Filter By:

Armidale

• 4 answers
Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Both better than average and no service at all - read on...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2018

Mate are a friendly Australian company to deal with. At my country unit, where the NBN equipment was pre-existing, it was very easy to get connected. The service was mostly reliable but they have oversold their network and there are times every day when it is painful to try to use the internet. Just like being booked on an overloaded plane or bus, you're basically left in the lurch waiting for something to happen. On the bright side, if it was the bus or plane, you know you didn't get on and make other arrangements but with the internet you just watch the circle of death going around and around and wonder, WTH!!

Sadly the Mate Communicate service at the new home in Penrith is a very different story. We have made 7 return trips to Sydney, taken at least 7 days off work to go to be present for NBN works with a round trip of over 1 000 Km on each occasion. This has been going on for at least three months and the service is still not connected and working.

Value for money is difficult to judge - the deal certainly sounds good but trying to work this out is a minefield. It seems that it is impossible to check your actual usage with Mate through their portal (to be fair, there is a usage list, but there are so many entries - hourly? - that it is impossible to calculate this over the entire month.
There is the option to download the data as a CSV file but I have been unable to get the columns to line up and can't get Excel to add up the data). The total usage is not listed on the invoice. Most people have very little idea of what they are actually using. My comment is that it's not a bargain if you go to the all you can eat buffet and only have a dim sim and a bread roll.

In summary, the service to the existing connection was mostly fair and the customer service for this account has been better than average. It's great to talk to people that are easy to understand and enthusiastic and in Australia but DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME IF IT'S A NEW CONNECTION. We have given up on getting the NBN connected at the new house in Penrith. It has been a very expensive exercise costing at least $3 000 in travel, time off work, accommodation and living away expenses to still have no connection after 3 months.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Unhappy in Armidale,

MATE team

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTC (Fibre to the Curb)

No issues to speak of really

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2018

Since making the switch to NBN in July, Mate have proven to be reliable operators, with helpful local support and seamless change over from ADSL. My housemate streams movies during every waking hour of every day and there has been no problems with the connection. There are times (usually evening peak hours) where speeds have slowed down significantly, but I feel that is more of an NBN issue than Mate's service delivery. Overall, these guys haven't given me any reason to say a bad word about them. Would I recommend Mate Communicate to someone else? Most definitely!

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Mike,

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Great communication and clear instructions.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2018

I have been with Mate since September with no issues, no outages or speed problems etc
I rang this week as I couldn't remember how to add my network to a new device and the young man was very helpful and offered some good advice.
What a pleasure it was to talk to someone who was able to give clear instructions without sounding like a smart alec, from someone who is not so "techy". Keep up the good work.....

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Mrs S,

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Who knew unlimited internet had so many different charges

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2018

Every other month my bill went up by $10, started at June $39 then by the time I got to dec it was $69?! So within a 6 month period it went up by nearly half !! Save to say I have cancelled my adsl with mate and gone with a provider who doesn’t just put my bills up with no warning! Also very very slow adsl

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Nicole,

Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

Your bill would not have gone up so much unless your plan/products were changed.

The MATE team

I never changed anything. When I emailed about this issue you told me my bill had only gone up $10. My email is nikkimail@gmx.com if you would like to follow up on what has been said to me.

MATE Communicate Official

Hi Nicole, Thanks for confirming these details. We have looked into your account and can advise the following: You initially signed up for the city mates standalone plan on 5/05/2018 which at... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN Wireless

poor nbn service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2018

the mate nbn service has been nothing but problematic from it's inception - we have poor quality download speeds which, provide zero service to our office in the rear of our apartment. the speeds in our living room, where the nbn connection exists are slower than download speeds from my vodafone mobile phone (when i'm using the hotspotting service). in short, they've tried to help and when we test the service using an ethernet cable, the service is fine. unfortunately, my partner and i own devices (phones and laptops, smart tv) that use WIFI (like the rest of the planet!) this leads me to believe that the people at MATE are providing substandard routers to their customers. i'd like them to replace or upgrade the router to improve the service and speeds

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Nick, Thanks for your review. We can see that you are provisioned on an nbn 50 plan. You have complained about speeds on a few occasions, however, on one occasion you spoke to our support tea... read more »

We have never had download speeds of 39mbs via WiFi- are you out of your mind?! Moreover, your service is substandard and in this day and age - you are dreaming if you expect your customers to use... read more »

MATE Communicate Official

Hi Nick, You spoke to our support team on Apr 26th 2018 and performed a speed test over the phone - you received 39 Mbps download via Wi-Fi and 45Mbps download hardwired directly to the modem. T... read more »

maryborough

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Decent customer service with terrible speeds, especially during on peak times

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2018

I have been with inter node for quite some time and thought i would just try out mate to see how good their service was. I was keen on the idea of supporting a new growing ISP that seemed to actually care about the end user and they kind of do seem to care about the end user, in a way. However i told the support team multiple times that "with my previous provider i got 70 Mbps down and 27 Mbps upload speeds, stable with no drop outs. When i was first connected they were trying to provide me 70Mbps down and 27 Mbps up however the service would drop out repeatedly and slow down allot. After changing my to a "stability profile" they tried to provide 50 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up. I would get the 50mbps download speeds during off peak hours, but on peak hours my speed would drop to below 5Mbps and most of the time even doping out completely down to basically no speed at all. I waited 15 mints for a 100 MB download on steam. They seemed keen to help, asked for speed tests, tracert routes etc. i obliged their requests for a few days before deciding to ring up my previous service provider and paying to have them reconnect me. It took about an hour for re connection and after that my speeds were back to normal 70 down and 26 up. They will not give me a refund and i'm down about $200 due to also needing to pay for a re connection. I feel ripped off but i couldn't care less at this point and I'm happy to just have my stable connection back. I really hope they step up their game otherwise, i can see this company getting a bad reputation within the tech savvy community really fast.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Nicholas,

Sorry to hear this.

Can you please advise what your MATE account number was so we can look into this issue?

Not bad, but not great

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2018

The start of my plan with Mate was full of frustrations. NBN dropping out a lot, and although I know that's NBNCo's fault, I didn't feel that Mate were very attentive or gave any urgency to the issue. The main issue is the call centre I think, which opens early for Eastern states but won't open at that time for Perth, which would give us 3 extra hours of support.I suggested this but was met with a hundred reasons why it couldn't happen.

There were two significant dropouts, one of which meant we had no NBN for 7 days. To me this is unacceptable. All that was offered was credit back onto my plan for the days of no servce, but nothing for the inconvenience of having to use 4G off my phone, and nothing for any extra costs incurred as a result of doing so. They are a good value NBN provider but don't expect them to go above and beyond.

Since then, I probably haven;t had to call Mate for about 4 months if not a little bit more. The service has been pretty stable and so I can't complain. All I ever want is to get what I've paid for,

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Matt, Thanks for your review. We are glad to hear the service is now stable. We are disappointed to hear that you believe we do not go above and beyond for our customers, as we strive to d... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)

Fantastic ISP - Didn’t know there was such a thing!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2018

The connection is super reliable - usually I find that I would turn wifi off on my phone and use 4G as it’s generally quicker, but my connection at home with Mate is amazing. So quick and the team are super helpful whenever (if) there’s an issue. Really proactive with their messaging - sometimes I get texts to say there’s a service disruption and it’s being fixed, then another to say it’s resolved before I even noticed an issue! I have recommended to my friends and family and I will keep doing the same because these guys really are ya Mate. (See what I did there?

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Jake,

Kincumber

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Great communication about the process

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2018

At the moment we are new customers to Mate. The process of connecting with Mate for both NBN and a landline was very smooth. Excellent communication of what was happening and everything happened on time. Modem easy to set up and NBN instantly available on November 10. Landline number ported with no dramas on the date we were expecting. We have had several dropouts though and are finding the NBN connection very slow. Lots of wheels spinning on our devices!! We have yet to able to use Netflix or iView as the speed is too slow. I hope after reading my review Mate will run a speed check on our line and improve this service ASAP.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Margaret, Sorry to hear this. We can't see that you have contacted our support team to report any issues with your service? If you are experiencing issues, we will need to troubleshoot. We ha... read more »

Thankyou

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

There really is no better!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2018

We have never had issues with communication. If there is an outage, there are multiple messages to advise the status, expectations etc. As such, I have only had to communicate with someone maybe 3 times, each time, they treat you like a person, are responsive and provide solutions.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Sean,

The MATE team

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

pretty happy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

Love the fact that you can understand the people when you call with an enquiry and not get overseas call centre people trying to speak English. Only a couple of drop outs with connection in the last nine months where others have experienced more in the Adelaide area. At times it does get slow (even on the second tier level of internet speed).
Good value for a no lock in contract.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Rodney,

Very easy to work with

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

I have had Mate Communicate connected at two properties and on both occasions they delivered the connection as promised. On time on the day.
I am currently on an ADSL2+ connection and expected the worst but Mate are delivering a very stable, reliable connection. On the occasion there has been a problem their help desk has been easy to contact and to deal with.
A very competitive price for very good service. Very happy!

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi James,

Connection Issue

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

Nbn mate has been working quite decent for us but tonight it suddenly dropped out around 7pm and hasn't recovered since. Its been 4 hours now. We live in Perth city area, weather was fine and we restarted the modem and all our electronic devices multiple times but nada. No way to contact support team as everything stops after 7pm. Was planning a night in with partner after working long hours last few days.
Usually a happy customer but quite disappointed with the experience and lack of after hours support.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Sab,

Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

If you are experiencing issues please contact our support team on 1300 876 283 so we can investigate.

MATE team.

Reasonably Priced But Not The Best

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

I've been with Mate for a few months now. At first everything went well for approximately 6 weeks. Then, after this time, I noticed that between 4pm until around 11pm-1am, my Internet Download speed would slow to a crawl. I contacted Mate about this problem and after doing the tests they asked me to do, they said there was nothing wrong and that it must be something wrong with whatever I'm downloading. The problem with this is that it doesn't matter whether I'm using a phone or a PC, the Download speed drops from around 4-5MB/s to around 10-200KB/s max. This company is reasonably priced but if you also experience the dodgy speeds between these times, your not the only one. I've read on Whirlpool that others have had similar experiences to mine. You ask for help and they pass the blame on to the customer. Personally, I just think they're cheaping out on the amount of Bandwidth they're providing their users. Not enough Bandwidth and too many users per exchange and everyone in that area suffers. I do like their Month by Month payment system as your not locked into a contract you regret getting 6 months later but they really do need to figure out their Bandwidth issues before I can truly recommend them to someone else.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Shannon B,

Thanks for your review.

We would like to look into your speed issues. Can you please provide us with your account number?

The MATE team.

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

No issues or downtime. Enjoy if there is you can speak to a fellow helpful Australian on the phone.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

Extremely reliable service, been over 18 months with Mate and did not miss a beat. Nil, none drop outs. If there is a problem there is the comfort you can talk to a Australian on the end of a phone.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Kum Wah Ho,

Many thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback!

The MATE team

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTC (Fibre to the Curb)

Just works.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

Quiet happy overall. Just connected to NBN and MATE made it so easy to make the change over. Great Aussie company with Aussie support staff who are always courteous and helpful. 5 ***** to these guys.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Gail,

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Mate is probably the best option for anyone to get

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

When I moved in Australia (about 2 years ago) I was having so many issues with my provider that I was almost giving up having internet at home. After a deep research, I found Mate and read some reviews about it - Then I decided to try it out.

My first address had NBN - The speed was at max (50MBPS) and when I had connections problems, the support was 100% helpful and kind.
This is what every company needs to aim for! Regardless of what issue you're facing, their support is fantastic!

My second and third apartment unfortunately didn't have NBN. So until now I'm under ADSL connection, which is terrible and unstable. Sorting out with their support I could at least end up with some stability but since my building is far from the connection box, I don't get a great speed.

This problem is something that we can't easily solve but still, the support they provide is amazing.

You should definitely try :)

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Pedro,

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Promise alot, deliver below average

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

Try to use there own website on 4 attempt's, run time errors and page doesn't load, cant complete task to update payment info. Takes half an hour not 5 minutes.
Difficulty loading images and streaming simple movies on facebook or netflix during busy periods. 1 user max in the house streaming anything at any time.
They like to try and shift the blame onto the source of the movie (multiple different sources doesn't change the issue occurring), age of technology which is less than a year old in my case or anything else they can come up with. The house is only 8 years old so lines are new. It works fine most of the time but the package sizing/bandwidth shaping and bottle necking during peak times make the service fail.

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi James, Sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with your ADSL service. We can confirm a fault was logged with Telstra for your service, but no network fault was found. Our upstream provider can't ... read more »

Hi
Same copy and paste you gave me last time.

It doesn't mater where the content is, local or international.
Your own website unable to load was a new low.
Anyway, you supply a cheap service, why am I expecting so much.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

We had dropouts, but Mate Communicate booked an NBN technician immediately upon being notified (NBN guy was great too) and they came out and fixed it within a couple of days. Reliable and super fast service since then- Mate were really nice to deal with over the phone

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi Lucien,

South Fremantle

• 1 helpful vote

Reliable and responsive

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

Was with Westnet, but they were totally useless when we changed addresses and converted to NBN. Mate have been great - reliable, and you get to talk to a real person in Australia when you need help. They were really helpful with the whole NBN fiasco. We still get half the speed we want, but that's because of FTTN. Othewise, everything's been smooth since the change-over. Thanks, Mate!

Comments
MATE Communicate Official

Hi John,

Very glad to hear that we have provided a better experience than Westnet!

Many thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

1 of 70 pages