Pickles Auctions Questions & Answers

66 questions from our users

Helenasked

Hi,
I bought a caravan from Pickles. When it was delivered the gas bottles were missing. They were in the auction photos. When I rang Pickles up they told me they are not allowed to sell gas bottles. They were specific gas bottles for the caravan so the special cover goes over them. I want the gas bottles returned.
Regards Helen

Hi Helen,

I'd like to look into this for you. Can you please provide me with a copy of your invoice and any additional details so I can follow this up with the branch.

You can email me at cx@pickles.com.au

Hi,
It is all sorted out. All good. Thanks

Hi Helen,

That's wonderful news, glad to hear it's been sorted.
We certainly hope to be able to provide you with a smoother, trouble-free experience next time.

All the best, Pickles Cx

Dnk

Dnkasked

Bought a bike from pickles in Melbourne, done a ppsr and it states it still has money owing on it. It’s been 10 days since the contract was settled. Also being the first time buyer, I’m not sure where I stand. Do they have x amount of time to pay or it’s up to me?

vik
vik

I would say you should contact them, as they can play very smart, without you fully understanding the auction terms, it can be laid upon you, but give them call they should preety much tell whats on with it.

Hi Dnk,

Please provide as much detail about the asset and transaction as possible, a copy of your invoice will suffice.
You can email me at cx@pickles.com.au and I will look into this for you.

Hi Dnk,

Thanks for providing the information I needed.

As per our email conversation, the vendor did not make us aware that there was an encumbrance on the asset at time of listing for Auction (which is their obligation), subsequently, they have rectified this. Therefore I can advise that there is clear title on this asset.

We do apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and can advise that we reinforced with this Vendor their obligations under the terms and conditions of sale.

Kind regards, Pickles Cx

Melbrevasked

What are your daily storage fees for cars that are being auctioned?

Rick
Rick

No idea bro

Hi Melbrev,

Apologies for the late reply.

In response to your question: There are no applicable storage fees for assets (cars) that are being auctioned.

Storage fees are only applicable once an asset (car) is sold (purchased) and has not been collected within the required time-frame.

If you bid and win an asset at auction then you will pay a deposit on the spot. The balance of payment is then due within 24 hours.
Once the balance of payment is received you will then have 2 days (48 hours) to arrange for collection of the asset.

If the asset is not collected within that 24 hour period then a daily storage fee becomes applicable.
That fee is charged at $66.00 per day.

I hope that answer was helpful. If you'd like to know more then you can visit the FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) section of our website, located at https://www.pickles.com.au/about/frequently-asked-questions

Kind regards, Pickles Cx

Melbrev

I had my car repossed and sent to pickles for auction, it never sold, so I've paid the overdue and am picking it up. I was told I'd have to pay for storage costs plus gst if they are applicable. So there are no storage fees?

Rortedasked

Can the online bidding page (velocast) be altered to full screen? I have a toshiba laptop running windows 8.1. the entire site is confined to the left half of my screen, the auction list and current item panes are small and the sound toggle doesnt move, no audio? cant adjust anything on this page?

Hi Rorted,

I have spoken with our IT Support Team and they are more than happy to assist by providing you with information to help you with these issues.

You can contact them directly on 1800 005 366
The operate Mon-Fri between 7.30am and 6.30pm.

All the best,
Pickles Cx

Rorted

Thanks, hopefully just a setting, the view is very limited as it is.

Anthony F.asked

I accidentally bid on a car and won just this morning, never done an online aution before and thought i could put in my amount i wanted to bid but when i pushed the button it just bid the next number and i won the item, i didnt want the car, was just seeing how it works, what happens now? this is in belmore nsw as i type, there is another car im interested in, im stressing now, HELP

Hi Anthony,

Please contact the branch immediately, it will be at their discretion how to proceed. Belmore number is (02) 9704 6669.

FYI...by participating in the auction (bidding), whether by accident or not, you have entered an agreement to purchase under the terms & condition of participation. Therefore if you cancel the sale you may be subject to a forfeit of any deposit made.

By bidding and winning the asset you have prevented other potential purchasers from winning that asset. The asset would now need to be re-lotted for another auction, incurring additional admin and processing costs and time delays for the Vendor.

Anthony F.

We have been ringing now many times since yesterday morning and keep getting told they would call us back but they dont..today they said they would call back again but they didn't...I understand the agreement but it was a genuine mistake and also understand I can be up for fees but ignoring us with so many attempts to speak with someone is just making us stress even more

Hi Anthony,

Can you please email me at cx@pickles.com.au with your contact details and any relevant information about the sale, (including details of who you have spoken to at the branch) and I will follow up for you.

regards, Pickles Cx

Joe K.

Joe K.asked

what sort of price does a written off
water damaged toyota prado fetch on esalvage

Hi Joe,

It's difficult to put a price on it as there are so many variables, age, mileage, condition, nature of water damage etc... it also depends heavily on the buyers in the room and online on the day.

Best advise I can offer is to contact your nearest Pickles Salvage Yard and have them provide you with an estimate of what it could potentially reach at auction.

Sorry I couldn't provide you with a definitive answer.

Mojasked

Hi, If I purchase a car in your Auction and then change my mind. How much should I pay as the cancellation fee?

Hi Moj,

If you are participating in an auction you have (by default) agreed to the Pickles Terms and Conditions of participation.

Part of these terms and conditions state that if you are successful in winning a lot at the auction you are committed to purchasing that asset. To not proceed with the purchase is a breach of these T&C's and you would forfeit any deposit paid.

By bidding and winning the asset you have prevented other buyers from successfully securing that asset. By not proceeding with the sale the asset then needs to be re-lotted for another auction which equates to time delays for the vendor (asset owner) and additional costs incurred to reprocess the asset for auction.

I hope that explanation helps.

Moj

Thanks for your answer. but if I haven't paid any deposit then do i need to deal with the branch or is a fix price to pay ?

Hi again Moj,

Apologies for the late reply to your last post.

Yes, please contact the branch, they will advise what the procedure would be and advise if any costs would apply and what they would be.

johnasked

How is it that a car from the damaged auctions sell 4 times in a matter of 3 months in 1 state then appears for auction again in another state.?

Hi Jeff,

Not sure about the specific asset you are referring to, but it may be simply that it appeared in multiple auctions but did not necessarily sell. What can sometimes happen is an asset may not reach the Vendors reserve price (if one is applicable). The Vendor may then decide to re-lot the asset at another (or multiple) auctions.

Don't know why it may have appeared at an Auction in another branch (State) however. Would need to know what the asset lot number to check the sale history. Again it could simply be that the asset did sell at one auction, the buyer shipped it interstate and then resold the asset, unusual but can happen.

Hope that helps. Pickles Cx

john

It sold 4 times i know when there is a reserve, i go or watch every salvage auction weekly. Not only this specific car, it happens all the time, more times in Adelaide, i have bid via online lots of times only to be out bid and vehicle sold, the turns up in a later auction.

Hi again John,

Ok, so it sounds like exactly what I mentioned above.

Please note, unless specified 'Unreserved' all assets will have a reserve price set.

When bidding online the message you get if unsuccessful is 'This asset was sold to a higher bidder'. In reality, this simply means you were outbid and at the close of the lot, someone else had the highest bid.

This does not mean the asset was in fact won by that bidder.

If the asset reached or exceeded the reserve then the highest bidder would have won the asset. If not then the highest bid would have been referred to the Vendor (asset owner). The Vendor then decides to a) accept the highest bid, b) decline the highest bid or c) negotiate a mutually acceptable price with the highest bidder. In options b) and c) the asset may well be lotted again (hence appearing in auction multiple times).

On occassion, some bidders renege on their commitment to purchase, and although this is not common, it does happen and this means the asset needs to be re-lotted.

I guess it's fair to say that there is absolutely no reason, or benefit to us re-lotting the same asset again and again. Our business is based on connecting sellers and buyers through the successful sale of an asset. It makes no business sense or advantage to keep re-lotting the same asset.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Pickles CX

Paul C.asked

Hello, I bought a 4WD Pickles Fixed price in the NT a month or so ago. Despite the report saying it had two keys (and replacements are about $500) it after sale only had one. I subsequently got a "survey" from them asking how they'd done. I pointed out the problems and got no response. I have had a look on their website to see if their is a complaint email address. Of course nothing. These guys sell Government cars too. Is this the service that Government wants when it sells its car to the public? How do I find out their complaint email? I need to at least do that before I go to Consumer Affairs if they won't fix the matter.

Michael
Michael

Try sending your email to the relevant manager of the auction list you purchased your car from - that if who I was emailing. You can find these email addresses on their website. Just be aware that your claim may be due to negligence ie failed duty of care as the law may be different with regards to misleading and deceptive conduct for cars sold at auction.

Paul C.

Hi Thanks. I have gone that far without success. I wanted to escalate it internally first to someone who will see sense rather than blindly follow policy and rely on an exclusion clause. Whilst clauses that absolve themselves from responsibility for information on their website about a car might have relevance in certain circumstances (e.g. previous use history, defects etc), a statement as to how many keys a car has is a simple statement of fact that is within their knowledge. They will go down in a screaming heap in a tribunal. Just need it to go to someone in the organisation who understands that.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting your question, and apologies for the late reply.

Please send me as much detail as you can to the below email address. Please provide: asset purchased, branch, invoice if you have it, and any other rlevenat information.

Also, please advise what action you have taken to date, i.e. did you immediately contact the branch, if so, who did you speak to and what was the response?

Send the information to cx@pickles.com.au and I will follow this up for you.

Adnaan J.asked

Hi, I received an instant offer to buy my vehicle and the RedBook assessor was out to go over the car. I was told I would be contacted within 24hours. That was Saturday past, 23/03/2019, I have yet to hear from someone at Pickles. Reading all these reviews from the last 2 years, I have little confidence in this group now.

Hi Adnaan,

Apologies for the late reply.

Can you provide me with a little more detail so I can try to follow this up for you.
I would need your full name and the car rego. You can email this info to me at cx@pickles.com.au

Adnaan J.

Hi, it's okay. I've been contacted last week and currently in the process of finalizing the deal. Thank you.

Luke M.

Luke M.asked

How do I see past auction results?

Hi Luke,

So very sorry for the very late reply to your question, for some reason I missed it, but hope it's not too late to provide you some insight.

Basically, the results can't be seen post auction as we don't publish them. The best option is to watch the Auction live online if you're remote, this way you will see the bids as they appear.

Hope that helps.

All the best, Pickles Cx

Alan

Alanasked

Hello,
I locate in QLD, Gold Coast and I want buy written off car from auction in Tullamarine (VIC) ONLINE. How it is possible to transport car to Gold Coast to me? I will not be able to come to Tullamarine.
Thank you!

Hi Alan,

Transport can certainly be arranged. Simply contact Tullamarine branch on 03 9338 8899 to discuss options and costs.

jessiepaenga
jessiepaenga

Never buy a car unseen even if you have seen pictures.

Dinuban G.

Dinuban G.asked

If I buy a Car and found out it has problems such as in the engine etc which was not mentioned in your vehicle condition report would you'll accept the repair cost or would you'll refund ?? Since I saw many negative comments about pickles.

Hi Dinuban G,

Thanks for your question.

The first thing to understand is that we are an asset remarketing company, not a motor vehicle dealership.

What that means is, we sell assets (cars, trucks vans etc...) on behalf of our Vendors (the owner of the asset), for the most part, we do not own these assets. Our service is based on providing an avenue for someone who has a car to sell (Fleet, Lease, Finance and Insurance companies, Manufacturers, Private owners etc...), to connect with 1000's of buyers. We facilitate this sale process by way of Auction, Fixed Price sales, Tenders etc...

We don't repair, recondition or modify the assets we sell, they are sold in the condition they arrive to us in (save a detailing). We do not undertake mechanical inspections of these assets unless requested to by the vendor, or a potential buyer. This can be done at the requester's expense.

Our condition reports detail any physical external damage [paint damage, dents, scratches and marks, as well as tyre condition]. We do not undertake mechanical inspections, therefore, no detail about the mechanical condition will be listed, as it is unknown by us.

We strongly encourage all buyers to physically inspect any asset they are interested in prior to bidding/purchasing. We make all cars available for inspection at our yards. We also provide you with log books and service history (where applicable) as this can help you understand whether the asset has been maintained and serviced regularly.

Although we are unable to offer test-drives (we are not insured for this as we don't own the assets), we do allow buyers to turn the car on and start the engine, this allows you to check the running of the engine, review warning lights and check electrics, etc... We also encourage buyers to engage their own mechanic to do onsite mechanical inspections.

At the end of the day, the onus is on the buyer to do their due diligence! That means to ensure the asset is of a quality and condition you are prepared to accept, prior to participating in an auction or buying outright (Fixed Price).

Assets sold at AUCTION do not come with a warranty. In some cases (where applicable), the balance of a manufacturers warranty may be transferable, however, you would need to check this with the respective branch.

Assets sold at PicklesGO (Fixed Price) come with a statutory 3-month warranty. Additional extended warranty may also be purchased at the buyer's discretion on assets where additionally warranty is applicable. Again, in some cases the balance of a manufacturers warranty may also be transferable.

We are very fortunate that most assets we sell are from reputable businesses/companies that maintain a regimented service program for their cars and are typically well maintained with good service history. But you always need to consider that these are all used assets (cars) and they will have been driven and cared for only as well as the previous driver/owner. We cannot know and identify any issues (mechanical or other) that are not brought to our attention by the Vendor. So again, your diligence in ensuring what you are bidding on/ buying is of a quality and condition you are happy with is paramount.

My recommendation, if you are a first-time buyer, is to try our PicklesGO offering, this is where you can buy an asset at a Fixed (non-negotiable) price, that is usually well below market price. You'll get to see 100's of cars, inspect them, talk to a salesperson if required (they won't hound you) and discuss finance, warranty and purchase options.

In regards to reviews (particularly on this forum), unfortunately, it is human nature to shout louder about the negative rather than the positive, this forum is a great place for people to vent. I can tell you that we survey all buyers every week and from the 1000's of responses I have to date, the vast majority are overwhelmingly positive. We literally have thousands of happy customers who buy from us again and again, and they refer us to their family and friends as well.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but it's not easy to convey this all in a simple one or two lines. I do hope that this has been helpful.

Awni A.

Awni A.asked

I bought a car from Adelaide. Transported to Tasmania by picked 12days a go I don't need the car any more can I return the car to pickles in Hobart and what is the financial loss since I registered the car in Tasmania

Hi Awni A,

Thanks for the question.

I'm afraid the asset (car) is not returnable/refundable, as all sales are final. Furthermore, the Vendor (asset owner) will have been paid for the asset and the funds will not be recoverable.

What I can suggest is that perhaps we can assist by reselling the asset for you. We can do this by re-lotting the car for auction [all normal Vendor fees and charges would apply].

Transportation costs and registration fees could be incorporated into your Reserve Price, but there is no guarantee that they will be recovered as the final sale price will depend on the highest bid received on the day of auction.

Please contact the branch to discuss this further. Hobart branch can be contacted at (03) 6108 8444.

Mark

Markasked

What are viewing times for auctions at Bennets Green?

Anthony Braun

Anthony Braunasked

Hi Pickles
I am looking to buy a cheap doer-upper car at auction.
My concern is that your fees appear to be so high that they would actually exceed the $500 cap that i am budgeting for.
Is it true that if i were to buy a $500 car online, would it cost me
- $27.50 for the 5.5% buyers premium, plus
- $499.50 for the fee, plus
- $60.50 admin fee,
Totalling $615 extra costs for a $500 car?
Perhaps i am mistaken.
Please advise.
Kind regards
Anthony

sam

samasked

HI there,

"Plates to dealers: Sold as an unregistered vehicle to the public, licensed Dealers receive plates". What should i do if i buy this car and need to register in my name. As I am not a dealer what are the process in this case.

DO i need to get pink?
or
Do i need to just transfer the ownership?
or Anyhitng?

thanks

Hakimi

Hakimiasked

Hi im selling my repairable write off car and how do i transfer the car to the customer?

noor
noor

Hi, Hakimi where is your car? thanks

Lee

Leeasked

Hi mistakenly bid on lot 705, stock 26102387
as it’s in WA and not a 4x4, how can I cancel my bid prior to the auction closing in 2 days.
I’ve tried calling the branch, sent email but since it’s a Saturday I’m concerned I may win the auction. Lee

Singh

Singhasked

I bought a truck from pickles Altona branch online bidding accordingly their description but now I found engine number is completely different when I been to roadworthy I contact them but they said we can change invoice but that’s not the solution because I laid accordingly their description online
Can plz suggest what I can do in this situation??

Richo
Richo

Like any business you deal with... If you feel you been mislead and you've tried to work it out with the business themselves and the soultion isn't satisfactory; take it up with Consumer Affairs.

Get an answer from our members and Pickles Auctions representatives