Stirling (Aldi) Designer Collection Espresso TK-1818R2A

Stirling (Aldi) Designer Collection Espresso TK-1818R2A

Ours lasted 8 months.

We were very happy with the coffees we made until it stopped working. Water leaked out from the whole top section and it no longer made steam, only hot water. Had to power off to stop the water flow. We were impressed with the 3 year warranty but it was very cheap ($149 at Aldi). A good machine for the price if you're lucky enough to get 3 years. ALDI happily gave us a full refund no problem, lucky we kept receipt & warranty card. It's our third espresso machine, we had 2 elcheapo Sunbeam ($200) machines before that & both lasted about 4 years. If you love good coffee do yourself a favour and spend your money on a better machine, you get what you pay for. We have now bought a $370 Breville Duo Temp Pro (that was luckily discounted at Good Guys this week) and have been impressed by the coffee we've made so far.

Attracted by the 3years warranty but not great

I was seduced by the 3years warranty expecting higher quality of the product.
The first disappointment is the shots are to be controlled manually.
I have only used the steaming once.
The second is the amount of water flowing directly in water collector that gets full after making 3coffees.
On the positive coffees taste good.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Steam button doesn't work

I wish I had read the reviews before buying this. Makes coffee just fine, but oh, the PROBLEMS when trying to heat and froth milk. First, the steam/hot water button doesn't work - won't stay down so you can't get steam unless you hold it down. And it's doing something whacky with the heating. Machine heats up, heating light turns off. Great. Makes coffee. Great. Try and steam milk - heating light comes back on again, and steamer works for maybe a few seconds then stops. Mostly what I end up getting is think milk because it is pumping water into it and not much steam. This is going back to Aldi after two uses. This is not user error, either, I have used many other machines in the past and am well used to the process.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Leaks like a sieve!

I don't use it very often probably a couple of times a week. Its dripping water through the group head as others have said. I rang the helpline to order a gasket, but according to the callcentre they don't know if they have any and they will put my request through to a 'higher authority' and call me back in a few days. Not sure why they wouldn't stock a consumable item like that. Looks like it will probably end up in the bin.

Absolute Disaster

Have issues from day one....coffee taste was not good, so mostly use my capsular machine for coffee, and the Sterling for frothing milk....
It worked ok for a short while, and is cleaned after each use, but it now leaks water, and doesn’t froth the milk only streams boiling water spluttering everywhere and diluting the milk, it is basically not workable..
The function dial is extremely hard to turn and is getting worse each day, definitely not something one could use with rheumatic problems
I love my Aldi sterling sewing machine and overlocker, but the coffee machine is another story !!! very very disappointing, have had to go back to my 8 year old Breville

Striling Coffee disaster

Bought the Stirling at Aldi initially it work well. It started leaking water after about 4 months. We followed the cleaning guidelines yet the leaking still continued and became worst. We have stopped using the machine. We not sure if it is worthwhile to approach Aldi about this faulty coffee machine.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

It's a Dud

Purchased Jan 18. Returned Aug 18 to Tempo Australia due to leaking clear water from front of group head. Just not good enough quality in this day and age. Dissappointing given the machine externally was of very good material quality, and whilst it worked produced great coffee. Nonetheless, I was given a full refund by Tempo Aust.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Stirling by name but poor quality

I have had mine for 1 year, in the last couple of weeks it began to leak,at first a few drops,now its leaking alot around the group head. I have also experienced the function dial being very stiff especially when changing from frothing milk to brewing coffee.It does brew the coffee well though.Extremely diasppointed,I guess you get what you pay for.I think Aldi should announce a recall on this product...

To good to be true

I purchased this as I love my coffee have been making coffees everyday and only had it 3 months, now has decided to just keep heating up and spewing water through the trip tray and won’t stop even when the dial is not engaged. Same with the frother it just keeps squirting water out. Unfortunately I’m gonna have to pay for a better quality and lucky Aldi have a 3 year warranty on it so will get my money back.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

great coffee on a budget

I got this on clearance for $100. Two of us used it daily for 2 months. We have just started using it again. So far we haven't had any issues. It makes a great coffee. More work than a pod machine but worth the hassle. I did find that I had to remove the optional attachment on the milk frother to be able to heat the milk enough before it frothed to much

I'm gutted!

I'm gutted! Bought this machine in April and I have LOVED it! Easy to clean etc. But dammit.... the little blighter just threw a hissy fit and won't switch off with the front dial. Spewing water all over my kitchen bench as the reservoir just leaked until empty.
I'm packaging it up now and will be off to Aldi first thing in the morning.
Do not buy this machine!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

So many design faults, then it broke

We bought this Stilring Coffe Machine as a temporary replacement when our 12y-old Saeco workhorse broke. The stirling turned out to be more temporary than we bargained for. But before it broke (after abo t6 weeks of use) due what I presume was due to the water leaking iside teh machine and then and out through the large round selector knob, casuing it to short circuit when powered on.

But beside its terribly short lifespan, it also had some serious design flaws. Some of tehm include:
1 - The overflow: A strange rubber nozzle drips the excess pressure from the top into the drip tray. The problem is twofold: when pulling out the drip-tray to empty it, it is impossible to do it without a significan spill on your bench, and under the machine. This overflow discharges every time you stop a function, which brings me to the next point:
2 - The pressure-release: unused heated water will discharge as soon you put the function dial back to centre/zero. This means that every time you make one cup, you have to wait about 10-15 seconds for the water to heat up, when you are done, you loose the heated up water and have to wait again for a new lot of water to be heated up. This is also true for the steam - where it will take up to 20 seconds before any steam comes out. Again, as soon as you turn off, you loose all the pre-heated water, which discharges into the drip-tray. We never managed to make more than 3 coffees with frothed milk before havign to empty the drip tray.
3 - The steam pressure: needless to say that while it may well be 15bar pressure, the volume of steam that comes out of this machine makes the frothing of enough milk for 2 cups of coffee a painfully slow process.
4 - The group-head and coffe-grinds cup in the group head are designed in such a way that all the pressed out coffee is pushed through a single pinhole, within a double-floor design. After a few uses - and cleaning the pinhole with the supplied unblocking wire tool - the pressure still resulted in water leaking from the top seal for the group head and dripping over the group-head and handle into the cup below together with some coffee grinds, at the same time as the coffee would be coming out.

Overall I am stunned that anyone is allowed to sell a potentially hazardous, poorly designed and poorly built electrical device, irrespective of the price. Yes, it makes coffe and froths milk, albeit slowly, but it will also flood your kitchen bench, and be a potential electrical hazard.

This machine is utmost rubbish. It is a rebranded design of anotehr well known brand that sports teh same design and faults.

Good Coffee for 3 month only

We thought we had found the prefect Espresso machine, but the pump system failed after 3 month... God the money back but No coffee anymore.This seems to be a problem with all small espresso machines, So Aldi is no better than Sunbeam. Back to the drawing board to find the perfect Expresso machine.

Not working within 6 months

I purchased this machine approx 6 months ago and was very excited as I love Aldi. I keep the machine clean and in great condition the knob started getting very stiff & hard to turn, water started to leak for a few months now and I turned the machine on today and water just poured out everywhere & now not working at all.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great machine

Easy to use and clean. Taste will depend on the coffee you use. Just be aware that large coffee mugs will not fir under where the coffee comes out. Otherwise a great machine for the price. I bought this machine after seeing my daughters. I had one of the pod machines from Aldi and hardly used it, this one I use every day.

Make Reasonable Coffees

This is the second coffee machine I have owned apart from various stovetop ones and I think it does an OK job. Its not quite as good as I had hoped for but it will do. The extractions I get are not bad - could have more crema but I think I would need a machine capable of producing more steam pressure for that. The steam wand works but just. First some water comes out, then you wait a bit and you get steam. It looks quite decent in the kitchen and is easy to use. I dont think I would buy the same one again but it does work as promised.

Makes Decent Lattes

Makes a decent latte. It has an inbuilt steam wand which takes a bit of learning but once you get the hang of it you can get really nicely thickened milk and do great Lattes. The extraction of the coffee works well, its a little noisy but the results are OK. I wont say the best I have seen but pretty decent. I see a few people have had issues but I am not bothered as Aldo have a long guarantee period.

Aldi Coffee Machine TK- 1818R2A

Coffee was fine, milk frother worked well..
But the machine failed in less than 6 months, would not respond to the brew/steam switch at all, sometimes, at other times the switch would not turn off the pump, causing water to flood the bench.
Warranty is 3 years, but Tempo have so far failed to supply the return postage stickers that they claimed would be e-mailed in 24 hours. Been waiting two weeks for the stickers and two days for a reply to my follow up e-mail.
Warranty claim procedure is not reliable.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Pleased to report my refund was deposited to my account (unannounced) without any fuss after Tempo mailed the e-parcel labels.

Water Flowing Out Of Tank

I’ve had this machine for around 2 or 3 weeks now, and was so far very happy with it. However, I went to use it today and when I turned it on to heat, all the water from the full tank flowed out into the bottom tray, all in about 30 seconds. I refilled and repeated after emptying and reattaching numerous times, yet it continued to do it every time the machine was turned on. Has anyone else experienced this, or knows what could be wrong?
Before today, I had been quite impressed, considering the price and that it was from Aldi. My expectations weren’t high, but having it break after only a few weeks is a bit disappointing.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Ohhh noooo you need tiny cups to fit under

Seemed to be ok, but none of my cups fit under !!! Grrr.
Used zarraffa coffee . I did have a small glass . Machine worked ok and coffee tasted fine. But quite annoying I have to go buy small cups. We like a mugs of coffee
Seems easy to use and clean . So far.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

As water starts escaping from the gap between the brew head gasket seal and the ring of the porta filter, it gets inside the collecting cup and thereby weakens the coffee strength as well reduced creama, I want to replace the gasket to see if it stops the leak. My question is where can I buy the accessory for Aldi Stirling coffer machine? Many thanks Peter
Same problem. Would also like to replace the gasket to see if this fixes the problem and would like to know where I can buy this gasket. MalcolmI replaced the gasket seal but it did not completely stop the leak on my Aldi Sterling Designer Collection machine. Some water still escaped over the portafilter wall. But it may be different in your case. We have had our espresso since August 2017. The gasket seal only costs $7.5 so it may be worth a try. Here are the details: Part number: MS620342 Seller: Ellis Electrical, 14 Gladstone Rd, Dandenong, Vic. 3175 Phone: 03 9791 1486 (They also have an online shop on eBay) Preps: I had to turn the espresso machine upside down to remove the gasket ring, brought to the shop for a perfect match. Get some Food-Safe Tap Lubricant (from Bunnings) and apply it to the new seal when putting it in. Good luck.

Hi brought the Stirling espresso machine for my wife as a Christmas gift while it’s fine in every aspect the water flows through the coffee terribly slow and each time (waiting 30 seconds plus) the coffee handle is released it has pressure build up and explodes sending wet ground coffee everywhere. Definitely not needing de-scaling nor is te coffee ground too coarse etc. we have the receipt of purchase will Aldi return a full refund? Kind Regards Mr Blair Callaghan
I believe Aldi will try to replace or reimburse it at their discretion according to the warranty term (3years).I returned mine to Aldi and got a refund for the full cost.

Hi I only purchased the ALDI Coffee machine a few months ago and the turning knob is stiff and now it’s leaking water everywhere and this morning not working at all. I can not find my receipt. Is there anything that I can do?
I have sent my machine back to Tempo as a warranty claim. Search internet for Aldi Warranty Claims and you should be able to find the instructions for a claim. If you don't have your EFTPOS docket, you might have to estimate the date of purchase, but in any case Tempo will give you a statutory declaration to complete. The serial number and model number will be on the machine. My claim is taking a long time to process as the e-parcel labels they sent by e-mail never arrived at my inbox, and they had to post them to me. I had a similar fault as yours, no response to control knob, and water leaks. Good luck!Oh thank you and I am returning the machine back to ALDI. Possibly we both purchased a faulty batch!

Designer Collection Espresso TK-1818R2A