Volkswagen Polo MK5.II 6R

Volkswagen Polo MK5.II 6R (2014-2017)

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Bought a lemon

Bought a 2012 VW Polo TDI ,had problems from day one ,the in car phone system did not work , was advised by the VW Dealer that it is unusual for that to fail , after doing some checks on line I found it a common fault I printed this out and handed to the service department , they told me that there is no fix for this at this time , , after about 15000 kms the DSG gear box failed ,had to have it towed to the dealer , was told by the dealer that they would have to get a gear box from Germany , about 5 weeks , they did arrange a hire car for that period ,when I got the car back Had issues with the electric steering , the A/C failed , the head lights flickered and was told by the service department that I had pulsating head lights load of rubbish , , at about 85000 kms the front hubs failed , needed replacing was told that I needed new tyres which I got , took back to dealer, same issues with hubs , at the end went to another dealer,will never ever by another VW

Purchased in September 2012 for $26,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

great car

great handling, fuel economy and overall quality. Highly recommend to everyone. Drive the car everyday to work and weekends. Great sound system. I am a older driver and have had many cars in my life. Best car i have owned. Not the fastest car around but I gets you there in style. You want a race car go to the race track.

Purchased in November 2016 at Southport vw for $19,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Love my Polo

This is a power, fast, compact car. So easy to park, but heaps of space inside. It is quiet to run, very economical on fuel and only serviced once a year. I have had no trouble with my Polo and any queries / problems have been addressed immediately by the service centre. Highly recommend the VW Polo and the VW brand

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Powerful Little Hatch

I bought this Polo at the start of 2017. Auto, comfortline Polo, and I was very surprised about the power and noise that comes out of this car. Quick off the line and low on fuel consumption. It has adaptive cruise control so the car basically drives itself on the highways. Would highly recommend

Great car

Purchased a new Comfortline Polo in October 2018 this year. Traded our 2014 Golf R wanting something more economical and less of a headache cost wise to service. I was a bit dubious at first but for a little car it has a bit of punch and we got it in the manual which makes it fun to drive. Easy to park, responsive, nice interior, doesn't seem as cramped as the older Polo generation/shapes and easy on the pocket. Overall happy with our purchase.

Engine Size1L
Date PurchasedOct 2018

Great first car

Great first car for a student! Love the fact that it came with a touch screen, reverse parking assistance, blueetooth and Apple Carplay-which is sucha hassle-free thing (you can access spotify, directions, Siri to make calls, send messages). Economical fuel consumption too and smooth steering! No problems so far, easy parking!

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Best small car

I've been looking for a small car with 5 seaters, modern look, less petrol consumption, solid, easy to drive, cheap service. And yes it is, VW Polo which ticks all my checklists. I've been driving everyday without any problem. The car is very easy to handle but still solid and safe on any type of road. I drove much on freeway and city. It never disappointed me a second. Just only use $60 per fortnight for the petrol. Still have my baby comfortably at the back and enjoy my driving at the front !!!

Date PurchasedMar 2014

No digital speed display and rattles

Rather than a normal digital speed, it has the Temperature in largest font in the middle, staring at my face all day. I have to look at the analog speedometer. I was told it can be changed until...they can't change it. Its a bloody design flaw. Even my dad's almost 10 years old Toyota Echo has a digital speed display.

This car's interior light design is also flawed, the lights are placed next to rear view mirror, not in the middle of the ceiling like other cars. If you sitting in the back seat during night time, drops something, good luck on finding it.

My steering wheels didn't come with control buttons like others. Brand new car started to have a weird rattling sound behind the dash, which they eventually fixed. Now my aircon starting to have sounds too. The radio sometimes hisses which my old car never had a problem. Don't like the only accept min 95 fuel either.
-- new update from Sept 2018 --
Front radio started having static noises, even when the radio is off. Have to book in for another repair, again.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

My Polo <3

I bought my first Polo 2 years ago and seriously to this day (touch wood), I had no issue with the car and it's extremely economical. I drive more than 400kms in a week and only use $35-$40 worth of fuel. I really recommend a vVolkswagen, whether it's a Polo or something else.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Very nice car

I am very happy with this car, it is small does not consume much fuel and it is easy to drive. The interiors are nice, despite the fact that is the entry level of VW. With one liter of 94 petrol I can drive for approximately 18km which overall is not too bad

BadgeClassic
Doors3
Date PurchasedJun 2014

Terrible, very disappointed

When I stop car it jerks, when I take off from standing position car jerks. Feels like seats coming forwards. When I'm coming out of a parking space, car will go very slow, then suddenly shoots forwards. Dangerous. Is this normal for this model. My mechanic says it is. Very unsatisfactory.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Good car !

Easy driving. Good for short haul drive. Fuel consumption is good too. Small and easy for 2 people commute. The car has many perks like bluetooth for mobile use, controls on the driving wheel which make it easy. Easy parking with reverse cameras. best price vehicle for the price. VW has a good name so I went with it.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Awesome small car!

Bought the POLO for my wife after HEAPS of research. The Polo came out tops so we took the plunge and bought new. Went for all options, Driver comfort package and very impressed. Love the once/year servicing ( every 10 months with the k's my wife does ). Fixed price servicing is good also. Very economical getting around 700 k's to the tank (around $40). One or two annoying rattles that should get sorted at next service. Now looking to upgrade to new model early this year.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Best car on the market and fuel efficient

This car is so smooth and quiet while driving.
I love how great the acceleration and breaks work with ease. It is no noisy at all and you barely hear the engine on.

The car is perfect size for city living and easy to park.

It fits a car seat comfortably and fits a small family. However would not suit ab obese family as space is quit small.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Zippy car

Very good and responsive car. Used to drive a honda civic and this car has changed my driving experience. Great engine for the size of the car.
Could do with better speakers. You'll need to pump at least unleaded 95 but I find a full tank usually lasts me for 2 weeks and I drive around ~650km for work.

BadgeGTI
Date PurchasedJan 2015

Perfect city car

Excellent excellent excellent! After months of research I purchased this. The look and feel is top notch given the price range. Android auto works great for those long drives. The sports mode on the car is exceptional. Howver the best is the fuel usage..a full tank covers around 700 km

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great car to drive

I purchased my polo in Janurary 2017, although the purchasing of the car was difficult (due to the dealership itself)
I have had no faults with the car what so ever. The driving experience is amazing, the sports setting is fantastic when you need to speed up quickly, there is very minimal noise when driving.
I picked this car because I love very simple interior design. The touch screen is a perfect size, Apple Play is fantastic although sometimes it doesn't work (not sure if because of my phone or not). What I dislike about the inside of the car though is there isn't an air setting for feet & face at the same time, that feature would've been fantastic. And when you turn your parker lights on, the dash doesn't light up which is annoying. I don't like having to turn my lights completely on to see the dash when it only just starts getting dark or you go under a tunnel.

The running costs are fantastic personally. Even when petrol is high, $25 will get me half a tank. And I have managed to get from Victoria to Adelaide on a full tank. When petrol is at a decent price, at most it'd cost me $45 to fill up my car (using 95 petrol)

Overall I think this car is perfect for people who are looking to buy their first car. It's easy to handle, running costs aren't too expensive and the safety features are fantastic.

Great little car

I purchased my polo in January this year and it has been a great little car so far, very small engine but when the turbo kicks in has more than enough power. Have had one fault with the A/C but once fixed under warranty hasn't been fine. It has the new Apple car play connectivity which I love, modern interior and super fuel efficient $59 to fill and I'm getting 2 weeks from a tank, very economical. One negative is the stop start engine feature, I turn this off every time I get in the car but that is just a personal preference. Overall very happy with my purchase.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great to drive. An absolute pain to own.

The Polo is good to drive - adequate power, good cornering, feels solid. I especially like the adaptive cruise control on a long trip. However, I could not recommend this car. The annoying and stupidly designed features render it just constantly annoying as an everyday car.

The car is too low at the front. In fact, the body is 35mm lower on the front suspension than on the back suspension. This gives the car a nose-down attitude and results in constant problems with scraping on driveways, road dips, etc. VW says this front-rear height difference is within specification, but it looks bad and causes these problems. One has to tackle driveway entrances, etc always at an angle to prevent grounding the front of the car.

The stop/start has to be turned off again every time you start the car. Why can't it just stay on or off as I set it? If I want it on I'll turn it on, if I want it off it should stay off. If you have forgotten to turn it off, and then get out to open a gate, it shuts down the car and you have to restart from scratch. Just stupid.

The incredibly irritating safety message on the screen that you have to acknowledge every time you start the car. The rear view mirror that's exactly at eye level, creating an enormous blindspot which has resulted in several near collisions at intersections. Rearview mirrors should be above the eyeline so as not to create a blindspot. Basic ergonomics. The DSG is clumsy also, but quite liveable.

Overall I am looking forward to a different car, once this one gets old enough to make the depreciation rate acceptable.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
I've sold it now, it was just intolerable in the long term. The incessant creaking of the driver's door seals in one's ears - dealer fix would improve it for about 3 or 4 days before it returned. The so-called full-sized spare which still has a speed restriction on it! Plus all the design and ownership problems above. The stupid stop/start was the worst of all and I would never buy another car with such a system that I could not turn off.

Not bad ~

The driving experience was very good the interior is not bad, but couple of months later the car engine start to have a really really loud sound when going down the hill. I thought it is normal and didn't really pay attention. UNTIL one day i realized my garage had a full leakage of my coolant. I went and get my car serviced and my radiator was broken. i was told that i am just very unlucky and it cost be a fortune to get it fixed. other than that the car is very cost effective to fun.

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Doors5

Hi Im thinking of getting a 2018 VW polo trendline could anyone that has a history with this car give me their opinion?
I have the new 2018 comfortline and to be honest it looks great and drives great, however it has had many issues. Car shut down once with 4 pages of fault codes, Aircon makes passenger seat vibrate. Random electric issues and rubbish stop start that cuts in way to early. I also have a 2018 Golf which is much better.

I am tossing up between a 2014 (MY15) Polo 77 tsi Comfortline autp asking $15K and a 2014 (MY15.5) Polo 81 Tsi Comfortline auto (asking $16.5K), both about 24k kms, and both are slightly negotiable on price. I test drove both and both felt great (but I am not a mechanic or car expert). The 81 TSI is slightly better optioned, and 6 months newer. Does anyone have any experience of, or advice about which would be the better value, more reliable, least problematic? Most of the comments on this website seem to be negative about Polo and yet I have many friends who have had great experiences (maybe they don't bother commenting when they're happy with the car!)
Which car to choose is difficult to answer as often it comes down to personal choice such as color, options etc.provided both cars are in similar good condition. I have not read anything that has been a major mechanical or other change in the Polo since I bought mine in DEC 2012. other than more features and/or options have been added such as blue-motion, updated sat nav etc. There are not many small cars that offers the comfort, power, economy and refinement of the polo. If you are still unsure which one to choose, then negotiate further until you get an amazing deal on one.Thanks for your input RalphM! As I'm discovering the used car market is quite a minefield.

Volkswagen Polo MK5.II 6R (2014-2017)
CategoryHatchbacks