Nissan X-Trail T31

Nissan X-Trail T31 (2008-2013)

Still the best SUV for a family but still offroad

We have had 2 of these models. One was in an accident and was written off, but we knew exactly this was the type of vehicle we wanted. It still has a rugged-enough frame and engine to do some offroading, but economical and small enough to be in the city.

It's 4cyl engine doesn't let it be a towing vehicle for much, but it's still the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Purchased in March 2019 at Townsville 4wd Centre for $13,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Gear Shifting

lagging/dying?

I have a 2013 Nissan XTrail 4X4 Petrol with a dreadful lag/die/flat spot on take off. I try to accelerate to take off and it dies under me, sometimes for 2 to 5 seconds then picks up again - my trusty Nissan dealer says after many many visits - its normal - any ideas or shared experiences on this one?

BadgeTi
Date PurchasedAug 2013
Drive4WD

Runs like a dream.

Bought a T31 nissan xtrail 2012 from a dealer in Tasmania. It had 70k on the clock. It was the rop model of that year, a TL auto diesel. Runs like a dream. Have put 12000 klms on it since purchase. No problems. Good on long hauls. Does as low as 7ltrs per 100klms after extended driving. Air con is icey cold. Some turbo lag initially at low speed. On highway overtaking is strong. Services at nissan are around $280 so far. Very pleased with this second hand car.

Purchased in October 2018 for $20.00.

BoughtUsed
Gear Shifting
Comfort

Practical, but a few quirks.

After much deliberation between a multitude of similar SUV's such as the Ford Kuga, Mazda CX-5, Mitsubishi Outlander, and Subaru Forester, I ultimately chose the Nissan X-Trail based on its overall reliability record, fuel consumption and value for money. So far, it has delivered on all accounts. I have not had any problems with the car to date, and I don't expect any as well. These cars have quite simple, yet reliable drive components that ensure you won't be going back to the workshop that often. Fuel economy wise, my 2.5L CVT uses 9.3L/100KM, which is quite impressive in my opinion, considering the size and aerodynamics of the car, and the mixed city/highway driving I do. In terms of value for money, the car is quite cost-efficient with servicing even through the dealerships. Also, the connectivity in the car is quite good, with Bluetooth handsfree calling and Bluetooth streaming, auxiliary port, and USB jack for both charging and music.

I do have some grips about the car though. Firstly, the CVT takes quite a bit of getting used to, including accepting its many annoyances. The throttle mapping of the car is also quite weird; where at 1500rpms or so, the revs will just drop and a momentary loss of power follows. Note that this only occurs when the car is cold. Once at normal operating temperature, this does not happen. I have spoken to other owners who have experienced the same. The boot floor is plastic, which makes cleaning a breeze, however, without a carpet liner or rubber mat cover, your shopping will roll around like crazy at every turn. The LCD display is also suspect to a lot of glare in daytime driving, making what's on the screen hard to see.

Despite this, the car has been very good, and would easily suit the city suburbs or a country lifestyle, and would make a great family car.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

160000 & no major problems!

I am retired, tow a small caravan. Have numerous trips from Qld to SA & in between. After a series of short runs the dpf partially blocked, cleared by my service person who advised using a dpf cleaner. Since I have been using a dpf cleaner, I have not had any further problems.

Date PurchasedFeb 2009

OK vehicle, but issues with Air con and sound system

I purchased this vehicle new. It got some getting used to after driving a performance car. Having totally changed my driving habits, I've now become used to it, including the built in 'lag' on take off. It is comfortable and spacious. Road noise for an SUV is acceptable. I've had good kilometers out of the original tyres and brakes, probably due to my more sedate way of driving.
Services don't seem to be too expensive, around the $300 mark, using my mechanic.

However, I have had some niggling experiences.
* The front passenger door has never closed on the first go. Something that they repaired in warranty but continued.
* The AM/FM radio is totally useless. Worst I've ever had in a car. Nissan could never rectify it.
* The Bluetooth connection to my phone is incredibly slow.
* As from a week ago, the AIR CON compressor has ceased to work. It appears to be a common problem according to sites I've visited. An independent quote for $1400! I am going to take this up with my Nissan dealer, but I'm not too hopeful. They aren't a good dealer to deal with. Attitude problems. The ACCC will be informed if not satisfied.

All in all these vehicles aren't too bad, but I probably won't buy another. I can get from Sydney to Melbourne (900k) on a tank and a bit, approximately 80 litres. I haven't done any serious 4x4 ing, but feel that it would get me to where I wanted to go.

UPDATE Aug 18: Air Con now fixed after going halves with Nissan dealer. $730 poorer, but at least it's working again.

UPDATE Apr 19: It's coming up to 12 months since a new air con compressor was installed, so far it's working fine.
STILL issues with the crappy sound system. AM is so crackly that I don't bother. I stream it through apps. This has been an issue since the day the car left the dealership.
If purchasing, turn on the AM/FM radio while you're driving. Also try and connect your bluetooth if you can. It takes up to 5 minutes to connect.
I still haven't changed the brake pads after 90k klms!
Good luck

Purchased in November 2013 for $26,000.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
BoughtNew

Affordable and reliable!

Had this car for about 5 years now, no issues with it at all except for the occasional tyre change. Runs on about 600km per tank. Very reliable and had no issues with it at all. Nice and has more legroom than the dualis I test drive a while back. Not as comfortable as the Nissan Murano, but for its price, definitely can’t complain. Plenty of space in the back to carry things around. Bluetooth compatibility so I can use my phone with it. Definitely would recommend.

Date PurchasedNov 2012

Oldie but a goodie

My mechanic said only buy a Japanese SUV and it seems to have paid off. Whilst it's not new it still drives very well and is mechanically sound. I really can't fault it. We drove a territory and a captiva and they really didn't compare. Nissan customer service so far seems really good.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Good, reliable but lacks power to get up hills.

No mechanical problems. Has been a very good, comfortable car. Easy to park. Heaps of space for a family of 4 and 2 dogs.

Only complaint is it lacks power up hills, however, I bought a standard. They all come with a sports power option, which helps, but I will make sure our next car has a bit more guts to tackle the hills.

Date PurchasedJul 2013

Very practical interior but rubbish to drive.

I have recently traded-in our X-Trail after ~5yrs of ownership and have always been in two minds about the car. It's incredibly practical and has done the job of transporting our young family of four and all our stuff admirably. The large boot with wipe down surface and drawers is great, seats are comfortable and the interior in general has taken the abuse of young kids and what feels like an entire sand pits worth of sand being deposited in it without any noticeable damage. It's basic by new car standards but has the "essentials" covered.

However it is just completely bereft of any sort of driving enjoyment.The CVT auto is just awful, it has this elastic feel to it where initial prodding of the accelerator seems to be slowly winding it up before eventually it starts to release and the engine and transmission drone under acceleration is not pleasant.
It also has a bizarre throttle mapping where at about 35km/h the revs just suddenly drop to around 1500RPM regardless of what you're right foot is doing.
The suspension is ok however it is quite noisy over bumps, you hear the car hitting bumps more than you feel it.

Reliability wise the car has been good, I don't know that I would describe it is as having a feeling of quality to it but it does feel reasonably sturdy. The only problems we had was very weak air-con which the mechanics said just needed re-gassing and the LCD display on the radio fading out and becoming unreadable once the temperature went above ~18C

Date PurchasedJan 2013

No drive or gears

No gears or no drive and well not go in gear,it's the first time it has happened and also i can feel a rattle under neath when I accelerate , I have to let it seat for awhile to have the car move 2metres just rolling back so please if there any cheaper way on knowing how to fix it or repair thank you

Date PurchasedApr 2010

Love it

Absolutely fantastic car, great to drive, we have owned it since 2012 and it hasn't missed a beat. We have had one service costing us more than $300 and thats a diesel car. Lots of boot room and good space in the front. Only problem is less room in the back seats for feet however with two young kids it works in our favour as we can reach them on long trips. Brilliant fuel consumption and its 4WD. Definitely recommend!

BadgeTi
Date PurchasedJan 2012

Diesel and love it

Great SUV and tows our caravan well. Hot Summer day over Great Dividing Range almost 4ton all up no problem.
Be mindful factory speedo out by 8-10%. Real economy around town 7.5ltr per 100km, Hwy can get down to 6.3. Towing van 1.4ton 9 which I still think is remarkable. Diesel 6 spd manual. Avoid models with VIN indicating French Cion built, lots of failures. Look for oil on engine side of air filter and intake. Filter takes 5seconds to remove. buy a 2013 with over 100k and no visable issues. If you know your left from your right service yourself. Serpentine belt and tensioner will do 200k.
2008 with 180k no issues however will have to look at alternatives as new Xtrail has smaller donk and won't be up it. I'm thinking MUX

Date PurchasedJan 2011

Ideal Family Deal

Opted for My first Nissan X-trail, was actually looking for size & space. But got the whole deal - comfortable seats and a lot of room space for the legs. For a 2.2l I found this car very economical especially with long distance driving. I actually travel from NSW to Victoria and was seemly surprised at how cost effective this option proved for me. Apart from getting used to the foot handbrake - I find it is a great family car. I have had it for 4 months now and couldn't be any happier.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Wish I'd bought something else.

A comfortable car to drive, however the air conditioner died at 50,000km and I was quoted $1750 to replace it. Nissan should have replaced it themselves but they said no. They also could not tell me what was wrong with it. The plastic panels on the interior of the car by the drivers left leg fell off when I was driving, it went under my feet. When it rains, rain bounces off the bonnet onto the windscreen as well as the normal rain pelting down, bad design. I will never buy Nissan again, cheaply made car.

BadgeST-L
Date PurchasedJun 2011

Large boot, easily cleaned, easy to fix.

Given that it's a diesel, it's obviously going to be louder than a petrol engine. As with most other diesels, it also suffers from turbo lag - as you have to wait for the turbo to spool up.

Inside, its pretty neat. We bought it because its easy to take care off; and can go through some fun soft off-road adventures without having to worry about it breaking such an expensive 4wd.

Best fun feature is the birds-eye view camera. I've gotten so use to it - it makes reverse parking and parallel parking a breeze.

In terms of running costs; it's best to get a K&N Air Filter when the stock is being replaced. This will make it easier to clean the filter - as it gets pretty dirty - pretty quickly - from the turbo blow back.

The Dunlops tires that came with the car wore out easily within 30000km. Replaced it with some Coopers Grand Touring tires..

Also I've found that it tends to average 8.9L/100km on regular roads; and 5.3L/100km on highways.

BadgeTL
Date PurchasedAug 2014

Ultra Reliable

Bought by sheer accident along the way to purchase the new VW Tiguan we had thoroughly researched. As we went past the dealership we decided we'd better see what Nissan offered, as we hadn't put a lot of work into researching the X Trail for some funny reason.

One of those decisions that really pays off!! The clincher at the time was the full sized spare, and the full plastic rear interior - neither of which VW could offer. Who on earth would want a carpeted rear loading area ... unless of course one lived in an inner capital city - in which case you'd be buying something like a Nissan Leaf - rather than an offroader- if you had any sense!!

Our dear X Trail has now travelled just shy of 210000KM and has spent exactly zero time out of service for any reason at all. Admittedly it is well cared for, with all Penrite fluids, K&N filter, Cooper tyres, and thorough home servicing. You could slaughter a beast in that plastic rear area and still clean it up quite nicely!! It's carried bales of hay, 20KG bags of stockfeeds, kids bikes, and hauled hefty trailers - even a jetski!! It's been scratched and dented, and backed into a largish wattle tree. Still comes up smiling!!

It really is the "go to" car of the three in our garage - I can rarely get the wife out of it, and it's close to overhauling our 20 year old Prado's mileage. Easy as pie to drive - in fact our 9 year old son has learned to drive on it this past 6 months or so. Mileage a very consistent 7.1-7.5L/100KM all style average.

If we weren't going all electric for our next vehicle purchase, now that the technology has matured to the extent that it's mainstream, we'd gladly consider another .... maybe Nissan will show some forethought and put out an EV version?!?! If we were to have the chance to do it all again, we wouldn't change a thing!!

Date PurchasedApr 2009

Mechanically Pathetic

Unrepairable style auto transmission collapsed at 80000k just out of warranty. Throwaway
Cost $7000
Air conditioner compressor bearings failed at 11500k. Throwaway
Cost $1850
A country car one owner 95% of kms on open road. 5% city driving.
Towing of trailer to tip occasionally.
A shocker of a car.
NEVER EVER AGAIN

BadgeTi Luxury
Date PurchasedJul 2012

Very Happy!

Really please with this purchase. One of the most comfortable cars I've ever had. Good seating positioning, easy to drive, excellent road handling. I particularly like the air conditioning settings. This is the first time i have had a car with an elevated driving position and i could never now revert back.

BadgeAdventure

Never Buy A Nissan Bad Quality Bad Service Plenty Of Rust ... Yes Rust

Extremely disappointed with car extremely disappointed with nissan extremely disappointed with sutherland nissan . Car problems included rust , interior moulding , faulty seedo cluster , leaking interior when it rains . Unbeliveable !!!! Beware before you end regretting it as well . Worse choice I ever made . Will never buy that brand again . To top it off both nissan and dealer very unhelpful and refusing to carry out warranty work

BadgeST-L