Kia Picanto JA

Kia Picanto JA (2017-2021)

Also referred to as: Kia Picanto JA 2020 and Kia Picanto JA 2022. GT-Line, GT, X-Line, etc...

• Braking
  • Comfort
  • Features
beerzuki
beerzukiSouth East Queensland, QLD

All I need, perfect to park

Purchased in September 2020 at Toowong kia.

rman
rmanSydney, NSW

Great car just a reminder kia wont tell you there's a brake pedal replacement RECALL

What a great car. I have a few issues a/c stopped working kia fixed it under warranty and the dealer informed me there was a brake pedal replacement as a recall but I was failed to be notified by kia and its a good thing they replaced the brake pedal as I was getting ABS lights and no brake lights working. All I have to say is the gt is a rocket of a car and a must buy the car pulls hard. I payed $16900 drive away in June 2019 very happy with my purchase.

Performance
Features

Darren Rees
Darren ReesSouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreliable and unsafe; Worst After Care Service Imaginable

I was so excited about buying my first new car ever. In my search I narrowed it down to 3 cars and after test driving all 3 purchased this one. Number one selling point was the Apple Car Play system and the wireless connectivity. The day I picked up my new car it did not work ... was told to update my IOS system when I got home; which I did. Still no success. Reported it straight away and 10 weeks later still falling on deaf ears. I am so so disappointed and now all that is left to me is going to the ACCC. Buyer Beware .... appalling, non-existent, be-littling after care service.

Purchased in September 2020 at Kia Motorama Marooka.

Karen Grandfield
Karen GrandfieldSouth East Queensland, QLD

Love it. Love it. Love it.

Purchased my Kia Picanto on 7 October 2020 and already I love it. It has all the features that you could possibly want. Yes it is a micro car, but it feels much bigger. Handles superbly and you can park on a postage stamp. I use it to commute to and from work on a daily basis in the city. Fantastic. I am hoping that they will bring out the 1 litre turbo to Australia. I would really like to test drive that. It also has capped price servicing, 7year warranty and roadside assistance. How could you go wrong

Purchased in October 2020 at Kia Dealers for $19,250.00.

Phillip
PhillipSydney Surrounds, NSW

Best car in the segment, no competition

Had the Picanto GT for a couple of weeks now, absolutely is the best vehicle in its class - no competition.

Kia have really nailed the small car segment in one swift blow to its competitors, for just under 20K you get almost all of the tech/features that you would want from ANY car (except for sunroof, climate control and heated seats in Australia, weirdly).

Weirdly no automatic is offered if you opt for the GT Turbo, which is a pain when you live in Sydney - seemingly stuck in perpetual peak hour. You can only get the auto with the much slower 1.2L engine.

It would be nice if you could option the car with Kia/Hyundai's active lane keep or radar cruise control, I'd happily tick the box for $2000.

Purchased in January 2020 at Kia Dealers for $19,350.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
sunshinexox
sunshinexoxNSW, 2264

Love it

My car is very convenient, value for money and excellent to drive. Only complaint would be that when I was looking to purchase my car, the salesperson I spoke to on the phone at the Castle Hill dealership was slightly pushy / really trying to influence me to do a particular finance option and wasn't actually listening to what I want. So I went to the Liverpool dealership and have been very happy with the car itself.

Purchased in November 2018.

MelBobo
MelBoboGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great car!

Ok, so it doesn't have much power. But who needs it when you are stuck on 60km most of the time around the city? I love it. So many features, feels a bit luxury inside. Outside is super cute and it gets me from A to B and has a big booty when I put the seats down.

Purchased for $16,500.00.

Disgruntled Seshwan
Disgruntled SeshwanGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Best compact car of 2019!!

One of the best compact cars around! Very economical on petrol. Packed with many features (Apple CarPlay, electric windows, cruise control, reverse camera view, autonomous emergency braking system and leather seats!) Definite value for money! Ideal little car to get from A to B!

Purchased in June 2018 at Kia Dealers for $17,500.00.

David M.
David M.South East Queensland, QLD

Bought the Picanto 2019 xline non turbo.

Coming up to 11 months of ownership this little car is a joy to drive. Handles like a go cart around town. Love the style. Great value. Love the Red color. Can be thirsty if pushed. Feature packed inside and out. Could do with an extra 30kw. Overall very pleased, fun factor 10, style 10, warrenty 10.

Purchased in December 2018 for $19,000.00.

Joe
JoeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Value

Impossible to beat in terms of features at this price range. The 1.3L engine purrs along quietly in the city, but is happy to be pushed hard on the freeways (as it must be). Great steering, too. You'll feel every bump on poor roads, however.

Purchased in September 2019 for $15,198.00.

Nigel
NigelSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great Little Car

For travelling around the Gold Coast this car is in its element. Easy to park with good visibility. The 4 speed auto and 4 cyl engine are a good combination and while no sports car its perfectly fine around town, easily keeping up with the traffic.
I like its smooth and quiet ride and surprisingly spacious interior. It drives like a bigger car, feels solid on the road.
Equipment wise it wants for nothing (even a front centre armrest) and has all the latest safety features.
The 7 year warranty gives you piece of mind.

Purchased in February 2019 at Kia Dealers for $19,000.00.

Keep It Real.
Keep It Real.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Hard Too Beat!

Looks Cool, Drives Well, 7 Year Warranty, Amazing value. Surprisingly spacious for a small car and the finish is excellent.
Very hard too go past Kia with the value, warranty, service cost.

Purchased in December 2018 at Berwick Motor Group.

colMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Okay.not economical on fuel

Purchased in December 2018 for $13.00.

Lisa Holt
Lisa HoltSouth East Queensland, QLD

I love this wee beastie!

I drive to work (about 30 mins each way) Monday to Friday. I love that this car just nips in and out of parking. At first I pined the loss of a CD player but have become accustomed to the bluetooth functionality. The boot space (with the seats up) is a little on the small side but drop the back seats down and I constantly amaze myself how much this little car can hold. Economical on fuel, giving me about 500km per tank. I love my little car - you had me a YELLOW.

Purchased in March 2018 at Keystar Morayfield for $15,000.00.

spider
spiderMelbourne

Top Value for Money

Car for commuting, older single person. I also have the latest Subaru XV. So in comparison they are very different vehicles. The Kia is outstanding value for money, Seven year warranty too. All the modern gadgets autonomous braking. Great on fuel, the perfect city car. The Auto Android perfect. Roomy for size, smart looks

TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Patricia B.
Patricia B.asked
Picanto JA (2017-2021)

Reverse noise problem sounds like brakes(disks) rubbing. Had car 1 day when reverse noise first heard.
Had dealer SERVICE check, they advised noise not heard. Still has reverse noise.
Have heard same noise in reverse on dealer Demo.car.
Want to suggestion of problem so can let dealer SERVICE know.

col

Okay.mine did mainly on sloped drive.does it do all the time.di a diary of when it happens and conditions.try recording on phone start before car and keep doing till record sound. Try another dealer know not happy with mine or approved dealer.call raa if member or get someone who is as they have excellent help for these issue.i called re fuel consumption .keep at it.mine did settle if you just use round city go for a country run with a friend.as my son Murray bridge I did 200 K m there and back .stay with gut feeling until peace of mind.raa will guide you.good luck and let me know how you go. col

Patricia B.
Patricia B.asked
Picanto JA (2017-2021)

Having noise like metal rubbing only in Reverse. New 2019 Picanto. Anyone had this problem?

col

I had also after first service but subsided by self after couple weeks.also reverse .kinda clinked first.if persists ask them.also had noise on high speed from number plates not having enough screws.check out.window down radio off.can use double sided tape also.good luck.col

shf001
shf001asked
Picanto JA (2017-2021)

Does the Kia Picantos engine have a timing chain or a timing belt, and can a full size spare be fitted into the space provided?

Roger
Roger

You can't fit full size spares in spacesaver wells due to their different widths although with the same diameter it is quite possible to block and lift the panel floor cover to accommodate one if necessary. I did that with a 4WD Suzuki SX4 for off road use but lost boot depth accordingly. The 1.25L has timing chain for VVT.

Kia Picanto JA (2017-2021)

Compare all 8 Kia Picanto
Engine4 Cylinder 1.25L4 Cylinder 1.25L3 Cylinder 1.0L4 Cylinder 1.25L
Max Power62kW @ 6000rpm62kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 4500rpm62kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque122Nm @ 4000rpm122Nm @ 4000rpm172Nm @ 1500-4000rpm122Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017