Solidteknics AUS-ION Cookware

Solidteknics AUS-ION Cookware Questions & Answers

13 questions from our users

how i know which type of cooker is multitasking and good for cooking?

How is it? Worth the money?

Sachin 100plus

I need a pressure cooker so i just found out from the Hundred plus https://www.100plusmall.com/category/pressure-cookers_77 How is it? Worth the money?

Red

Redasked

Interested in the lightning range but I cook on an electric cooktop?
How flat is the bottom? Will they be highly effective on an electric top or will I have issues with slight warping or concaving?

SOLIDteknicsSolidteknics

Hi Red, all of our pans are engineered with a concave to avoid warping - solidteknics.com/concave Our pans work with any heat source, we do recommend with electric stovetops, to heat slowly as you become familiar with the pan and its high conductivity. Thank you in advance for your support.

David

Davidasked

I have read some poor reviews about Aus Iron pans performance on induction stoves. Are these valid? Do the pans work as well as a spun steel pan?

SOLIDteknicsSolidteknics

Hi David, our pans are formed from one piece of pure Australian iron sheet - induction conducts perfectly well with iron as a general rule yet particularly well with Solidteknics given our pans are seamless, and are magnetic all over, rather than just magnetic layers in the base. The variable is the stovetop itself. Major variables not often considered are the size and layout of the cooking zones ie the location of the coils, and the controls. Pricing varies from a few hundred dollars to $4000, this gives you an idea of how they can vary. I trust this helps.

STEPHEN
STEPHEN

Hi David, I cook on gas myself, but those I know who use Solidteknics with induction (and there are many that do) love the performance of AusIon on induction. This topic comes up occasionally often with comments about what seems to be a big variable in the quality of induction stove appliances sold in domestic applications. But a poor performing appliance will affect the performance of any brand of cookware no matter how good it is. Solidteknics cookware would likely perform better than most I would suspect due to its construction and materials used.

"I NEEd A SOUTH INDIAN COOKWARE

I CAME ACROSS THIS FROM hundredplus.in

How is it?
Worth the money?
"

KBMasked

Would this type of cookware be suitable for all types of cooking? For instance: tomatoes shouldn’t be cooked in cast iron - would they be ok to cook in these pots and pans??

SOLIDteknicsSolidteknics

Hi KBM, good question! Our AUS-ION pans are made from clean Australian iron so season and perform similarly to cast iron. Whilst you can cook anything in them, acidic foods like tomato can erode the seasoning (though always an easy fix through more seasoning!). We recommend our Noni range for all acidic foods, slow cooking, curries etc. Noni is made from ferritic, non nickel stainless steel so no seasoning required and super low maintenance: https://www.solidteknics.com/noni-seamless-ferritic-stainless-steel/ <3

KBM

That’s great advice thank you!

Plo

Ploasked

I am needing to replace my damaged Le Creuset pot and am contemplating whether to go with Le Creuset again or Solidteknics. What Solidteknics pot would be an equivalent of the Le Creuset pot, and how do they compare?

SOLIDteknicsSolidteknics

Hi Plo, we don't tend to compare products, though I can guide you on Solidteknics, with the end decision being yours. This pot is 6L's https://www.solidteknics.com/noni6lRondeau, that said, I am not certain which Le Creuset pot you had in mind.

Our lids are unique - each skillet-lid alone is a high-performance shallow skillet, crepe pan, baking tray, or griddle for all kinds of frying and grilling. Each Solidteknics pan is engraved with the month and year of manufacture for heirloom collectibility.

Other features:

100% made in Australia (Sydney)
World-first 1-piece pan
No rivets, welds, screws = indestructible
The lid is multi-functional.
Multi-century warranty
Date stamped for future generations
Vented handle dissipates heat
Exotic small batch ferritic (non-nickel) stainless steel
Solid (non-clad) 3mm thick
Fast and even conduction on all heat sources

Either way, thank you for considering Solidteknics.

Hotspur
Hotspur

Hi Plo,
I'm intrigued to know what happened to your Le Creuset pot (I assume you are referring to a cast iron enamelled pot/dutch oven/coccotte)? I have purchased a collection of STAUB cast iron enamelled coccottes over many years (worth several thousands of dollars) and have never ever had a single issue with any of them. I love them. That said, I also own several Le Creuset items - but only stainless fry pans, saute pans and sauce pans. This thread interests me because I also own several De Buyer and Mauviel carbon steel pans and i'm wondering how SOLIDTEKNICS products could possibly be, well, better? For instance, my De Buyer pans alone seem to be a fraction of the price of some of the SOLIDTEKNICS products ... and come with lifetime guarantees too. And for the record, I would be blown away if anyone could show me ANY product that performed better (and looked better) than my beloved STAUB 28cm 6.7L Coccotte (https://static.petersofkensington.com.au/images/ProductImages/891859-Large.jpg). The pan touted by SOLIDTEKNICS above - https://www.solidteknics.com/noni6lRondeau - is a whopping 46cm wide! That is gigantic! Seriously, almost twice as wide as my big Staub at nearly a litre less capacity and nearly twice the price! Oh, and ALL my Staub gear has never required seasoning, will handle soap and water and is easy as pie to clean, dry and store on my shelves.

This is not intended to be a derogatory post towards SOLIDTEKNICS. Not at all. And i have read plenty about them for well over a year; they sound impressive and look quite sleek. I also don't need my arm twisted much to buy cookware - my kit is colossal - but i just can't see what ELSE i'm gonna get by leaning towards this (so-called) innovative design? Apart from being a one-piece design, i don't see what else has been invented here that companies like De Buyer and Mauviel, just to name a couple, have been doing for a VERY long time?

SOLIDteknicsSolidteknics

Hi Hotspur, we don't compare tend to focus on product comparison, though the innovation of our brand is the one-piece manufacturing process, therefore it eliminates the rivets, joins and screws, and they are Australian made using locally sourced iron. In relation to our 6L noni stainless steel pot, it's not just a pot, the lid is also world first and is a skillet-lid/baking/pizza tray too, again Australian made. Our stainless is specially made for us in Germany given Australia doesn' make stainless anymore though they are still made in Sydney.

If you are happy with your Staub products, that is wonderful, we aren't for everyone though hopefully, this gives you an insight into the manufacturer's we are committed to innovation, clean material, locally made, multi-functional, Australian and can cook you eggs on your stove in the morning and be thrown into your campfire for dinner later that night :)

Happy cooking!

idscratch

idscratchasked

I am interested in buying but concerned about the negative experiences. I would like to ask as seasoning is completely new to me if I do it wrong can I save the pan?

Ines

Sorry, not sure. I'd be interested to find out about resetting a pan as well. I haven't researched that yet.

Please know it is def not non-stick cookware like Teflon or similar, rather a low stick alternativewhich I find usually requires some oil or fat to prevent food sticking.

Ines

Much, much better than stainless steel

FLUMOXED
FLUMOXED

You really can't go wrong. Just follow the instructions, join the Facebook page where you can ask other users for tips, advice (and recipes), and try it. If it's not quite right, just do it again. Some people don't even bother seasoning, they just cook, cook, and cook some more and it basically seasons itself.

Christine F

Christine Fasked

How are these for making crepes, pancakes, fried eggs & omelettes?

v.good.

remember though, only as good as your seasoning on the pan.

SOLIDteknicsSolidteknics

Hi Christine, as Ines kindly replied, our pans can perform excellently for crepes, pancakes, eggs etc - it all comes down to the seasoning. We have very detailed seasoning instructions on our website if you are new to seasoned iron - https://www.solidteknics.com/ironcare :)

Kim

Kimasked

Hello
just wondering if you have to season the bottom of the new satin skillet I have just brought
Kim

Matt Cash
Matt Cash

Hi Kim

I am assuming your talking about the cooking surface if so I would say yes and include the entire top surface you don’t need much basically wipe on the oil it cannot run, I would also run through the oven 3 to 4 times ( yes the prep time getting the pans seasoned is a mission but you won’t regret it ) personally I prefer rice bran oil or flaxseed oil rice bran is cheaper to purchase.

I hope that helps

pat
pat

Hi KIm,
As per instructions i seasoned inside and all outside of the pan in the oven using rice bran oil four times. Have only need to re season twice in 5 months after frying eggs. other than that i love the way it cooks everything.

Rob

Robasked

How do I re-season my skillet after a ‘helpful’ house guest scoured most of it off?

Andy B.

I would scour the rest off and start again. I occasionally cook lamb with loads of lemon which removes most of the seasoning. I scrub the rest with steel wool and treat it as a new pan. It doesn't take long to repair the surface.
Hope this helps.

Jules

Julesasked

I have glass top electric cooktop. I’ve shy’ed away from my cast iron pan is it isn’t smooth on the bottom and will easily scratch the glass. Will this bottom scratch my glass top?

Andy B.

The pan is quite smooth on the base. After a period of use the base will probably be coated with burnt oils etc and will be fine for use on a ceramic cooktop. You just have to resist the temptation to scrub it off. I have been using the pan daily since I bought it and am about to invest in a couple more. They are fantastic. My five year old even uses it to make scrambled eggs and I don't have to worry about her scratching it.

Get an answer from our members and Solidteknics representatives