Pope Auto Wind Hose Reel

Pope Auto Wind Hose Reel

• Incentivised Review Yes (0%) · No (100%)

Donna M

Donna MGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Tried 3 and have now given up!!!

I purchased this Pope brand 12m auto wind hose reel a few months ago and other than the very first time i used it, it has been nothing but a nightmare! It has been replaced two times at Bunnings (where it was purchased) and both times it has been exactly the same. I am on my third one at the moment and have given up and now leave it unwound on my grass!
I bought this because I thought it would be more easier than the hand winder type of reel but this has been pure torture!
My partner has an OLD Holman and one jerk on the hose and it rewinds completely...obviously Pope have a design flaw somewhere with this particular unit.
My advise to you all....don’t buy Pope!!! The frustration just isn’t worth it!!

Russell

RussellGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Should last longer than that

Only 3 years old unit leaks internally and I am told it is not fixable.no docket so no warranty, will not look at this brand in future.
Retraction works, hose is in excellent condition,all seems a waste

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for $189.00.

not happy

bought a 30m pope hose reel from bunnings on the weekend not happy with water seems restricted so not happy . should of bought a hoselink brand that i had before .

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $188.00.

Julianne

JulianneMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Flow Restrictor

Only just brought ours recently, but flow of water seems restricted... compared to our normal hose to our sprinkler - the pressure was heaps better than the flow from this hose ... not sure if these have flow restrictors in them..

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $187.00.

Peter Bell

Peter BellSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Will not fully retract - a poor product

I bought the Pope 30 metre hose reel from Bunnings. It will not fully retract, I have given up with it and leave it unretracted. Yes I have followed the instructions! Not good at all.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for $179.00.

Darryl BowlingNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Unsatisfactory product

Purchased in January 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Darryl Bowling

Thank you for your response. It is untrue to say you sell these units without any issues. This customer can read your product review area. Maybe you should too! The quality of this product is really quite underdeveloped.

Liz

LizSouthwest, VIC

Snapped bolts and won't retrarct

Like other people here, I've had issues with bolts snapping when mounting it to the wall of my house, and then the hose not retracting with ease. I bought this product a year ago, but have only got around to mounting it recently as I've been overseas for seven months. So I no longer have the receipt for an exchange. Annoying because the actual quality of the hose is good, but now it's just lying around the garden in a big mess like my previous hose was!

Purchased in September 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for $179.00.

John

JohnSydney Surrounds, NSW

Good product but mounting bracket is a problem

I have just installed a Pope auto wind hose reel and generally speaking it seems to be a good product.

My only complaint (and why I did give a 5 star rating) is that the mounting holes on the bracket are at a poorly selected distance from each other. The distance between the top holes and the bottom holes is almost the width of 2 bricks and a mortar joint and as such I did NOT use the included rawl plugs and bolts as I was concerned that the necedssary 12mm holes would be so close to the edge of the bricks that tightening the bolts would crack the bricks. I used 6mm brick bolts instead.
I would have thought that Pope would have thought of this when designing where the mounting holes are located.

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $119.00.

ARK

ARK

pope auto wind hose reel

failed to retract much at all. 14 months old Very surprised as $179 !! Got to be some kind of design weakness given the number of similar issues. Lucky my wife kept the receipt including a photocopy of same in case it self destructed (faded) Should be able to take it to Pope directly for a refund if a receipt can't be found. They should analyse the returned item forensically and re-engineer it last at least 5 years before any failures start to occur.

Purchased in August 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for $179.00.

Jane of PerthPerth, WA

12 metre non retractable hose.

I bought 12 metre Pope retractable hose on 2.10.19 - mounted on wall used it once. It didn’t retract. I tried gentle, water off, on to “release the pressure” as instructed.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $71.00.

Thanks, Thanks. I’ll take my receipt and seek a replacement from Bunnings

Mykal

MykalCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Didn't last a day

Bought the"new and improved" model, as the last one broke after only 2 or three years. Unwound it 10m and spent 10 minutes trying to get it to go back in. I gave up with about 1.5m still hanging out. Taking it back and will try an el-cheapo.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $179.00.

Unhappy Customer

Unhappy CustomerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Horrible quality. Designed to save time but it does quite the opposite.

Purchased the brand new model (30m) from Bunnings Warehouse. Worked once then had to sit there for at least 10 minutes nursing the hose back on the reel. I have taken all measures for it to work, including releasing the water pressure prior to reeling up the hose. However, it doesn't increase the quality of the system. The hose is advertised to be of high quality however, it developed bothersome kinks within the first week. Which further increases the time required. Horrible quality and a waste of money. If I could give zero stars I would. Very disappointed pope... You've lost a valuable customer

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $179.00.

shaun austin

shaun austinSydney, NSW

Keep your receipt

I have bought 4 of the 20m retractable hose reels over the last few years. One of the reels was bothersome in regard to quickly retracting as it took about 5 to 10 pulls to make the hose rewind into the case. Reel was between 2 years old. I Called Pope, explained the situation and was directed to take it back to the store for a replacement which I did successfully. The new reel is perfect just like the others.
Good service from Pope, thanks.

Purchased in March 2017 at Bunnings Warehouse for $130.00.

Unhappy Customer

Unhappy CustomerSydney, NSW

This new improved rewind system has really fixed my issues with the old model.

Purchased the old model which I had replaced at Bunnings with another type after finding it very hard lock in position and then rewind. Have just replaced that with the new improved system and can't fault it.
Well done Pope you have got it right this time.

Purchased in July 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $179.00.

absolute junk

Bought the 30 metre hose. went to fix it to the wall. Three of the securing bolts snapped before even being wound half in and I have already drilled pilot holes in the wall. Crap chinese bolts. I then had to spend two hours trying to drill them out and then move the mounting plate. After one weeks use it wont wind back properly and leaves metres of hose across the patio then i have to nurse it back for 10 minutes a bit at a time to get it wound up. Don't even get me started in the sub quality hose that's supplied that kinks - absolute waste of money and not worth what they charge for it.

Purchased in June 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $180.00.

rubbish

don't ring customer support because they can't help you. they just tell you to take it back to the store. it does not rewind for the last 1.5 metres of length

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Vivienne S.Pope

good reel if used correctly.

had 30m reel for about 2yrs. the grandies (1 of them) has let the hose go and it has broken the small cog inside the unit not allow the spindle to retract the hose. like most people, I have lost my receipt so no return or exchange. Email Pope and no they don't have the spare parts, which is annoying. how do you get tension back on the reel. Any ideas.
Cheers,
Gezza

Purchased in October 2017.

Thanks.

Bong CheBrisbane Region

Poor quality, failed after less than a year

Bought from Bunnings and installed out of the full sun on the wall. Probably used once every 2 weeks for about the last year. It always was a problem to lock when the hose was out and generally rough in operation. Got progressively got worse in the next few months and now the host is stuck out and doesn't wind at all. It goes out with the garbage this week. Of course I don't have a legible receipt so $169 down the drain. Unreliable and obviously not designed for reliable service.

Purchased in February 2018 at Bunnings for $169.00.

Bong Che

I doubt I bought it on it's own. Undoubtedly I have a Bunnings transaction around that time for a value in excess. Ill have a look. I still have the faulty unit (garbage day tomorrow) which will prove that I bought it.

RM893223

Waste of money

Purchased this hose reel from Bunnings about 6 months ago. Made the mistake of thinking that it would be O.K. Bought a nylex one at the same time. Pope one is nearly ready for the rubbish tip. Nylex one is excellent. Should have read the reviews before purchasing. I am not one to keep receipts. When purchasing an item, I expect under Australian standards, the product will do what it is meant to do. After reading the answers from Pope, it would appear that it is a generic answer. In other words all the same.

Purchased in May 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse.

RM89

Found the receipt from Bunnings. Purchased 19/1/2018. Surprise surprise, warranty for this product is 1 year. The cheaper Nylex has 2 year warranty.
be interesting if Pope stands by their product, or is it "Buyer Beware".

Shaz26

Shaz26Sydney, NSW

Great product

An excellent product. The hose still unwinds and rewinds with ease after over four years. I use this hose for everything, watering the garden, washing the cars, washing the dogs etc. Would highly recommend this product, it's great value for money.

Purchased in November 2015 at Bunnings Warehouse for $179.00.

Allan

Allanasked

The holes I drilled on a brick wall for the pope hose reel bracket is too big how do I fix it

Hi Allan,

Thank you for your question. If the holes you drilled are too big, then I would advise that you plug them up and drill new holes using a 12mm masonry drill bit. You can use the mounting bracket as a template to mark the location of the four holes.

Regards,
The Pope Team

JSmith

JSmithasked

I have a 30m auto reel which is several years old but it will not lock when pulled beyond a short distance. What do you suggest to correct this problem?

Hi JSmith,

Can you please call our Customer Service team as they may be able to assist you with your issue? You can call them on 1300 134 880, Monday - Friday, 8.00am - 5.00pm CST.

Regards,
The Pope Team

Kevin Masked

I have just bought a retractable Pope hose reel (20m) have attached it to a wall, attached to the tap, and when I turn the tap on after extending the hose fully for the first time, a dribble comes out or nothing. When I remove the initial hose from the tap end, all the water seems to have backed-up there and it all gushes out from the wrong end. What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this? Thanks in anticipation.

Sarah C.
Sarah C.

Did you get it sorted? We are having the same issue.

Kevin M

No, not sorted yet Sarah C. No reply answer to my post.

Greg N
Greg N

I had the same issue, I then put the nozzle on the end of the hose and its working fine!

Get an answer from our members and Pope representatives