Dyson V8

400 questions from our users

Katie B.

Katie B.asked

V8 Animal

Can the roller head on the animal v8 be cut off for high pile carpet?

Battery
Battery

Hm....I dont know, I have a high pile rug which I have to drag backwards over it.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We do apologise for any disappointment, however to provide great performance across both carpets and hard floors, the brushbar is designed toi be used while spinning and can't be turned off.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com and happy to help.

RSCasked

V8 Absolute

My dyson v8 is just out of warranty and I have started to have a problem with it in max suction. On normal suction it is absolutely fine, but if I switch to Max the machine works for about 10 seconds and then the whole machine cuts off (no lights etc) even when it is on full charge. If I then put it back in the charger (for less than a second) it restarts up and its battery lights can now be seen and the machine will work on normal suction again. I have cleaned the filter and it still does the same thing.
I do not get any red lights and it does not pulse at any time.
I called dyson customer care and they thought I should change the filter but that doesn't make much sense to me.
Any ideas on what is going on?

Silvana

No sorry but I would contact Dyson again and address your concerns with them because they are amazing and have always fixed my problems

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear about this. We would encouraging continuing contact with our Dyson Experts to get this sorted.

Our Experts are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com and 1800 239 766 Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm EST.

RJLasked

V8 Absolute

I would like to know why our V8 goes dead after 30-40 seconds on Max setting. It lasts as expected on normal?

This started not long after the warranty expired.

I thank you in advance

Silvana

There is something wrong it should last at least up to 7 mins just ring Dyson warranty and they will assist

RJL

I contacted Dyson and they were very helpful.

Problem resolved

Dyson Team ..Dyson

Thank you for your query.

We are glad to hear our Dyson Experts were able to help get this sorted.

If we can ever be of assistance in the future please don't hesitate to reach out. We are happy to help.

jim

jimasked

V8 Animal

From the very first day using our V8 Animal, it left marks on the hardwood floor. The marks come up but not without extra time and effort. Since the machine was marketed for carpet and hardwood, I think the company should supply a solution w/o cost. I requested help from Dyson and they sent new wheels which do the same thing. I know many users experience the same marks. Will Dyson give a free solution so that I can feel good about purchasing from the company again? Jim Cochran [email removed]

Silvana

I have actually thru warranty got a new machine because I kept having problems too - I don't know in regards to hard floors but that is a problem you should contact Dyson direct and they are wonderful and helpful and will assist you for free. Just don't be frustrated with them because it isn't the consultant's fault at the end of the day they are just doing their job and if us (the public) don't tell them our problems how are they suppose to know. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We certainly wouldn't expect any difficulties using machines on hard floors.

We would kindly ask for you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and the serial number of your machine. Once received, our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly and happy to help.

Brickwood

Brickwoodasked

We have had our Dyson V8 for nearly two years and we find that the suction isnt as good as it used to be. We have cleaned it to ensure there are no blockages but hasnt made a difference. Please help

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear about this. Understanding you have gone through some troubleshooting, we would kindly suggest checking the troubleshooting tool below to ensure all areas of the machine have been checked:

This should help solve the problem, however if not or if we can assist with any further queries, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly to help.

Duledeasked

Have a V8 with a D version battery. Today it started up itself and I had to remove battery to turn off. If I get the battery partially in it starts immediately. Power button does nothing. Won't stop machine. But when you press the power button you get the lights on battery while no LEDs without depression. Immediately as you try to insert battery though you still have a running vacuum with no LEDs as soon as some contact is made in motor housing handle. Is this a short or something in the motor housing or has the battery got a short meaning power is going through without need of power button being pressed?

Nerdy
Nerdy

I have not come across that problem before but l would imagine it would be in tthe motor housing handle so l would recommend to contact Dyson and see about getting it repaired. Is it undrr warranty? If not ask if they can quote you a price for repair. Ihope this helps thanks

Dyson Team ..Dyson

This certainly doesn't sound right.

We would kindly ask you to remove the battery from your machine and email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details. Our Dyson Experts will be in touch with you ASAP to assist.

Hi Nerdy & Dyson Team

In September I bought a Dyson V8 from Dyson Outlet in the UK. I'm not in Australasia. Unfortunately, what I had hoped to do was to have a single main purchase and then buy a motor housing and battery which is fine due to the ease of removal and fitting of bin and filter unit to motor housing.

The additional motor housing I bought is not the D version as on the Absolute Pro that I'd purchased so I then had to find the second type of battery.

I bought a Vanon battery which had a good review and plenty of power. Apparently it is Chinese. I spoke to the person I bought the motor housing off after I had the problem, which has taken two months to occur, and he said it is likely the battery has burnt the housing out. Bought both in September 2019.

Ultimately, I have now bought a new battery (Dyson) and a new housing as I needed to replace asap.

That said, if you suspect a certain problem has been caused it probably still won't be worth my having it serviced as even though the unit was legitimately Dyson the battery wasn't and this will void any warranty on motor housing.

Purchase of the new housing was equivalent to $105AUS and battery $115AUS and a service in Dyson UK would be minimum of $190AUS to sort out what would either be a housing or battery problem. Battery and housing are actually both capable of running but won't risk running anything again on the Chinese battery just in case. As said it is as if the housing or battery have now set themselves up for permanent running as soon as battery placed in housing. Can't stop it running.

Probably safer assuming all is a big boo boo on my part. It appears to be a case of buy cheap / more powerful, buy twice. My own stupidity. I hope others may glean some awareness that this can happen and because there was a smoke smell when I eventually got to stop the unit by removing screws and battery, that a cost saving could have ended up causing a fire and past that I'd rather not think. Where there's smoke there will eventually be fire and I was just lucky I was in to stop it proceeding down that route.

So the issue is not down to a faulty Dyson motor but looks like a potential issue when using a non Dyson battery.
I have always used upright Hoovers but they never last long without becoming extremely noisy over time, The Numatic Henry and James cleaners I've had have been great and are easily so much easier to use than any upright I've used and have a decent length wire so one change of plug does whole house. Most recently I bought a Shark Lift-away which is excellent too and the only disappointment I have with that is that within a week of buying it for approximately $470AUS that I'd decided to try out a Dyson and this has caused me to let the Shark sit unused.

I had never liked maneuvering the older upright Dysons or the pull arounds so avoided buying my own. As I am getting older and wanted lighter vacuums, 2 being necessary for upstairs and down, I thought I'd take a gamble on Dyson V8.

It may not have the punch of the Numatics or a full power upright but I think it is perfectly strong enough for most use and does a fine job in my home. Only rarely do I punch it into Max mode as Min is fine. But it does it so much easier than having to drag a wire around, all the while not having to worry about the motorhead cutting into outer coating of the machines own cable. I love the independence a cord free gives. The V8 Absolute Pro; which was affordable for me; is absolutely brilliant.

Many thanks BTW for answering.

Mary

Maryasked

V8 Absolute

We are having a lot problems with it constantly cutting out it is only a few years old & have had this problem for a while !!! Not happy

Dyson Team ..Dyson

Sorry to hear about this Mary, we are only happy to help.

We would kindly ask you to run through the troubleshooting outlined via: https://www.dyson.com.au/supporthome.aspx/Vacuums/Cordless/Dyson-V8-/164527-01/troubleshooting-176414/machine-cutting-out

This should help get your machine back up and running, however if not, or if we can assist further, please reach out to our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch very shortly.

Kate S.

Kate S.asked

V8 Absolute

My brand new Dyson V8 absolute does not fully charge. The indicator lights never shut off thats its been fully charged. It has two full blue bars and the third bar flashes blue but never goes to solid. This is a brand new vacuum and I have left it on the charger for over 5 hours at a time. Is this device defective and should It be returned?

Johanna P.
Johanna P.

Hi, I have been using the Dyson 8 for almost a year and it is not normal. It definitely needs to charge fully (3 bars). So my advice will be to leave it charging overnight and if the following day you dont see the 3 light bars, take it back to the store for the warranty.

Doug
Doug

Hi Kate, i'd advise to get on social media until your problem is solved, I'm trying to get help and if I do I'll let you know one way or the other.
It's terrible that we spend our hard earned cash on such a terrible product.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

After 5 and a half hours the battery of your Dyson V8 should be charged and the lights on your machine should then turn off Kate.

If this isn't what is happening, please forward the serial number of your machine to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly to assist.

Brian Y.

Brian Y.asked

from full charge, my Dyson V8 will work for a few minutes, then will stop, but the battery is still at 3 or 2. I have to plug in for a 1 second (like a reset), then it will work again, but only for like a few minutes again, the battery will be lower to maybe 2, have to plug in again (for reset). I have to keep doing that until the battery really runs out. Could you help?

Dyson Team ..Dyson

This isn't the behaviour we'd expect from your Dyson V8 Brian.

We would kindly ask you to forward your query along with the serial number of your machine to auaskdyson@dyson.com. Our Dyson Experts will be in touch to help get this sorted for you.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

Lawrence H.
Lawrence H.

Hey Dyson Team
Customer service advised with charging have been instructed use and do not put on charger unless the battery is spent

Dyson Team ..Dyson

Apologies if this was the information provided however it isn't quite right.

It is recommended you leave the machine on charge when not in use, even if you haven't fully used the battery. This will ensure it is always ready for your next cleaning session. Your Dyson V8 has smart electronics within the machine, battery and charger to ensure the machine won't overcharge.

Should we be able to further assist, our Dyson Experts are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com and happy to help.

SuziQ

SuziQasked

V8 Animal

The direct drive brush roller no longer spins or sucks. Main body of machine works.
Have pulled apart and cleaned machine thoroughly but still not working. Where can I go to in Sydney to get it fixed? Think it might be an electrical issue in the motor.
Thank you.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble with the Direct Drive Head on your V8 Animal, we are happy to help.

We would kindly ask you to run through the checkpoints outlined here as our troubleshooting can solve many problems: https://www.dyson.com.au/SupportHome/Vacuums/Cordless/Dyson-V8-/164526-01/troubleshooting/the-brush-bar-is-not-spinning-on-the-floor-tool

If you continue to experience difficulties or we can assist further, please get in touch with our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch very shortly.

Bernadette C.asked

Is it OK to keep dyson 8 plugged in all the time?

Dyson Team ..Dyson

It is recommended you leave the machine on charge when not in use, even if you haven't fully used the battery. This will ensure it is always ready for your next cleaning session. The electronics in the machine will ensure the battery charges to 100%, but not over.

We hope this helps, however if you have any further queries, please feel free to reach out to our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com.

Bel A

Bel Aasked

I have an Absolute V8 works fine on the lower setting but only works on the max setting for a minute. Battery has been replaced not too long ago. The charger is wall mounted and is left on change when not in use. Filter has been cleaned and still no improvement. Please help

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear your V8 provides a short run time on the max mode.

We would kindly ask you to forward your details and query to auaskdyson@dyson.com. Our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly and happy to help get this sorted for you.

Mitch

Mitchasked

My Dyson V8 is two years old and does not keep its charge as it used to. I have taken really good care of it and cleaned my filters regularly as suggested. If the issue rests with the battery, is it still under warranty?

Dyson Team ..Dyson

So we can best assist, we would kindly ask for you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and the serial number of your machine.

Our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help get this sorted for you.

Ross B.

Ross B.asked

Hi,

Bought the unit about 2 years ago. Use it at least weekly for our apartment.

Until a few months ago I could easily vacuum our whole place on ONE full charge - however now I can only get about 75% done by comparison.

Secondly, I have also notice that even on a full charge, the Max setting now only works for maybe a minute or two if you are lucky - so I then have to quickly plug it back in for for second, which then really only allows me to use the normal setting for a bit more time.

Any comment or advise or help on the above issues?

Minh

Sounds normal that overtime battery will erode as it is consumable. When it gets to a point that it is no longer suitable for your need, call Dyson and order a new battery. It will work as new again.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing a short run time from your Dyson V8.

If your Dyson V8 is working well otherwise (i.e. picking up dust and debris) and the charger lights up when the machine is plugged in, it would indicate the battery on the machine would need to be replaced. You can purchase a replacement battery for the Dyson V8 here: https://shop.dyson.com.au/spare-parts/battery-967834-02

If this isn't the case, the machine is under two years old, or you have any further queries, our Dyson Experts are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help.

EMHasked

Bought Dyson V8 yesterday from Target. Fully charged overnight but after pressing start trigger - nothing happens. Any help?

Minh

It should at least works for a minute prior to first charge as it would have some charge. Perhaps the parts didnt click in properly and also you need to keep holding the button down when in use. Other than that check manual for troubleshooting before calling Dyson.

EMH

Yes, actually the filter was not clicked closed tightly enough and it worked once it was closed properly. Thanks

Mr t

Mr tasked

V8 Absolute

‏Hello I just bought mine, v 8 and I have a question. The vacuum cleaner should warm up while working.   Or stay could?

Irene H

Irene Hasked

My dyson v8 is overheating, the handle and trigger heat up so much that I hand use it it is too hot? Can this be repaired!

Dyson Team ..Dyson

While it is normal for the machine to get warm in use, it shouldn't get hot.

Please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly to assist.

P E

P Easked

I have just purchased the Dyson V8 Origin from Myer Knox today 05/10/2019. Upon opening the box it was discovered that there were not fittings for the wall mount. My research results in there not being mounting screws for this Dyson. I am disappointed in this. Please if you could advise where and what type of screw and wall mount fittings I need to purchase and where I may purchase them. Thank you in advance.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

Apologies for any disappointment, however the screws aren't included with the dock for your Dyson V8.

We recommend visiting your local hardware store with the dock and seeking assistance to confirm the right fixings for your wall type.

Again, we do apologise for any disappointment, however we are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com if we can assist with any further queries.

Kellie

Kellieasked

Hi there, just wondering how long the rechargeable battery lasts for before having to be replaced?

Buddah71
Buddah71

I haven't had it long enough too know, but I still have the original dyson handstick which is still going 6-7yrs on.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

While Dyson engineer every part of our machine to provide reliable performance and last for years to come, batteries are considered a consumable item and will sometimes need to be replaced during the lifetime of a machine and this is the same for any technology that relies on a battery (e.g. laptops, tablets, mobile phones etc).

As there are many variables that can affect batteries it's almost impossible to predict exactly how long an individual battery will last in real world conditions, and this is the case with batteries from any manufacturer.

Many variables that can affect batteries include storage, charging and usage cycles, and extremes of temperature.

J D.
J D.

Just had to replace ours, two adults no children with two pets. Daily use. Bought it in april. So 6 months for us.

Alan M.

Alan M.asked

My v8 dyson cuts out after a few seconds when using it on max setting otherwise it fine on normal setting! Any help?

Hi Alan,

Thanks for asking about this, we don't have quite enough information to diagnose the issue just yet, the lights the machine displays and whether it's making any unusual sounds before it stops running will help us get a better understanding of what's happening mechanically.

Our experts will be more than happy to run through some detailed troubleshooting with you to solve the issue, so please email our team at auaskdyson@dyson.com with a detailed description of what you're experiencing with your machine.

S Mc
S Mc

My Dyson SV 10 cuts out when used for a few seconds on max setting, and only lasts about 15 on low setting. I have cleaned filter and it is fully charged. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Hey S Mc,

This is also a case where we'll need to ask questions and run through some checkpoints to be able to say what's happening. For instance is it making a pulsing sound? In which case the cause of the issue is an airflow reduction due to a blockage. Is the machine displaying any unusual lights?

So we can best assist, please email all the details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our experts will be in touch.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives