Medibank Travel Insurance - International Comprehensive Plan

Medibank Travel Insurance - International Comprehensive Plan

Single Trip, Annual Multi Trip

Brian

BrianSouth East Queensland, QLD

Will use Medibank travel insurance again

We have traveled overseas many times and have never had to make a claim until recently when my wife fell ill. Very glad we switched to Medibank insurance. Made claim when we got home, wrote explanatory notes, set out clearly what we were claiming, got documents from our travel agent and had our GP do his bit. Sent the lot off and were quickly advised that our claim was being assessed and within days notified of its acceptance and then received the refund in 3 days. Very impressed.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationNew Zealand and Pacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu)

Emily

EmilyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great peace of mind and claim turnaround

Easy to set up. Claimed for being sick on our holiday - submitted online. Procedure was lengthy which I understand they have to verify your receipts/invoices with your story. Received a confirmation email that the claim was submitted successfully and that they would get back to me within 10 business days.
Got back to me within 10 days and my claim was accepted.
Easy, no hassle. Will be using this travel insurance for future trips.

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationEurope and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Claim DateNovember 2019

Terrible prolonged claim

My flight home from Thailand was cancelled and I had to purchase additional flights as I am a Midwife and had to be in the country for a birth. Two months later still waiting for my claim. I am a gold
level Medibank health insurance customer but apparently the loyalty doesnt cross over to travel insurance. Really disappointed. Have sent follow emails going on two weeks now and havent heard anything.

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea) and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)

Hi Judith,
I am sorry to hear about your experience with submitting your Travel insurance claim. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. We would love to get this resolved as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Anna

Alan Hogarth

Alan HogarthPerth, WA

Great Travel Insurance

My claim came about as my wife passed away prior to the planned cruise. The cruise line would only refund less than half of the total cost. I contacted Medibank Travel Insurance and found them very helpful by sending me the claim forms. I was able to complete the claim forms and provide the required documents. The claim was accepted and I was very happy with receiving the full amount of the claim less the $250 excess. I would have no hesitation in recommending Medibank Travel Insurance to friends etc. As I plan taking a holiday to Thailand, be assured I will be taking out your Travel Insurance.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)

Sherry A.

Sherry A.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Easy to claim, need lots of Evidence

Was easy to make a claim, asked for lots of supporting docs so make sure to read terms & conditions. The claim was resolved in a timely manner. Customer service could be better. However everything else was good.

Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for submitting your review. If there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Thanks, Anna

Break a leg in Iceland

Break a leg in IcelandSouth East Queensland, QLD

You have to have a go (at a leg break) to get a go (at insurance claims).

Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Type of ClaimMedical and Travel Delays/Cancellations

Shocking Experience

Shocking experience. Pregnancy complications forced a cancellation however a letter provided by OB was not sufficient. They wanted a GP letter instead. Due to moving cities we didnt have a GP for longer than the required 12 months as they needed to verify this was not an ongoing medical issue. Sorry, what? A specialists letter isnt good enough? Joke. The entire cover is less than impressive and the experience with the claims team terrible.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months

Hi there,
I am really sorry to read of your experience with submitting your travel insurance claim. We'd love to look into that for you. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.
Thanks,
Anna

I do not believe it.

I do not believe it.

Pre Existing Conditions

We have been loyal members for over 40 years and have just been refused insurance because back in 2007 my husband had open heart surgery. My question is, how long is a patient punished for an illness that happened nearly 13 years ago. We have been all over Europe, Asia & the Pacific with no problems at all and always had insurance which covered the heart. We have applied and has been declined for a cruise around Argentina. WHY?????????????

DestinationSouth America
Claim MadeNo

Hi there,
I am sorry to read that you have just been refused insurance. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Anna

I wrote the above message a week ago and Medibank informed me that travel department will get in contact with us. Still waiting for a phone call

SJ

SJ

Dont bother cause they wont pay you a cent

I have been fighting with these crooks for almost a year now . I had over $2000 in cancellation fees due to my mother having a stroke . They refuse to pay . Do not use them they are over priced and useless

Claim DateNovember 2018

Excellent service

I felt the policy was excellent value as it turned out.
I lodged a claim and it was covered within 2 months.
Covermore who were the underwriters for you were excellent and the nurses for Medibank were ringing me every day.
Excellent service would definitely recommend and use you again.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)

Tegan

TeganSydney, NSW

Issue still not resolved

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Jacobite

JacobiteSydney

Medibank Travel insurance does what it should - you can rely on it

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationAustralia and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Barry

BarryGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Simple claim but fully satisfied with process and result this time.

Have travelled three times to USA, Europe and UK and made two claims. First claim 3 years ago was problematic, but eventually resolved in my favour. This small recent claim was handled without fuss. I would use Medibank again.

Hi Barry,
We are glad to read of your positive experience with submitting your Travel Insurance claims. Thanks for taking the time to submit your lovely review. - Anna

Greg

GregSydney, NSW

Travel insurance is NOT travel insurance

We travelled overseas and where supposed to have Back-To-Back cruises on the same ship. Half way through the first cruise the sip broke down and as a result the cruise ship required dry-dock and the rest of the fist trip and the second trip were cancelled necessitation we return home. A claim was submitted and declined upon our return.

Nonajane

NonajanePerth

My sister and I had planned a cruise, 2 months prior to departure, she suffered an injury. My only issue with the process being the absence of the release documents for the travel agent and GP, it would have been far quicker if all the required documents were provided at the outset, rather than wait for them to be requested. I would, however recommend this company.

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea), Europe and North America (inc. Hawaii)
Claim DateJune 2019
Joeblow

JoeblowGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Excellent Experience. Simple and Responsive

This was the first time I have used the Medibank Travel Insurance.
I had a hire car issue overseas and needed to make a claim.
Very impressed by the simplicity of the Online Claim Portal. Equally impressed by the very prompt and positive response in settlement of the claim

Type of ClaimCar/Rental Hire Excess
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Margie C

Margie CSouth East Queensland, QLD

So much for brand loyalty

We agree with Stephen's comments published last year.
We have been with Medibank Private for 39 years. We used Medibank Travel Insurance out of loyalty on a number of occasions. The true value of a company is only realised when you need to make a claim. What a wake up!
Took 12 weeks to finalise a straightforward claim. Communication is poor and the constant-will get back to you in 10 days- only adds to the processing time at each step of the claims process. Very Disappointing.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateMay 2019

Hi Margie,
I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve experienced with submitting your travel claim. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.
Thanks, Anna

Chris

ChrisGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Absolute joke - should have saved my money

Missed connecting international flight due to fog. Spoke with 2 x consultants at the time to find out what I was covered. One advised that I would only be covered an amount of $250 which was the same as my excess, essentially meaning I wasn't covered at all. This did not make any sense to me and I requested to speak to a 2nd consultant who stated that I would be covered as the flight being cancelled was out of my control. Based on that information, I organised for an alternate flight.
Received letter stating that flight was only covered for a certain amount ($250). I am now over $2000 out of pocket due to this misinformation.

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Claim DateApril 2019

winglessMelbourne

Ask what is not cover when airline schedules are changed

A recent domestic travel insurance was taken with a travel firm. Private arrangements where made for air travel back to our home town after the holiday {made well in advance and covered in the insured time} allowing us to arrive home on a set date with connecting flights. On two separate occasions due to flight rescheduling we had to pay for a extra nights accommodation to connect returning flights home and also our holiday was reduce by one day.
Our claim for a night's accommodation and days loss of the holiday was rejected as its is an airline's responsibility and flights rescheduling are only cover under certain conditions Ask the airlines and see what they say??

Insurance claim madeYes
wingless

Hi Anna where did you send the message and your relation to the site

So glad I bought Medibank travel insurance!

First time I’ve bought travel insurance with Medibank. Must say I’m a very happy customer. Due to an injury sustained at F45 (CrossFit), I had to cancel my entire trip to Africa 3 weeks before departure. I submitted a claim online and got paid out in full (minus excess) within 5 working days. No questions asked. Was so grateful I didn’t have to stress about the money “lost” whilst on crutches and preparing for surgery. Thank you Medibank!!

Insurance claim madeYes