APIA Home Insurance

APIA Home Insurance Questions & Answers

23 questions from our users

Glenda H.

Glenda H.asked

Does my house insurance include the roof

Ian F

Ian Fasked

How do you justify a 33% increase in my premium this year when inflation is so low and building costs are not rising?

Richard G.

Richard G.asked

Do I need to activate my renewal

John Cavar

I would make sure I have good cover at all times home and contents
Peace of mind ...simples

maddo

maddoasked

you have our house valued for $510.700,had real estate price it ,because bedrooms small,,be lucky to get $400000,will be looking else where .

No kopish

Vijay Thakur

Vijay Thakurasked

Could you please ask somebody to ring me on 0894797057, I have some inquiry regarding Home and contents.

Heather S.

Heather S.asked

Water has escaped under my shower screen and done damage to an outside wall because the base of the shower screen was never siliconed properly. Am I covered because of faulty workmanship.

Fired Up

Are you able to contact them directly ?

Ramakrishnan Pillay

Ramakrishnan Pillayasked

Contact telephone number?

Johno
Johno

Whose telephine number?

Katherine
Katherine

Yes, whose telephone number? Not wise to give out personal numbers to strangers online.

Vicky

Vickyasked

Is your hot water system covered in your home insurance?

Fired Up

Not sure why you would want to know about my cover.

Colin S

Colin Sasked

My TV was burnt out in a power surge will apia cover it?

cjay127
cjay127

Good luck peoples

Senior

The apia are worst ...criminals behaviour to.seniors

Age

Ageasked

I had damage to our property in Feb 2017 Storm & at the time they said we needed new roof & big cost so told us it was maintence...so I looked into it & Apia said if you have had work in 10 yrs then we cover it...so found acc for work done 8 yrs ago but when i rang back they said i was told wrong information that we werent covered...They have after fighting the last yr fixed damage to the house but left it so long we got mould in. But now claim is nearly finished I’m wondering if I’m in the right & they should be replacing our roof as we had spent $16,000 in 2008 . They also sent roof guys out to tarp roof but they used screws into the roof & around roof to hold it down....yet they argued they didnt do that yet our roofer found the screws & i still have them. So do i have a leg to stand on before its too late, is spending that amount in the last 8yrs sufficient ....this was a huge storm....Need Help please ??

Ellen R

Ellen Rasked

Can anyone recommend a good House & Contents Insurer? Have been with Apia for 10 years but their huge price increases are just too much. I dont want cheap and nasty someone just fair and reasonable but dont want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Angela
Angela

Youi are fabulous!

melmac
melmac

had bad experience with apia, cancelled and went back with rac w.a. cheaper and better service.

Ert
Ert

We recently tried to find an alternative to our current GIO policy which we had realised was very expensive. We had recently switched from GIO for car insurance as we found the same deal for one-third of the price. However it seems to be a different matter for house and contents. The alterntiaves (like APIA) were not really cheaper but seemed very dodgy. But the research we did with other companies enabled us to go back to GIO and ask for a quote with a higher excess, which immediately brought the price down quite a lot; and they also gave us an additional discount. With house insurance you can't really afford to ake risks-the stakes are too high.

Age

Ageasked

We had that massive storm in Feb 2017 so 14 months ago & im still fighting them for replacing things, they moved us out as i finally hit the roof as mould was in all rooms,ceilings,cupboards,beds,curtains ect ect.....But when i asked about them replacing the roof...they said not if you havent had any maintenance done in 10yrs....so i rang back had the bill from 8yrs ago....told that person made a mistake & it wasnt covered.
But now at end of claim I’m questioning if i should look into this again?
Should they be replacing our roof? Help

Grace D

Grace Dasked

Please give me a quote for home and content for brend new house located in Bacchus Marsh Vic ,I am 76 years off age and have a car insured with you the house has got windows locks and security locks.

AJB
AJB

No insurer can give you a quote based on such scant information, you will need to go through the quote process.

Katasked

Does anyone know what dollar limit there is on jewelry stolen in a burglary? None of my jewelery was itemised but I am told APIA sets a value of $1,000 per item but they have a limit where this maxes out. Does anyone know the total. Thanks for helping.

Read the PDS Contents with flexible limits
$2,000 per item or set but not more than 20% of the contents sum insured in total unless otherwise agreed to by contacting APIA and listing the items worth more than that value

Senior

Apia are cheats stay away

Andrew M

Andrew Masked

Does APIA contents insurance cover damage to contents if a tall tree falls on the house under the following circumstances:

1 - the tree or a limb falls during a storm and

(a) the tree is in the yard of the property being insured; or
(b) the tree is in the yard of the neighbour's property;

2. the tree just falls or drops a big limb (which is what big Australian trees often do) without there being a storm and
(a) the tree is in the property owner's yard;
(b) the tree is in the neighbour's yard.

My uncle lives in a bushy suburb full of tall gum trees. He is worried that if one of the tall gum trees in his yard, or in the yard of a neighbour, crashes onto his property then he will not be insured.

Will the insurer try to avoid the claim by arguing that the tree "had not been maintained", and what evidence would be needed to prove the issue?

BFG

This is covered under IMPACT damage in the policy. read the Product Disclosure statement (PDS) to find out more

Andrew M

Andrew Masked

Will APIA home contents insurance cover a grand piano? I inherited a grand piano from my grandfather. I would like to insure it, but apparently it is worth around $100,000 - five times more than the rest of my contents ($20,000) put together. Does it have to be listed under "specified valuables", or can I just increase the value of my contents to $80,000?

BFG

Increase the total sum insure on your policy and ask them to note it down. Specified valuables is for contents taken away from the home and will cost you an arm and a leg to insure that item for outside the home. Get a valuation on the piano and email it to customerservice@apia.com.au with your name policy number DOB and address. adv that you'd like this noted on your policies contents list. and inc your contents sum insured accordingly

Michael Smith

I am trying to insure MY grand piano. It's a semi concert grand worth about $70,000.00 to replace. But most companies only offer 20 or 30% of the "total value of the contents sum insured on a single item" and I don't really understand that. what I DO understand is that the amount of my piano insurance is REDUCED! I just want my piano insured for its correct value - please... but it seems impossible. Can anyone assist here?

HowItReallyIsasked

Has anyone else had their claim processed for house and contents from the big Anzac Day storm? We lodged our claim the day after the storm after waiting three and a half hours on the phone. Had to pay our excess of $1,000 up front and APIA assessors are still to lodge their assessments (going on for 3 mths now) after my many hurry up calls. I have waited on the phone waiting for over half an hour to speak with someone many times and it's costing us so much extra to heat our home because we have cut out pieces from our ceiling to dry out the water. To make matters worse I have to listen to the sickening on hold message about APIA being voted Australia' No.1 insurance company (who are those people who voted?, I've never been asked!).

Alan W
Alan W

Try calling the ombudsman, or when you actually get through to the assessors, ask to talk to their boss. If that doesn't work send a letter to the Managing Director.

HowItReallyIs

Hooray we've finally been paid out... Thanks by mentioning the Financial Services Ombudsman's office and asking APIA for a reference to my complaint to pass along to them I got things settled by a great guy who works in their HO in Brisbane. Now the only thing is to try and get Tradies who will and can do the jobs, as it is now spring time and everyone is busy :) what will another couple of months matter I suppose.

Daniel C
Daniel C

We are still waiting to get the work done and its nearly november!

Margaret

Margaretasked

My elderly parents have house & content insurance with Apia. I have noticed dampness coming through their built in robe and I in the ensuite. I asked them how long this has been happening and they said they hadn't noticed it. Would their insurance cover this?

Steven Emsley
Steven Emsley

Well my experience with insurance companies is that if they can get out of paying up they will, if you put a claim in they will send out a person to inspect the roof for water ingress and if he thinks it’s been neglected and maintenance has not been adequately performed I think he would recommend the claim be disallowed on the grounds of building maintenance been neglected.

Tracey cook

I've been knocked back by them and I have extra coverage on contents. I have to prove myself, my belongings contents have mould, they are crooks and it has to be from a storm, etc. unless it's written in your yearly update so in told. They actually change it evey year and I have no faith in Apia at all, mould from the dampness you will have to throw everything out unless you want skin outbreaks like we got and then to be told I have to prove. Good luck! I hope you have a broker.

Ash G
Ash G

Tip: go through an insurance broker rather than cheap direct insurance companies that promise the world for a cheaper price. The cheaper price doesn't help you come claim time. With a broker, they often have their own claims officer in the office, who can lodge the claim for you, advise you of updates and fight on your behalf. You are charged a fee for using a broker, but it is totally worth it. You get what you pay for in insurance, so stay clear of cheap policies- you're paying less because there is less cover.

Julie

Julieasked

My ageing mother is in the process of making a water damage claim. Apia wants to clean black mould from the masonite in my ageing mother's bedroom. Scientific reports state that black mould cannot be cleaned from masonite and it needs to be removed. If they clean it and the black mould comes back can she make another claim that it wasn't taken care of in the first place?

Tracey cook

I have a claim the same with black mould and was wondering how your mums claim went? I have simply been given the run around and with lymphoma I cant afford to have the contents with the mould on it, they have just treated me like I don't matter and I'm so upset at deciding to insure with them for the last 5 1/2 years, I hope you had a positive experience as ive read and heard so many complaints. Please tell me what does a property report do with contents insurance? Just highway robbery this company and no compassion. The mould created huge sores on my body but yet nothing no no 1 in my view. I'd gone to nrma but a person from Apia scared me into staying with them, for this treatment, at 1st they told me they don't pay for mould but it came from water comming into the unit.

lena leonardisasked

my question should not have read member since September 2013 that was when claim was made.

lena leonardis

i would not recommend APIA its not any cheaper than other insurance, plus their acessers are not quallified at their job. for example they said we had cement tiles but there are terracotta.

Michael Smith

I have done many quotes and I have noticed that APIA certainly is NOT cheap. They were the most expensive...

Get an answer from our members and APIA representatives