So far so good

It’s been working ok so far. The design is fairly attractive and it looks good on a built in style shelf in the kitchen. Cooking quality is good. Heats fairly evenly.

Purchased in September 2018.

Great Customer Service from SMEG

I had a problem with my Smeg microwave. It had sparked and then stopped working on the microwave function. It was well out of warranty - I've had it 4 years and it's a 2 year warranty, so really I had no expectation that Smeg would help. I contacted their customer service rep directly explaining the problem. Also that the convection function had never been particularly great. He arranged for Prestige Appliance Repair centre in Adelaide to repair it for me, free of charge as a goodwill gesture. It was repaired quickly and for free, for which I am very grateful. A 5 out of 5 for their customer service!

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Looks great but doesn't heat your food

We didn't understand why our food has been heating up unevenly until we decided to google and realised that its actually a common problem with this model. The microwave looks great, easy to clean but just doesn't do what any simple microwave should which is simply heat your food evenly. We don't have a receipt as it was given to us as a wedding present and are very disappointed with Smeg for making a product that just doesn't do what any simple microwave should. We called the Smeg customer service they advised us that it'll cost $70 just to look at it and $45 per every 15mins plus parts. That's un-Australian. You can't make a product that's got a fault and expect your customers to pay to fix the fault.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Dear Matthew, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Microwave function failure

I also experienced a microwave function failure, where the grill and convention function continued to work. This was after 4 years of mild usage of the oven. As you can imagine I was also disappointed after spending a premium price on such a reputable brand for this to happen.
Luckily I found this review website and decided to contact steve.cullen@smeg.com.au who took on my case immediately and within two days I had a tech at my home who repaired the problem free of charge.
I could not have hoped for a more professional outcome to the problem. I understand that mechanical things can fail for various reasons and was more than pleased to find that SMEG also appreciated that and resolved my problem.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Smeq microwave

Got this as part of the new house that i have just built. Seen complicated and not straight forward to use. One time after using the defrost function, the microwave just switch off itself. We could not switch it back on. The next day we have a power outage. When the power came back on the microwave has been switch on again !!! Not sure what happen.
No problem since then.
Finger cross.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Amazing SMEG Service

I emailed the SMEG National Service Manager after incurring a performance issue with my four year old SA987CX Convection Microwave. SMEG customer service responded within 20 minutes of receiving my email, sent someone to site within 2 business days, identified the issue and rectified the situation at no cost - I am now back in business and extremely grateful. Thank you to SMEG and to the helpful serviceman who came to site, it was amazing service.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Rotating wheels not working - Brand New!

We only started using the Smeg Convection Microwave Oven in the last month and after the first week the wheels that spin the plate around stopped turning. It looks as though the wheels have been flattened but not sure how as I haven't put anything that heavy in there to cook, which is what I'm guessing is why it's not turning around anymore. I basically need to stop and turn the plate/dish around so it evenly cooks/heats. It was a gift so I don't have a receipt to go back and have it replaced. Not sure if there's a part that I can buy to replace the wheel spinner and see if that was the actual problem.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Dear Jess, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Started out great, 4 years on rotating base no longer works

Much in line with other posts in this review our always has excessive steam on cooking and often drips out around door. We have also had the issue that the plastic part that sits on the spindle where the rotating arm sits on raises up above the rotating arm so that the arm doesn't rotate and therefore food overheats unevenly. This has always happened when using the convection over 200deg C but after 4yrs now this happens every time we use it and when cooking a 2 or 3 min time period we have to stop it 4 or 5 times to reset the plastic part in the spindle and reset the rotating arm on the plastic part. It's very annoying now and we can't walk away from the machine or turn or backs for 30secs because the tray will stop rotating and burn food. Not impressed that an expensive, big name brand would fail after only four yrs.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013
Dear Honeybee, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Pretty ordinary product

We bought a smeg package when we did up our kitchen and the other items are good however this microwave is very very ordinary. After numerous attempts to repair it from new it was replaced in less than a year. The grilled stopped working recently and now it sparks internally when microwaving when it works at all.
Overall very disappointing for a supposedly premium brand this is not a great experience. We would not recommend smeg if you want a reliable product.

Date PurchasedSep 2008

Does the job

It does what it is meant to. Previous to this oven I had an expensive top line m/w steam oven from another manufacture that failed after 13 months (Seperate review) I purchased this and it was the cheapest with the convection feature. Has all the bells and whistles that we require.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Keeps going wrong

Bought Smeg thinking I was clever getting a 2 year warranty and a top quality product. Something blew within a week and Smeg came out and replaced the whole unit (smoke otu teh back!!). The 2 months later the magnetron blew - again smeg came out and replaced the part. Now the turntable is so noisy the food is cooked by noise power alone. Ive never even heard of a microwave having problems before - next time I'll buy a cheap one.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Happy with service

We had a similar problem with our 3 year old Smeg failing, read these reviews contacted the National Service Manager, Steve who promptly responded and arranged a goodwill service call to repair our microwave. The serviceman was in touch with us promptly too and out to repair within 2 working days. Turned out to be an easy fix - a blown fuse and we are back cooking again. Can't complain.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

No clock

This convection microwave does not have a built-in clock. I purposely purchased an oven without a clock (slightly less expensive than with clock), because one on the microwave would be sufficient. Who could believe, or think to ask, if the clock is a feature of the product? I thought they were standard. What a nuisance to now have to mount a clock on the wall to have handy during cooking. With limited few models on display for demonstration, too late after delivery to find out the deficiency of the one I chose.

My rating is only because it is required for this review. I have used the appliance just once, so cannot at this time properly judge it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Microwave function failed after just 4 years

So we thought by splurging on a fancy, expensive Smeg microwave we would have an appliance that will outlast most other known named brands. I think the brand 'Smeg' itself costs $300 and the actual appliance is something comparable to a discount store entry level microwave. How can an upmarket brand like Smeg manufacture a microwave that can't even last 4 years?! What happened to expensive brand = quality, Smeg?

The microwave function failed just out of the blue. I was heating some leftovers for dinner and it worked fine. Took out that dish and put in another then suddenly the it failed to reheat, even after trying several times up to 4 mins per cycle. Thought it's a temporary thing so the next day I unplugged the power cord, plug it back and tried again. Still not heating up my food. The grill function seems to still be working.

Very disappointed with this product now as I've heard the cost to repair this is worth a brand new microwave. Plus I'll have to haul this heavy paperweight to a service centre 30kms away and have to wait days, maybe weeks before I can have some decent microwaved leftovers again.

Date PurchasedMar 2013
Dear EdZ, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and contact numbers. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Disappointed with poor product

We bought our microwave oven as a back-up to cook smaller cakes, quiches, etc also to heat food.
The convention has not functioned for some time so the purchase was pointless.
This was not a cheap oven and we are disappointed, to say the least.
Previous comments in reviews indicate its not feasible to repair as its cost comparable to the purchase of a new oven. So lugging the oven to the repair shop 30kms away is not an option.
We would like a technician to fix it or a refund on a faulty product, please.

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Dear Jan, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Regretting my purchase!

I purchased this product as it seemed to be good value for the features and looks. Unfortunately I have had multiple issues with it in my time of owning it. It is now borderline unusable as it no longer rotates while it is cooking so you have to manually open the door (with gloves on) and rotate the tray every few minutes (unless you like burnt on one side and undercooked on the other) I've tried multiple methods of repairing it but it's starting to look like it's more trouble than it's worth. It's a pity as smeg could have been on a winner here.

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Dear David, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThanks for your quick reply Steve, I have just sent you an email fingers crossed we can sort something out.Just wanted to update my review. It appears my original SA987CX was a lemon. Fortunately with the help of Steve and the Smeg service team we were able to find a solution and I am now back to using the convection function without any issues. I can't fault the after sales service I received thanks Steve (and Smeg service team)

Appallingly Awful Product But Worse C/S

Even the salesman at Harvey Norman tried to talk us out of this microwave. Should have listened. It drowns itself in excessive condensation which resulted in regularly blowing our house fuses. Apparently normal according to Smeg. When it finally blew itself up a month before warranty end (best part of the product) it took 3 service call outs and 5 months before a decision was made to replace it because the techie couldn't be bothered coming up here again. 2 months later, no kidding, no microwave and no apology from Smeg, we finally get the call that our replacement is coming today - hooray! EXCEPT the aggressive delivery dude can't be stuffed opening our front gate, leaving a phone message or using a security intercom RIGHT beside the gate on the gate post and hung up on me when I rang back 14 mins after his initial call. The Smeg Customer Service rep [name removed] who I spoke to was completely unconcerned that a company representative was aggressive, demeaning, dismissive and dishonest but did promise to relay my complaint to her superior [name removed]. Plus I would receive my microwave tomorrow. No matter or apology that I had taken the morning off to be at home or can't be here tomorrow. I haven't received a delivery confirmation yet by phone or email yet either. Nothing about this experience has been remotely professional. Kind of hoping that my replacement either doesn't get delivered as promised or doesn't work so I can take these jokers to Dept of Fair Trading. My Mums 10 year old Whirlpool microwave has been a fantastic replacement. And my husband just happens to have a kitchen manufacturing business. So all clients will be advised against Smeg, all tradespeople and builders will be informed plus we live in an area where everyone knows everyone else so boy, will we be talking. If you thought this product was bad, just wait till you experience the customer back up!!!!!

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Dear Hip Hop, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ensure that these matters are fixed. Regards, Steve Cullen

Very disappointed in SMEG microwave

Just out of warranty and the top griller heating element ceased working. Have had other issues with excessive 'cooling' times as well. The microwave is not very powerful and takes a lot longer to heat food than the ones at work, even though it is meant to be just as powerful.

Dear Flynn, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenHi Steve. I am now disappointed in SMEG's National Service Manager as well as my SMEG microwave. After commenting on my post, you have ceased your assistance.

Nothing but problems

Bought this product and nothing but problems. Light and turntable worked sporadically. Had it "fixed" but continued. Last straw, put 2 bread rolls in for 10 seconds, came back to find smoke pouring out of the oven. Had to smother with a fire blanket. Product was just out of warranty, but called smeg as there was obviously a fault, but not interested. Could have burnt the whole house down!

Dear Heather, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenI would like to say that Smeg were very helpful after this review! They have since replaced the convection oven at no cost, and to date we have had no further issues with the product.

A little concerned

Bought the SMEG in Melbourne from Harvey Norman. Have only used the convention oven once. Mostly used for heating. A few weeks ago the turntable started making some strange noises. Tonight, we cooked something on MW for 10 minutes and it said it need to cool down. It was cooling down for over an hour and the microwave was getting hotter and hotter. NO error message appeared or an overheating message. I turned it off at the wall and took the plug out. Will call Harvey Norman tomorrow but am concerned now that I have read these reviews and discovered this model has been discontinued.

Dear Cherie, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

See all Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2 reviews

i own a smeg sa987cx and one of the two bulbs have blown. does the unit need both bulbs to be working for the unit to have light? I have also ordered two 120v 20 watt bulbs through a wholesaler, can i use these?
Hi Gary. Thanks for your email. Yes, you will need both globes to be working. You can contact us direct at: spareparts@smeg.com.au and we can supply you with the correct globes. regards Lesley

Hi My microwave is 4.5 years old and the knob doesn’t work any more. It will only do 60 min or 10 seconds cooking times. When I press the multi,convection or grill button, it doesn’t let me go any further with the programming. when you are paying $890 for a microwave you expect it to last a bit longer. Can it be fixed?
Hi Deb, Thank you for your enquiry. Have you contacted us direct to discuss this matter? My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. Can you please email me direct - steve.cullen@smeg.com.au and include your full name, address and a contact telephone number. Please also advise the date and place of purchase, I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards Steve.I had a very quick response from the Smeg official Steve Cullen He put me through to the smeg service people and they arranged to get my microwave fixed the next day I couldn’t be happier with the Smeg customer service especially when my microwave was 4.5 years old Thank you Steve Cullen

Hi, I have a SA987CX, just out of the box today (been waiting for my new kitchen). I’ve only ever had a normal microwave before, so this is all new to me. First question - how do I cook a frozen pizza in it?? Thanks
Hi Jae defrost the pizza with the micro wave function then use the convection to heat up the pizza, use the instruction for cooking on the pizza box to set the temperatures. Regards Smeg tech support

CategoryMicrowaves