Solidteknics AUS-ION Cookware

Solidteknics AUS-ION Cookware Questions & Answers

Judy M
Judy M

I want a small frypan to cook salmon. Do i use olive oil and what pan suits? Is there a lid? I also need to cook soup in a large pan. What is suitable? Where do I purchase your products at the best price? I want non-toxic pans which are 100% safe. Many thanks.

Solidteknics   DM

Hi Judy, you can cook with whatever oil/fat suits you. We don't make lids for every size, this pan would be a great all rounder and not too small external link . You can read more about our pans here external link  At SOLIDTEKNICS we have developed two ranges of innovative, world-first, world-class cookware: AUS-ION™ wrought iron (formed mild or low-carbon Australian steel), and nöni™ ferritic (non-nickel) wrought stainless steel cookware. Both ranges are made in Australia from a single sheet of the finest quality material, with no rivets, welds or synthetic / short-lived coatings ever.

In short, our cookware is 100% designed and made in Australia; non-toxic, healthy, sustainable and multi-century durable! Thank you in advance for your support, happy cooking Judy.

Pascale Radi
Pascale Radi

Not really a question but just wanted to say I was interested in buying your products. I don’t usually care about negative reviews especially when there are so many more positive ones but the thing that has stopped me from buying any of our products is your customer service responses to negative reviews. They are unprofessional and condescending. I fear to ever have to deal with your customer service team. The responses are taken as a personal attack on the person responding and continue to blame the customer. Who starts off an email repeatedly with, ‘Shame, ….’.
Cringe worthily stuff to read, learn how to better deal with negative reviews and trust people more.

Thanks but no thanks.

Solidteknics   DM

We respect your feedback. Unfortunately, what is most often not available is the full context. Happy cooking!

Red
Red

Interested in the lightning range but I cook on an electric cooktop?
How flat is the bottom? Will they be highly effective on an electric top or will I have issues with slight warping or concaving?

Solidteknics   DM

Hi Red, all of our pans are engineered with a concave to avoid warping - external link  Our pans work with any heat source, we do recommend with electric stovetops, to heat slowly as you become familiar with the pan and its high conductivity. Thank you in advance for your support.

David
David

I have read some poor reviews about Aus Iron pans performance on induction stoves. Are these valid? Do the pans work as well as a spun steel pan?

Solidteknics   DM

Hi David, our pans are formed from one piece of pure Australian iron sheet - induction conducts perfectly well with iron as a general rule yet particularly well with Solidteknics given our pans are seamless, and are magnetic all over, rather than just magnetic layers in the base. The variable is the stovetop itself. Major variables not often considered are the size and layout of the cooking zones ie the location of the coils, and the controls. Pricing varies from a few hundred dollars to $4000, this gives you an idea of how they can vary. I trust this helps.

STEPHEN
STEPHEN

Hi David, I cook on gas myself, but those I know who use Solidteknics with induction (and there are many that do) love the performance of AusIon on induction. This topic comes up occasionally often with comments about what seems to be a big variable in the quality of induction stove appliances sold in domestic applications. But a poor performing appliance will affect the performance of any brand of cookware no matter how good it is. Solidteknics cookware would likely perform better than most I would suspect due to its construction and materials used.

KBM

Would this type of cookware be suitable for all types of cooking? For instance: tomatoes shouldn’t be cooked in cast iron - would they be ok to cook in these pots and pans??

Solidteknics   DM

Hi KBM, good question! Our AUS-ION pans are made from clean Australian iron so season and perform similarly to cast iron. Whilst you can cook anything in them, acidic foods like tomato can erode the seasoning (though always an easy fix through more seasoning!). We recommend our Noni range for all acidic foods, slow cooking, curries etc. Noni is made from ferritic, non nickel stainless steel so no seasoning required and super low maintenance: external link  <3

KBM

That’s great advice thank you!

Plo
Plo

I am needing to replace my damaged Le Creuset pot and am contemplating whether to go with Le Creuset again or Solidteknics. What Solidteknics pot would be an equivalent of the Le Creuset pot, and how do they compare?

Solidteknics   DM

Hi Plo, we don't tend to compare products, though I can guide you on Solidteknics, with the end decision being yours. This pot is 6L's external link , that said, I am not certain which Le Creuset pot you had in mind.

Our lids are unique - each skillet-lid alone is a high-performance shallow skillet, crepe pan, baking tray, or griddle for all kinds of frying and grilling. Each Solidteknics pan is engraved with the month and year of manufacture for heirloom collectibility.

Other features:

100% made in Australia (Sydney)
World-first 1-piece pan
No rivets, welds, screws = indestructible
The lid is multi-functional.
Multi-century warranty
Date stamped for future generations
Vented handle dissipates heat
Exotic small batch ferritic (non-nickel) stainless steel
Solid (non-clad) 3mm thick
Fast and even conduction on all heat sources

Either way, thank you for considering Solidteknics.

Hotspur
Hotspur

Hi Plo,
I'm intrigued to know what happened to your Le Creuset pot (I assume you are referring to a cast iron enamelled pot/dutch oven/coccotte)? I have purchased a collection of STAUB cast iron enamelled coccottes over many years (worth several thousands of dollars) and have never ever had a single issue with any of them. I love them. That said, I also own several Le Creuset items - but only stainless fry pans, saute pans and sauce pans. This thread interests me because I also own several De Buyer and Mauviel carbon steel pans and i'm wondering how SOLIDTEKNICS products could possibly be, well, better? For instance, my De Buyer pans alone seem to be a fraction of the price of some of the SOLIDTEKNICS products ... and come with lifetime guarantees too. And for the record, I would be blown away if anyone could show me ANY product that performed better (and looked better) than my beloved STAUB 28cm 6.7L Coccotte (https://static.petersofkensington.com.au/images/ProductImages/891859-Large.jpg). The pan touted by SOLIDTEKNICS above - https://www.solidteknics.com/noni6lRondeau - is a whopping 46cm wide! That is gigantic! Seriously, almost twice as wide as my big Staub at nearly a litre less capacity and nearly twice the price! Oh, and ALL my Staub gear has never required seasoning, will handle soap and water and is easy as pie to clean, dry and store on my shelves.

This is not intended to be a derogatory post towards SOLIDTEKNICS. Not at all. And i have read plenty about them for well over a year; they sound impressive and look quite sleek. I also don't need my arm twisted much to buy cookware - my kit is colossal - but i just can't see what ELSE i'm gonna get by leaning towards this (so-called) innovative design? Apart from being a one-piece design, i don't see what else has been invented here that companies like De Buyer and Mauviel, just to name a couple, have been doing for a VERY long time?

Solidteknics   DM

Hi Hotspur, we don't compare tend to focus on product comparison, though the innovation of our brand is the one-piece manufacturing process, therefore it eliminates the rivets, joins and screws, and they are Australian made using locally sourced iron. In relation to our 6L noni stainless steel pot, it's not just a pot, the lid is also world first and is a skillet-lid/baking/pizza tray too, again Australian made. Our stainless is specially made for us in Germany given Australia doesn' make stainless anymore though they are still made in Sydney.

If you are happy with your Staub products, that is wonderful, we aren't for everyone though hopefully, this gives you an insight into the manufacturer's we are committed to innovation, clean material, locally made, multi-functional, Australian and can cook you eggs on your stove in the morning and be thrown into your campfire for dinner later that night :)

Happy cooking!

idscratch
idscratch

I am interested in buying but concerned about the negative experiences. I would like to ask as seasoning is completely new to me if I do it wrong can I save the pan?

Ines

Sorry, not sure. I'd be interested to find out about resetting a pan as well. I haven't researched that yet.

Please know it is def not non-stick cookware like Teflon or similar, rather a low stick alternativewhich I find usually requires some oil or fat to prevent food sticking.

Ines

Much, much better than stainless steel

FLUMOXED
FLUMOXED

You really can't go wrong. Just follow the instructions, join the Facebook page where you can ask other users for tips, advice (and recipes), and try it. If it's not quite right, just do it again. Some people don't even bother seasoning, they just cook, cook, and cook some more and it basically seasons itself.

Adam K
Adam K

These pans are good but way overpriced. You are paying a premium for one piece construction. Apart from that there's nothing special about this pan compared to other carbon steel pans.

Solidteknics   DM

Hi @idscratch, you'll always find negative reviews for every product though equally and more so the positive reviews more than outweight them. As someone has suggested above, read through our website solidteknics.com look over our Facebook page external link  and join our Facebook group external link  - you'll see everyday cooks, cooking everyday food and sharing their experiences. Thank you in advance for your support and happy cooking!

Daniel
Daniel

I did it wrong the first time (too thick coatings of oil) so it started peeling off. I just stripped it with oven cleaner and started again. I don't think there'd ever be a situation where you couldn't just reseason if you wanted to.

Solidteknics   DM

Exactly Daniel, the beauty of seasoned iron is it is forever renewable :)

Christine F
Christine F

How are these for making crepes, pancakes, fried eggs & omelettes?

v.good.

remember though, only as good as your seasoning on the pan.

Solidteknics   DM

Hi Christine, as Ines kindly replied, our pans can perform excellently for crepes, pancakes, eggs etc - it all comes down to the seasoning. We have very detailed seasoning instructions on our website if you are new to seasoned iron - external link  :)

Hello
just wondering if you have to season the bottom of the new satin skillet I have just brought

Matt Cash
Matt Cash

Hi Kim

I am assuming your talking about the cooking surface if so I would say yes and include the entire top surface you don’t need much basically wipe on the oil it cannot run, I would also run through the oven 3 to 4 times ( yes the prep time getting the pans seasoned is a mission but you won’t regret it ) personally I prefer rice bran oil or flaxseed oil rice bran is cheaper to purchase.

I hope that helps

pat
pat

Hi KIm,
As per instructions i seasoned inside and all outside of the pan in the oven using rice bran oil four times. Have only need to re season twice in 5 months after frying eggs. other than that i love the way it cooks everything.

Rob
Rob

How do I re-season my skillet after a ‘helpful’ house guest scoured most of it off?

Andy B.

I would scour the rest off and start again. I occasionally cook lamb with loads of lemon which removes most of the seasoning. I scrub the rest with steel wool and treat it as a new pan. It doesn't take long to repair the surface.

Hope this helps.

Jules
Jules

I have glass top electric cooktop. I’ve shy’ed away from my cast iron pan is it isn’t smooth on the bottom and will easily scratch the glass. Will this bottom scratch my glass top?

Andy B.

The pan is quite smooth on the base. After a period of use the base will probably be coated with burnt oils etc and will be fine for use on a ceramic cooktop. You just have to resist the temptation to scrub it off. I have been using the pan daily since I bought it and am about to invest in a couple more. They are fantastic. My five year old even uses it to make scrambled eggs and I don't have to worry about her scratching it.

Get an answer from our members and Solidteknics representatives