Pickles Auctions Questions & Answers

83 questions from our users

J Crawford

J Crawfordasked

My daughter had her vehicle sold by Pickles at Tamworth on the 2nd July only to be advised a week later the buyer had freighted it to Sydney but had pulled out of the sale because of a mechanical issue.
She was told the sale had been withdrawn and she was now being charged for the costs of the buyer transporting the vehicle to Sydney and return.
Now she has been notified she has an accrued fee of $924 with an additional storage fee of $66 each day it remains in the Pickles yard which they have told her they would waive if she picked the vehicle up by 18th August.
What part of the terms and conditions am I missing? I understand if I buy it’s on an ‘as is, where is’ basis with no guarantee or warranty.
Why is my daughter being bullied with these stand over tactics?

Paulasked

Why do you keep moving the auction date forward? Frustrated spending so much time to find items, making time to be online to bid only to find out the auction time has been changed.

Chad C.

Chad C.asked

I bet on a car by mistake and I won the bet how to cancel that

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the question.

Under the terms and conditions of participation at auction(s) all sales are final and there is no ability to cancel a sale. If you do not proceed with the sale then you stand to forfeit any deposit paid and are likely to be banned from participating at any future auctions.

Did you contact the branch immediately, and if so, what was their response?

Please email me your response (along with a copy of your invoice) directly to cx@pickles.com.au and I will review this for you.

Mayurasked

Hi CX,
What if I buy fixed price car from PicklesGO and then it doesn’t pass the roadworthy inspection for interstate car registration?

Hi Mayur,

Thanks for the question.

All PicklesGO cars come with a Roadworthy Inspection certification for the State in which they are sold. i.e. a car sold at PicklesGO in NSW will have Roadworthy for NSW, not any other state.

Each state has it's own criteria for Roadworthy Certification and there is no such thing as a National Certification.

Hope that helps,
Regards Pickles Cx

Mayur

My question is what if it doesn't pass the Roadworthy Certification for that other state?

Hi Mayur,

Apologies my original response wasn't clear.

You would need to determine the issue that has caused it to be declined for Roadworthy and then rectify it so that it is compliant.

Roadworthy certificates provided will only be compliant with the State in which the asset was sold (not any other State or Country).

Hope that helps.

Heshan B.asked

I have won a hail damaged car on live auction 3 days ago, still I haven't got any confirmation email or anything

Hi Heshan,

Has the branch taken your deposit as yet, or have they provided you an invoice to pay the balance?

You can post your response here or email me directly at cx@pickles.com.au.

Heshan B.

Haven't got any email about it, no either invoice to pay. No deposit taken either.

Hi Heshan,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on what you're saying I would think it is likely the asset was not sold.

Did you hear the Auctioneer say 'Sold' (did you see 'SOLD' on your screen at time of bidding)?
Or did he/she say the asset was 'Referred' or 'Passed In'?

It is possible that although you may have been the highest bidder you may not have won the car as your bid did not meet the Vendors Reserve price.

If you can provide me with details of the car I can check for you. Simply email the information to me at cx@pickles.com.au and I will look into it.

Ali Q

Ali Qasked

I have done bidding by mistake on a statutory writtenoff car
Its still 24 hours left since bidding will be closed at 3 o clock Friday 22nd may 2029
I have called pickles canberra and they have refused to remove my bid
At the moment I am feeling helpless
There should be a good customer service
Its not the Australian way to behave to a customer in a way that he is trapped by bidding
Stock# 6186203
Lot #355
Mercedes C300
My buyer # 1079168
Please get me out of this trouble
aqasim938@yahoo.com.au

Hi Ali,

Apologies for the late response.

Under the terms and conditions of participation at auction(s) all bids are accepted as legitimate and cannot usually be rescinded. Furthermore, all sales are final and there is no ability to cancel a sale.

Can you advise if you actually won this asset and what the outcome has been?
Please email your response, along with a copy of your invoice Iif applicable) directly to me at cx@pickles.com.au and I will review this for you.

Denise Masked

Hello
Previous posters mention a ‘7 day buy back offer’. Have looked at FAQ’s on your site & can’t find any mention of this. Does it still operate? Is it for cars bought at Auction? What are the terms & conditions associated with this? Can you send me links to these areas. Have found getting to talk on phone to someone at Pickles Sydney not easy, calls not returned but understand everyone is busy tho. Thanks GD

David
David

The 7 day buy back is only for the fixed price cars. That is why their price is high. The auctions are you get what you get. But you need to be careful as you can usually get a similar car from a car dealer for much the same price. Occasionally a bargain auctions cheap but you have to be on the ball to get it. For the average Joe best just scour carsales.com and you will get a better deal with warranty from a dealer or a good private sale that you can get checked out by a mechanic before you buy. Hope that helps.

Denise M

Thanks David, much appreciated.

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your enquiry.

David is at least correct about the 7 Day Buy Back Offer only being available through our PicklesGO service (Fixed Price). However this offer is not applicable to all PicklesGO cars, it depends on the vendor and the best suggestion is to ask our staff about whether a specific asset you are interested in has this offer.

For more details on the 7 Day Buy Back offer please refer to this link on our website: https://www.pickles.com.au/about/Terms-And-Conditions/7-day-Buy-Back-Offer

FYI, we survey our customers regularly (weekly in fact) and of the thousands of responses we receive the most common and frequent comment(s) we get for why they liked their PicklesGO buying experience was 'Ease or Easy' and 'Value'.

I do apologise that you have found it difficult to make contact with our branch, we are normally quite busy and especially so during these times, but we should be at least responding to your messages. Keep trying and I would expect you will make contact.

All the best, Pickles Cx

Jeff L.asked

Why has pickles got a rule if you buy a salvaged vehicle or boat it must be removed by a tow truck
operator seems to me some one is getting a back hander I thought once you paid for it , it became
your property and it's not up to them to tell you that you carn't remove it unless it's by a tow truck if
you can remove it yourself you should not be forced to pay through nose for tow truck

Hi Jeff,

It is our legal obligation/responsibility (and our duty of care) that we ensure Salvage assets (which by nature are not roadworthy) are not removed from our premises in a way that is not compliant with legislation or State Law.

Hope that explanation provides some clarity around the question you have raised.

Jeff L.

well I think pickles is over stepping the mark according to fair tradeing you ca remove the vehicle providing
you have proof where it came from in case the police pull you up , and permit if unreg I think pickles are
looking after the salvage operators

Hi Jeff,

This process is in place primarily to protect you and the general public from any damage, injury or death caused by the operation of a vehicle (or other) that is deemed not legally roadworthy. It is our Duty-of-Care.

There is no conspiracy between us, Salvage Operators, Tow Truck Drivers, etc...

William B.

William B.asked

Hi do you guys ship from NSW Dubbo to Victoria Bendigo? Specifically a PC that is on your site?

ALex

ALexasked

Commission-generating fake auction

Not good at all Rubbi.. is the wright world to use.

I win a bid and they said to me you did not meet the reserve price (scammers).

Auction is a bending a agreement if I win I must buy I could not walk a way and they must handle it in the same way.

I lodge a complain and if I take it to court, I will do.

Hi ALex,

Not sure what constitutes a 'fake auction' but we operate 'real' and 'genuine' auctions every day (save Sundays).

FYI...Reserve prices at auction are commonplace. I suggest perhaps you simply Google search "Auction Reserve" to find out more.

Most sales contracts are by definition 'non-flexible' and binding. Auction contracts tend to have no cooling-off period or allow for 'buyers remorse'.

Not sure if you have raised your complaint with us, but if you like, I'd be happy to investigate your issue to save you time, effort and cost in legal proceedings at this time. Please email any relevant details to cx@pickles.com.au and I will look into your situation.

Got M.

Got M.asked

I would like bidlive auction

Hi Got M.

Apologies for the late reply, as you can imagine things are little topsy-turvey at the moment.

I do hope you manage to register for one of our Auctions, whether Pickles Online or PicklesLive. You can find details about how to register at the below.

Clive R

Clive Rasked

A friend of mine is purchasing a car off the lot .Told by the sales person bank cheque must be made out to cash and not Pickles .Is this correct

Hello Clive,

Thanks for the question, the answer to which is a definitive NO!

All cheques should be made out to either 'Pickles' or Pickles Auctions'.
Under no circumstances should our staff be requesting cheques be made out to 'Cash' (for obvious reasons).

I would like to investigate this further and would respectfully ask if you could advise which branch this was at and the name of the staff member who requested this or their dept/position/title (if known)?

You can advise by responding here, or email me at cx@pickles.com.au

Thanks in advance, Pickles Cx

reza a.
reza a.

I wish you could investigate on all these complaints we read here

They are.

In this case (and not uncommon to many others) there was no response to my request for further information.

Carolyn T.

Carolyn T.asked

Can I privately auction for a car weekly

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the question. However, I can't quite determine what it is you are asking, and perhaps you could expand on this to a better understanding so that I can answer your question more effectively. You can either respond on this forum or perhaps just email me directly at cx@pickles.com.au and I'll see how I can help.

dofffed

dofffedasked

Hi pickles Cx, i think what Jonas from
Sydney, NSW meant when he wrote his review (Sad.. Wouldn't trust. Rewinded mileage) and at the end said (Not to mention their own secret bidder...) was that you jack up the bids yourselves...
Fairly sure thats what he is getting at

Hi Dofffed,

Thanks for your interpretation.

My response was to simply highlight the possibilities of what he/she has likely experienced, as what you are suggesting (false bidding) is certainly a practice that we at Pickles do not engage in, not only because it's unethical and completely illegal, it simply does not make good business sense.

Practically speaking, It just doesn't make sense to false bid as there is no advantage for anyone simply because there is every likelihood that the (false) bid may win the asset. That means, No Sale (buyers don't get the asset they want, the vendor does not realise the value of their asset, auctioneer gets no commission for the sale, the auctioneer has to absorb the costs or re-lotting and remarketing the asset) all in all, not a sensible outcome for anyone.

There are many reasons why a bidder may not have noticed another bid being placed (more than I can easily list here) but suffice to say it is always a legitimate bid that is being recognised by our auctioneers and one that may not always be obvious to all in the room.

I again refer to Absentee bids, Vendor bids, online bids, dealer onsite bids, etc... We also have regular buyers who make a point of not making their bids obvious as they prefer competitors not knowing what assets they are interested in. Always our auctioneers are acting with honesty and integrity, these are pillars of our company Values.

I hope that provides a little more understanding and once again, thanks for your perception of things.

Danny

Dannyasked

I paid a deposit and I have changed my mind of purchasing what happens

Hi Danny,

There is no cooling-off period or Buyers remorse for assets sold at auction. Assuming you have participated at a Pickles Live or Online auction then you will have entered into an agreement by which you are obligated to proceed with the purchase (you would have had to agree to the Terms and Conditions of participation). By not proceeding with the purchase you are in breach of the Terms and Conditions of participation for which you would have agreed to abide by.

If you have participated and have won an asset at auction, then you have prevented other genuine buyers from purchasing that asset. Failure to proceed with the purchase will result in the forfeit of any and all deposits paid or you will be liable for any loss of revenue or costs incurred for re-lotting and re-marketing the asset plus any compensation to the Vendor for the loss of sale.

Furthermore, at the discretion of the branch responsible for the auction, you may find that your details will be recorded in a 'Banned Buyer' listing, which means you would be banned from participating any future Pickles auctions indefinitely.

In all cases, you should immediately contact the selling branch to advise of your decision to not proceed with the purchase.

I hope that answers your question.

Brad B.
Brad B.

Double standards here I have won and paid for items only to be told we don't have them we will refund your money not only once but twice.

Ian S.

Ian S.asked

If a specific vehicle at auction does not reach the reserve price and is referred, can another party (i.e., other than the party which made the highest bid prior to that bid being referred to the vendor) lodge a higher bid for the vehicle and, if so, to whom should the higher bid be sent?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the (very good) question. The simple answer would be no.

Please understand that my response is based only on Pickles auctioning processes and does not reflect the practices of other auction companies.

In essence, once bidding is complete (referred to as the hammer fall, and not to be confused with a published end time) only the highest bid (buyer) at that time can be accepted (regardless of whether the asset is "Won', 'Referred' or 'Passed In').

Pickles considers it unethical to accept any other bid after the 'hammer fall' (meaning, "when all bidding has ceased") and would not accept any further bids after this time.

The only exception to this rule is a situation where an underbidder claims the auctioneer has inadvertently missed their (higher) bid. In this case, a dispute would be raised and the Auctioneer can decide to reopen the auction to allow the bidding to continue, however, this is a very rare occurrence.

In essence, your best and only opportunity to outbid another buyer, is during the bidding round for that asset, not after the 'hammer fall'.

Hope that helps.

Paulasked

Hello, I bid on and was the highest bidder an online vehicle auction on Friday. My bid was 'refer' when the auction ended. I contacted Pickles on Monday and was told the item is still referred to buyer. After reading the comments on this site it appears that my bid will most likely not be accepted. Presently am looking to purchase another vehicle on another auction site ending in 2 days, is there a shut off time when the item is still referred to buyer when I am no longer legally required to honour my action agreements?

Nakkas
Nakkas

The Seller can stick with the reserve price or come down in reserve price. Pickles should contact you to let you know what the seller wants to do. Just ring Pickles and tell them you want an answer so you can decide on the other vehicle..

Paul

As I stated, I had already contacted Pickles and asked the question - was told they would contact me soon. My question, what is the duration that I am legally bound to the auction agreement? Soon could be a days or weeks before I know if the seller agrees to the bid. It is now 5 days since the auction - Is there a specified cutoff period where the bid becomes null and void or is it the case that; because the bid was referred then there is no agreement and I am not bound to the bid?

Paul

Insert the sound of crickets here!

Helenasked

Hi,
I bought a caravan from Pickles. When it was delivered the gas bottles were missing. They were in the auction photos. When I rang Pickles up they told me they are not allowed to sell gas bottles. They were specific gas bottles for the caravan so the special cover goes over them. I want the gas bottles returned.
Regards Helen

Hi Helen,

I'd like to look into this for you. Can you please provide me with a copy of your invoice and any additional details so I can follow this up with the branch.

You can email me at cx@pickles.com.au

Hi,
It is all sorted out. All good. Thanks

Hi Helen,

That's wonderful news, glad to hear it's been sorted.
We certainly hope to be able to provide you with a smoother, trouble-free experience next time.

All the best, Pickles Cx

Dnk

Dnkasked

Bought a bike from pickles in Melbourne, done a ppsr and it states it still has money owing on it. It’s been 10 days since the contract was settled. Also being the first time buyer, I’m not sure where I stand. Do they have x amount of time to pay or it’s up to me?

vik
vik

I would say you should contact them, as they can play very smart, without you fully understanding the auction terms, it can be laid upon you, but give them call they should preety much tell whats on with it.

Hi Dnk,

Please provide as much detail about the asset and transaction as possible, a copy of your invoice will suffice.
You can email me at cx@pickles.com.au and I will look into this for you.

Hi Dnk,

Thanks for providing the information I needed.

As per our email conversation, the vendor did not make us aware that there was an encumbrance on the asset at time of listing for Auction (which is their obligation), subsequently, they have rectified this. Therefore I can advise that there is clear title on this asset.

We do apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and can advise that we reinforced with this Vendor their obligations under the terms and conditions of sale.

Kind regards, Pickles Cx

Melbrevasked

What are your daily storage fees for cars that are being auctioned?

Rick
Rick

No idea bro

Hi Melbrev,

Apologies for the late reply.

In response to your question: There are no applicable storage fees for assets (cars) that are being auctioned.

Storage fees are only applicable once an asset (car) is sold (purchased) and has not been collected within the required time-frame.

If you bid and win an asset at auction then you will pay a deposit on the spot. The balance of payment is then due within 24 hours.
Once the balance of payment is received you will then have 2 days (48 hours) to arrange for collection of the asset.

If the asset is not collected within that 24 hour period then a daily storage fee becomes applicable.
That fee is charged at $66.00 per day.

I hope that answer was helpful. If you'd like to know more then you can visit the FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) section of our website, located at https://www.pickles.com.au/about/frequently-asked-questions

Kind regards, Pickles Cx

Melbrev

I had my car repossed and sent to pickles for auction, it never sold, so I've paid the overdue and am picking it up. I was told I'd have to pay for storage costs plus gst if they are applicable. So there are no storage fees?

Get an answer from our members and Pickles Auctions representatives