Reviewer Photos & Videos
Our New Home at Martha Cove
We have recently completed our new custom designed built home with Latitude 37. It was an epic project right from the first contact with the Sales team through to the design consult and onto the build project with our Site Manager. We felt very confident at every stage that we were being professionally managed, fully consulted and kept up to date with the progress of the build starting with the Council and Management Committee requirements and approvals which were at times very demanding and slow.
Our block did present a challenge but where and...
We got our dream home!
Big thanks to the team at L37 for delivering our dream home! We had a very specific modern look we were trying to achieve and had a strict budget. L37’s architect and interior designer worked hard to gather all our ideas and integrate it all into a beautiful and cohesive design that not only looked great but practical at the same time. They didn’t just slap together our ideas blindly, and were honest to tell us when some of our ideas would not work well or were “dated". Due to our budget they allocated the budget to where it was most important....When it came to the construction phase the whole process was laid out very clearly. A construction manager was responsible for each major phase of the build, and everything happened smoothly with excellent communication of progress and issues. The team was very fussy and made sure everything was perfect and done on time. When it came to the handover, the defects team combed through every part of the house and identified anything that was not right and fixed it up really quick. Any issues we have had since we moved in have been dealt with really quickly and the same care has been displayed since the start of the process. The only feedback I could provide is that it would be great if L37 did the landscaping as well! This is perhaps something they can add on in the future. I would highly recommend L37 to anyone no matter what styles of house you are looking for and what budget. We have the best looking house on the street as it’s both modern and timeless all at once and doesn’t have anything that we would get sick of in a few years time.
Couldn't be happier
From start to finish our experience with Latitude 37 has been exceptional. From understanding our needs and the opportunity our block offered, through navigating council requirements and approvals to building and delivering our dream home, we have been absolutely delighted. Nothing has been too much trouble, and we couldn't recommend more highly.
Loving Our New Home
Our home was custom designed to suit the needs of our family, the lifestyle we were seeking (outdoor alfresco living and integrated pool), as well as the shape and orientation of our block.
After an 11-month build, we are incredibly happy with the result, and love the quality home Latitude 37 delivered for us. All team members we dealt with on our journey were very helpful and friendly, and the open and regular communication with our site manager was appreciated.
Thanks to the Latitude 37 team for delivering our dream home!
Get quotes from Home Builders servicing your area
Receive up to 3 quotes with ProductReview.com.au
challenging build process but good end product
I got a sloping house single story build done with L37. It's been about a year since I've moved in - I wanted to wait to see if there are any issues post handover.
In essence I found the actual process really challenging, but am generally very happy with the final product. If I had to do it again though, I'd probably explore other custom builders.
* Genuine custom builder - mostly able to choose anything during the design process (subject to Australian building standards)
* If you get the right L37 staff, they are very very knowledgeable and good and great to deal with
* Some of subcontractors are very good - carpenter, painter, floorboards, plasterer...* Some of the L37 staff are very good - concept designer, stage 1 site supervisor ====Challenges==== * Staff turned over lots, and they don't tell you when someone leaves, so every now and then, I ended up emailing the old person for a couple weeks after. * No handover of data when staff turnover. Basically have to re-explain everything. The new staff didn't have access to the old person's emails. * Some of the subcontractors not as strong as others - cabinet maker, carpet, electricals, aircon/heating, post hand over maintenance, plumbing. * Some L37 staff aren't as strong as others - stage 2 site supervisor, project managers ====My learnings for others looking to work with L37==== * They will not allow your own trades on site pre handover. I wanted a better electrical data and sound contractor who does work for other builders, because the L37 contractor couldn't lay some of the data / sound cabling that I wanted. And even though my contractor was happy to do the safety inductions etc required, ultimately L37 still wouldn't allow it. This is understandable so isn't a criticism of them, just something to be aware of, because the L37 sales person said it was possible early on. * DOCUMENT all verbal discussions and email it through as proof of discussions afterwards. Especially pre contract signing. Help with managing knowledge gaps when their staff turns over too. * CHECK COSTINGS whenever the scope is changed. A few times, the costings were not correctly updated when the scope changed (since it's all manually done by hand by L37). eg for me the costings didn't initially get reduced correctly when the central heating was removed. * CHECK DESIGNS and all that prior to contract signing. All measurements, every page, all little pieces of text in the margins of the design. If something isn't written then it will not be done even if it was verbally discussed. Sounds obvious, but although they are a custom builder and their marketing makes it sound like everything is flexible, this is only for the design phase. As they subcontract everything out, once you sign the contract with them, they are more like a volume builder and will hold you to the exact letter of the contract. Even moving a power point is not possible without a formal variation. This isn't a criticism of them, it's more that because engineering, interior design etc is all subcontracted out, it is very easy to overlook some things. And don't feel bad to keep iterating versions of the design if there are mistakes or issues with it - sometimes I felt bad because the design/engineering is subcontracted out and the fixes get dragging out the process. * USE an inspector. The inspector found a lot of stuff. Mostly very minor but did find a few that I was glad was found. * CHECK and PUSH them very hard to fix their a mistake in the build. EVEN bring a tape measure to the in person site inspections. I regret not pushing harder to fix mistakes that we found they made - eg type of drainage in the shower, a microwave space that cannot fit a microwave, a table benchtop that was visibly sagging. * DON'T just auto accept variations. Just like they don't accept any variations unless you pay extra, you shouldn't auto accept variations either. They tried to put a variation for costs for extra electrical work due to the laws changing that they didn't price into the contract. But I researched and found out that the law changed before I signed the contract, so it was L37's fault that they didn't cost it in. * Get the basic landscaping done with L37 (anything that impacts the ground). I tried to save a few dollars but in hindsight that was a mistake because of some issues: 1. the outside ends up pocketed with lots of rubble/concrete. 2) They lay the external pipework based on the non landscaped ground levels. Because I had a sloping block, this meant that the high pressure gas pipe is actually now exposed at ground level post landscaping for the driveway slope 3) There was major outdoor drainage issues from a retaining wall that they put in, that cost me $10k to resolve because they said that drainage wasn't their responsibility and it was hard to fix after the fact. Hope this help you!
Beautiful finish. Outstanding builder
We'd like to take this opportunity to share our gratitude for a job well done. I've built many times before and I can say that Latitude 37 Homes stands head and shoulders above other builders I've done business with. Stand out points are that they genuinely offer a custom experience. Allot of builders say that, but don't really mean it. Latitude really extended themselves to work with us on the design we wanted and allow us to use custom materials which were difficult to work with and sourced from the far corners of the galaxy. We were difficul...t clients! I'd also like say that ALL personal we worked with in our Latitude experience from the initial salesman appointment right through to the guy cleaning the site at the end was highly professional, friendly and had a can do attitude. This might sound like an expectation for anybody who's never built before, but not all tradespeople are created equal. The tradespeople this company use REALLY set them apart. I walked by the site one day and got talking to the tiler. He told me that they're a great company to work for, but they do expect a very high standard. If something isn't spot on, they make us re-do it. Works for me! This is the second home my family have built with Latitude and I offer my highest recommendation to anybody considering building a high quality custom home. Thank you very much to all the team at Latitude. We look forward to having you over to see it once the landscape is finished. Richard (Facey) and Trace
Great home building experience
We have just been handed over our new house and it's beautiful. It took quite some time and effort for us to get to the construction phase but once the construction started, everything went very smoothly. Our construction manager and his team were experienced and responsive. We have been well updated throughout the process. It feels amazing to have our own ideas incorporated into the designs and watch our dream house being built in front of our eyes.
Beautiful unique build on an initially challenging block
A big thank you to Latitude 37 for helping us construct a wonderful custom designed home on a challenging block, which a lot of other builders could not work with.
From the onset we had great experiences with the staff of Latitude 37. Our initial contact Gabriel helped us design a modern and unique house. We had an initial set back with council regulations changing our initial plans after being knocked back by council. Gabriel and Steve subsequently took this on board and somehow came up with an even better design which exceeded our expect...ations. From there we had a great interior design selection/meeting with Rachel whose knowledge and help in assisting us to chose the right materials/colours was invaluable. Our build was managed efficiently and professionally by Andrew and Joe who were both available easily throughout the build. During the build process there was some flexibility in allowing us to change minor things as we went along which from our previous building experiences were not possible. Both Andrew and Joe were both approachable not only during the build but for months after to help us rectify minor issues. We had a number of Project Managers/Co-ordinators during the build and whilst there were some difficulties with communication with one of the managers during the build our last contact/co-ordinator Ashlee was by far the best. She was approachable, knowledgeable and responsive to our queries and requests.
Dream Home built for us by Latitude 37 Homes
First of all a big thank you to the entire team involved with my build, especially our stage 2 supervisor Adrian. Without his hard work and dedication my wife and I are convinced that we would not have achieved the result we did. Our build process, by no fault other than our own, lasted over 2 and half years. More than one and a half years of this was due to our indecision and our delays in finalising plans and colours. At no point did we ever feel rushed or pressured by the Latitude 37 team, they were happy to work with us and point us in the ...right direction as we slowly and carefully ensured that our home was exactly what we were after. The process on their end was smooth, with structural/floor plan appointments, colour selections and electrical appointments organised by the office in a way to work in with our busy schedules. The design team was able to bring to life our design brief perfectly, it is incredible how they were able to work in our requests into a functional, achievable build. Once we finally agreed on what we wanted and went to site the construction team took over. Everyone involved on our build team (Adrian, Mick, Craig, Joe, Katie and Ashlee) ran a tight ship and ensured that we had our house handed earlier than the time frame provided when we first started. The build quality is fantastic, the contractors used on the home were all highly experienced and ensured that the home lives up to the high quality standard that a Latitude 37 Home demands. Any issues, although minor, have been quickly followed and rectified. Our home arrived on budget, a few minor variations on our end were the only change and these were actioned quickly and painlessly by the team. Our handover was handled professionally by Adrian and it was amazing to see the result of all the hard work put in during the build. This is the third home that our family has built with Latitude 37 in the last two years and we are all glad that we made the same decision. We would highly recommend Latitude 37 to anyone in the market for a home that truly is built to bring to life their dream. Thank you very much Liam, Nick and Doug, your team was incredible.
Perfect holiday house
From day 1 everything was smooth sailing. Didn’t have an issue with anything and I found L37 very professional and accomodating on all aspects. All finishings and workmanship are top quality. Always found staff available when needed as I was not always able to be there to observe the construction of my house. The plan has worked perfectly for my holiday house. Thank you to all the staff and especially Lorne.
The reviewer stated that an incentive was offered for this review
Get quotes from Home Builders servicing your area
Receive up to 3 quotes with ProductReview.com.au
Successful Two Storey Modern Build
When we first bought our weather board home over ten years ago, our intention was always to knock down and rebuild. Over the years, we slowly began to look for inspiration, to start piecing together the look and feel our forever home.
The start of the building journey is always a minefield and we entered into it knowing the headache and stress that would inevitably come. But equipped with a solid understanding of what we wanted from a builder, the type of build and a clear budget, we confidently dived in.
We reflect back and still to this da...y cannot believe the home we have and live in. It is a beautiful, well designed, premium quality build. As expected it was not all smooth and problems did arise, but the end result makes it worthwhile and we are overall happy to have engaged Latitude 37 as our builder and have recommended them to several people. Latitude 37 was a clear winner during the vendor selection process. We were impressed by the quality of their display homes, the professionalism of their sales staff and their ability to understand and value our dream as their own. We were extremely surprised with how well Latitude 37 met our design brief. They nailed the floor plan in one go, we only made very minor tweaks. The interior design process allowed us the time to sit with a stylist to carefully select the materials and finishes. This was invaluable and we truly appreciated the meticulous care and detail given to every aspect and feature of our home. We knew what we liked but welcomed the guidance and advice to help bring all the elements together to create the design we envisioned.
Good, but room for improvement
As per anyone who has built, I could easily write a 1000 words but I'll stop at around 100 and outline just the main points. In my opinion L37 is worthy of consideration of your next build with some caveats.
Good : Impressive end result, reasonably priced, good design team, responsive on maintenance fixes post build , some genuinely nice and professional staff
Bad : hit and miss on sub contractors (plastering and surveying especially), poor quality control with some of these trades, site supervisors can make or break the success of various st...ages of the build, which shouldn't be the case (we had good and bad), long delays with certain stages (multiple surveying mistakes and interior design / selections while producing a good result, dragged out for months for us and wasn't as straightforward as going to a showroom and choosing finishes and fixtures or specifying your own as per some of the larger players) Recommended : Your own Independent inspector for the various stages to verify what your independent building inspector (ours was suggested by L37) is suppose to be doing (verifying adherence to building code and quality control) but often isn't, even after a few follow ups on things they missed in the previous stage
From start to finish ... everything was as professional as you could expect, if not more.
From the day we decided to build with L37, everything has been so professional and so accommodating.
The workmanship and quality is outstanding, and from walking through when the slab was first poured, to now living in it for the last 6 weeks ..... we absolutely love it. Once the construction was under way, we were amazed at how quickly the house was built. We moved in 2 months ahead of schedule.
Yes, there are always going to be mishaps when building, but when you look back on it now, we are happy for the experience, and know only to well..., that nothing is ever going to run exactly how you want it to. We encountered a couple of slight problems before the build, but L37 always had an alternative to the issue, and we couldn’t be happier with the outcome. Even to this day, if we have an issue, and they are only minor ones, a simple call to our Site Manager, Adrian, and everything is sorted straight away. We can’t thank Adrian enough, for his expertise during the build, and for his “If this way my house, this is what I’d do” attitude, as this is what we asked of him from the day we met him. To all the staff, Adam, Kaeli-May, Ashlee, Mick, Craig and Adrian, we can not thank you enough for building such a beautiful family home the way we asked. We could have decided on a lot of volume builders, but to pay the extra money and have a custom builder like L37 on board, was the best decision we ever made.
We would work with Latitude again
We moved into our gorgeous new home around 6 months ago, - and we had a good experience building it with Latitude37. While there were a few hairy moments pre-contract, once the build started our experience was excellent.
Did things go wrong sometimes? Yes - a house is a big complex project with lots of moving parts, and different things to consider, but on every occasion (and I don't want to imply that this was a common experience because it wasn't) Latitude listened to us, stepped up and made it right. Their building team were great to work w...ith and even though they build a lot of homes, we felt considered and that the service we received was extremely responsive and sincere. There were two things I really appreciated about Latitude. The first was their willingness to build our home, and by that, I mean a house that is bespoke to us and our needs and taste. We included a number of bespoke features and additional sustainability measures and they have delivered something beautiful and practical. Secondly, their responsiveness to reported issues is outstanding. Whatever questions we had (regardless of how naive as a couple of house-building newbies) they answered and they were diligent about ensuring that any concerns were addressed and followed-through. Today is a great example. While getting some work done on our roof this morning (unrelated to the build) we noticed an issue with one of the gutters. I contacted Latitude 37 and as I type this now the issue has already been addressed. Now, maybe the plumber was in the area, and maybe I was just lucky - but that's amazing service. And it's that responsiveness and consideration of owner's concerns that I think makes building with them such a good experience.
From an honest person writing
1. The overall progress is smooth and being well. Due to L37 is quite big company which consists of different department. So, during the progression, we had experienced different person in each field which is fun. (Pre designer, internal designer, electrical consultant, many site managers, construction manager and so on)
2. Some of the site manager are impressive and helpful, some of them just... I do not specify name here. But a good site manager will make your life feel better.
3. Issue we had during construction: change material, change pol...
Questions & Answers
Has Latitude 37 got an answer for me. How could this happened. First day moving into my new house after the landscape was done I checked the water tank. I have seen dirty water in the toilet before. I found the leaves trap on top of the water tank broken at the rim and the mesh badly damaged, obviously done quite a long time ago. The plumber checked and there was no pump in the tank. The water pipe going into the tank was folded onto itself and taped together in quite a professional way. Obviously removed by a plumber needing a ladder to get up there to remove the pump.
Two days later on a hot 40 degrees day the new evap cooler failed to work.
The next day one of the new toilets blocked. Lat 37 blamed me for using too much toilet papers and blame the landscaper for putting dirt into the pipes!!
The week after, hoping to find something positive about my build I found the ceiling over the alfresco starting to sag and crack. I am trying hard to find something, anything built by latitude 37 that is done right first go.
Definitely not the gutters. Not the down pipes. Not the walls. Not the windows. Not the flyscreens. Not the doors. Not the slab.
Not the plaster ceiling. Not the floorboards. Not the sliding screens. Not the kitchen tap. Not the kitchen exhaust. Not the basin taps. Not the oven. Not the light switches. Not the evap cooling. Not the hot water system. Not the water tank.
Arrrh.....the carpets. They were put in fine. But only found out later that the carpet company refused to use the underlay that lat 37 charged me a lot to upgrade. Why. The quality of this expensive upgraded underlay was still too poor for the company to deal with.
Is this what Latitude meant by great homes happy clients.
It was my last site manager who ignited this whole mess by refusing to build a retaining wall that Latitude 37 had already taken money for. The same person buried my front porch under concrete. The same person covered my featured laminated timber beam with concrete on his own initiative. The same person who begged me to back signed stage inspections yet refused me entry into my own home. The same person repeatedly reported to his senior that the house was completed when it was not. The same person who offered to do private discounted work on my house but please keep this quiet he said. He offered to tile my shower with mosaic tiles from his home for a reduced cost. He offered to paved my alfresco for a reduced cost yet Lat37 refused to do the same because their previous work in this area failed badly. The same person who put on my site buildings materials that were not to be used on my project.
Yes. This same incompetent, untrustworthy site manager was now assigned to look after the maintenance services of my house. Is this for real?
It this how Lat 37 gets back at clients who complain about their bad builds?
Sorry to hear that. Which means how important a good site manager is! I was so lucky I had him for my last site manager. Even just had for 2 month. He just bright my life. We still keep in touch at the moment. Even now, every time I send him a photo with faulty. He just call his trades come and fix straight away. Very reliable person.
Believe me I am so happy for you. Yours must be the other Lat37.
Has Doug McLeod retired? Why does W Nick now own all the words of D McLeod
Why is there such a high turnover of managers, ceo, directors? Even the name was changed from Esperance to Lat 37. To run away from bad publicities?
Get an answer from our members and Latitude 37 Homes representatives
Other Home Builders
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.