Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Honda Motorcycles? Claim your listing.
Timothy M.
Timothy M.

I have 2003 1100 xx I replaced stator and rectifier and battery cranked it up no problem let it run 5 10 min took it ti gas station shut off filled tank tried ti crank wouldn’t start checked everything waited ten 15 min cranked it right up made it back home . It crank run fir a while cut off want crank let sit and it crank

Renata J.
Renata J.

I have a cbr 1100 blackbirds 1999 what make it run hot?

Jack B.
Jack B.

Hi all, my 2000 bird developed a misfire so i changed all four plugs. Now when it is standing the fuel is leaking into one of the cylinders and to get it to turn over i have to remove plugs and crank it, when i do lots of fuel is ejected. Any ideas please?

Tibirious

Mmmm... Sounds like you have a fuel pressure regulator(FPR) problem! PLEASE come to "our" recognized forum! GUARANTEED get the help you need! CBRXX.COM See you there!! My handle there is Lovinmycbr1000f.

Bossie B.
Bossie B.

What causes uneven idling on a 2001 blackbird 1100

QHello Bossie,
Well could be a couple of things... Could be a faulty FPR(Fuel Pressure Regulator) or a bad poor running fuel pump. Just ordered a new one not but 20 minutes ago from Quantum fuel pump. Cost $200 CAD! Bike would surge when HOT! Opened 22 yr old pump to find MAJOR rust! 2 TABLESPOONS of rust and silt sitting on bottom of pump. Could also be dirty injectors. Hope that helps!

Ang S.
Ang S.

My mother threw out everything including all my hits and peices. How many and what kind of bolts do I need once the new engine is ready to go in. 2009 blackbird 1100

Peter W.
Peter W.

Hi, l am thinking of buying a 1998 Blackbird the only thing wrong with it is it has a rattle knock when starting it up. Would this be starter motor or something worse. After it starts it runs fine? How easy is it to replace the starter motor?

Jamie D.

i was riding my bird a all of a sudden she shut down and when i press the starter button i can bareley hear a click i checked all fuses none were bad is it my fuel pump linked to my starter button?

Hello Jamie,
Well it could be a number of things... But the fact yu don't hear a click OR once you turn on the ignition you should hear the fuel pump spool up... If after the spooling is done and you hit the start and get a click or no click at all means bat is toast! So next question will be was the bat fully charged? Is the bat being charged through my stator? If not stator is taost! So on a full charge yur bike will run for 30, 40 mile and die... Because it's running a bat power only. Quick test! Fully charge the bat then install back in bike then start it. Have the bike facing a wall if possible so you can see your light reflecting on something. From idle rev to about 4K, 5K rpm AND LOOK AT LIGHT TO SEE IF IT GETS BRIGHTER WHEN YOU REV. If your headlight does NOT get a little brighter when you rev then that means your stator is toast and yur running stright from the bat! Hope that helps! By the way you should come and join the cbrxx.com forum! Great bunch of guys chalk FULL of info! I go by the name "Lovinmycbr1000f" Check it out! Cheers!

Jamie D.

I got new bat same when it shut down on me I was doing 90 and it just died now when it hit start nothing happened but I can short it out an it will turn over but no sound

Jamie D.

Like it's not getting fuel or something an thanks for helping me I'm lost on it now

How do I join

Ben J.
Ben J.

Hi there I have a 1999 honda blackbird 1100xx and I have just done the cam chain. timming is spot on but won't start unless I give full throttle and pretty much just idles any help would be great thank you

RJ1430

Knowing Blackbirds fairly well it’s a carby engine and Not Fuel injection. If the engine ran before the cam chain was replaced then it can really only be related to valve timing or spark timing. The valve timing is usually the fault due to the difficulty in observing the correct location of the Mark’s on the cam sprockets as I have replaced quite a few of these. If all checks out ok then a compression test/ leak down test etc as it’s back to basics I would suggest. If the valve timing is out one tooth then it really plays havoc with ignition timing as the sensor is out of wack.

Tibirious

MMMmmmm... That's a good one! Oh! And 1999 was the first year FI was introduced. Ben yur best bet to get a QUALIFIED answer would be to join the site I'm on! If you haven't already.... Great bunch of guys and chalk FULL of tech advice, best techniques, best products, anything and everything ya needs to know can be found on that forum etc... cbrxx.com Good luck and maybe I'll see ya on cbrxx!

Sam
Sam

My blackbird 1100xxsuper won’t start it was stopping when it was going but now it won’t start it back fires when you keep the starter going. any ideas?

Mark T.
Mark T.

Agree with others that blackbird is a fine alrounder. Wanted a tourer (and it's the intercity express) but as handy in the corners as anything. Used to CB900 BolDor so weight not an issue (and BB has twice the power - almost literally!)
Was initially disappointed with the ride but tyres were under inflated - critical to have accurate gauge.
Bike has over 120000 kms and have replaced shock with reconditioned ohlins and will be taking forks to K-tech for servicing (correct weight springs, new oil and seals plus gaters) just to bring it back to how it should be.
After that I can't imagine a roadbike more capable at any speed solo or two up.
It's well over 20 years old, can be over looked in a paddock of exotic bikes but I'm not a poser and value it's incredible versatility. Just added a pack rack so it can be a shopping hack or King of the open road or anything in between.
Taking the beast to the Burt Monroe at the other end of the country next year (and for many more years to come I trust)
A real bike for real riders

Min Suzuki
Min Suzuki

I have a 97 model that I want to replace the rear shock on.
Was there any change to the rear shock during the years
I can find one that says from 98 - 07. I thought 99 was the big change to efi

RJ1430

Hello, the rear shock dimensions were common to the entire model run . I have yet to come across a different sized rear shock in all the Blackbird’s I have worked on. Regards

Jack

I have a 2006 black bird up for sale for a mate. her cant ride it anymore due to back problems. it is black in colour and have 54000KM on it. looking for 6K for the bike. it is in Queensland. anyone interested? you can mail me at [email removed]

Steven

I have a 1996 bird, can I bolt on a late model rear suspension onto it? So I have a fully adjustable rear end?

Keith Williams
Keith Williams

Yes, companies such as Ohlins, Nitron & Wilburs all make after-market rear shock absorbers for the Blackbird. It is also possible to visit a suspension specialist and get the stock shock absorber re-tuned for your weight and riding.

Many thanks

Cal4572
Cal4572

I have a 1997 carb model blackbird and want to put them radiant cycles gp shorty exhaust on am i going to have any problems with the bike will it need retuning etc?

Grand master mongols
Grand master mongols

my 1999/2000 cbr1100xx superblackbird can not speed up to 180kph it will start jacking, cut supply and off engine, then after slowing down speed and clutching to 60/80kph and jump start it will now pick up slowly and after repeat the same thing I have service my calburator time without number with no improvement. What do I do? Thanks

Jacob
Jacob

I bought a 97 blackbird and rode home. Now it won’t start. Changed plugs and put on new battery. I am not having any luck getting it to fire up. Any help?

Heinrich G.
Heinrich G.

I have the same problem now did you get it fixed and what did you do?

David B
David B

Cbr1100xx injected bike cuts out after 10 minutes and temp is above 95c . Still idles but won't accept throttle. If I hit kill switch and put back on while riding it runs ok .Any ideas?

Willem B
Willem B

How do you remove the electrical plug at bottom of cbr 1100 xx superbird ignition?

Lance O
Lance O

Hi I have a 97 car blackbird

Has been sitting for two years after having the value clearance checked

Changed the oil new plugs and fuel

Cleaned the carburetor after fuel had drand in to the sump

Now one of inlet values leaking

Did spot a bit of surface rust

Hoping it will reseat

What are the options?

Robert J
Robert J

What is the water temp good at?

Hello

I try to keep the water temp below 90C by use of the manual fan override switch that I have fitted to all the Birds I have. I also wrap the exhaust headers in header tape to reduce the radiant heat when air flow is low in city traffic. The other mod I used was to replace the lower section of the fairing just behind the front wheel with a stainless mesh which also assisted in taking the heat away from the exhaust headers more effectively, to do this means cutting the fairing but it looks cool and seems to work well.

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Honda Motorcycles? Claim your listing.