Ecotourer 510 Range

Off-Road, Standard, Hybrid

19 questions from our users

James Hasked

510 Standard Single or Double Beds

We have a 2007 EcoTourer with a double bed and standard features (no en suite fitted). We are considering to purchase a 2013 Hyundai SanteFe Hylander automatic fitted with heavy duty rear springs, will this be legal to tow this van.

Cameron Free

They have a reported tow ability of 2000 KG braked - do you know what the GCM (Not GVM) for the vehicle is - that will indicated whether it is legal.

James H

I am unable to locate a GCM figure anywhere on the vehicle. Any suggestions? The vehicle has been fitted with a genuine Hyundai tow pack upgrade which has a 150kg maximum download stamped on the ID plate. The engine is R 2.2 CRDi (Diesel).

James H

After reading another article I have found the following information
Hyundai Santa Fe
Payload: 433kg (Scenario 1)
Vehicle mass: 2428kg (202kg less than GVM)
Vehicle and (maximum weight) trailer combined mass: 4278kg (352kg less than GCM)

Old Hobartian

Old Hobartianasked

510 Range

Hi are there any problems with the roof lifting mechanism and if so is it expensive to fix?

Hello O.H.
I don't know if this is of any help but I will relate our experience.
Within the warranty period something got stuck and Ecotourer happily paid for the fixing. We manually wind ours so are very attuned to the "feel". What we notice is a gradual stiffening , eased a bit by frequent use when travelling, but gets a bit stiff at home. We regularly lubricate as advised but this doesn't make a huge difference. So, all in all...I would say the winding mechanism has got gradually stiffer with little option to make it easier. I would think using the power drill to lift would not only disguise the stiffness but, no doubt, make it easier.

Cameron Free

Hi - Bought ours second hand - It's done the Lap - Hand it now for 2 years , no problem with the winding mechanism - use a electric drill - makes life very easy - the design seems very robust - I have only heard of 3 that have had problems - which were fixed by Caravan Court or by the owners

Norbert H

Norbert Hasked

Dear Sir/Madam
We have a 2010 off road Eco Tourer.
Is it possible to install a Roof mounted A/C unit. Looking at a Truma unit. Apparently 30kg
Please advise cheers Norbert
Cheers

Cameron Free

Hi - i'm not sure on the weight capacity of the lift unit - I know some have solar panels mounted - Best bet would be to contact the manufacturer - Caravan Court - Melbourne - http://www.caravans.com.au/

Cameron Free

Ours has the ducted unit under the bed

Mary D.
Mary D.

What can happen if you over wind the roof mechanism. How difficult is it to fix if it happens

Dorothy B.

Dorothy B.asked

I would like a screen door for my Eco Tourer

Cameron Free

Hi Dorothy - as far as i know you will need to fir one yourself - the Yahoo group page has photos of the different ways people have gone about this - from what i have seen the best option is an access hatch inserted to the lower half of the door with a security screen insert on the inside - i am currently using a magnetic screen that can be trimmed to size - about $20 from bunnings ect but it is not a security screen

Barry Basked

510 Range

When I rang they said that the bed was only 1300mm wide with the ensuite model. This seems narrow? Thoughts please.

Hello Barry.
Sounds like a standard double bed size to me.

Barry B

Yeah probably is but a bit too narrow for us. We have been spoilt with a king at home...going back to a double will be pretty hard. Thanks.

Barry B

Just had a look ...according to google a double is 1370mm. So not even quite a double. I enjoy my sleep too much :) but thanks for your help.

Graeme r

Graeme rasked

510 Range

Where can I source a reading lamp for eco tourier

Gold Coast

Gold Coastasked

510 Range

I live on the Gold Coast. Where can I buy a new screen assembly for the rear roof hatch on my Eco Tourer?

Cameron Free

This is were i got mine from , i'm sure there will be other suppliers https://www.rvpartsexpress.com.au/alko-flyscreen-t-s-remis-hatch-400x400-675015.html

Cameron Free

Just make sure it is the same hatch

Deb

Debasked

510 Range

How do you change an led light in ceiling above bed?

Molly

Mollyasked

510 Range

Hi Blu, do they normally have fly screens on the hatches as we don't have any on ours?...we're trying to figure out the easiest way to make some .

Eric
Eric

Suggest you contact Caravan Court in Melbourne on 03-95469822. As the manufacturer they should be able provide you with a solution.

Brenda
Brenda

We put a magnetic screen on ours. it was better than the original gauze.

Faster the betterasked

510 Off-Road

Hello ET owners. having read all comments esp about off road, will be interested in some helpful feedback. We have the hybrid and just did a trip to Lawn Hill gorge. Following this, the van filled with dust, the cupboards jiggled open,one drawer's tracks broke apart, the window screws jiggled loose ( lost a couple) , the water tank drain began to leak and the TV broke off its frame. We drove carefully on the dirt roads. We love all the features but have been VERY disappointed at the flimsy insides. Ant suggestions on some remedies?

John

Johnasked

510 Hybrid Shower & Toilet

I have a2,2 T diesel will it pull a eco van with toilet@ shower?

Dave C
Dave C

Hi John I tow my show toilet model with a Triton duel cab no problems just check that your vehicle specs .On highway shower toilet model comes in at about 1980 kgs loaded.tare weight 1640 kgs.Triton can tow 3100 kgs less payload I guess about 350kgs,ie 2people ,portable fridge a couple of chairs and odds and ends.Hope this helps cheers

Cameron Free

Hi John, also tow with a Triton dual cab - no problems with towing - smooth as - have the off road - Shower Toilet- purchased second hand - the only problem we have had is some of the adhesive on the laminate drying out and needing to be reglued , not a biggie - just with dual cab utes - don't overload the tray or the van, the chassis will fail regardless of brand.

patto

pattoasked

510 Range

we have just bought a pre-owned off highway ET, has anyone come across a battery powered cordless drill or similar that is powerful enough to wind the van to it's full height?

Nick
Nick

Any 18volt TWO speed drill in low gear will do it

Cameron Free

As Nick said - any 18v or above will handle it no problems - also great for winding the stabilizing legs up and down

Berniceasked

Thinking of buying the eco 510 off road tourer,
Can anyone that has one give me feed back on your thoughts of the caravan,
Any info would be helpful ,how it travels an if it is built good an if it seals good an the shower an toilet,
Does it dust in travelling on dirt roads.
Thanking you

mountainman

Dear Bernice,Darling,Hope your female,I bought the top of the line off road.Looked very nice brand new,couple of things dropped off it on the highway on the way home.The van is a wonderful idea, tows beautifully,a bit heavy but it does have a strong chassis,for the off road bit,easy to revers,need a 2 tonn vehicle to tow it or could have trouble stopping in the wet.The whole idea fantastic.Now a little on the most important side,first leaking,yes my did leak through the toilet/shower, it poured in while driveing, but of course went out the shower plug hole until i resealed allaround the toilet trapdoor.Then while driveing again, the whole inside would flood, until i resealed all round the gas bottle door,not enough,so the wheel arches were also not sealed,so driveing in the rain it flooded all inside.then the rear roofhatch began to leak over the bed, now tis took a good while to overcome with fitting a neww hatch to a size which is also unavailable,to retrofit it $500,but not too comfortable for 6weeks in Tassie last winter! All the laminex tops and cupboards,Just peeled off, had to be all restuck down.Dusty roads, well not too bad,but you will have to go through a bit of draft excluder from Bunnings.Buy the way the manufacterers will not look at you after 12 months off course.So if you have 48 weeks to spend working on it, to travel for 4weeks a year it sure will keep you occupied.Im very sorry no way would i ever go through this again,you could employ a handyman fulltime,Bernice, i am very sorry it would be like a sentance.Im sorry to tell you like this, but its just a small bit of my tail but true. Any more questions i will answer,but therll be the truthJohn

Bernice

Thanks for that john,what year is yours,what is a good caravan,that doesn't have problems hey.
We have a penguin ob jayco.
I think I might just stick with that,
I want to update,I was looking at the eco 510 tourer off road ,I like the lay out,but I want something that doesn't leak an fell apart.
Thanks for feed back

aussienomadasked

510 Off-Road

Off-Highway vs Off-Road - What are the limitations of the Off-Highway?
We've recently bought a 5 yo Off-Highway ET. Has anyone been to Camerons' Corner with an Off-Highway. I've seen TassyTerry's post, but they have an Off-Roader. I've also seen the responses travelling about the GRR with Off-Highway models. I guess I'm trying to figure out the limitations of our unit. Any comments would be appreciated. I reckon the ET would go most places that we've been with our old camper trailer, but we can't afford to trash it either.

mountainman

GDay there aussienomad,For me this is quite a difficult question,as i tend to tell the truth which can be painful,i will try not to go on too much but i can assur you every word is the truth.I have been through Camerons corner, Birdsville, up to boulia,turned right down through the Dimatina,all very isolated spots,also Kosiuscko nat park, places i should never have gone, it happens,All off road are limited so dont be too hard on it. However after a couple of years i was driveing along a bituemin road just out of Braidwood crossed a bump which some bridges have where the bituemin and bridge meet and guess what the spring which holds the axle to the shackle broke! so the axle just went free! thankfully i wasnt travelling too fast as the axle and wheel jamed up against the chassis, if i was travelling faster the van would have jumped off the axle and gone who knows where.I got home 200 klms,(being a bushy) by useing fencing wire twisted very tightlaround the rear shackle and axle.Now i tried to buy replacement springs for both sides,not possible,made in India with poor quality steel,however there was a place in Sth Aust who wil make them for you, i didnt follow up.I did call in at a truck and trailer business, now he gave me really good info on how to fit new springs allround as thats what was needed.First i had to get 2 new sets,Now these a very poor quality with very little flex (spring action hitting a potthole) so of course they snap, they are also made too short, again no flex,I forget how many leaves there are in each set, maby 7, so you have to pull the springs apart and slide number 5 spring out, throw it away,reassemble the leaf springs,on the chassis is a bumper rubber, unscrew that throw it away too.Im not sure which leaf i took out but if yoyr going to do the job recontact me, i have heaps of records after spending many many weekends working on the thing,there is not one thing i havent had to fix after EVERY trip of more than 100 klm. Also be careful on rough roads as my spare wheel dropped off,the welding just came apart.My friend thats about it just on this subject,carry plenty of spares (i even carry a spare set of springs)I am sorry but i did tell you the truth as promised. I have never had trouble on rough roads since i modified the springs,oh, drop the tyre pressurres to about 40lbs, it will help to take the shock of a pothole (i also 4wd not with the van)Dont have the tyre pressures as they recommend, rather replace a tyre than 2 sets of springs.As i have said before i cannot think of any part i havent worked on the mongrel from roofhatch to toilet, none of them easy.Come back to me anytime.Good luck nomad, John.

aussienomad

Wow!! Sounds like you've got a lemon. I certainly hope our experience is more pleasant. Thanks for the reply John.

Gold Coast

Gold Coastasked

510 Range

How do I remove the light bulbs in the dining/lounge area?

mountainman

G.Day Gold coaster,All the downlights are just pushed in and pulled out. So,after the lights have been in for a while and also hot, they tend to weld themselves to the plastic ceiling, so, to get the light of the ceiling you have to prize it VERY, VERY,carrefully off the plastic,with a very thin object, like a thin paint scraper. now be very careful not to put too much mussel into it,be patient,a bit at a time,slowly. It is very easy to tear the cieling which would be unsightly. Just go around a small bit at a time.As a matter of fact i changed all my lights to LED, which was a messy job but saves heaps of power,as i rarly camp with 240 volts.PS,When putting the new globes in DO NOT TOUCH them,
they are halogen,and will blow as soon as you switch them on brand new.A very good place for caravan bits.www.CaravansPlus.com.au 02 6284 2182.Good luck.

leighasked

510 Off-Road

The fan tasic fan has stopped working on both 240v and 12 v. I have replaced the fuse but to no avail. Also how do you replace the downlight globe?

Leigh

Discover it

Leigh. Have not had either of your problems. There is a forum group ecotourergroup@yahoogroups.com.au that has been helpful with questions such as yours. I have also found that a phone call to Steve at Caravan Court has also been helpful 03-95469822

mountainman

Leigh,Well, this is one thing I haven't had a problem with,yet,Sorry so slow to get back,been in hosp with big operation.Now I'm guessing you mean the exhaust fan,the model Dometic CK155 with 2 downlights,it runs on 12volts only,very little in the van run on 240volts, I think the fuse is up in te hood somewhere, the down lights are haleogen, so do not touch them.hyave you tried the fan switch? it has 2 speeds.At the moment I cant get out to the van to check things out for you, sorry.The only things that run on 240volts are the A/con,Hot water,micro wave,fridge if needed,the battery charges when towing or when you hookup to 240volts,you need to charge up at least every weekend,if you don't the battery will die after a short life,i have 2. So is your battery stuffed? does the fan work in the toilet?do the roof lights work?they take heaps of power.Now for parts for the van I have found www.caravansplus.com.au very good and helpful.Now good luck,and sorry I'm not mobile for a couple of weeks, but please keep in contact for further help if your stuck.

leigh

Thanks mountainman. It turned out to be only that the fuse holder was broken not allowing the fuse to connect at the top. The fuse had blown and was difficult to remove because it had been glued to the holder and must have broken when I removed it. I sorted out the light. Thanks for your time Leigh

Bluasked

510 Range

Hi all, Our Eco Tourer has a Heron 2.2 air conditioner and we found that the fan doesn't seem to blow hard enough. So I replaced the speed control switch and this seemed a little better and gave more distinct changes in fan speed. The cold and heat outputs are good but we feel that the air should blow faster on cold. For example, the air flow is significantly less than a car A/C or a home A/C.
Does anyone have a similar problem? Or is this normal for the Heron 2.2?
Regards, Blu

mountainman

Blu,The A/Con is fitted in a very poor place,it blows straight onto the opposite cupboard.If you did notice a difference with the new switch that's good,if you think its cool enough that's also good, I had to pull the front off to relocate the temp sensor which was directely in the airflow so would switch off too soon (the manufacturer thinks its fitted in a bad place) Take the front off,clean the condenser and the folters under the table. When putting the front back on put some foam gap filler a round the condenser so ALL the air blows out. Don't forget to have the power off! Ive also found it doesn't blow real hard, but if you lean something about a metre long and from the floor at the A/Con to the workbench opposite it will direct the flow of air upwards and it does make a slight difference by circulateting the airflow.I tell you matey ive had to work on just about everything in the van,latest is all the laminex is lifting off.Good luck, keep the questions coming.Mountainman.

Blu

Thanks Mountainman. I was thinking of a deflector on the outlet grid to direct the air upwards, but my main problem is the fan speed. It sounds like yours blows slow too so maybe that's how they are.

Discover it

Blu.Apologies for the delay. So far we have not been too far North where we have required the Aircon. However on the one occassion we have used it we found it to be adequate but would not want to rely on it in Northern Australia. Happy touring.

Bluasked

510 Range

Hi we have purchased a second hand eco tourer and love it. But the fly screens in the roof hatches are missing. Can anyone please suggest a simple way to replace it?I am happy to do some handyman build.
regards, Bob

mountainman

GDay there Blu,I'm the mountainman as in my recent report on my off highway Eco Tourer. Mate another thing I've had to replace is one of the roof hatches which are no longer available, so I had to do a retro fit of a different size, point is, I've kept the bits from the hatch, (hate to throw things out) a big crack came across the plastic top. If you are still looking I can see if I still have a fly screen, not worth anything to me, let me know and I'll post it to you. hobbosnibbo42@gmail.com

Blu

Hi Mountainman, wow I am so pleased to hear from you with that kind offer. I had given up hope of any replies to my question about the flyscreens. I would like to reimburse you for postage, so please let me know how I can get money to you.
If you want to ring me, my number is 0409742861. My address is 101 Holt Road, Taren Point, NSW, 2229.
Blu (aka Bob)

Elaine

Elaineasked

510 Standard

Very interested in these vans. We need to know if an annex works with the shape.

Bob & Diane
Bob & Diane

Works very well! We purchased a full Tebbs annex with our Eco 8 years ago. Annex doubles the size of the van.