is the best on the market for them.
Save a fortune by going bagless.
The only faults I do have is that the pipes thar go in to the vacuum is now half flat instead of full circle, hence it gets jammed a lot. It's hard to unblock it. Also it's not the best for vacuuming my shaggy rug, maybe there's another attachment for that ?
Over all I do stil love it :-)

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Awesome

Got a Dyson Cinetic Big Ball during mid year sales. So amazing . Love the extra pieces you can connect to it. Compacts nicely. Get's animal hair out of everything! Used it to get dog hair out of my car seats (had tried with many other vacuums) This one worked straight away

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Best ever!!

Got this vacume because our cat was dropping so much fur and other vacume cleaner did nothing. Dyson made the carpet look brand new, even the colour looked different! We had our carpet done by professional carpet people and they even commented on the cleanliness! Definitely recommend. Also very easy to use and takes no effort which l love.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Excellent vacuum cleaner.

We bought the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal vacuum cleaner because we have a long haired German Shepherd. It is absolutely amazing. Pup’s hair is everywhere and the Dyson Big Ball just sucks it up no worries. It is powerful and has no issues picking up his hair both on floorboards and carpet. it’s easy and light to maneuver and the head fits underneath most of our furniture. We have quite a large house and the collector tube holds all of the hair and dirt from the house. Love it!

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Great vacuum once you get used to it

Very powerful vacuum can be hard to push if you don’t pull the trigger in my opinion a good users DVD would have gone down well and can be very tricky to empty but you’ll work that out after a few goes all in all great powerful unit i buy another one the wife loves it

Date PurchasedJan 2018

so happy with my Dyson

I was told a lot about Dyson so I invested and bought one. Never regretted it since.. the suction is great! No more having to go over and over the same spot. It fees weightless and manoeuvres really well. Best investment I’ve made. Don’t think I will ever go another brand again. very happy

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Crap

I've had nothing but trouble with my kinetic barrel vac. I've replaced the cylinder but when emptying it still spews dust all over the place. Now it's spewing dust into the air when I'm vacuuming. I've checked out the videos to change or clean filters but my model, although fairly new, is not the same. Also I don't like the fact that you have to bend down to unblock brushes, which for people with arthritis is not easy. You pinch your hand when clicking in brushes if you're not careful. I personally think this system is a money making venture as it's not universal & you have to use only Dyson products. Just my opinion

September 5th 2018 Update: Crap

I'm amazed that Dyson are sending me e-mails telling me I've helped 2046 people - does this mean all of these people think that Dyson products are CRAP??? I have now sent my vacuum back to Dyson and am awaiting their response - they suggested I return it to the retailer for a refund which they have refused as they say that Dyson don't want to accept that their products have any issues. Watch this space to see whether they actually do something about it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hi Sue, We thank you for your review and sorry to hear about this. To discuss this further with us, so we can assist you, please email us at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, your product review and the machine's serial number and we will in touch. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dysonI rang the Dyson number at 10.24 am Friday 22 June and was told the wait time would be 49 minutes. I continued my day and then at 3.12 pm I received the call back, which I was unable to take as I was shopping, only to be told that I could not have a later call back and then the recording just said "goodbye". What's that all about ??? If the wait time is 49 minutes and I had my place in the queue from 10.24 am why did it take 5 hours to get back to me ??? Anyway, now you're telling me I have to ring again or contact you via the internet. This is not a very professional approach to your business. You can contact me on [Contact Number Removed].Hi Sue, I do apologise for the delay you have experienced, however for privacy we kindly ask you to forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Apologies, however we can't assist with this query further on a public forum. Best wishes, Shan

Great vaccume but have only owned it for 1 year and the spinner in the head is already broken needs

Happy with performance up until spinner stopped working now I’m using it without the head still good but not sucking as well does pick up animal hair really well Ian getting it fixed so it will be a great vacuum once again it comes with a lot of attachments which I find very helpful

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Needs more suction power but otherwise okay!

I had high expectations when I bought this so maybe that's why it let me down in some aspects.

Positive: appearance and external design. Love that there is a handle to carry it easily when putting it away. It even has a part when the long part can hook onto the main body of the vac. Easy to change length of vac.
Great bagless design.
Automatic switch in between suction nozzle as well as howit auto calibrates itself from tiles/floorboatds to carpet. You can change the suction power during use as it has that handle thing at the top.
Okay suction power.
Easy to pull along with you around the house.
Lightweight for what it looks like.
Still doing chugging along!

Negatives: I think with high expectation I think I was let down by thinking it would have amazing suction power. Its average. Or maybe it has something to do with my hubby whom is a tradie and I borrow his industrial vac from time to time to clean my car and expect the design to surpass its performance as I paid way more for the design.
Depending on the rug it can remove most of the animal fur but if you buy it for this sole reason. Well don't cry a river...
Womens' long hair gets stuck inside vaccum so you need to pull it out yourself.

Date PurchasedNov 2013

See all Dyson Cinetic Big Ball reviews

My Dyson big ball animal has suddenly started spinning in the wrong direction so it’s just pushing animal hair all over the carpet. How do I get going in the right direction?
Hi there, Thank you for your query. I am sorry to hear about this, however we are happy to help. If the turbine head is blowing dust around, there is most likely a blockage within the turbine head itself. We recommend to remove the brushbar using a ten or twenty cent coin to twist the cap at the end of the cleanerhead that retains the brushbar counterclockwise (as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXtMpytFJc). Once done, you will be able to remove both the cap and the brushbar. Please then check the cavity where the brushbar was in the cleanerhead and clear out any debris. You should be able to look through the neck of the head and see straight through. Please then reassemble and retry the turbine. In the unlikely event you are still experiencing difficulty, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to further assist. Best wishes, Shan

I have the Dyson chimeric big ball and cannot figure out how to switch the suction to floors from the tool wand. Help?
Hi Wendy, Thank you for your query. I am sorry to hear about this, we are happy to help. You can see a video here showing how to use the accessories on your Cinetic Big Ball: https://youtu.be/YSVwJNx3ZSs?t=115 If we can assist further, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

I just purchased the Big Ball canister Animal. It has amazing power, however, it's very difficult to push on carpet. My carpet is not that thick. Am I doing something wrong?
We bought the same Cinetic two days ago, and trying to use it today, the vacuum was very hard to push on our low-pile carpet. The suction was so strong that it lifted the carpet where the vacuum was used for 30 seconds. I see that Dyson has avoided providing an answer to your problem. I await their response with keen interest.There is a suction control (Red Switch) on the musclehead tool which can be moved to reduce suction hence making it easier to pushYes, indeed there is suction control. But to use it the entire time I vacuum is a bit ridiculous. I think the carpet attachment needs to be wider for fewer passes and redesigned to move smoother. Other than that one issue this vacuum is the best!

Cinetic Big Ball Animal