4Chescold RC1180

Chescold RC1180 Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Chescold? Claim your listing.
Jacob M.

Hey guys the father in-laws Dometic RC1180 3-way fridge freezer is still not working on gas it has a flame and awesome heat works well on 240 but just won't cool down on or freeze on gas.
So we have done the high pressure air down the exhaust pulled the back off cleaned it all turned it upside down for several hours.
We are completely lost on why it's still not working on gas.

David B.

It may need a thermostat replaced. Service isn't expensive on these.

Jacob M.

We replaced the 240/12volt thermostat about a year ago.
Is there another one for the gas??

If it was the thermostat would it still work on 240

Jacob M.

Hey guys I have a 50l chescold RC1180 and I'm wondering can these get re-gased or get the ammonia topped up?

David B.

I presume so, have you tried upending it for 24 hours. It gets bubbles and stops cooling but it's a sealed system so should not leak. Ours is still going after nearly 30 years with one service to fix the electric plug and temp sensor

Jacob M.

Thank you seems to be working now appreciate it

michael b.
michael b.

How many litres

W Green
W Green

50L

Janine L.
Janine L.

I have an old chescold (1995) 3 way fridge in my camper. I am trying to remove it in readiness for a new one. How do I remove it from the gas line.?I have disconnected the gas bottle from outside but cannot remove the Piece that goes into back of fridge. Should I be looking to remove from here? I am only a newbie to all this so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Steve W
Steve W

Hi Guys
I have had an Rc1180 for some time it still works well although I have never had the need to run the unit on 12volt. I have an MUX with a rear mounted 12volt outlet do I need to leave the red end on the adaptor or take it off to run the fridge in the car,

Look forward to your response
Cheers Steve

David B.

Can't help with that one, just be careful when using in the car with the engine off as these fridges pull 7-8 amps and will flatten your battery real fast.

Gary C.

my fridge works fine on 240v and 12v but doesn't get cold on gas. pilot flame working fine

David B.

Probably needs a service. But before you do that, turn it off, empty it and turn upside down for 30 minutes or so, then right way up and restart. Apparently it gets rid of bubbles in the ammonia coolant. If no luck, have it serviced. I've had mine serviced once in 25 years.

Gary C.

Yeah, I think you're right, I've already tried the turning over, no good

nevereveragain

I take out the jet and boil it in water and look through it to see if you can see through ive done this plenty of times fix the problem and I never use swap and go gas

Anthony B.
Anthony B.

How many amp's do they use on 12 volt

Andrew L.
Andrew L.

What’s the gas fittings size

Where in northeast Victoria can I get parts from

lex m.

Good but I just want a place were I can thermostat knob

Susan K.
Susan K.

Why can't you buy these fridges any more? they are a fantastic fridge/freezer

David B.

Probably because technology has improved and Chinese manufacturing has brought prices of compressor fridges down dramatically

nevereveragain

the best fridges.bushman still make them but not the same style,changing to solar sucks and to expensive and always chasing the sun and forever playing with it ,not like set and forget with the gas

Dylan N.
Dylan N.

I want to change the plug at the back to an anderson plug, but I don't know which is positive and negative on the pins

Marty K.
Marty K.

I have a rc1180 its doing nothing on 240v and gas, no heat at all from element on 240 and on gas it lights up but flame is very low and facing downward is this normal for gas. Is it ready for the tip or could it be thermostat problems I've had it upside down overnight and left it upright for another 8hrs before trying it, can't see any leaks or smell any ammonia from the heat transfer unit I'm stumped it just does nothing?

Jim W.
Jim W.

I have a dometic F400 portable fridge freezer which I want to run inside my caravan, I would prefer to have the bottle outside and underneath the side of the van but would need to use a longer hose between 1.5 and 2m long depending on what is available. will it work effienctly with the longer lead.

Alan B.
Alan B.

Don't run the gas inside your van ,very dangerous.

Shane W.
Shane W.

Gas won't start

Ian M.

I need a cooling unit for RC1180 chescold fridge price and available?

Roving macs
Roving macs

Has anyone needed to replace the lighter for gas, or check it’s operating

Ian P.
Ian P.

Got a chescold 60l just checked it not working in any mode , have been running it on 240 for a while to keep it used , any insight from any one ? It's 20 odd years old , has it just run out of life ?

Ian Y

Gday Ian, check that there is not a strong smell of ammonia from the rear of the unit. If ammonia has leaked then the fridge will not work unless you replace the absorption unit (about half the cost of a new fridge) . It can only be a leaky absorption unit (as described) or that the refrigerant needs to be made to cycle properly. If your fridge has been not level then this may occur. Try turning your fridge upside down for 4 hours. Then right it , and vigorously shake both ways at 30 degree angle for a couple of minutes. Leave for 30 mins , then connect 240V and see how you go.
Best of luck,

Trevor
Trevor

Hi-I have recently been given a chescold f400 ,it has a red bung or plug at the bottom and when its removed it seams blocked inside ,is it some sort of drain.Im trying to get the gas funtion to work and wondered if there may be a connection.The gas flame is good and the flue is clean but no cold at all,works fine on 240v.
Final question,should the gas flame increase and decrease when you adjust the thermostat or does it remain the same,Thanks Trevor

Tracey M
Tracey M

What gas can I use on this propane or lpg

Gryphus

I think LPG 9kg gas cylinder normally or 240 volt / 12 volt. this is why it is called a three way fridge. They work best on 240 V and gas. A two week camp trip would use one and a half 9kg cylinders at most if running well. The injector must be kept clean, a bit of a job to replace. It runs on amonia, so A three week trip between 2 and 2.5 cylinders. If not working well more. The The plug for car will keep contents frozen though most likely would not freeze anything from scratch. We take separator out and place frozen stuff on the bottom of the fridge. The alternative is solar and cart solar panels around, and a heavy deep cycle battery. refrigerant almost never is replaced. If refrigerant is gone, the fridge is most likely Cactus. Will get 10 to 16 years out of the fridge if it is washed with fresh water after being near salt. When in storage cover gas inlet or mud wasps will nest there.

Phillip John
Phillip John

Hi brought a chescold 1180 from BCF has blown 2 elements @ 200 a time to repair.
I will not be repairing it again
Works ok on gas .
Would be a great fridge if it would stop blowing heating element

Gryphus

We have around 6 of these among family and friends mostly use on gas or 240. Have not had any heating elements go. I would ask Chescold to pay for the repairs and ask why this may be happening. I thought it would not work if element was cactus? Seem to have had bad luck there for gas camping they are excellent or as a spare home fridge for parties etc.

Can I leave the 12volts plugged in when I connect to 240 power

maxwell42
maxwell42

No john. You can use only one power source at a timr, particular if you are linked to a twelve volt battery, say in camper trailer. Cheers.

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Chescold? Claim your listing.