Gentrax 3.5kW Camping Inverter

Gentrax 3.5kW Camping Inverter Questions & Answers

33 questions from our users

Bruce E.asked

I have a Gentrax 3.5 and it has been running the aircon in our caravan fine until yesterday when it tripped out on the overload switch and now it wont run at all it will start and run for about 30 seconds then the overload lights comes on and the unit shuts down and there is nothing plugged into the genny to cause an overload nothing at all plugged into the machine. Before it optionally tripped out it began reving very fast

peter h.

this will be my last reply to problems with gentrax rubbish as it seems pr4oduct revue remove the answers I and others post to your benefit and others as they could read thru all the many many problems and find a answer to fit their problem. so their is no point going to all the many hours work writing fixes, I your case it would be very likely the inverter module has failed.

something that is quite common on this page must have been ablest 5 complains of your problem and it comes to pass on inspection that the module is u/s. one chap stated here a new module is 165 dollars me I wouldn't spend a dime on it as something else will fail next month up the you but.
see ya.

Trevor K.asked

I bought a Gentrax 3.5 electric start i Sept. 2019. Worked fine to start with but when really needed failed miserably. Ran a 1500w appliance successfully a few times then when really needed went into a frenzy and now drops to 200v with the same appliance as well it runs flat out with nothing plugged in in economy mode. Have tried other appliances with the same result. Contacted supplier and will look at it if I send it back at my cost. From country SA to Sydney this won't be cheap. I own several (about 20) small motors which I service and maintain myself so would be quite capable of repairing this if I could get some advice and parts. I contacted Gentax direct but got sent straight back to the supplier. Has anyone had similar problems and where can I buy parts or get a wiring diagram. If I send it back I'm afraid I'll be throwing good money after bad. Just wish I'd bought a reputable brand and as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

Dave

Morning Trevor.prior to purchasing my 3.5 non-electric start, I queried the supplier regarding any possible problems that could occur and could I send the unit to the Melbourne branch to save on transport costs up North. The reply was that there were no repair technicians there, only sales, but should I require them, any parts necessary would be shipped to me . Naturally the damned genny wouldn't start, but leaving it in the GO situation, resulted in a reluctant start the next morning. So far, everything crossed, it's been performing as it should. The company should, based on the email that I received, send you any parts that are required.

Transcript of email:

Please advise me.
If I buy from you and I have a problem with the generator, must it be returned to you in Sydney
or can I take to Outbaxcamping in Melbourne, as I am in Central Victoria?
I don't expect to have a problem as it is a highly rated generator.
Dave

New message from: outbaxcamping (102,490)
Hi Dave,

Good day!

Our technicians are only located in Sydney.

We don't have any other third party service centers.

If you're capable of fixing generators, we are more than happy to send parts instead, else it needs to be returned back to Sydney for repair.

Regards,
Mike

Trevor,the email was received 7th October 2019, hope you can sort thungs out with them. dave

Thanks for your help

peter h.

as far as I know the gen-set has a 1 year warranty and as outback has no repair centres for their rubbish they will have to pay the freight return to their repair centre. mine way d.o.a from them a couple of years ago and after a huge run around I had to inform them I would take case to small claims. then they paid freight from cairns Queensland to what ever shit hole they currently reside.

and in the course of time sent complete new replacement.
simply put you have to go after this mob a bit or you wont get any where. they have to meet at warranty allowed in asst by law . for god sake people stop buying this rubbish i have answered about 20 calls for help to try to get these things to run.

most with similar problems how this brand got a high rating from product review is beyond me. the fact they don't have contracts with repair centres in all states should get them ruled out for one thing and all the failures should send them broke if every body demanded to return there under warranty gen sets for repair or replacement. and that would be a good thing .

Cat

Catasked

My gentrax 3.5kva has gone on the fritz. Revving high all the time. Had it on my caravan and it was fine til it started revving high. Have tried to see if it has a fuse I may have blown or a circuit breaker, but cant seem to find any info. Does anyone know what the problem would be?Thanks

peter h.

is it still suppling 240 volt power.
and can you run all the same Appin ices as before.
I need to know this and is it still under warranty.

Bruce E.

Has anyone encounted a similar issue and solved the issue. I have a 3.5kva genny which has been running the aircon in our caravan just fine until now it started reving very fast and tripped out on the overload and since that happened it will not run. It will start but won't keep running and the overload light comes on and shuts the unit down without anything being plugged into it so no load at all on the unit can anyone suggest what might be the problem and how can i fix it

Judy m

Judy masked

Bought a gentrax 3500. Key start.....will not keep going..just goes off ...what is wrong.

Dave

Judy, make sure that you have released the petrol cap button, it's in the centre of the filler cap, rotate it ant-clockwise and it will lift just a little. This prevents a vacuum building up in the tank which stops petrol flow. Also make sure that you have the choke lever pushed off. Hope this helps

peter h.

yes Dave is on it Judy, also if that don't work make Shure the fuel switch is fully turned to the on position. then when it stops next time undo the fuel drain on the carbie and see if fuel comes out. catch the fuel in a glass that way you can see how much was in the carbie and if there is an water in the fuel.

water looks like balls or pools inside the fuel in the glass it wont run with water in the carbie.

if it still wont keep going send it back these genets' have so many faults you are better off demanding a refund. as the faults just keep coming.

Maryasked

how to key start step by step as I'm not at all confidant.
every thing is fueled, charged etc but still can't pull start . Am an 8o yo 52kg. woman who can only pull so many times. Please help.

Thanks heaps

peter h.

hi Mary .....so fuel is in. must be 91 or higher grade.

never use fuel with ethanol. blend.

make sure breather is open if you watch it closely you will see in the open position it is higher then in the closed position.

then you MUST pump the little primer witch is located next to to fuel switch . you will have this in the open position prior to pumping the little primer.

pump this primer at least 10 times.

turn on the key to start.

manually push choke to the closed position, you can see that on the little sticker.near the choke .

than either turn the key and the starter motor should turn engine till it starts. this requires that the battery that came with the gen-set has been fitted.

it goes in the front, at the bottom. you can see a cover with 2 screws, it should be in there with leads both connected.

BUT just to see if gen set is good after a suitable rest,.... pull that pesky pull cord. it should start first pull with that choke on and all the rest done as stated above. or at least 2nd pull.

if it don't get some one to check that the spark plug lead is pushed on to spark plug. and get them to remove the air filter and drain the fuel out of cardie if no fuel comes out, call the company and tell them you need a replacement,... as it was d.o.a when you got it..

if you need any more help just ask, and merry Christmas marry.

wish i weighed 52 kilos.

Mary

Did follow your instructions to the tee. Yep turned the key & it started , an old woman thanks you very, very much as need this as back up in these bushfires for power. Have a merry & safe festive season. Mary

kimberley w.asked

do you realy need to have it earthed, some say not if you are just using an extension cord to an appliance,its very confusing

peter h.

i have never used the earth stake on any genset I have owned .

but as almost all my use has been on fiberglass boats it my be different when used at a home or block of land.

I have never seen anyone else use the earth stake, but would advise that you go to a Honda or quality genset dealer perhaps Yamaha or Kubota., and request to speak to there service manager as you are looking to by a genset and have a Tec question you need answered before any purchase is made they will be most happy to help you.

peter h.

just remember you must never plug your genset in to your house fuse box in any way unless it in done by a licensed election as death of other people in other houses in your street in possible.

kimberley w.

Thank you peter but I have a genforce I only want to run a single appliance at a time when camping

Robbo

Robboasked

Gentrax 3.5 what is the 12v output and what can it be used for

peter h.

this is used on all genets of any brand for battery charging only 12 volt barratries of Couse.

most will buy a stand alone battery charger to charge batteries anywhere from 20 to 100 amps. but you can youse the lead provided wwwwwwwwwwwwwith the gen set to charge but only at 5 to 8 amps depending on brand you buy. so as you can see if your trying to charge a large battery or a bank of batteries it would take all day with the genset 12 volt plugin.

and a heap of fuel. so kit iks really only for emergencies and charging small batteries e.g. a car battery from a 4 cyl car.

sorry for the bad spelling it don't seem to let correct anything without deleting right back to the error.

Hunter

Hunterasked

I would like to know why Gentrax doesn't answer these important and frequently repeated questions. Does Gentrax not know or not care? I was about to order a Gentrax 3.500 but as reliability is key I think I will pay the extra and buy a Yamaha.

peter h.

the problem is wit5h out back camping at least for those who got there's form them and most seem to. very poor warranty service and back. if you jump trough enough hoops and threaten to get consumer affairs involved they will honour there warranty. but its best to buy elsewhere., I don't know current warranty for Yamaha but Honda has always had a 4 year warranty compared to 2 years from Yamaha., just be aware that the 300 I model Honda has a bad name for reliability all other Hondas are fine reliability wise the problem with the 300, is . was the electrics to convert to sign wave according to the owners who had to return them. may of been fixed by now but as the only portable Honda owners sear at rather then love why risk it

Judy B.

Judy B.asked

Were is the oil drain plug in jentrax 3.5

Gary

Garyasked

can this generator use in overseas on 60 hertz?

Doug

Dougasked

Have Gentrax CEDD 3.5 inverter generator. Noted that it may be possible to convert it to electric start. What is the engine a copy of? looking at suitable starter motors etc.

Ron S

Ron Sasked

I have a gentrax 3.5 generator it is leaking oil from the bottom of it. How can I fix this problem. How do I remove the casing

DrWilburHughes

DrWilburHughesasked

Has anyone tried it for charging a pure electric vehicle say in a camping situation or to avoid range anxiety?

Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.asked

$$ How much are they $$$

Robert H.

Robert H.asked

is it pure sinewave and will it run a large caravan airconditioner?

John K.

John K.asked

are there any genuine reviews on the gentrax generators

4landus
4landus

John, I bought ours in January and have used it several times. I have had no problems with this generator. It still starts first time and runs smooth even with the airconditioner, battery charger and microwave all going at once and no problems. Mind you I start it on a regular basis to ensure I don't have any problems. And yes I am a genuine buyer.

D Wearneasked

We have a 3.5 kW Gentrax auto start inverter generator which now shuts down a few seconds after applying a resistive electrical load that is well within its output capabilities. Investigating I have determined that the ignition spark ceases, suspect caused by some sort of overload protection device. Small loads are sustainable but displayed output voltage falls off quickly and erratically as load is steadily increased. 1 kW is about the limit before electric governor surges then goes to full throttle and engine dies from lack of spark.
The carburettor and fuel system are clean and correctly working.
Looking for suggestions if anyone can help please.

Dave T.

Hi mate, did you figure out what the problem was with generator? As I have exactly the same problem.

D Wearne

Yes I did, it was a faulty inverter module. It is the big alloy housing with electronic components and coils etc in behind the battery.
Bought a replacement from Outbax camping for $165 plus postage and fitted it.
All working fine now. Outbax camping seem to be a good mob and were most helpful

Dave T.

Thankyou will get in touch with them as well

lawrie asletteasked

Gen runs fine for about 40 secs than overload lt comes up and it stops with no load connected.It is a 3.5 kw gentrac inverter gen.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also where can I find a wiring diagram?

Fiona M.
Fiona M.

Any luck in sorting this issue we are having the same problem Ours is brand new

lawrie aslette

I have written it off.Seems you get what you pay for.Have just bought 2.4 kwYamaha and it works great on our caravan

Bassem

Bassemasked

My new 3.5w generator needs a good 20 pulls to start even if freshly turned off. Is that normal?

Steve T
Steve T

I have the same problem. Delivered a few days ago and it takes forever to start. This can't be normal and I am considering returning it. Even the manual that was supplied is useless, doesn't mention key start or remote start.

Kovacs Ladislau
Kovacs Ladislau

One problem could be a very small hole/puncture in a fuel line between the fuel pump and carburatur, or between the fuel pump and the primer pump and for that the fuel system can't be properly be primered, I this case you can feel a light smel of gasoline.
On my xyg3500ie generator I have a small puncture between the fuel pump and the primer pump and I change oll the fuels line after the fue pump allso I put a stronger construction (moose racer) enduro motorcycle fuel filter for safty reason.

Margaret T

Margaret Tasked

Is there a user manual we can print off for the 3.5KVA?

Get an answer from our members and Gentrax representatives