Chescold RC1180

Chescold RC1180 Questions & Answers

52 questions from our users

Jim W.

Jim W.asked

I have a dometic F400 portable fridge freezer which I want to run inside my caravan, I would prefer to have the bottle outside and underneath the side of the van but would need to use a longer hose between 1.5 and 2m long depending on what is available. will it work effienctly with the longer lead.

Shane W.

Shane W.asked

Gas won't start

Ian M.asked

I need a cooling unit for RC1180 chescold fridge price and available?

Roving macs

Roving macsasked

Has anyone needed to replace the lighter for gas, or check it’s operating

Ian P.

Ian P.asked

Got a chescold 60l just checked it not working in any mode , have been running it on 240 for a while to keep it used , any insight from any one ? It's 20 odd years old , has it just run out of life ?

Ian Y

Gday Ian, check that there is not a strong smell of ammonia from the rear of the unit. If ammonia has leaked then the fridge will not work unless you replace the absorption unit (about half the cost of a new fridge) . It can only be a leaky absorption unit (as described) or that the refrigerant needs to be made to cycle properly. If your fridge has been not level then this may occur. Try turning your fridge upside down for 4 hours. Then right it , and vigorously shake both ways at 30 degree angle for a couple of minutes. Leave for 30 mins , then connect 240V and see how you go.
Best of luck,

Trevor

Trevorasked

Hi-I have recently been given a chescold f400 ,it has a red bung or plug at the bottom and when its removed it seams blocked inside ,is it some sort of drain.Im trying to get the gas funtion to work and wondered if there may be a connection.The gas flame is good and the flue is clean but no cold at all,works fine on 240v.
Final question,should the gas flame increase and decrease when you adjust the thermostat or does it remain the same,Thanks Trevor

Tracey M

Tracey Masked

What gas can I use on this propane or lpg

Gryphus

I think LPG 9kg gas cylinder normally or 240 volt / 12 volt. this is why it is called a three way fridge. They work best on 240 V and gas. A two week camp trip would use one and a half 9kg cylinders at most if running well. The injector must be kept clean, a bit of a job to replace. It runs on amonia, so A three week trip between 2 and 2.5 cylinders. If not working well more. The The plug for car will keep contents frozen though most likely would not freeze anything from scratch. We take separator out and place frozen stuff on the bottom of the fridge. The alternative is solar and cart solar panels around, and a heavy deep cycle battery. refrigerant almost never is replaced. If refrigerant is gone, the fridge is most likely Cactus. Will get 10 to 16 years out of the fridge if it is washed with fresh water after being near salt. When in storage cover gas inlet or mud wasps will nest there.

Phillip John

Phillip Johnasked

Hi brought a chescold 1180 from BCF has blown 2 elements @ 200 a time to repair.
I will not be repairing it again
Works ok on gas .
Would be a great fridge if it would stop blowing heating element

Gryphus

We have around 6 of these among family and friends mostly use on gas or 240. Have not had any heating elements go. I would ask Chescold to pay for the repairs and ask why this may be happening. I thought it would not work if element was cactus? Seem to have had bad luck there for gas camping they are excellent or as a spare home fridge for parties etc.

Johnasked

Can I leave the 12volts plugged in when I connect to 240 power

maxwell42
maxwell42

No john. You can use only one power source at a timr, particular if you are linked to a twelve volt battery, say in camper trailer. Cheers.

Chil

Chilasked

I have a Grey RC1180, bought in Welshpool W.A. back in November 1993, and it has worked fine until now, probably at least once a month for anything from 3 to 15 days at a time. Now I have a problem - it works on gas and 12v, but has stopped working on 240v. Is the part available as a replacement to repair the unit please, and what is the cost? Thank you.

Jmanasked

Where to buy online that is delivered?
Are they still making these?
It looks like no places are selling these new.

Shane

G'day, try Seabreeze -Gold Coast . They should have them ( that's where I bought mine , albeit 10 yrs ago). If not Dometic , they could give you a dealer that has them. I haven't checked but you generally see a few on eBay 2nd hand and new. The big thing with these is the gas component. I own both (2 & 3 way) if you are a stay put camper & want to hook it up to a gas bottle these are your fridge. If your a stop / start tourer camper look at 2 way. Any questions feel free to ask. Cheers Shane.

Thanks Shane.
The 2nd hand ones look to be pricey, and given the whole gas thing they sound like a bad idea and just asking for problems. I looked at these a year or two back before getting my engel, and from memory there was a good few available online. Now nothing besides bcf and no delivery.
Just looks like they are a bit dead now.

Rob Brisbaneasked

Hi,
Can this fridge be connected to a gas bayonet, part of a gas system in a camper trailer.
the bayonet would be installed external to the fridge box so the only way it can operate off gas would be when the camper is stationery and the fridge box is open.
My gas fitter has asked if it has a thermocouple for safety? i dont know what this is, i guess if the pilot blows out the gas stops?

Andrew
Andrew

No, the gas fitting supplied is a 3/8" BSP-LH (Gasmate) fitting. I've got an adaptor for a POL fitting, but I don't think you can get one to a 1/2" bayonet (maybe difference in regulator). Definitely can only use gas when stationary. It has a thermocouple, which is something to do with the gas safety valve I think.

Rob Brisbane

Hi Andrew, Cheers for taking the time to answer mate!
All this gas stuff is overwhelming...
I have tried looking for the product manual and it does not really go into too much specification detail.
I also tried calling them and was on hold for so long the line just went dead.
Maybe i should just go batteries and compressor to save the headache.

Robert W.asked

on the chescold 3 way ,which is the positive terminal on the 12v plug which goes to cooler,,middle or outside

Gary B

Not sure about the question but the black coated wire is the positive. The centre of the Chescold plug is only a locator which locks in to keep the plug connected to the fridge.

Robert W.

looking at plug that goes into fridge,,one side plastic locator pin then in middle power pin withlarge plastic around it,,thenlast pin on out side pin(open with no covering) im thinking middle pin for positive wire..sorry carnt explain any better

Julie C.asked

Can you get a fridge slide? I'm finding it very heavy to lift in and out.

Shane

G'day Julie, I hear you - yep they are heavy to get in & out , its a two person job. Most fridge slides would be to narrow , there made for the Engel / Waeco shape. I think your best bet would be to give Dometic a call . They may have your solution. Cheers Shane.

Julie C.

Thanks. I have found a slide that is the 46 x 72 cms the fridge is 46 X 61 , hoping it's close enough. Just not sure now if I want to bolt it to the floor of my Kia Carnival Grand.

Angie R.

Angie R.asked

We bought a second Rc1180 work very well 240v but when we put it on gas the temperature drop completely can someone help pls

Shane

G'day Angie, , this could a simple fix , it could be the burner itself. The fridge needs to be flat (ish) when in operation I assume that's the case. The burner may need cleaning or replacement. The perfect solution would be to take it to a dealer & have it inspected & replace the burner it may be getting hard to start on gas as well..? But that'll cost you ? $200 possibly ? not sure - call a agent & ask for a quote. You can attempt to clean it yourself - there is a clip on YouTube on how to do it. Personally as your dealing with gas ( and flames!) I'd be looking at a dealer. I did exactly that when mine started having starting issues. It was about 8 years old at the time. Cheers Shane.

G'Day Angie
Sounds like Shane has answered you. YouTube is always a great suggestion.
I agree make sure that when running on gas or just running you need to have the fridge level otherwise it won't cool down. Try this first to see how it goes & if still a problem either contact Dometic or a local qualified repairer.
Cheers
Gary

Chris F.asked

Hey guys I'm setting up a cord to run my fridge on 12v, just wanted to know which side of the plug is for positive?

Shane

G'day Chris, if its the chescold black plug you have - my advice is throw it away. Your best bet is to hardwire a Anderson plug to your fridge & then 6mm cable to your auxiliary battery. Never to your start battery. Have a read of my review on the Chescold that will give you a better idea. Welcome to call if you ever want to chat in more depth about it [number removed] Cheers Shane.

Chris
I agree with Shane to use an Anderson plug & also a 6mm wire to run from a second battery to the fridge when using on 12V. You may know this but run the fridge whenever you can on 240V or gas as performance is better plus you don't have to worry about 12v batteries. Cheers. Gary

Chris F.

Thanks guys will be setting up the Anderson plug to run fridge when travelling

Rayasked

I have a chest cold RC 1180 and the thermostat cable that runs to the inside of the fridge broke near the thermostat controler can it be fix by rejoining it or should the whole thermostat control unit get replaced?
Could I replace it myself?

Gary B

I would replace the thermostat cable & if you handy with tools you can probably do it yourself.

Ray

Thanks for that! The cable is a hollow copper pipe
Gas/Electric Thermostat for the Chescold RC1180 Fridges

Wayne D

Wayne Dasked

I live near Port Macquarrie NSW. I bought a second hand fridge but it didn't have a 12volt lead or gas lead. Where can I purchase these accessories?
Thanks Wayne

Gary B

Try your nearest Dometic retail outlet which maybe a caravan sales or repair business or a camping store.

Shane

G'day Wayne, Gas - easy, pop into BCF or Bunnings ( any camping store etc) and you'll be able to pick up a gas hose and regulator. Your best bet is to spend a few bucks more & get the metal ( flexible) hose, their stronger / safer. About $25 - $35 ..ish will all it'll be. 12 volt is a different story. It can be involved if you want to do it well, read my notes on my review on the Chescold re 12 volt that is a start. If you ever want more info on 12v your welcome to call and I can explain further 0406 787473. Cheers Shane.

Glen

Glenasked

When running chescold f400 on gas,I have a smell coming from outlet pipe is this normal?,it doesn't smell like gas,is it just doing its job and emitting residue from running on gas?

Shane

Hi, is it a new fridge ? they do give off a slight "burn" smell & heat - particularly when new. But some thing that's not really noticeable after its been used a little. I think your best bet would be to call Dometic & have a quick chat to a serviceman. Cheers Shane.

Darren

Darrenasked

i have a chescold 1822 very old. I need to know if it is polarity sensetive on the 12 colt side?