Filter By:
  • 24 helpful votes

Excellent Customer Service & Support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2018

After an atrocious experience with iiNet I decided to move to MATE after hearing good things. So far they have lived up to the reputation - ordered the 50/20 package and with absolutely no hassle were connected and underway within 2 days. Really easy and simple to understand plans, plain and simple setup. Highly recommended!! Thanks MATE!

I'll be leaving a slightly different review for NBNco however - its an monopolistic business model that ISP's are bearing the responsibility for at both the reseller and consumer's expense.

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

Moved from TPG, best decision I ever made.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2018

The service from these guys has been top notch, I went through a very ugly drawn out battle with TPG to leave them (long story and not worth wasting the time to go over it all) I was on the XXL (100) top package with TPG and I was hitting 24 mbps max and quite often down to 12 mbps. After the NBN guy mentioned about how TPG buy a very small lane way in the network and ram way too many customers through it. I thought I would change it up.

Mate was appealing because a three key areas. Firstly the reviews on here were all really good, secondly no locked in contracts (flashbacks to phone calls for hours trying to get out of a contract with TPG) and lastly Australian call centres.

Really just on the no contracts alone, it’s worth a try.
Anyway they were really attentive and took many of my
Calls pestering them for updates. All really well received I was connected the day after they contacted me to say it was live.

Happy to say I’m on the mid package (50) I’m hitting 44 to 48 consistently. Same router as well, so just getting ripped with TPG.

I can’t recommend them highly enough! I’m going to try the 100 package and I’ll be sure to update on speeds.

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

"MATE" do yourself a favor and connect to the net with mate

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

Due to big problems with one big provider then getting lied to by another ii looked at other smaller providers come across"mate" went by some reviews and connected up. Customer support and simple plans not contracts, do yourself a favor and give them a go. You'll never look back.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Ford,

Thanks for giving us a go and we couldn't be happier that you have had a great experience!

Kalamunda

• 5 comments
  • 2 answers

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Could be improved but relatively seriously excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

VDSL NBN "Broadband" "Fibre to the Node". Rubbish. Nothing to do with Mate Communicate being excellent.
The Node is >1300m away, at the exchange. The copper wires rotted years ago. The ADSL Internet was unreliable; the NBN is worse. My NBN connection speed (sync) is 12,000 now; has been 21,000; not good enough for Quad Definition Netflix. Our Internet is r..s... compared with what it should be and could be.
The customer service from Mate Communicate, on the other hand, is better than OK. They're overworked because of the NBN/whomever 4th-world mean-spirited trick-the-customers cheap-and-nasty make-a-profit-at-any-cost attitude and behaviour of their supplier/s which would be running them off their feet. Yet they answer calls back promptly (no waiting; just leave a name-number) and take only a little while to understand the problems. There are no "45" minute bad-muzak waits and, better, they speak Real Australian!! No more "45" minute sessions of stupid questions because of routine copper-wire failures...At Last!
The little waving-of-"rights" thing is irrelevant because they try harder, having no contracts so they do well at least enough to keep customers who can/would go away (and their competition knows just how far it can push customers who don't know their rights and mostly can't/won't/don't fight anyway). The value of No Customer Contracts is huge. No hookup charges. No cost for changing speeds. Unlimited incl mobile-phones & home-phone $9 extra/month! It's true!

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi DavidGB, Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review, it is much appreciated! Unfortunately there are issues with FTTN services and the limitations on these services, but we are glad to... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Great customer service and fast connection

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

After moving house they connected me quickly, kept me informed at every step of the process and the internet connection is stable with constant download speeds at any time of the day.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Tjijs,

Very basic customer service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

I have been with Mate for a number of months, have had a few issues and find they act lime a shell company: just saying it's the NBN Co problem and tgey will raise a ticket.

The website and phone service is also very basic. Hard to reset forgotten passwords and basic phone back service.

I have an account with iinet in another property and find them much more grown up.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi James, Sorry to hear that you are unsatisfied with our service. If a network issue does arise we do not own any physical infrastructure, nor do we have our own technicians, so we do need to ra... read more »

Beaconsfield

Mad not to

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2018

I've used Mate for the last few years and couldn't be happier with the service received. Internet connected within a few days of ordering and the customer service is second to none. Australian based support who understand what you're talking about and vice versa.. I would recommend Mate to anyone looking for a new ISP.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Hobbsy,

MATE Team

Credit where credit is due

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Great customer and internet service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

FTTN connection. Really helpful. I was able to switch from Belong to Mate with minimal disruption to the service the following day. I was guided throughout the setup process to ensure that my router was correctly configured. I would recommend their service as the user isnt restricted by plans and best of all; no setup fees.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Josh,

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Super fast response, great service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

NBN, FTTP. It only takes them less than one day from received my order to activate my NBN service, and they replied my email without any delay, and everything is clear. Great service!

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi xiang,

Mate whats wrong?

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

I had a NBN 50 account transferred into a new name and though I cannot fault the timeframe in setting up this account after the cancellation of the original one, there was a lack of communication between sales and accounts which mucked up my billing cycle (which was important to me) I was promised a credit for the extra days I was billed twice but I have not seen any proof of that after 10 days.

I was also advised to change my port from u1 to u2 with this new account and this time around I am finding the connection suffers from buffering a lot more while using netflix, according to Netflix my speed is 13.97mbps on a N50 account, so I am not as impressed with Mate Communicate with the new account.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Oldfart L,

Sorry to hear that you have experienced issues.

Can you please advise your account number so we can check and advise ASAP?

MATE team

Erina, NSW

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

One of the best in the area

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2018

Online Account setup was seamless and easy.
Price is reasonable for what i get and in fact a bit cheaper than other big players in market.
Customer service was really helpful and polite. Resolved my issue quickly.
Would choose them for now as they offer best package.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Allen,

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Was great, now not so...

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2018

Signed up for the nbn50 plan. Great customer service and connection I had no troubles at all. For 2 weeks I was averaging 45mb/s during peak and no latency on the online games I play! Was very happy. 3 nights ago things changed, I was only getting 25mb/s during peak times and online gaming was unplayable. Tonight I'm actually getting 35mb/s but online gaming is still unplayable, latency is very bad and I constantly disconnect to the point where I'm feed up. Mate Communicate use Iprimus for the connection in my area so either they have downgraded my connection or they have screwed everyone in my town and maybe Sydney. Every other time of the day or night outside peak times I have had no issues with connectivity so I know its not my computer or the games I play and during peak times I can be the only user and all is not well (off peak I can have 5 devices connected and no issues). Have not called customer service due to this being the weekend and all so will try Monday if i find the time. Funny thing is I'm only writing this as I cannot do anything else.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Jason W, We are sorry to hear that you have recently been experiencing issues. We are disappointed that you have chosen to post a negative review before contacting our support team to assi... read more »

I work... long stupid hours with very patchy mobile coverage, this started last Friday night and has continued through too tonight. I'm not sure what you can do to pressure a bigger company into fi... read more »

MATE Communicate Official

Hi Jason W, If you work during our support hours then please email support@letsbemates.com.au with details of the issue so we can look into this. We use the Vocus network to provide our services ... read more »

• 3 helpful votes

These guys are good.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

Been with them for about a year now. For day dot their customer service has been excellent and the performance and reliability of their NBN service has been great. Good price, good service, good & reliable connection. Plus I called recently to query why a new price offer seemed better than my existing service (you know the old doesn't pay to be loyal adage) turns out I'd been upgraded from the 25 to 50 service for the same price as part of their recent offerings. So gist of that call was that they look after rather than exploit existing customers too. My only concern is that they accept an offer they can't refuse from a bigger provider and then it all goes south from there.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Neil T,

Glad to hear you are happy!

We can assure you we are here to stay :-)

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN Wireless

Dishonest about use of any modem

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2018

They say they can connect to most modems, but the truth is other companies modems are locked and cant be used. Just another ploy in Australia to hook people in. They took the months payment though yet i never got any internet from them. Thank goodness i wasn't on a contract. Thus be very careful of the words probably and most.... disappointing....that they were probably dishonest about hooking up to any existing modem.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Really!, We are sorry to hear that your BYO modem was locked and you are unable to use this modem with your service. As advised upon sign up, it is your responsibility to configure a BYO modem... read more »

Shepparton

• 15 helpful votes

Awasome customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2018

I joined Mate yesterday the nbn was activated in a half an hour Mate has the best Australian customer service this is the sort of service I like

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Matt,

MATE Team

Your welcome I’m all ways happy to give the best review you deserve this 100% awesome feedback

Hocking

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)

So far so good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 05, 2018

Signed up to the NBN50 plan and it was all connected and online within one business day. No problems or phone calls all done online. It's been a month and no problems with internet or speed so far. Love the fact that there are no extra charges on sign up and you are able to bring your own modem.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Anzel

Thanks for your feedback!

Glad to hear you are satisfied!

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN Wireless

honest review

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 05, 2018

Can't complain about the nbn internet service or the people I've dealt with over the phone. Only downside is its not 24hr online or telephone service.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Cherie,

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Best ISP (So far)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2018

We have ADSL 2+ in regional Vic. The setup was quick and easy as they took over from Spintel. We have had a few issues arise here and there but we have called and they have been fixed and one thing that got me was they even Appleseed for something they did unlike every other ISP out there.

Our connection is stable until around 6:30 pm at night then it slows but I am thinking that is more to do with the age of the line then Mates issue.

My partner and I would recommend Mate to any one that needs a fast and reliable ISP.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi FusionOz,

Hammond park

• 2 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Pleasure to deal with! Highly recommend

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2018

After a very bad experience with belong I decided to do my research and came across his great company. I was bit suspicious cause it seemed to be too good to be truth but I signed up anyway. I'm using their service for about a week and what a difference. Fast internet, no drop offs and when I called them to help me to set up my own modem it was sorted in no time. I signed up with the medium speed and there's no contract and no additional charges. Service was connected 3 days after requesting. Great job and keep it up guys :)

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Dorota,

MATE Team

No worries. Happy to give positive feedback and the company definitely deserves it :)

Melbourne

• 3 comments

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Terminate my service early due to their mistake and left me out of service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 30, 2018

In one word, they would charge you for their mistakes, stay away.
When I made my order I left a note with the day I want to be connected, but they made a mistake and activated my service on the day I made my order. I sent an email about this and thought we're agreed that my billing date will be counted from the date indicated in my note. But today as I was going to cancel my service, they said billing date should be the day they activated for me (4 days earlier than the date in my note). We didn't have agreed on a resolution, and they just sent me an email after contacting hour say my service will be terminated today!! (didn't reply my email before they off work, and didn't ask my opinion for cancellation). Now I have nowhere to find an ISP who could connect me in 4 hours, let along I paid full month price and only be allowed to use it for 26 days. Really terrible service! Would probably seek further approach for complaint.

I even recommend it to my friends at first, didn't realising they would become so ridiculous when you're going to disconnect. So regret.

Edit: customer service staff insists they had already offered good willing provide me days of internet when I didn't need it.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Lei, We have repeatedly advised that your bill cycle is the 27th of each month. You received an invoice on this date with the bill cycle. You emailed us on 28/03/2018 wanting to cancel your se... read more »

If my bill cycle starts every 27th, does that mean my last cycle is Feb 27th to March 27th? However I requested activation on March 2nd, and you admitted that's you mistake, so shouldn't I be connected untill April 2nd as I paid for a full month?

MATE Communicate Official

Hi Eli, Your bill cycle was the 27th of each month. This covers the period from 27th February - 26th March. You requested a connection date of 2nd March and we tried to time this as close as pos... read more »

1 of 32 pages