Wouldn't build with any other builder!

I’ve now built 3 homes with SJD Homes and am about to start building another, and I would not use any other builder. From the very first home I built with them their professionalism, knowledge, workmanship and customer service has been excellent.

The sales consultants, Rod and Lynne, were upfront with all the site costs, helped me to choose floorplans that suited the block and didn’t charge extra (like most builders) to make changes to the plans. I was always kept in the loop with progress during construction by my site supervisors Shane and Aaron, including photos of different stages, and Rod also stayed in communication throughout the entire process.

Through my last 3 builds, I’ve had dealings with numerous staff in the company including their admin people and the Director, Simon, and have found everyone to be very professional and lovely to deal with.

I’ve relied on their knowledge and advice of what materials, products and colours I should use, from the paint through to flooring options, tiles and tapware, and haven’t gone wrong. The colour selection process was made easy with help from their colour consultant and there were plenty of options to choose from.

I don’t think any build process would be without some issues and I did have a handful of problems (most my own making) during the builds. However, all the issues were dealt with fairly and efficiently in consultation with the site supervisors, site manager and trades.

As a retired investor I also purchased two of SJD Homes’ display homes. I know that some builders have quality display homes but then the homes they build for clients are below the same standard of workmanship. I can vouch for the fact that the homes that SJD Homes build for clients match the same high quality of workmanship as their displays.

Whether you’re building your dream home or an investment property, I couldn’t recommend SJD Homes highly enough.

Site Admin
Structural Integrity
Build StagePost-Construction

Best Builder to build and deal with

We have been in our home for 3 years. From the start of the build, until the finish, we had no problems at all. Our Site Supervisor - Shane was excellent. Any queries we had, he managed to get things sorted quickly and worked tirelessly to get the result we needed. The workmanship and quality of the build was great and we have been very satisfied with construction and and post construction.

Construction End DateJun 2015

SJD exceeded expectations at every step of the way

We were looking to build a home at Rye on an unusual shaped block. We spend many weekends visiting hundreds of display homes but could not find anyone who would build at Rye and allow modifications to the standard house range. We then walked into a SJD display home and knew we had found the right place.

In creating our unique concept, our planner Neville welcomed our many changes and worked with us tirelessly assisting us to convert our ideas in to a working design. Neville came up with ideas we had never thought of and incorporated these into our design. After many revisions and meetings, we were delighted with the design and ready to move into the next stage.

The selection of colours and fittings was made easy working with Leah who spent time with us and our design. The SJD showroom made it easy to see all the options and Leah was great in assisting with a colour scheme and fixture selection to create the environment we were looking for. In some cases we were after something outside the range and SJD proactively helped us in finding the items we were after and integrating these into our design.

So we were ready to start the build. We had heard many bad stories from friends in their building experience with other companies, thus were ready for a hard time ahead. The handover to the building supervisor was seamless. Andy met us on the block and we walked through the entire plan and how the building process would work from start to finish. We wanted to protect some of the local trees and Andy erected a special internal fence to avoid any damage. From the very start of the build, Andy kept us closely involved giving us a feeling we still had some control during the build process. Nothing was too hard, when things went a bit wrong, he would fix them with no questions asked. As the building progressed and we could see our dream evolving, we requested for a number of changes. There was never a problem with any of these and the cost and time of our change were well documented and managed.

We met many of the trades people involved in the build and were equally impressed with them, they all spoke very highly of SJD Homes.

Andy was like having a personal architect, we had full access to him and could openly discuss any issues or concerns we had. His vast building experience allowed him to come up with the best solution to meet our needs. Throughout the entire build we felt SJD had a genuine desire to help us as best as possible to create our dream home together.

Once the house was finished, Andy kept in continual contact ensuring all was OK. The management of some of the small post build issues was done quickly and without question.

I have no hesitation in totally recommending SJD Homes. From the very start to final completion the process was made as easy as possible and if we were to ever build again they would be our first choice.

Thanks for the journey.

Construction End DateSep 2018

Our For Ever Home

WE have been in our home for just over 3 Month's and couldn't be happier being our first build was a walk in the park thanks to the amazing Team from Sale's (picking the House) to choosing the colors and Our Site Supervisor of the build which was just amazing. I would Highly recommend SJD to build anyone's for ever home.. What an amazing Experience my husband and I have had. We love our home so much and after 3 months we have no issues with our house at all, its all just perfect no faults with the build.. Its just how we envisioned our for ever home to be Thanks SJD and your amazing Team. And the house came with in our Budget...

Construction End DateAug 2018

First Build Experience; We're a Customer for Life

We've been in our SJD home since February this year 2018. We feel so lucky to have had such an amazing experience building for the first time! Our Journey began when I spotted a block of land in an estate in Pakenham, being very new to buying land I called the SJD head office for some advice and was transferred to Rod.
Rod took up a fair chunk of his time offering me advice that was unbiased and had absolutely no catch or pressure associated with it. About 3 weeks later I bought the land and long story short, after a meeting with Rod and deciding to go ahead with the build we were introduced to Nev.
No question is too silly for Nev, we were so impressed with his patience, attention to detail and promptness with keeping us updated with the permit application and our plans.
Our build supervisor was Shane. Nothing is too much trouble for Shane, he regularly kept us updated with the status of the build and managed our project so well, we couldn’t be any more grateful.
The build quality of our home is far beyond what we were expecting! We’re so happy with the way that everything was finished, and of the few things that did arise on our 6 month maintenance inspection, they were resolved in a timely manner with the upmost professionalism.
I’m a pretty picky and thorough person; this wasn’t a problem with Shane, he went through all my concerns and addressed them.
A lot of people have asked us since moving in how it was building for the first time, and we’ve heard a lot of horror stories with other companies. I am happy to say; that every time the conversation arises we are more than happy to tell our story to anyone that will listen.
We would not hesitate in building with them again, and we look forward to building our forever home with them in the future! If you’re thinking about SJD, go and have a chat to them, you won’t be disappointed. Their friendly, no fuss approach to all customers is reflected the moment that you make contact. Make sure you do your research and have a list of questions ready to go, you'll be impressed with the attention to detail in the answers.

Construction End DateFeb 2018

Our first build experience has been a positive one – thanks to SJD

Six months living in our SJD home and we’re still pinching ourselves that this beautiful home is ours. To say that we are happy with our SJD home is an understatement – we simply love it!

Shortly after securing a block of land two years ago, we nearly committed to signing with a ‘big’ builder. However, change in circumstance saw us delaying any build for a few months, resulting in us missing out on our initial deposit as well as ‘locked-in price’

In retrospect perhaps that was meant to be as our research led us to SJD homes. Drawn to the good online reviews and their current promotion at the time, we decided to pop into SJD’s Tulliallan display home. We met with Tracey Johnson, who eventually became our sales consultant. Tracey was so easy to deal with, never pushy in sales talk (which we loved after being hassled with too many sales calls in the past).

What started as an initial enquiry about SJD’s entry-level Evolution range homes, ended up with a deposit for one of SJD’s top tiered Aspire range homes. And no, this was not Tracey up-selling to us. It is basically a testament to the quality and value in SJD’s homes. The final build price was nearly on par with the price of the initial builder we had. Only difference was, with SJD we got so much more! The standard inclusions included items like 2.7 m high ceilings, stone bench tops through out, double glazing etc. With the other builder these would have been upgrades.

When it came to the colour selection, we were professionally guided by Leah, who brought together our various ideas into a uniform look that we could not feel more pleased with and proud of.

For the build phase, Shane was our supervisor and, like Tracey, was open and easy to deal with – guiding us through our many first home-buyer ‘silly’ questions. Shane also listened and addressed any concerns during and after our build.
Also, need to mention the Accounts office staff at SJD, in particular Dimity. Hiccups with our bank saw the first draw down payments for the base and frame stage delayed by a few weeks. Was a very stressful period to say the least, but was good to have a friendly voice on the other end each time we called in.

In conclusion, thanks to the team at SJD, our first build experience has been a positive one. As first homebuyers with a young family… when we started this journey two years ago, from buying the land and looking at potential builders, we could never have imagined we could afford a home of this size, quality and finish. SJD made what we once only dreamed of having a reality. We would encourage anyone looking for a quality build, but at the same time, value for money, to give SJD a go.

Construction End DateApr 2018

Repeatedly Happy Customer

I have built two homes with SJD now, my very first home and then 5 years later my upgraded home, and am happy with them both. My latest one was completed in December 2015 and nearly 3 years later I have no issues. I was very surprised to read one of the negative reviews below as it was the complete opposite for me. SJD bent over backwards to accommodate my heavily-modified home from their original plans. I've had quotes and discussions from other builders who flatly refuse to move (non-structural) walls or doors and change things, however SJD were more than happy to work collaboratively to suit my needs. I learned some lessons from my first build and was very specific with the small details on this house and I think that helped in the great end result. By this, I mean that I specified everything myself from tile orientation to light and powerpoint placement, rather than just leave it up to the builder/designer.
Once we progressed onsite things got even better as I was assigned Shane as building supervisor. Shane is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful blokes in this game you could wish for. He was always patient with my 101 questions and went over and above in explaining how and why things were done a certain way, not just give the answer and fob me off.
The only very minor issue I had was that one of the tiles delivered was wrong. This was picked up by Shane prior to the tiler laying them and rectified within the week. Handover was still completed well under the allotted time for the total build as they worked really hard to give me my wish of moving in prior to Christmas!
I can't sing the praises enough of this mob, especially Shane. When I build my next house i'll certainly be using SJD again.
For what it's worth, no I'm not a relative or a mate of anyone that works for SJD; I simply believe in advocating for someone or something if you've had a great experience.

Construction End DateDec 2015

My dream Home Built by SJD

We are very happy with the quality of our new home from Slab to roof , plasterers tiles and cabinet are all very high quality, insulation is very good. SJD offers very competitive prices when compare to other builders, Our supervisors Shane have been great in responding promptly to our calls and queries. The customer service has been good, highly recommended builder,

Thanks everyone
Srinivas & Sangeetha

Construction End DateJun 2018

Highly recommended builder

We've just finished a build with SJD and we have had a very smooth experience. No major issues at all. Minor things that are to be expected that have been promptly and professionally dealt with. Special mention to our site manager Shane, who has been excellent. Easy to contact, quick to reply and has great tips based on his years of experience.

Our large double storey build started in November and was completed in July. Our friends and family are in disbelief that something of such a high standard could be completed so efficiently. Even our independent site inspector commented on the high quality of our build.

I can honestly say we have no personal affiliation with SJD and neither do my two work colleagues who also built with SJD and love their homes. I would assume the small number of reviews is more likely to be due to the fact that SJD only take on a certain number of projects per year so that they can give you a more personalised experience. It's not until you hear about builds with other companies, that you truly understand the superior experience you get with SJD.

If your priority is a high number of reviews online, then maybe this isn't for you. But if you are looking for a builder that is reliable, efficient and truthful about costs from the start, pick SJD, you won't regret it.

Construction End DateJul 2018

We hate living in our home!

We have not enjoyed living in our house for one day, because there has been constant issues with our build.

We got sucked into building with SJD homes because of reading all it's so called good reviews, but when you think about it there's only 55 reviews in total and I suspect a lot of those must be family and friends who have built with SJD Homes.

Our SJD rep promised us everything, but SJD homes delivered a very poorly built single storey house which cost us over $400,000.

Be warned SJD homes does not build quality homes. Do not chose SJD home to build your dream home. They just slap up cheaply made houses for investors as rentals. They have rude lazy supervisors who do not visit your site very often and just let their unsupervised tradesman do a very poor job constructing your house. The tradesmen did not have up to date plans and also advised us that they rarely saw our site supervisor on site.

I've had to contact SJD homes twice a week for 4 months to get things finished.
We've had painters, cabinet makers, plumbers, electricians, tilers, carpenters, flooring companies, air conditioning companies, water tank companies, the list goes on and on, all trying to fix our shockingly built SJD home.
We have barely had a day where a tradie hasn't been at our our house repairing SJD stufff ups.
Even now after living in our house for 4 months there's still ongoing issues.

Our site was never secured, with temp fencing falling down and unlocked gates.
We had other builders from other companies using our electricity and water, to wash up there tools on our property, leaving there rubbish behind.

The rubbish that was left on our site after handover was disgusting SJD just cover all their rubbish with a layer of cheap soil.
I spent thousands of dollars to clean up our property after handover.
Our front and rear yards were left in a disgraceful manner, full of concrete, timber and rubbish.
SJD just put a small retaining wall and left our rear yard with a steep embankment which required us to pay for an additional 25mtr retaining wall.
They just did the minimum with everything.

Our concrete slab dimensions were incorrect and also poorly laid with a very rough surface finish in our garage, which needed to be recovered. Because of the wrong dimensions of our slab, our front porch area needed the concrete slab to be extended and even required our front timber posts to be re positioned, which were all done to a very poor standard with a rough uneven concrete finish and steel stirrups missing anchor bolts on our posts.
There were gaping holes under slab, and also stud framing and brick work over hanging our slab work in some areas.
SJD homes refused to fix these issues, even though they exceeded building regulations, and once again we were bullied into leaving it as is.

Our paintwork throughout our house is terrible, we chose white for our architraves, doors and skirting boards and they have turned yellow. SJD says that's what happens to the oil based enamel paint they use. And now they want us to pay to get our paint work re done.

The paint work on our walls was barely covered in one coat of paint and had to be re painted. Despite the original paint lacking coverage and being of awful quality, SJD only covered the costs for 1 coat of the better paint in the main living areas ONLY. We had to pay extra for a second coat with a better quality paint. They are still walls throughout our house with barely one coat on them, but we refuse to pay to have this fixed. Why should we have to pay!

Our frame looked like teenagers had gone off with a nail gun with nails protruding out everywhere,and missing nails where required, split timbers, crocked noggins and flimsy single stud framing around our doors and windows. Other builders use double or triple stud framing around doors and windows.

Our frame had incorrect walls and window sizes, because our carpenters were given the wrong plans from our site supervisor. When I contacted our site supervisor about these issues he reacted very rudely and angrily towards me.

From then on he continued to make our life a living hell, he argued against every mistake found, bullied us and dragged our construction time out as much as he could, months went past when nothing was done to our house, even after we had paid 90% of our total build cost which was over $400,000.

We were made to buy our oven two months before moving in just so they could measure the size of it because they did not believe us, in the end was the exact size they were told. We provided them with the spec sheet showing these measurements months prior to our build starting. Our oven then just sat in there office for months after we had paid for it and our warranty had started.

SJD cabinet makers WB cabinets just argued with me about the measurements for months and even on installation day they still got our kitchen cabinetry wrong and had to remove plaster behind our oven to fit out oven in.They just did not listen to us!
We are still waiting for WB cabinets to fit a panel in our pantry. We have contacted them directly several times to have this amended and to this day are still waiting to have it completed correctly.

SJD's plumbers were useless, incorrectly installing our gas cook top, which caused us to be without a cooktop to get in fitted correctly.

SJD's electricians from G & G electrical are hopeless, power points not wired or positioned correctly, they also installed our ceiling fans, when I checked the screws holding the fans up they were loose and wires fell out our junctions.

The Air conditioning company "Halliday's" which SJD use is useless, they did not wire up our very expensive A/C correctly and took weeks to fix. It is still not working correctly despite numerous phone calls to Hallidays.

SJD's site supervisor and management do not listen to your concerns, instead come up with some rubbish excuse, and try to convince you that "it will just fine", "don't worry about it"

I could go on and on about the constant issues we have been having and continue to go through.

I've even spoke to our neighbour who has unfortunately chosen to be build with SJD homes, who is also not happy with SJD.

If your already committed to building with SJD Homes, get private inspections done at every stage.

At contract stage we were promised to be in before xmas, but due to our site supervisor stopping things getting done, we did not get in until late feb 2018

We were going to have private inspections done, but our site supervisor bullied us and advised if we used private inspections it would delay our build further and was quite upset that we did not trust him. We thought from reading SJD reviews it would be ok, and in the end it took the full contract time of 7 months anyway as there were nothing done for almost 2 months just to build a poorly constructed average size single storey house.

Then in the 2 weeks before handover there was a mad rush to quickly finish things off to a very poor standard, such as terrible paint work, fitting electrical appliances incorrectly, not wiring up our A/C correctly, not cleaning up the work site.

SJD's response to my recent facebook review is ridiculous and unbelievable.
For SJD homes to say they're sorry to hear we are unhappy with our build is insincere.
SJD have never shown any remorse or sympathy towards our horror build, just excuses and quick fixes.

They know all too well what a total disaster of a build our house has been due to there lack of communication on there part, poor workmanship and constant issues with our site supervisor, and there still other outstanding issues which SJD have been notified about many times.

Time will tell is they fix our yellowing paint issue at no cost to us.

Our other concern now, due to the poor concrete foundations and carpentry work, is what will happen next..

We do not recommend anyone building with SJD Homes,
Feel free to contact me for more information.

Construction End DateFeb 2018
Hi Mark, We are very sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with your experience with us building your custom home. We always endeavour to provide a positive experience for our customers with our service and the workmanship of our homes. As much as we would like everything to be perfect and run smoothly 100% of the time for our clients, unfortunately this isn’t always the case. However, we pride ourselves on doing our best to rectify any issues that arise. We believe that the issues you have noted in your comments have now been addressed and rectified in consultation with our site manager, director and trades, and we are still in communication with you regarding your paint concerns including arranging meetings with the paint supplier. We hope to resolve this with you very soon. We take all feedback from our customers seriously and are investigating all areas of your concerns to make improvements wherever we can.This is a typical builders reply, and is not correct. You are not sorry to hear we are unhappy with our building experience with SJD, as you have never apologised for the terrible building experience we have been through with SJD Homes. We have had no recent communication from SJD, they are ignoring my emails! We still have many outstanding issues to be rectified which our site supervisor knows about which were not listed in my post above. We have not had any update on when our terrible paintwork will be repainted!Thanks to Andy one of SJD site supervisors, all outstanding issues have been resolved.

12 Months In and we still love our SJD Home

12 months ago today (22/06/17) we picked up the keys to our new SJD Hamish designed Home. We decided to wait a whole year. To have that time to reflect on the process and the end result of building with SJD. Rather than get caught up in the small stuff as I’ve read from other passed posts from other builders reviews . We wanted to leave an honest and realistic view of our Journey from planning stage to Building stage to the end result and looking back over the last year.

Building a new home is a real challenge and can feel overwhelming at times but overall it was the best decision we ever made for our family to build with SJD

The planning process
Planning to contacts
SJD had a few minor hiccups that had to sorted out by Rod Sales Manager from an staff member that new to the industry. And a change in to our site costs but Once that was all sorted we were back on track. The Planning stage was all in the details -
SJD had by far the best option for upgrades and variety from shower heads to bathroom basins colour range and they didn’t try to rip us off in costs like we had from larger building firms that we had quoted from . Their Standard inclusion for our house we’re higher ceilings, larger architraves, 900mm oven. Higher grade quality carpet. Larger size tiles All included. Our colour selection meeting was very easy to follow and understand giving us the best choices to make to suit our needs and tastes.
other builders tried to charge us for inclusion in their quotes.

The Build process
Arron was our building supervisor very professional guy. Always emailed updates and call at each stage in the building process. We did call with questions along the way always Got back to us with answers can’t fault him in communication.
I like anyone building for the 1st time became a little obsessed to see where they were up to in building our house driving up to the house a couple of times a week, I could honestly say there were 9on site nearly 6 days a week for a majority of our 4.5month build.

The Result
We made the best decision to build with SJD. The quality of house for our budget truly work for our family. After 1 full year living in the house. We have settled right in to our home . No cracks No call backs for fault work. Nothing, nothing at all we have not had to call them once in the last 12 months for anything. That for us has been the best stress free feeling.
If you are considering SJD as your builder you have made a good choice and we didn’t Regret it.
Good luck with your build and we hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Construction End DateJun 2017

Fantastic Company to build a new HOME with

Having dealt with SJD Homes with 2 Build recently, being our own build and our Son and Daughter-in -Laws. I have to say that their service is exemplary from start to after sales and handover support. Nothing is ever to much for their staff to assist you with. You are treated as a person and not a number. They are fully transparent with all dealings.
Our block was an irregular corner block that several builders and the developer said that we would have to build a 2 Storey on. When we spoke with SJD Homes Jean Morrison and Kevin Parson were able to design a beautiful SINGLE storey Home with 4 Bedrooms, 3 Living Areas, Butlers Pantry and extended Double Garage together with a sizeable garden/entertaining area. The storage space that Jean and Kevin where able to encompass in the design has been commented on by many of our friends, as unfortunately in this day and age a lot of properties lack storage space.
SJD’s range of standard inclusions is superior to that of other builders and is a big cost saving when it comes to choosing colours, tapware, floorings etc. This is very important when calculating the overall cost. Leah is very talented in assisting with Colour Selections, she listens to what you are trying to and then advises you on what will work in a very professional and consultative manner and never puts your down but directs you as to the best overall solution.
Our site supervisor Shane was on the ball throughout both builders and nothing was ever any trouble for him, even when we asked seemingly trivial questions we were treated with respect and dignity. He ensures that they deliver a quality, professional build on time.
We have been in our property for nearly a year, I have held off writing a review so as I can reflect on what the after hand over support is like and am happy to say that we have not had any major problems and the small ones that we have had have been quickly rectified.
We love our HOME and are so happy that we choose SJD Homes to build it for us as they made what is a scary process very simple. You hear so many horror stories, but I assure you SJD make the whole process simple and seamless.

Construction End DateJul 2017

The beginning of forever

Our block was a little complicated, a build that nearly didn’t happen until SJD homes put their hand up! From the moment we met with Tracey our building consultant, we knew we were in good hands! Things only got better from there when our site supervisor Shane was appointed to us. Shane never missed a beat! When we were told things were going to happen, they happened and even sometimes ahead of schedule. The communication Shane gave to us was exceptional, we were always in the know. Our Caversham split level is the most beautiful house which with the help of SJD homes we turned into a loving home. We have been in our home for 10 months and still walk around in awe that this magnificent home is ours! Our dream became a reality thanks to the team at SJD Homes. This is a home where we will raise our children and make so many memories. I highly recommend SJD Homes to anyone about to build. It will be a wonderful build with very personal attention to you whilst building. You will not be disappointed. Thanks Shane, Tracey and the whole team at SJD homes.

Construction End DateJul 2017

quality product five stars all the way!

I've decided to write this review based on my experience with SJD so here we go. Firstly It was very important for me to know what each builder offered in regards to size of house, layout and list of inclusions as well as knowing what the site costs were going to be for my block of land prior to signing any contract. It all started with me visiting about 150 display homes throughout Melbourne over a 3 month period and getting a feel for what each builder offered. What I can say is don't be fooled with display homes cause most builders ensure that their displays are of a high standard so when you walk in you feel like you're getting the same with your brand new build. Keep in mind I am one very fussy customer and I make sure that my research is done thoroughly before committing to anything. Also another good tip is to stay away from volume builders because at the end of the day your just a number.

Look for a small to medium builder and one that takes pride in the finished product. This is where SJD ticks all the boxes. For anyone looking to build please read this> Don't waste your time and money on other builders; SJD homes are by far the leaders in building you a quality home and I seriously mean that! Everyone who has been inside my house were complementing me on such a fantastic home as well as the finishing touches which were quite amazing. They thought it was just as good or if not better than a display home and that just goes to show you what type of product you get when the build is complete with SJD. Big thanks to the tradies; great job guys! and that's coming from one fussy customer. But the two most important people who really guided me through the process was Tracey my sales consultant and Andy my site supervisor. Firstly Tracey was an absolute pleasure and privilege to work with. She will go to great lengths to ensure everything is done properly as well as touching base with you regularly and seeing if everything is in the contract before signing away.

From memory I think I hold the record for SJD on revised plans and quotes. I kept changing and adding more things to my list of bells and whistles and boy was I happy I did. I must of revised my plans and quotes 13 or 14 times which indicates how fussy I really am; nonetheless Tracey was very patient and I honestly thank her for being patient throughout the whole process. Now secondly Andy my site supervisor this guy is an absolute legend! Andy ensured everything went to plan and each stage was completed on time and just like Tracey he was very patient in all the questions I asked him. There were times where he advised me on a few changes with the plans and I left it in he's hands cause I knew I had a professional looking after me. If I wasn't happy with something, Andy was onto it straight away. This guy doesn't muck around and gets things done straight away. In my view SJD are very lucky to have someone of Andy's calibre but also blessed to have a good team working for them. SJD thanks for such a beautiful home and to anyone looking for a builder, look no furthur SJD will definitely look after you. Big thumbs up guys............ Garth

Construction End DateNov 2017

Very, very, very happy!

My wife and I searched almost every weekend for 2 years for a new home for our growing family! We couldn't find anything we liked and after almost giving up we stumbled across a beautiful block of land and decided overnight to build our dream home! Then the nervous search for a builder began. We've been through every display home in Melbourne's south east, spoke to every builder, talked with families that had built homes and started to narrow our focus down to three builders. After several visits to their display homes and several discussions with their helpful helpful staff we decided to go with SJD Homes. It's a decision we have never regretted either!
We had the pleasure of working really closely with our Sales Consultant Neville on a customised Rutherford design to suit our block. Neville was very knowledgeable and provided us with plenty of practical advice during the design process. In fact, with a mountain of decision changes and adjustments to the building design, we really test SJD's patience and they were fantastic the entire time!

Once we got through our design and contract process, we met our Site Supervisor, James. We are very fussy people, and we were glad to find that James was a perfectionist too! James made the building process easy, made all appointments, asked our advice on minor design challenges, fixed any building supply issues and was always calm and relaxed! As everyone knows the building process is stressful enough - but James was brilliant in turning our designs into reality. Most importantly, the finishes, workmanship and craft within the home has impressed all of our family and friends.

We have also been pleasantly surprised by SJD and James' after handover support. He's managed all questions without fuss and we feel like valued customers.

Suffice to say, we would build again tomorrow with SJD, with Neville as our sales consultant, and James as our site supervisor. Thank you guys for making our dream home a reality! We love it.

Construction End DateOct 2017

10 STARS to our building consultant Tracey!

From the moment we stepped in the door, we have had a seamless and enjoyable journey with SJD Homes. Our building consultant, Tracey, has been so accommodating to our specific needs and has gone above and beyond to truly make our dreams come true, providing great suggestions to really make the home 'our own'. Building our first home seemed scary at first, Tracey was happy to answer any question we had with her outstanding communication skills. Always clear and thorough information meant there was no surprises and little to none errors. Pricing was reasonable which left room for us to select upgrades and extras. Colour Selections was a breeze, their showroom had everything and Leah did an amazing job of helping us with selections. Today we have officially signed our building contracts and cannot wait to build our first home with SJD. Big thanks to Tracey for everything she has done.

Construction End DateOct 2018

They don't just build houses.... they build homes

I have been in my new SJD home now for almost year and I have purposely not written this review until now. I didn't want the euphoria of moving in to the home to cloud my opinion on the quality of the build. I wanted to wait until the one year maintenance period was almost done to give an honest view. So what you get here is a very considered view. Sadly my circumstances changed during the initial period of searching for a house design as my partner passed away. I did my research and went along to SJD to consider options with them. After meeting SJD's sales consultant Tracey I realised that this is a company who genuinely cares about their customers. I had a particular design in mind and through the willingness and commitment from Tracey to work with me, we put two of their house designs together to create my home. Tracey even went over and above her role to research facades with me that they could adapt to suit. Of course anyone who has built a house knows that the quality of the actual build and its progress is down to the quality of the supervisor. I reckon I got the best. Knowing my circumstances and that I was doing it alone, Shane gave his commitment to guide me through the process and he did just that with kindness, advice and true professionalism (responding to enquiries, keeping things on track, being honest to help guide me). The finished product was just as I wanted it to be and the finish is fantastic. Yes I have had a few snagging problems which I defy any build not to have. What matters most though and I think this is the testament to a professional company - is that I felt heard, the problems were sorted quickly and to a high standard. I felt valued as the customer. I would recommend (and in fact have recommended) SJD to others. They don't just build houses, they build homes and that's the difference. In my case they kept their promise to do that for me and I am very grateful. Thank you SJD and in particular the wonderful Shane and Tracey.

Construction End DateApr 2017

Great Experience

We built our first investment property with SJD Homes recently and could not have asked for a better experience!

From the get go the whole process was easy and stress free. Nothing was too much to ask and everyone always willing to assist where they could.

The quality of the finishes and exceptional customer service will have us back again for our own home due to start early next year.

Construction End DateDec 2017

Value for money

If you are looking at building a family home with whatever budget you have, look no more as SJD homes will tick most if not all the boxes that you might be looking for. We built a modified Hamish in Keysborough to suit our block and the end product was surely value for money. This builder takes attention to detail and ultimately takes customer service to a whole new level. Forget about the so called big builders, SJD Homes will not disappoint you. Thank you to the SJD team for a wonderful experience.

Construction End DateDec 2017

SJD delivered!

For our second house build, we were looking to build a spectacular home on the 5 acres we'd previously bought. After looking at all the major builders and getting some great ideas, we were disappointed with the quality of their display homes in Officer.
We'd previously seen the SJD Homes display home and not thought much of it, but we went in to have a good look around. The first thing that hit us was the way they were put together very well and had a good list of inclusions for the price.
Over quite a few design meetings, we settled on what started off as a Ranchstyle house but became a totally custom design with everything we wanted; double glazing, extra insulation, higher ceilings, entertainers kitchen with butlers pantry, play room, parents retreat and full custom cabinetry throughout.
Our site supervisor Scott was always on hand to work with us and showed impressive patience on what was quite a detailed build. He drove through a 44 square house build in six months and the quality is fantastic.
When we have had any issues they've been dealt with straight away and fixed correctly.

We've had some local real estate agents through recently and the prices that they say we could sell for means it would be an easy and quick profit if we wanted to sell now.

I have recommended SJD to other friends and family and we wouldn't hesitate to build with them again.

Construction End DateMay 2016