PayPal

PayPal Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for PayPal? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

20 questions from our users

Janne
Janneasked

These issues are systemic and need to be publicly aired.

Who is interested in sharing their story with third parties to incite effective action against PayPal's practices?

How many more businesses will have their income 'frozen' for months before ASIC takes action?

Artful Codger
Artful Codger

I obviously found it extremely frustrating while attempting to comply with everything pp requested but still received no satisfaction...and I've been using them for years ...loyalty means nothing...and they're happy to support scammers despite evidence provided by me.

TPT
TPT

Do you want A real answer... I and others have been at war with Ebay and Paypal for a LONG time. We made paypal get registered as a financial entity, rather than a free ranging and free loading entity with no accountability. I am the person who broke Ebays back, by providing their customer base with alternatives like Etsy etc., and Ebay lost 50% of their users almost overnight. I have no problems in dealing with Paypal. Janne, as far as your "Oh something ought to be done", people have been at WW3 with Paypal for a LONG time...

e.g.

Probably the easiest way to deal with them in Australia is via the Australian Financial Complaints Authority and add on a bill for your time.

www.afca.org.au

If they are legitmately in the wrong and have failed to respond THE FIRST TIME, it should not take a day or your time and 20 emails in a game of internet ping pong. If you contact them and give them a reasonable time to respond and they do not, or they respond with copy paste tripe that is useless or totally off topic, crunch them with a complaint, and bill Paypal for your time.

The Graphic P.
The Graphic P.asked

Same issues as everyone here. So who can we complain about their behaviour?

cockatoo
cockatoo

Suggest apra.gov.au if you're in Australia. Hopefully the regulators will do some regulating after being kicked in the a*se by the Banking Royal Commission.

Pete
Pete

You need to contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) info@afca.org.au

Also copy in
AUSTRALIA SQUARE NSW 1215
Toll Free No: 1800 073 263
Business: 1800 073 263
Email: auexecutiveescalations@paypal.com

Sending a copy of your letter to your federal MP regarding Paypal can also help, as Paypal hold a banking license.

Birdman
Birdman

Thanks Pete. I hope you don't mind if I re post your info to other complainants.

jerry v.
jerry v.asked

Hello,
Could you tell me what is wrong with my Visa Card details at PayPal ?

Rareman1
Rareman1

who would know except pay pal ?Best ask them

The Reviewer
The Reviewer

Since they don’t monitor this site why expect consumers to know?

Kaye27asked

Is anyone else having a problem transferring money from a properly linked bank account to their PayPay balance? Every time I follow the procedure via Wallet on the PayPal page I get a message: "This cannot be done at this time. Please try again later." 9 days now and counting.

Battle T.

Yes seems some Australian Banks have blacklisted them and they are not saying why.

t44maxirs
t44maxirs

spot on ,i got some refund money from a seller into my Pay Pal account but every time i try to transfer the money back into my commonwealth bank account or cards , i all way got the same reply from Pay Pal that's" your bank doesn't currently support instant transfer " for a week now .

Kaye27

I got sick of the run-around from PayPal and have closed both my accounts with them.

Jordyn
Jordynasked

If you have been ripped off by PayPal, if they have stolen your money, if they have taken your money from your bank account, if you have had no luck in recovering your stolen money please let me know as we are making a class action against PayPal

Really?

S14series2
S14series2

Email me mark__04@msn.com

They’re holding my money from a sale and will not release it even after providing a trackingh number showing delivery and a happy customer

Toon B.
Toon B.

I am also having this issue. I sold an item on ebay, the money transferred to PayPal, they took a 'service' percentage cut then banned my account. Now i can't take the funds out for a minimum of 180 days. There are also stories online of paypal retaining the money for themselves after the 6 month, 180 day period. How is this legal?

They are holding over $1500 of my money with no guarantee I will get it back. Their customer service is also none existent.

The buyer of the ebay item left positive feedback and full tracking was provided to paypal...

kwv42asked

As Paypal is hopeless especially when it comes to helping their own users, can you pay for items using Paypal without logging into your Paypal account? Thanks

AGRADEMECHANIC

No, I dont believe you can; they want FULL control to do what they like............. always better to pay via your credit card

Lucy
Lucyasked

To all those having issues with PayPal. File a complaint with AFCA. It is time-consuming, but each time I have made a legitimate complaint PayPal lost the case. The more people complain the better our chances are of getting improved service from Paypal. It’s probably too much to hope to get rid of them altogether...

AGRADEMECHANIC

Correct.............I persisted witha $110 claim where I was sent a faulty BMW part by a seller called baobeiyu2011
and not to be trusted under any circumstances.............After ESCALATING my claim about 10 times and contacting Paypal 30 times, they finally got sick of me and paid me $100 "out of their generosity"!!!!!!!

david
davidasked

how can i up my spending amount ? have plenty of funds in my acc david

Ronnie
Ronnie

I can't help you because I am closing my PayPal account. I wouldn't use PayPal at all they are not worth it. If I were you I would put your PayPal money into a non PayPal account for example MasterCard you won't regret it

Wojtek
Wojtekasked

In my view, both ebay and paypal are thieves and no government body cares about it; PEOPLE, stop using their services as I intend to do.
Wojtek M

Julian
Julian

The Australian branches of both eBay and PayPal are a disgrace and are aware they can get away with it because our regulators are toothless. They would never get away with the dodgy service provided here back in US.

cobber campbell
cobber campbellasked

To see the seller of my grater I got from Victoria a few days ago.It fell apart several times with first use,it ha sno brand or return address on it nothing at all.I paid for it with Pay Pal,so need to contact them you may have their address.Brian Sutton WA

Bribie Lady 1950
Bribie Lady 1950

Contact Pay Pal, they may be able to help you get a refund.

oilpond
oilpond

your an idiot right lady?

PHILLIP K.
PHILLIP K.asked

Never send money to anyone via their Paypal personal payment option - if you are scammed Paypal will do absolutely nothing to help you. I will never use Paypal again.

Jerry
Jerryasked

I have suspicions about buyer & have already paid for it on Paypal. Dispute has been elevated to claim by PayPal, & will take 3 or 4 weeks. Contacted Chase Bank who asked PayPal for refund. Sent e-mail to seller and E-bay to cancel as order is to be shipped tomorrow. Should I refuse delivery if is shipped?

george
george

its up you. what you want to do. nobody else can make the decision for you I don't understand why you ask the question here where you could be given the wrong information

steve

Check your rights under ACCC LAW and all your questions will be answered. PayPal must comply to ACCC LAW and any seller. ACCC out line your rights and once you notify PayPal your rights under ACCC law they must comply.

PayPal is rubbish just a middle man and middle man stalling and delaying tactics so they can try make money.

All banks do comply to ACCC Laws, so use a credit card or your debit master card :P and always check your statements on line soon after for a less hassle free internet purchases. :D

Matt Reid
Matt Reidasked

Hey I have a inquiry about a email I got sent today could you please tell me if it's a scam or if its real?

okay

Broke
Brokeasked

What to do when you received a T shirt and had a large crease in it before the stencil was applied? When the shirt is put on it looks like a piece of pie was cut from the stencil. I used PayPal.

mellovelofellowasked

1) Does anyone know how to contact PayPal other than through the computer?
2) Is there an address on can write a letter to?
3) Is Ebay contravening Australia's legislation in forcing us to only pay through PayPal and
4) Is there any consumer protection institute who can require that ebay lift this restriction?

brian

You can call them - I've done it before though, their call centres are overseas .
I've called them on more than one occasion though, can't remember the number - perhaps directory assistance could help

Some sellers only accept PayPal

mellovelofellow

Thanks. I have had an argument with ebay about it only accepting payment through PayPal. I was told by ebay customer services in Australia that it was a requirement by ebay that I can accept payment for a sale only through Paypal or if i had a merchant credit card. Merchant credit cards are expensive and for a one-off sale, not worth the cost.

KirinRulz
KirinRulzasked

Paypal.com.au
Is same as paypal.com???

James
James

Yes. paypal.com.au is simply the Australian link and if you are in Australia and type in paypal.com it will redirect you to paypal.com.au

Victoria Hatzis
Victoria Hatzisasked

A seller sends you wrong product, you open a case and submit relevant data then PayPal finds in your favour and says you have to return goods but you have to pay for shipping. The seller refunds your money but is not out of pocket (they have their items back) but you are out the shipping costs (one third of the price) and your time. Hmmm So how does it work? Does the innocent/not at fault buyer have to pay and the seller gets off free? Does that seem fair to anyone?
I don’t understand – why is the person found innocent made to pay/be out of pocket? I thought that PayPal was there to protect the rights of their non-guilty clients – why bother with PayPal and not just deal through our banks as they too have customer right rules for Charge Back?

Michael
Michael

Just experienced this, bought an item for $1,045, electric scooter, weighed at 130kg.
Shipping it over will cost me $590, however i get a refund after the scooter is sent. I do not understand how they see this as fair in anyway

steve

Use your Bank its much safer. If some thing go's wrong like under ACCC law you can get a charge back from your bank. Its easy too as your bank complies to ACCC law, all you do is fill out a transaction dispute form from your bank ( Via Email TOO ) and within 5 days it will be done. How ever keep all your receipts and records up to date. Your Bank have to comply to Australian Law and They are Australian and they do, unlike sellers that are overseas. On line sellers are still subject to ACCC law, even if they are overseas. PayPay and ebay are the same. File a complaint to the ACCC they do read it and act, as per their enforcement the ACCC has done to scamming on line sellers from China. They even have to fully refund your postage of the item.

nowweyellasked

has anyone noticed if you challenge paypal they appear to automatically closed your account when the questions get to hard to answer

vickie
vickie

yes I experienced this with an appeal against a decision in the sellers favour where they have refunded others on this site for the same thing. Reopened the appeal for 2 hours then closed it with same excuse...they didnt even look into any information I gave them which proved the seller was not dealing under consumer law

nowweyell

10+ years ago ebay CEO closed down thousands of small operators to try and combat crime and in the process hurt so many nice people , now years later its paypals turn to continue this crap.. Paypal makes up different excuses to terminate and all are really just that bull. its impossible to get a straight answer from them , once this is in progress its over for the small business ... from what I have noticed it normal starts about when one gets to have the amount of turnover up to $600 - 800 per week
its happened to me twice now . they say Ebay and Paypal are separate companies but they are joined at the hips and all info is still running between then
One other interesting position EBay states one can sell on without paypal , but thats a total lie if you not a corporation or similar in size its a controlled situation and the only reason they advertise that fact is they cant be seen to be a monopolized situation a good lawyer should get up a world wide law suit against them

brian

PayPal is sneaky company - it should be wiped from the face of the earth

hemanth.sindhanuru
hemanth.sindhanuruasked

How good is Paypal Send money - Goods and services. Are there any alternatives?

Jenster62
Jenster62

Unfortunately there is no alternative yet...but hopefully soon. I would pay by credit card before using PayPal
It's ok for sending small amounts but I would never receive payments of any large amounts.

Could try:

Google Wallet

PS With Ebay separating from Paypal, well there be better service???

good luck mate, Paypal will give you some reason and they will hold your cash for many months before you can see the cash Paypal has earn interest already

kiy
kiyasked

I have received an item that was not as advertised. Why does Paypal want me to pay for the return postage?

John
John

Hi Kim, Paypal make it look all good and fair with there so called $20,000 buyer protection, but it's there unfair rules or tough luck.
If you have major issues with the seller, EBay or PayPal contact your states consumer affairs via there websites as they might take a little while to get back to you, but they are great at getting results.......
Good luck regards john.

Laura
Laura

Contacting consumer affairs over anything related to paypal is like trying to push a truck up hill with flat tyres.
as they said to me "Paypal is a private company we can't do anything"

Other Money Transfer Services