Dyson DC54

Animal Pro, Multi Floor, Animal, etc...
See the Best Barrel Vacuum Cleaners in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Dyson

mattbuckley1980Hunter Region, NSW

Does not work on carpets

Had this very expensive vacuum cleaner for about 4 years and it’s never worked well on carpets. It leaves so much behind. When the vacuum does finally fill up, emptying the bin is a disgusting task that results in dust and hair flying all over the place, and then you have to take the thing apart to get all the hairs that have stuck to the filter. This is my first experience with a Dyson and never again. I ended up buying a Sebo X8 and what a difference it made, the carpets looked noticeable cleaner. The Dyson is confined to the garage now for cleaning my cars.

Purchased in April 2017 for $1,100.00.

Patsy P
Patsy PPerth, WA

Disappointed

I have had a DC54 for 4 years. It has had light use only. Unfortunately this cleaner only picks up about 60% of dirt on hard floors. Worse I was convinced to get it at Good Guys as the best for pet hair, and got the turbo head. As my dog died soon after it has hardly been used. Have just got a dog again, but now the head doesn't spin, and I'm required to buy a new one which is very expensive. Even though the machine is 4 or 5 years old, it's only had 6 months of light use. I was always happy with Dyson before but this vacuum is obviously poorly made with suction compromised by the fittings and parts that don't last.

Purchased in July 2016 for $600.00.

Tom
TomRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Never again

Bought a d54 special pets with all accessories few years back.
It never work when taking all the hose etc off it seems to be quite powerful but as soon as you put everything back together it simply has no suction and hardly pickup anything.
I have clean everything still the same problem.
Spent all most $1000 for a piece of crap

Purchased in February 2014 for $945.00.

Raj
RajCraigieburn

Overpriced useless product

Purchased this vacuum cleaner despite its high cost as we expected that it would last a long time & do its job properly. Alas, we were disappointed. Initially it seemed to work well but as time went by it wasn't picking up small pieces properly & even when it did, it would spit it back out. Emptying the items was also a pain as small items & hair would get stuck inside & the comb needed to be used to clear them up. After a few years of sporadic use, now its just died & wont start at all. So much for their tagline that it wouldn't lose suction & last a lifetime! I have now purchased a Electrolux PC91ANIMAT which was 500 bucks cheaper that what I paid for the Dyson all those years ago.

Purchased in November 2013 at The Good Guys for $814.00.

Paid in Full
Paid in FullGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Stay away from Dyson

Under powered, over priced. This machine does not live up to Dyson's reputation. It does not pick up everything out of the carpet, eg clothes fluff on the carpet needs to be rolled over several times. We've have replaced the overpriced turbo head already. It is notorious for getting blockages. Stay away from it.

Update: the replaced power head stopped working today. Undoubtedly the worst piece of equipment I have ever purchased. Stay away from Dyson!

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman for $1,000.00.

Alin
AlinSouth East Queensland, QLD

Have it for more than 5 years without any issue

Bought it 5 years ago. and do not have any issue with it, barrel is a bit hard to clean.
We use it about 2-3 times a month as we use V6 Slim for day to day small area vacuuming.

Purchased at Harvey Norman.

PEB
PEBMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Never buy Dyson again

This is the worst vacuum ever. My old Dyson was perfect but this is a constant nightmare!! I’ve had this back to good guys, the in store Dyson rep has said this model is discontinued for a reason, plenty of complaints!!! So why can’t Dyson help the poor suckers who brought this model?? Disgusting service... I’ve complained to them previously, but I’m so mad!!! It shuffles the dirt, doesn’t pick it up. Constantly blocking due to the poorly made skinny outlet. The screw in nozzle from the floor vacuum tool keeps unscrewing itself whilst vacuuming... It’s just a piece of crap. I’m so disappointed in Dyson for no helping out it’s loyal customer. This was not a cheap item... Anyone help?? I need to buy another vacuum, one that actually works!!!

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys for $900.00.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

Clara V.
Clara V.30 Nov 2021
how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
Lloyd P.
Lloyd P.Sydney, NSW

Never buying Dyson again

This vacuums sucks (but not in the way you want a vacuum to). Main gripe is the dust removal which results in a huge cloud of dust and the fact half of what you vacuumed remains stuck in the barrel. Turbo brush head is brilliant day one, but a regret a couple of years later when it doesn't work.

Cath
CathMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Thank god it’s discontinued!

I thought time to splash out and get a Dyson, but right from the start it wouldn’t pick up rice grains on tiled floor. So paid more to get a hard floor head. Then the roller head lost both wheels and they won’t go back on, so it drags on the carpet. The brush gets clogged with hair and stops turning! Emptying it gets dust and dirt all over your hands. Now the big barrel wheel has broken off! It is just 5 years Old! It’s a disgrace. I will never buy a Dyson again.

Purchased in March 2015 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores.

Turbo head is junk

Purchased at The Good Guys.

Ali H
Ali HPeel, WA

Should have been recalled!!!!

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $899.00.

Joshua C.
Joshua C.

Big Regret.

Purchased at Bing Lee Physical store for $800.00.

michael
michaelHunter Region, NSW

Life changing

I got my first Dyson in 2010. And only just replaced it now in 2020 (still working never replacing any parts) Having a inside/out side pet (really dislike pets inside) It was truly amazing. Loads of power a pleasure to use making you vacuum more often and a tru no filter or bag design is so hassle free (could not imagine buying bags or cleaning filters now). And the multi floor head (Is key) ment that you could Vac the whole house in record time. Was it flawless in all aspects no but it was far better than anything els that I looked at then and even now. I’ll never get anything els. Vacuuming is a job always will be but the satisfaction that a Dyson gives makes up for a lot of that.

Purchased in December 2010 at Harvey Norman for $700.00.

Adrian C.
Adrian C.Far West, NSW

Not as good as older Dyson’s

I didn’t even think of buying a different brand of vacuum after my DC05. That vacuum was unreal. Purchased the DC54 Animal Complete as it’s replacement and at first it was great. About 3 months later it had loss a lot of its suction. There are no blockages but the handle assy flexing allows gaps. Even when I’ve removed the tube and tried bypass the motor still seems to have lost its suction. The DC05 even after 9yrs was better than this one. Looking at buying a new motor for the DC05 and getting rid of the 54. Not happy after paying so much for the 54

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $1,000.00.

ALL THE BAD REVIEWS ON THIS ONE ARE SPOT ON

Purchased at The Good Guys for $899.00.

Diane F.
Diane F.asked
DC54

The end cap on my DC54 brush head keeps coming loose whenever I vacuum hard surfaces, unless I turn off the spinning. Do I need a new end cap or full brush head?
I have already cleaned the head and brush roller, there are no blockages and still good suction just that the vibrations on hard surfaces are causing the cap to fall off and then the brush head comes loose.

DysonDyson

So we can best assist, we'd kindly encourage sending photos of the head and end cap to auaskdyson@dyson.com. Our Dyson Experts will only be happy to assist in getting you a resolution.

Robyn D.
Robyn D.asked
DC54 Multi Floor

Can the suction be reduced for a rug

DysonDyson

To reduce suction, you can pull the trigger in the handle to reduce suction by about 1/3 for cleaning more delicate surfaces.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are only happy to help. You can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Roberta
Robertaasked
DC54

Turbo head spins while in the air but spasmodic spinning on the carpet

mattbuckley1980

Yes mine does that as well, sometimes on carpet the head completely stops spinning. There isn’t enough torque being generated on the head to overcome the friction the carpet pile creates. Hence my unsatisfactory review regarding performance on carpets.

DysonDyson

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties and are happy to help. We'd recommend to remove the brushbar using a ten or twenty cent coin to twist the cap at the end of the cleanerhead that retains the brushbar counterclockwise (as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXtMpytFJc). Once done, you will be able to remove both the cap and the brushbar. Please then check the cavity where the brushbar was in the cleanerhead and clear out any debris. You should be able to look through the neck of the head and see straight through. Please then reassemble and retry the turbine.

In the unlikely event you are still experiencing difficulty, please run through the troubleshooting for a loss of suction outlined here: https://support.dyson.com.au/supportHome.aspx/Vacuums/Cylinders/DC54/65027-01/troubleshooting/pick-up-issue

If we can assist further, please get in touch with our Dyson Experts, you can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Compare all 5 Dyson DC54

2.3
Dyson DC54 Allergy

Dyson DC54 Allergy

2.1
CategoryBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) $1,099.00$999.00$799.00$899.00
Bin Capacity2 L2 L2 L2 L
Weight7.6 kg7.6 kg7.6 kg7.6 kg
TypeBaglessBaglessBaglessBagless
Cord Length6.5 m6.5 m6.5 m6.5 m
Suction (Air Watts)290 AW290 AW290 AW290 AW
Release dateAug 2013Aug 2013Aug 2013Aug 2013
Replaced byDyson Cinetic Big Ball AbsoluteDyson Cinetic Big Ball AnimalDyson Cinetic Big Ball Multi FloorDyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy
Compare all 5 Dyson DC54