Smeg SA987CX

Smeg SA987CX

A total waste of money

I wanted a convection oven to save electricity - save on heating a large oven for two baked potatoes. I have not yet been able to bake anything. The micro facility works OK, but I had a perfectly good micro that I took out to fit the convection/micro combo, so nothing gained there. I doubt it ever heats above 120C. After complaining, it was replaced - with exactly the same outcome. A real lemon of a product. Be warned!

Daniel

DanielSydney, NSW

So far so good

It’s been working ok so far. The design is fairly attractive and it looks good on a built in style shelf in the kitchen. Cooking quality is good. Heats fairly evenly.

Purchased in September 2018.

Great Customer Service from SMEG

I had a problem with my Smeg microwave. It had sparked and then stopped working on the microwave function. It was well out of warranty - I've had it 4 years and it's a 2 year warranty, so really I had no expectation that Smeg would help. I contacted their customer service rep directly explaining the problem. Also that the convection function had never been particularly great. He arranged for Prestige Appliance Repair centre in Adelaide to repair it for me, free of charge as a goodwill gesture. It was repaired quickly and for free, for which I am very grateful. A 5 out of 5 for their customer service!

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Matthew

MatthewAdelaide

Looks great but doesn't heat your food

We didn't understand why our food has been heating up unevenly until we decided to google and realised that its actually a common problem with this model. The microwave looks great, easy to clean but just doesn't do what any simple microwave should which is simply heat your food evenly. We don't have a receipt as it was given to us as a wedding present and are very disappointed with Smeg for making a product that just doesn't do what any simple microwave should. We called the Smeg customer service they advised us that it'll cost $70 just to look at it and $45 per every 15mins plus parts. That's un-Australian. You can't make a product that's got a fault and expect your customers to pay to fix the fault.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
    Pete

PeteSydney Australia

Microwave function failure

I also experienced a microwave function failure, where the grill and convention function continued to work. This was after 4 years of mild usage of the oven. As you can imagine I was also disappointed after spending a premium price on such a reputable brand for this to happen.
    Luckily I found this review website and decided to contact steve.cullen@smeg.com.au who took on my case immediately and within two days I had a tech at my home who repaired the problem free of charge.
    I could not have hoped for a more professional outcome to the problem. I understand that mechanical things can fail for various reasons and was more than pleased to find that SMEG also appreciated that and resolved my problem.

Date PurchasedApr 2014
    Howard

HowardBrisbane

Smeq microwave

Got this as part of the new house that i have just built. Seen complicated and not straight forward to use. One time after using the defrost function, the microwave just switch off itself. We could not switch it back on. The next day we have a power outage. When the power came back on the microwave has been switch on again !!! Not sure what happen.
    No problem since then.
    Finger cross.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Amazing SMEG Service

I emailed the SMEG National Service Manager after incurring a performance issue with my four year old SA987CX Convection Microwave. SMEG customer service responded within 20 minutes of receiving my email, sent someone to site within 2 business days, identified the issue and rectified the situation at no cost - I am now back in business and extremely grateful. Thank you to SMEG and to the helpful serviceman who came to site, it was amazing service.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Rotating wheels not working - Brand New!

We only started using the Smeg Convection Microwave Oven in the last month and after the first week the wheels that spin the plate around stopped turning. It looks as though the wheels have been flattened but not sure how as I haven't put anything that heavy in there to cook, which is what I'm guessing is why it's not turning around anymore. I basically need to stop and turn the plate/dish around so it evenly cooks/heats. It was a gift so I don't have a receipt to go back and have it replaced. Not sure if there's a part that I can buy to replace the wheel spinner and see if that was the actual problem.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
    Honeybee

Honeybee

Started out great, 4 years on rotating base no longer works

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Isabel

IsabelBrisbane

Pretty ordinary product

We bought a smeg package when we did up our kitchen and the other items are good however this microwave is very very ordinary. After numerous attempts to repair it from new it was replaced in less than a year. The grilled stopped working recently and now it sparks internally when microwaving when it works at all.
    Overall very disappointing for a supposedly premium brand this is not a great experience. We would not recommend smeg if you want a reliable product.

Date PurchasedSep 2008
    Cardy

CardyTheodore 2905, ACT

Does the job

It does what it is meant to. Previous to this oven I had an expensive top line m/w steam oven from another manufacture that failed after 13 months (Seperate review) I purchased this and it was the cheapest with the convection feature. Has all the bells and whistles that we require.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Keeps going wrong

Bought Smeg thinking I was clever getting a 2 year warranty and a top quality product. Something blew within a week and Smeg came out and replaced the whole unit (smoke otu teh back!!). The 2 months later the magnetron blew - again smeg came out and replaced the part. Now the turntable is so noisy the food is cooked by noise power alone. Ive never even heard of a microwave having problems before - next time I'll buy a cheap one.

Date PurchasedJun 2014
    Sylken

SylkenTweed Heads

Happy with service

We had a similar problem with our 3 year old Smeg failing, read these reviews contacted the National Service Manager, Steve who promptly responded and arranged a goodwill service call to repair our microwave. The serviceman was in touch with us promptly too and out to repair within 2 working days. Turned out to be an easy fix - a blown fuse and we are back cooking again. Can't complain.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
    Goldygai

GoldygaiGold Coast

No clock

This convection microwave does not have a built-in clock. I purposely purchased an oven without a clock (slightly less expensive than with clock), because one on the microwave would be sufficient. Who could believe, or think to ask, if the clock is a feature of the product? I thought they were standard. What a nuisance to now have to mount a clock on the wall to have handy during cooking. With limited few models on display for demonstration, too late after delivery to find out the deficiency of the one I chose.

My rating is only because it is required for this review. I have used the appliance just once, so cannot at this time properly judge it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
    EdZ

EdZMelbourne

Microwave function failed after just 4 years

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Disappointed with poor product

We bought our microwave oven as a back-up to cook smaller cakes, quiches, etc also to heat food.
    The convention has not functioned for some time so the purchase was pointless.
    This was not a cheap oven and we are disappointed, to say the least.
    Previous comments in reviews indicate its not feasible to repair as its cost comparable to the purchase of a new oven. So lugging the oven to the repair shop 30kms away is not an option.
    We would like a technician to fix it or a refund on a faulty product, please.

Date PurchasedAug 2014

DavidSydney

Regretting my purchase!

I purchased this product as it seemed to be good value for the features and looks. Unfortunately I have had multiple issues with it in my time of owning it. It is now borderline unusable as it no longer rotates while it is cooking so you have to manually open the door (with gloves on) and rotate the tray every few minutes (unless you like burnt on one side and undercooked on the other) I've tried multiple methods of repairing it but it's starting to look like it's more trouble than it's worth. It's a pity as smeg could have been on a winner here.

Date PurchasedJan 2014
    David

Thanks for your quick reply Steve, I have just sent you an email fingers crossed we can sort something out.

Hip hop

Hip hopSydney Surrounds, NSW

Appallingly Awful Product But Worse C/S

Date PurchasedJul 2014

FlynnMelbourne

Very disappointed in SMEG microwave

Just out of warranty and the top griller heating element ceased working. Have had other issues with excessive 'cooling' times as well. The microwave is not very powerful and takes a lot longer to heat food than the ones at work, even though it is meant to be just as powerful.

Flynn

Hi Steve. I am now disappointed in SMEG's National Service Manager as well as my SMEG microwave. After commenting on my post, you have ceased your assistance.

Nothing but problems

Bought this product and nothing but problems. Light and turntable worked sporadically. Had it "fixed" but continued. Last straw, put 2 bread rolls in for 10 seconds, came back to find smoke pouring out of the oven. Had to smother with a fire blanket. Product was just out of warranty, but called smeg as there was obviously a fault, but not interested. Could have burnt the whole house down!

Heather
    Heather

I would like to say that Smeg were very helpful after this review! They have since replaced the convection oven at no cost, and to date we have had no further issues with the product.

See all Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2 reviews

Bob

Bobasked

SA987CX

I have a SMEG sa987cx-1 but the globe needs replacing. Is there 2 globes ? How do change the globes over ?

Gary J

Gary Jasked

SA987CX

i own a smeg sa987cx and one of the two bulbs have blown. does the unit need both bulbs to be working for the unit to have light?
    I have also ordered two 120v 20 watt bulbs through a wholesaler, can i use these?

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Gary. Thanks for your email. Yes, you will need both globes to be working. You can contact us direct at: spareparts@smeg.com.au and we can supply you with the correct globes. regards Lesley

Debasked

Hi
    My microwave is 4.5 years old and the knob doesn’t work any more. It will only do 60 min or 10 seconds cooking times. When I press the multi,convection or grill button, it doesn’t let me go any further with the programming. when you are paying $890 for a microwave you expect it to last a bit longer. Can it be fixed?

Steve C.Smeg

Hi Deb, Thank you for your enquiry. Have you contacted us direct to discuss this matter? My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. Can you please email me direct - steve.cullen@smeg.com.au and include your full name, address and a contact telephone number. Please also advise the date and place of purchase, I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards Steve.

I had a very quick response from the Smeg official Steve Cullen
    He put me through to the smeg service people and they arranged to get my microwave fixed the next day
    I couldn’t be happier with the Smeg customer service especially when my microwave was 4.5 years old

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives