Stirling (Aldi) Portable Fridge/Freezer 40 Litre

Stirling (Aldi) Portable Fridge/Freezer 40 Litre

See the Best Portable Fridges / Freezers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

No problems

I bought this fridge couple of years ago. Used it on several trips, and so far quite happy with it. Works well, drops the temperature fairly quickly. In retrospect it is a little too small for my purposes (hunting), but there is nothing wrong with it so far.

Purchased in July 2017 at ALDI.

Going Great So Far...

I purchased the 40L fridge in September of 2016 pre-Fraser island trip. It was great for the 5 days on Fraser and many camping trips after as well. It lives in the 4WD most of the time (but not powered) when needed I put it on 240v to chill it and it gets down to 2c in about 30 minutes.
Just came back from a weekend up at Teewah and the temps were in the 30's, the fridge was fine at 2c and keep the essentials good and cold.
At $400-500 the fridge represents good value and I may buy another when this one craps out. Wait and see I guess, as $500 for 5 years is near the cost of the "reliable" brands that you may not get 10 years out of anyway IMHO.

Purchased in September 2016 at ALDI for $499.00.

Adventureridge 41l Fridge Freezer

I purchased the latest Nov 2018 offering from Aldi for my 6.5m Trailer Yacht. After a week of frustration getting constant E1 and E2 errors I decided to do as the install manual said...connect directly to the battery. After doing this the unit is working perfectly. The mistake i made was to connect via the 12v smart control panel in the boat. I surmise that the fridge control chip and the boat panel were incompatable hence the problems i saw.

Purchased in November 2018 at ALDI for $499.00.

Not good

Use as a camping fridge with our 4 WD. Works on DC but on battery, the Stirling fridge doesn't hold the temp for very long at all with a full battery, better off with an Eski. Sorry, but true. Doesn't seem to work at all well on camping trips away from electricity, within hours doing its own thing, even when set on Lo and 3 degrees C. I have really tried to get the thing working/ talked to people and now gone on the net. We are in the process of taking it back, have 2 year warranty. We don't want it fixed, as will not last.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

efficient cooler

Have used it on an off for the last year and it works really well, both via power AC and car DC connection. Mostly used it as a refrigerator and not freezer. Decent space. On empty it takes about 1.5 hours to get below 0 degrees, recommended that you pack the unit with your cold goods and cool over-night before you travel the next day with your foods/drinks.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Returned mine yesterday very disappointed

Wasn’t keeping food cold had to put it on -3 to get a little bit of coldness and even then temperature was fluctuating very disappointed I love the door How it open both ends and take it completely off. I think I bought the lemon one.
I asked Aldi if they had any other returns and they did but others haven’t come back so I picked the wrong box

Date PurchasedMay 2018

A Dud

Bailed up after 6 trips & 3 years use. Agent fixed it up with non genuine parts as no makers parts available, though he told me the fridge wouldn't be able to be repaired again. Waster of my time & money. Should have known better than to buy from Aldi.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Have used twice on camping trips

The works well. We have it set up on a deep cycle battery when camping and has worked wonderfully. No issues. The range of the thermostat appears to go from 1C to 6C but put a digital thermometer inside and stays pretty consistent around 4C which is what I am aiming at.

Would recommend as a it is at the lower end of pricing and works as well as the upper priced end of town.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Lemon

Very dissapointed in my stirling, used 3 times fof 3 day campimg trips and it wont hold the temp got up to25 degrees had it fixed got the new house battery tested and now used it again for Easter, n doing the same thing am sick of throwing food away !! Am getting my money back

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great for camping

This 40litre portable fridge freezer is amazing. I can store meats other foods and drinks at the same time and keep it’s cool for a very long time. Food does not go off as it’s quite durable sturdy as well as easy to transport anywhere. We always take this with us to camp and picnic and can definitely relay on this product. Well worth it.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Very dependable

It has the same German compressor as many other brands. Very dependable. We have just used it for 8 weeks non-stop around the continent, and had no problems whatsoever. We've owned it for 2-3 years now. Good value for money. To the person who gave it 1-star because they lost their powercord. It is not Aldi Stirling's fault you lost it! Just go to your local electronics or camping store and buy a new one. It is just a standard portable fridge powercord!

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Stirling 40L Portable Fridge / Freezer

I had been looking for a Portable Fridge / Freezer for sometime but not having a spare $1200 I had been holding off. Waeco was expensive and Engel more so. Many others have poor reviews.
I have only just purchased the Stirling from Aldi and have so far been very impressed. i have run it for 3 days off a very poor Ute battery - not charging it at all and it stayed very cold. I managed to freeze a bottle of wine while running it at the lowest setting on the last heatwave in Brisbane - getting it down to -22 deg.
It comes with a 240V lead and a 12Vdc cigarette lighter lead. The 240V appliance lead is interchangeable with a computer power lead.
It has a low medium and high power use which I only took any notice of after running it for a day. It got to temp ok on this setting.
The best encouragement was passing a guy on the escalator after purchasing it and he said he's had his for over 18 months and is very pleased with it. Selling for $499 I'm giving ALDI a massive high 5 for looking after their customers with quality products for an affordable price. Hoping it goes the distance.

Back up support ???

Only as good as your backup support.
It won't work if you can't source replacement parts.
Lost the 12v lead, emailed for some help on availability of replacement parts from Stirling Appliances answer as follows :
Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not have information in regards to inventory of retailers.

The only thing we can suggest would be to contact the local retailers.

As it is an Aldi product, the items we have with them are usually special sales, and inventory cannot be guaranteed. These products will only be sold through Aldi, not online.

Thank you.

what a great deal.

Very good product, the accessories and fridge cover are top quality, plus it is half the price of others, and sorry to say that, the quality of Stirling is lot more superior . But I just bought the last one in the store, good luck for you to find one in aldi .

Goooooood ;)

The Stirling (Aldi) portable Fridge/Freezer 40 litre is one of the best portable storage ever! The Stirling (Aldi) portable Fridge/Freezer 40 litre is very light itself and somewhat lighter to carry than holding the items i put in the Stirling (Aldi) portable Fridge/Freezer 40 litre. Overall, The Stirling (Aldi) portable Fridge/Freezer 40 litre is a great portable and i reccomend buying it!

Date PurchasedMar 2014

i am happy with my stirling..installed on my yacht ..now about to buy a second one..Alan A

it has replaced my engel on the yacht ..now i will have one as freezer and one as fridge.beats buying a bag of ice every weekend.wired up to the four gel batteries and charged by four solar panels and a wind generator...also can adapt to a sinewave 240 volt generator..

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Excellent for the price

I've had mine for just over a month. It ran for 2 weeks straight at 4 degrees including being hooked up to a 105ah battery in my ute for a camping trip and it's worked a treat.

The only negatives so far:

1. The transit cover seems largely ornamental and I doubt it would offer any insulating properties like the competition

2. As has been reviewed the transit cover does get a bit caught on the lid when closing

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Happy Camper.

For $450 I don't think you would get a better fridge. Mine runs on a 100amp hour battery charged by a 160 watt solar panel and has run constantly on 0 degrees since just after xmas. It draws very little power compared to my 100l Evakool but is a bit small for extended camping. Best to have 2 one fridge and one freezer.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Fridge for all

its affordable & made the same as the other types, I have 2 of them 1 used as a freezer and the other as a fridge.
Control is easy to set and read.
I have seen the exact same fridge with different branding for $899 so save yourself the money and buy this one.
The only better designed fridge(compressor) is the Engel but the 40 ltr fridge is $1375 AU .So at $499 Au i can nearly buy 3 stirling 40ltr fridges.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Well worth every cent

I had an Engle fridge/freezer prior to buying my Stirling. Engle was a great fridge but couldn't justify spending the money again for a higher up the ladder brand.

I bought the Stirling fridge/freezer from Aldi and it has been an absolute ripper! Never had an issue and works a treat. We use ours constantly in the back of the 4x4. Camping trips, day trips, groceries etc
If they come on sale again I'd buy a second one

Date PurchasedOct 2016