Jumbuck 4 Burner Hooded Stardom with Side Burner

See the Best Gas BBQs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Takes a bit of practice

This Barby is easy to light and has a thermometer so you don't overheat things, but it is pretty hot and takes a while to work out how to moderate the heat by turning 1 or 2 jets off.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $298.00.

Preheating Speed
Safety
Even Heat DistributionNo

Do not waste your money

I was happy only for the first 12 months. Flame tames went first - rusted and disintegrated. No parts were available to replace. I had to purchase a different brand of parts and used an angle grinder to cut to size. The burners disintegrated next, they lasted 3.5 years. I tried to find parts without success. Standard burners are 400-410mm, these Jumback ones are 370mm. Unable to use anything else due to this size difference. So after 4 years I have a perfect looking BBQ, which is a throwaway because it is impossible to get replacement parts for Jumback BBQs.

Purchased in March 2015 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Safety
Even Heat DistributionNo

My First BBQ and best I have cooked on so far

First of all let me clarify a few things to help you guys out.
1. I am not a bbq professional or even a professional cook so don't take my reviews as any expert advice. it is just my experiences that i would like to share.

2. Some have complained about missing screws ect... when you opened the box. well mine came with a sealed pack which had all the screws, washers including a screw driver all sealed up so tightly that you need to spend 10mins just opening it. This could be Jumbuck's new way of ensuring every bbq has all the tools required? Thanks to all your reviews?

3. Just like others have mentioned, there is no sticker on the hood or anywhere that effects the look of the bbq.

Now for my review. The box is very heavy. 40kgs so unless your a huge massive guy holding many heavy weight titles, i would suggest you tag a friend along with you. Anyway, i finally got it into the garage and started the assembly process. First thing i did was make sure i had everything. So box after box. I literally had to take everything apart to ensure all parts were there which was a bit annoying but i am not complaining. Just happy all parts were there.

Assembling: Was very easy to assemble. Well for me anyway but then again i am an Engineer by trade so i find these sort of things pretty easy. Also i just want to mention. There is only 2x types of screws you have to use for the entire assembly which again makes it even easier to assemble.

Built quality: I wouldn't give it 5/5 for built quality. More like 4/5 because the right door seems a little out of alignment and when you close it, the bottom magnet doesn't catch on straight away. For some people this is a put off but it didn't worry me as it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Maybe Jumbuck can take this into consideration as i am not the first one to complain about it?

cooking: Ok now it is all assembled, got the 8.5kg bottle ( a brand new one) and screwed in the host and valve and offcourse most important did the gas safety check with soapy water and all passes so ready to cook. I also did a burn-in test for the cast-iron plates and ensured all burners work well and surely they do. The side burner also seems to work very well too with high flame unlike other bbq's i have seen. Then came to cooking and because i burn-in the cast-iron, i had no issues with the meat sticking and i must say it cooked very well. 1 thing to note, i have found some cold spots about 1-inch from the knobs, there isn't a flame there so not a good spot to cook. Also 1/2 inch from the side plate also seems to be not as hot as towards the center. But anyway, this could be because again the flame is too far apart or the cast-iron hasn't fully settled as yet. But overall it does cook well and gets hot very quickly too. Closed the lid and maintained 170c temp which did actually give the food a pretty good smoky flavour and was very happy with the results and the food did taste absolutely fantastic and cooked evenly throughout.

Conclusion: So i seriously am overall very happy with this unit. Yes i would recommend it but also take into consideration what I have mentioned too as for some its not an issue for others it might be.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Best BBQ I’ve ever had

I’ve used it to cook all kinds of meat, fish and veggies with great results every time. All of the bits are easy to remove and clean and the protective cover keeps it looking like new on the outside. I’ve used it on a few wet and windy days and it hasn’t caused an issue. The numerous burners and having a griddle plate as well as the grill gives you lots of flexibility and it’s easy to create a hot area and a cooler area if you need to rotate and keeps things warm. Highly recommend!

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Great BBQ for the price.

Nice BBQ at a good price, was easy to put together and cooks good. Be sure to read the instructions about first use, as there is a protective coating on the plates for transport and you need to burn this off. First few uses everything stuck but now works great! The only negative is that even on the lowest setting food still burns, so I have to turn it past hot and turn knobs close to off position to get the burners down really low for slow burn-free cooking.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Steakmaster

This is a replacement for a much loved bar b q that I had for over 20 years
Much more up to date and easier to cook on, I have bar-b-q;d steaks, snags, fish and other seafoof, roasted pork and lamb and used the side burners for keeping vegies and tomatoes warm and ready for the plate
Easy to clean, just wipe down and give a gentle scrub with a bar b q brush a nice cover keeps it free of dust and the cover over the grill lets me cook in both wind and rain

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Very good BBQ

Awesome product.
I bought this four burner BBQ two month before. I am pretty happy with this.
It cooks very fast and light weight i can carry anyone in my backyard.
Burner quality is also very good.
I recommend to all of my friends to buy this items without any doubt.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Given years of solid serbice

I was more excited than makes sense getting this - not sure why - anyway its years later and its put in many years of soldi service. I just cleaned the garage out and pulled it out to clean down for the new season. It still works beautifully although a little battle worn. It just cooks the most delicious steaks. The temperature it achieve is perfect

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Its good

This BBQ is excellent, my hubby wants to cook more often, only issue i have with this BBQ is that it is starting to rust in different points. Thats why i gave it 4 stars. Other than that. Excellent food comes from it. We even use it as an oven do do our roasts. No complaints. Food comes out scrumptuos. Still a bit of a bugger to clean, ( like most BBQs haha ) No complaints otherwise.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

A great first BBQ - side hotplate is a bonus!

We bought this BBQ the other day and it cooks meat perfectly. We tried sausages, chicken kebab skewers and lamb chops and all of them came out delicious and didn't take very long to cook either. Heat distribution on this BBQ is balanced and if you've got a basic BBQ grime cleaner or the wipes, it's a breeze to clean. We keep it under the pergola so it doesn't get wet when it rains and so far it's keeping great even without a cover. The side hot plate is great for frying up onions or eggs while the meat cooks or even for heating up wraps while the meat cooks. The BBQ also looks great and is very sturdy. Really glad I ended up going with Jumbuck rather than a cheaper brand which may not have been as good quality-wise. A great first BBQ for anyone interested in purchasing one :)

Date PurchasedAug 2018

WOW, tasty. Great BBQ

Generous size, easy to ignite most of the time ! You can cook some great meals on this though It seems to have a cold spot, doesn't cook really evenly but still ok.
Definitely good for the cost. Temperature gauge makes it good for roasting. All in all its a pretty good low cost barbeque and a quick and easy alternative to cooking inside. Important to get a cover for it, to keep the dust off it, keep it dry and keep it in good condition.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Missing Parts

Wouldn't have a clue how well it works/doesn't work as it came without assembly screws. Taking this junk back to where it came from. Thanks for the wasted time. Will never consider buying another Jumbuck, plenty of other BBQ manufacturers that actually care about the quality of item they package for sale.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Great BBQ, but keep it covered to avoid rust.

This is a big, spacious BBQ that our family purchased when we had relatives staying from overseas, and needed the extra burners to deliver a proper xmas lunch!

The piezo ignition makes starting it safe and easy, and the burners burn consistently, without fluttering or going out.

There is a separate wok burner on the right hand side that is pretty useless for normal BBQing, but if you have an electric stove or hotplates inside the home, this an be a much faster and more controllable way of whipping up an asian stirfry or something, rather than waiting for slow, unresponsive electric hotplates within the home.

Recommend this BBQ, but purchase a cover, as after a year or so, you'll get minor rust showing.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

The Greatest...

Very easy to pit it together and it is great to use on most summer nights .With the open grill for cooking steaks and sausages on is the it one of the great reason wegot this product. The Wok is also a good partfor keeping the extra meat already cooked , nice and still warm .the solid hot plate is good , but the only problem with it is that the hole for the oil flow is not big enough to put the scrapping and excess oil to the tray . The BBQ is very easy to clean it and it is also would be smart to get the cover as we did to protect it .

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Good for the price

Pretty good value for the money easy to assemble and cooks well my biggest concern is it’s longevity as some rust and weathering has already stated to appear but I cannot complain for the price we use it a few times every week and I think next time I will go for a better quality unit

Awesome

I bought this BBQ back in September and i have used it regularly since! I found it very easy to assemble and had it up and running in a couple of hours. Only thing i wasn't happy with was the placement of the stickers, although not much of a huge drama to get off just annoying having sticky residue on your new purchase

Date PurchasedSep 2017

One of the best things Iv'e ever bought.

Really, every Australian should own a BBQ and this one is an excellent entry point, the only down side is the doors on the front sometimes misaligned, but I fixed that by installing a latch. Other then that all I can really say is that the burners light up easily no lighter needed, and the side burner is really useful for frying up onion and stuff.

Decent for the price

Got this via Bunnings and initially had trouble with the automatic lighter. Took a few calls and visits to work out/arrange a replacement. However once working it has proven to be a very capable BBQ, heats quickly and its easy to clean. Only concern would be quality control, for the price though it's absolutely fine.

Very hard to construct

We had severe difficulty putting this one together. Could not find the screws as directed in the diagram. This meant that we couldn't even use it properly because we couldn't keep the doors attached. It also felt un-sturdy, like it could come apart at any moment. Would not recommend to buy.

Date PurchasedNov 2012

Where are the screws??

Did anyone have trouble locating the screws for this bbq or has ours just not come with them? Is there a specific place where you found them? SOS

We bought this bbq for Christmas and was just about to assemble it but can not locate the screws. Would appreciate anyone’s help

Date PurchasedDec 2017