HSBC Online

HSBC Online

See the Best Banks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

They are most inconvenient and time consuming service

We refinanced our house loan with them. They are by far however the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Card wasn't activated despite talking on the phone for 20 or so minutes, when we received our new card, it didn't work and HSBC couldn't identify why. Their service in general is poor, time consuming and inconvenient. Their password system is complex and requires multiple codes to be enter to make transfers. No thank you. And would not recommend to anyone.

Review TypeCredit Card Application and General Transactions

Horrible

Changed my direct debit details for my credit card and loan, you have to fax and post to get it confirmed on there end like its 1972, then the debit still comes out of my old account, which likely I had money in. I had dates of when I called and the forms I had to fax through along with posting and they still claimed i filled in the form wrong. Doesnt matter how cheap the rate is, I will pay the premium so I don't spend 45 minutes on a phone call explaining basic things I could do online in seconds with any other bank dont make the same mistakes. Also to add on, it took me 3 days of phone calls, I am limited on time because I own a business and the only way I could reach out is to tweet them ? and they made me call the customer service number anyway

Review TypeCredit Card Application, General Transactions and Loan Application

Employees don't work and misguide customers

I am very very disappointed with services from HSBC. I have doubt if customer service employees actually work in HSBC. They simply agree over phone. But, don't complete what is requested. I am local in Australia. I recently travelled to USA. I tried to add online travel notes. But, HSBC doen’t have such like other banks. So, I had to call the customer service day before my departure to provide travel note. The consultant took all details. I assumed he did everything he needed to. But my card never worked in USA. I tried to login to online account. That got inactive too. I tried to use the Airport lounge services. That didn't work either. I had to pay from my pocket. It was a very busy trip for me. So, I didn't have time to call HSBC. This is very disappointing. My account remain inactive on my entire trip. What do HSBC employees do? I experienced the same two months ago when I went for family vacation in Bali, Indonesia. I called and provided travel note prior to travel. But the card didn’t work during travel. I called from a public place when my card wasn’t working in a busy line of theme park. I had to provide my personal identification (from public place) to HSBC consultant over phone to make the transaction go through. So, what is the point of providing travel notification if I need to call again from overseas to assure you that I am on travel. Do employees really work in HSBC? I doubt they do.

Review TypeATM Experience and General Transactions

excellent

I have been assisted with a customer care person "Wani" to solve an issue with my money transfer.

She was very much patient and ready to listen what was my concern . sorted the issue .

She got a good manner what a customer expecting from a bank.

She will be an asset to which establishment she is working,

Much appreciated.

eldho

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Terrible online banking and service, stay away!!!

I opened a saver account with HSBC last month and already very unhappy with their online banking service. The app constantly crashed or non responsive, made it so difficult to transfer money in out. When I filled in the form to increase the daily limit to a third party, they only have options to fax or post (talking about 21st century high tech!!!). Once faxed I was told it took 2-3 business days to process. 2 days later I tried live chat to confirm the form has been processed. No, 2 business days only for HSBC to acknowledge they received the form, from that day it actually took another 5-7 business days for them to process. I asked why they said they need to cross check the third party bank account. What an absolute joke. Stay away from them at all cost. Not worth the hassle and the horrible service.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Not allowing me to access MY money

I forgot my user ID etc & had to reset my password, after 10 mins spelling my name out to the operator, as he couldn’t speak English well. He wouldn’t help me with my account, so I told him to send me a bank cheque with my money & close the account, seen I can’t use it. He then turned around & said, “NO” we can’t do that.

FACT: You CAN’T keep my money, if I owe nothing, I hadn’t use my account for awhile & left my money in there. It’s My money NOT HSBC

Hopeless Bank

Application forms for Credit Cards is one painful process that usually results in failure due to a system that does not work.
A confusing document submission process and this bank insists on faxing document. I was given a link that did not work 3 times and later told to fax the documents. In 2019 who still uses fax?
The customer service is horrible, no feedback, if you phone all answers are scripted you will never get a straightforward answer.
I am closing my savings account. I should have checked reviews here before burning my credit score.

Review TypeCredit Card Application

A haven for money launderers

I had my phone number and ID stolen a few months ago and it was used to transfer funds online (to HSBC and then offshore) and open a HSBC account. I contacted HSBC straightaway when I received a statement in the mail for this account I did not open. They requested a stat dec and police report no. which I provided that day. I requested account be closed. I also went into a branch and showed them the fraudulent mule account. Another month later it is still open. I have complained in writing again, yet still no response. It has been more than "2 business days" after my complaint which is a breach of their complaints policy. Obviously criminals are using this bank because they view it as lax in security and service. Terrible terrible service.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions and New Account

The worst bank service I ever had at national and international scale

HSBC has a very poor service:

1) They will make you go through several different types of keys, secret phrases, secret names, and codes in order to save peanuts to avoid hire banking staff to do their job. Exactly, you are the one doing their job.
2) If they have an issue, don't worry! Your 6 digit savings will disappear from your accounts for more than 2 weeks. Moreover, you won't hear from they at all. whether by email, message in online profile, phone call to come to agency....ZERO communications.
3) You can notify them that you will move abroad, you can change your address, you can change your mobile number and you can also see that these changes were done in your online profile, but don't worry. You will be doing the groceries for the week one day and there you go....your card has been blocked out of the blue. Ah, yes...guess what....Zero communication as well on all thousands of possible ways to tell you something.
Absolutely, one of the poorest bank services EVER. Don't bother join these guys.

Review TypeATM Experience, Business Banking, General Transactions and New Account

Not recommended

Absolutely unwilling to cooperate. Not recommend this bank to anyone and no way I would come back. Probably any other bank will perform better for you then HSBC.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

They can't even call their own departments.

I'll spare you the whole story but I have been trying to update my account details on a Serious Saver account with HSBC and the process has taken about 3 weeks now with hours of time on the phone. I was handed around from person to person. They promised callbacks that never eventuated. I have probably spoken to 7 or more different representatives from their phone customer service now to try and sort my issue. They tell me "another department" has to sort the issue but this "other department" can't be contacted via phone, only email. That is a travesty in my opinion (and sub-par) and has caused me to waste my own time trying to sort this whole issue out. Staff are great, don't get me wrong but there's a underlying sickness in the organisation that needs to be fixed in their process and communication channels otherwise they will continue to have disempowered customer service staff.

Great

Opened a global account as I commute between countries. I love having access to different curriences on the 1 card. It's a must have if you deal with many currencies.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions and New Account

Hopeless bank...avoid avoid avoid!!

Been with the bank for past 20 years bit embarrassing but they are Useless! Totally useless ...do avoid and save yourself a whole heap of headaches.. they will constantly block your account for zero reason almost intentionally to stop you spending your own money! Hate them with a passion thank god I have an account with another decent bank!

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Can’t get rid of this bank

I signed up with HSBC in 2008 for a credit card to use overseas. Didnt really use the card much, so no issues. Cancelled my card in 2018 - had no need for it and wasnt impressed with the online banking which is quite horrible and out-dated. More than a year later I’m still receiving emails and sms from HSBC, despite having written confirmation of my account closure. No response to complaint emails I’ve sent. The two times I’ve had to call them the phone process and customer service has been woeful. Ridiculous. It’s like being stalked.

I would award minus 1 star if I could

Twice bitten...now more than once shy.

1. Simply bad process to set up a debit card to be used overseas...and online interface is poor.
2. Unsuccessful application for a credit card despite good credit record and no issues whatsoever with any other bank in my life...inappropriate auto-generated emails, evidence of poor staff training, slow, etc etc etc.

The most bureaucratic organisation I have ever experienced...and that's a big statement to make...

Where is the accountability?

Glad I did not proceed...I have no confidence that my money would safe.

Disappointing.

Review TypeCredit Card Application and New Account

Awful. True reflection of a business too large to service

Truly appalling global business with red tape wrapped in red tape. Despite numerous calls to the UK and Australian offices they are unable to resolve or even suggest solutions to help with relatively simple problems.

Review TypeGeneral Transactions

Mediocre product, crap online banking platform, horrendous customer service

I've been with HSBC for 4 years now, originally signing up for their credit card with rewards points. Everything is ok until you experience using their online banking platform which is way behind other banks. The user interface is clunky and their security measures is appalling! Get with the times and incorporate fingerprint sign-in for goodness sakes!

That's not my main gripe with HSBC though. Their customer service is just horrendous. Their support reps are an absolute pain to deal with and are unable to give answers outside of a given script. They don't listen to your issue and are unable to think outside of the box. Pray you never need to get through to customer support as you'll find pulling teeth out to be more pleasant.

My strong suggestion is if you require a certain product from HSBC, look for something comparative from another bank. We generally have a distaste for the big 4 banks in Australia, but at least their support reps are competent.

Wish I never signed up

It took me 2 trips to a branch and several days of running around to try to set up an account with HSBC, and when it was finally all together I went to download the app and it was useless. I completed what I'd achieved over 1 week with HSBC in an hour online with Commbank. Avoid avoid avoid.

Review TypeNew Account

They have no customer service

I joined HSBC as they had a good home loan rate and I have been so disappointed with their customer service. I have been trying for 3 weeks to get something resolved. They just send emails between departments, if the person doesn't respond there is no follow up. I Finally they have raised an internal complaint, so I phoned to get an update and guess what after 3 days they haven't heard back from the complaints department. I left a credit union to save money and it has been one of the biggest mistakes I have made. As soon as year is up I'm transferring out of HSBC.