Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

See the Best Modems in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Ease of Setup
  • Wi-Fi Range
  • Reliability
  • Number of Connected Devices 6.263 devices

Richard C.

Richard C.Central West, NSW

Very impressive, modern modem.

Telstra provided this modem as a free replacement when the old one stopped working, probably because of ADSL line quality deterioration. In my opinion, they offered the new modem instead of fixing the line. Anyway, the new modem is extremely good. It synced on the existing line and speed was good. Wifi is very good throughout the house. The 4G backup is also very good but too slow to use instead of the fixed line service.
No problem with placement of status lights .. there is one on the front that changes colour if there's any problem.
Overall, a first-class, modern product.

Purchased in December 2019.

wombat2537

wombat2537South-Eastern Region, NSW

Terrible design

Forget the performance and the rest, who would design a modem with the all the status lights on the back face where the leads are plugged in! Aren't those the lights one wants to see when we are checking the status?
And where is the on/off switch? Is it the WiFi switch?
Maybe the Gen 3 will return to a sensible design.

ljwilson

ljwilson

Similar drop outs and loading of pages

Purchased in October 2019 for $299.00.

linajane

linajaneSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Don't bother with Telstra it's not worth the hassle when you have problems!!

Purchased in January 2018 at Telstra for $69.00.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices

had enough

had enough

Software by script kiddies?

A replacement modem for a faulty DJA0230 was installed today. Shock! Horror! It will not permit you to use any other DDNS site except that dictated to you by Telstra! There is a very limited list of DDNS sites.
To add an additional dollop of salt to this wound, this new LH1000 modem cannot even handle simple NAT loopback. Something that has been complained about since its release -over many firmware releases ago!

Purchased in November 2019.

Reliability

Bad customer service and not happy

Customer assistant agreed $200 including 1 month free and modem will be free and connection will be free while we submitted our application and then $90 will be started and then i applied and after 15 days received an email that you have not paid $300 yet. I called then to the CS and asked what is this $300 for and told that i was never informed that i had to pay $300. She only said " I apologies for this" what a crap customer service they say something else and charge something else.

Big name but bad service. I will not recommend it to anyone they will charge your money not provide what promised.

Such a big disappointment.

Techsavvy

TechsavvySydney

Great modem

I got this modem for free when I signed up for Telstra and it blows my old TP-link VR500 out of the water. The reception is great. I have full coverage across my 28sq house while I had to use an extender with my old modem. The tried the 4g backup feature by unplugging the phone line and I got 2mbps which is not too bad. that's enough for browsing the internet and doing emergency tasks. Overall I'm extremely happy with it.

Purchased in September 2019.

joseph

josephSydney, NSW

Much better than their other routers

Quite good for Telstra, its been much better than their other models they give out with their plans. I like the SIM card feature which give you access to the internet whilst they connect the NBN

Purchased in September 2019 for $240.00.

Number of Connected Devices 2 devices

maria marcosSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst service and customer service ever experience

Facts modern was delivered 16/8/2019 no yet connected
Why ?I don’t know because when I call or live chat no one can tell me why is not connected.
My experience when I called twice is both people sounds like they were on the middle of Bombay the noise was terrible plus the person had a very strong accent which makes it difficult to communicate after being put on hold I was disconnected.
Is now more than a month no nbn .
I am afraid all providers could be as complicated and unreliable as Telstra.
I have put a complaint to the communications ombudsman.
MM

Purchased in August 2019.

Scott T.

Scott T.South East Queensland, QLD

Network and wireless issues.

When we started using the Gen2 modem we had connectivity issues. Streaming on the smart TV often produced error messages with Netflix, Stan, SBS, Iview and others. Chromecast would rarely work at all. After resetting everything Chromecast would work for maybe a few hours. Next time you go to use it and there is a network error message. We persisted for 2 months before I bought a new tp-link modem. Straight away everything worked. Chromecast has not dropped out since. We once owned a t-hub which was another telstra product with many problems. Now the telstra modem can join that list. I won't rely on a telstra product ever again. All problems solved when the telstra modem was removed.

ISPTelstra Broadband (BigPond)

Brian Howard

Brian HowardSydney, NSW

Better than Expected. Happy Camper!

Purchased in December 2018 at Telstra Direct.

Panders0

Panders0Perth, WA

Clean and simple design

Quite satisfied with this modem, very simple to set up as there are much fewer ports to have to understand. Single light with multiple hues to work out if connected/disconnected/using 3G wireless. Only issue I have is that our brother printer won’t recognise the new network.

Purchased in July 2019 at Telstra.

Caroline Norval

Caroline NorvalWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

works well - not badly priced

purchased this for our air b and b unit where we needed there to be regular wifi with a quality modem that worked all the time. we have not had any issues with this modem. it is easy to set up and stays connected without any issues. I was a bit annoyed by the price of $300 for the modem and then the 'set up free' (as it was a new building) of another $300 and nearly bailed to a cheaper provider but I was concerned about using another provider as I've always used Telstra and being an air b and b unit I needed someone that I knew I could rely on.

Purchased in August 2019 for $300.00.

Dan M.

Dan M.Sydney, NSW

Worst Modem ever used

Gone back to original modem, continuess wi fi drop outs, slow web page loading, all wi fi controlled device via network are lagging when previously flawless..So glad I'm not under contract and stuck with this modem. it's is a disaster.

Purchased in July 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices
Andrew

AndrewSouth East Queensland, QLD

parental controls a step backward

Easy to set up which is nice. The Parental control feature of the Gen 2 is a step back. Being able to enter specific times is nice but with the Sagemcom was able to control each individual day's wifi access time. With the Gen 2 can’t do that. Come on Telstra in this era of trying to help kids limit their internet usage any feature which can help parents is a plus. If the Gen 2 was able to specify each day individually i'd be a fan. Have gone back to using my Sagemcom.

Purchased in July 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 10 devices
Iain M.

Iain M.Sydney, NSW

The reality Vs the promise. A very different experience...

Purchased in February 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 20 devices

harry71

harry71

The worst modem on the market !

The television advertising of this product is extremely misleading due to the fact the backup feature of ulitilising the mobile network will only operate for a couple of days. After which Telstra deliberately slow your download speed considerably.
Another negative is the excessive electricity this modem consumes. I am an electrical engineer and performed a number of tests on the unit and in comparison to other modems on the market its current draw is extreme. If you are concerned about the size of your electricity bill then I would not buy this product. I would have thought more R and D would gave gone into it. Terrible.

Purchased in September 2018 at Telstra for $220.00.

Number of Connected Devices 2 devices

Alph Borris

Alph Borris

Decent job

Look, I’m not saying this is bad, but the quality is not what most modern modems should be able to achieve. The range is not that strong in my house so this may be objective. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this as there are better options, especially for the price.

Purchased in February 2016.

Kylie

KylieSydney, NSW

How does Telstra get away with this?

Purchased in June 2019 at None.

Number of Connected Devices 1 devices
ISPTelstra Broadband ADSL

Mark

MarkVictoria

Great Modem

Very happy with this modem, my previous telstra modem was ok but kept dropping out. This was replaced under warranty and works a treat. Great range throughout the house with very few drop outs. Very happy

Purchased in April 2019.

KKW

KKWasked

Where to plug in my landline phone cable into the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2?

Cinzia G.

Cinzia G.asked

Bad bad bad experiences with this modem. In the space of 8 months Ive had four replacements. Now my 2.4GHz is no longer showing; only equipment on 5GHz work despite all working yesterday. Guess what? Telstra tells me theres a problem with the modem; or so they think. Sending me another one!! Has anyone else had 2.4 drop out?

CalmBird99asked

Hello, i would like to know if anybody has much experience with disabling the 5GHz option of this router? Specifically in order to connect "smart" lighting products that will only work with 2.4GHz wifi. I understand this router has band steering which will combine both 2.4 and 5GHz, how can this be disabled? Has anybody successfully done this and then been able to connect smart products? Please let me know your exact process if possible!

Treads
Treads

Login into the modem by going to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser, In the top corner enter Admin as the User, and the password by default is Telstra. Then click the wifi tab, Look under the network name and uncheck the box for band steering. Now your modem will broadcast 2 separate networks one will have 5G in the name, and the other wont.

CalmBird99

Thanks for the reply Treads!

Get an answer from our members and Telstra representatives