Harley-Davidson Dyna Fat Bob

Harley-Davidson Dyna Fat Bob Questions & Answers

19 questions from our users

brian

brianasked

hi i have 2013 fat bob left hand switches dont work exept when i put hazzard lights on pleasr advise

Fat1600bob

Fat1600bobasked

Hey I have fat Bob year 2016. It's 96ci. But want upgrade to 107ci. What cylinders fits on my bike. Can it works from street glide. Fat boy.?

Surej J.

Surej J.asked

2012 fat bob had a minor fall . Only one cylinder is firing now .. checked the plugs they are ok .. any guesses?

Gary

Garyasked

I ride my 2012 fat Bob at night the head lights goes bright and my console light goes out , my signal lights still work my brake light still works my tail light still works after a minute or so my headlight goes back to normal and my console light comes back on but it tells me I need gas and then after a a few seconds it’s normal my signal light indicator on the left doesn’t work its burnt out and my highbeam light is burnt out , I don’t want to replace it because I’m afraid it will burn my new one out I must have a short. Any ideas?

Tim R.
Tim R.

I have an ‘09. Pack rat got under instrument cluster. Made a nest and chewed all the wires. All were bare! Don’t know why it still ran! FYI!

Cozzaasked

When I ride my bike around town it's fine bout when I get out above 100 km per hour the red alarm ( fob) light comes on doesn't affect bike though?

Chook

Mine comes on intermittently. I have a disconnected oil pressure switch wire at the front of the motor. I've bought a replacement but haven't put it on yet. Hopefully that's what is causing the red light. Apart from that everything else, as far as I know, is all hooked up. I've had this since I got the bike in March 2018.

Pugs

I ride with a few fatbobs and every bick has had that problem we found it to be the front brake lever is too sensitive and puts the brake light on get it looked at or replaced

Pugs

I ride with a few fatbobs and every bike had that problem we found it to be the front brake lever is too sensitive and puts the brake light on get it looked at or replaced

Chookasked

I just bought a used Fat Bob (2012) how do I know if it has a non stock cam in it without stripping it down?
Can I tell from the idle?
Cheers.

Iroamsta

Iroamstaasked

I have a fat bob 2011 it has stamp 10/11 on it was told its 2012 from previous owner and said its 103 cubic engine how can i tell if it is what he says it is. Is there any way i can tell?

Brian

Harley Davidson and some other Motorcycle manufactures have a weird system of launching new models which can be confusing, for example most 2018 model Harleys are released new even though it is still 2017 so if you were to buy a new one now it would be sold as a 2018 variant but complied and stamped 2017. I know it is strange but that is the way they do it.

In relation to it being 103 that should be in your owners manual and if still in doubt pop into a Harley dealer and confirm it. The previous owner may have done a stage 1 or stage 2 or higher upgrades with different pipes if that is so then it would have a higher rating.

Cozza

Harley's new bikes come out around new financial year, so my bikes 2016 but I brought it in November 2015 and it should say on bottom right hand side of engine 103

RodWar

RodWarasked

I have a 2011 Fat Bob. last time I rode it ran great for about an hour but the battery light & trans. light came on & stayed on, then when taking off from a stop light, it began missing & stuttering, gauges started acting crazy, and then finally it just died and would not restart. I put a brand new battery on it & replaced the 2 relays in fuse block. it started right up but after 5 minutes the battery & trans light came back on & stayed on. the bike ran fine to get me home, but then the next time I rode it did the exact same thing but once it died that was it. its almost like the battery is not staying charged or charging. Could it be the alternator or voltage regulator?

Brian

Take it into Harley dealership its more than the battery et al. Had same problem and was fixed under warranty.

mjv

mjvasked

what are the hd initals for the fatbob?

Harley Davidson

Twisted
Twisted

Fxdf

the mad pomasked

i`m tossing up whether to buy a fat bob or a thunderbird storm? i`m the same as a lot of people on here, i`ve heard the dyna bikes vibrate excessively? has anyone got a 2016 or 2017 fat bob? and what do they think? thanks.

Sleighman
Sleighman

I love my bike. It only shakes - vibrates at idle which is badass. One you turn the throttle even sitting still the bike smooths out. The only other bike I would buy over this would be the Harley Dyna Low Rider S. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/low-rider-s.html its a beast with the 110 motor. Mine has the 103, with intake exhaust and dyno tune. Its very powerful. The Low Rider S has a 110 and a nice intake already. Any stop Harley will need a better exhaust. Factory is just too quite. The Triumph's are very nice also. I chose the Harley due to its powerful Vtwin and the Fatbob because its unique.

Cozza

The fat Bob doesn't vibrate to much for me , I've got Vance and Hines long shot exhaust, stage 3 super tune, screaming eagle air intake but you just can't beat the sound of v-twin engine it's a beast

the mad pom

thank you for your feedback, its been very helpful.

Shaun

Shaunasked

I have a heavy breather part no. 29607-08 will this fit a 2012 fat bob

Sorry I do not know.

Chook

I've just put a Heavy Breather Corsair version on mine and it goes straight on.
Do you have a photo?

Hot Richard

Hot Richardasked

I way 160kg. Will The motorcycle be able to support me?

Rocketman

I weigh 80kg so does the wife. = 160 kegs. bike hardly notices the extra weight. Motor has good torque

Michael

Michaelasked

I've lost my keys even spare to my 2012 fat bob. How much to purchase another?

Tim S

Don't know Michael ring your Harley Dealer l'm sure they can tell you cheers !!!!

bigfin

bigfinasked

Hi, have 2011 fat bob side stand warning won't go off even although side stand is up, any ideas how to get this to go off?

Rocketman

Not 100% on this, but the stand will have to touch an electrical sensor that is on the underside of the bike when the stand is up.
These sensors can get damaged and can become faulty, it can happen on anybike. The sensor can also stop the bike starting as it shuts of the ability to start the bike motorcycle.
It is a simple fix, check the sensor is not loose, if it is, then retighten it in the correct position, or switch ignition on , touch the sensor and see if the dash light is affected
If that doesnt work I suggest you take the bike to the dealer, they will certainly be able to sort the problem out.
I would think that its not a very cojstly fix. Good luck.

Cozzaasked

I've got a brand new 2016 fat Bob I've done 800 kms on it and Harley told me first service is at 1600 is that correct?

Rocketman

The first service I believe is 1000miles/ 1600km, I would suspect that you need to get this service done if want to keep your warranty.

Tim S

That's right metric to imperial 1600k=1000mph get it done or maybe void your warranty cheers Cozza

crashasked

I found that stock pipes with screaming eagle slip ons scrape out on nearly every right hander, i understand its my riding style but that's how I ride. My question is has anyone got a comment on what after market pipes would give more clearance?
Cheer's

Rocketman

My pipes are Vance & Hines "bigshots". I have measured the distance from the bottom of the lowest pipe to the ground while the bike is on its side stand, and it is 9' 1/2" and the pipes do not stick out beyond the bracket holding the rear footpeg.
You would be having to almost lean like valentino rossi to scrape the pipes in this setup

crash

Cheers rocketman, I will look into them. I am also concidering ring the rinehart 2 into 1 for more clearance, any thoughts.

Tim S

Put a set of vance & Hines big radius 2 into 2's on set of ikon 3 way adjustables,4 way dampers,an guess what she won't scrap, if she does the shockies have probably lost their dampening. You'll be able to wear the tyre tits ( little wear indicators ) off right out to the bead.Happy riding biker brother

Michael

Michaelasked

anyone have an opinion as to whether or not this would be a good 1st bike? Am 56, 6"2",190 lbs, long arms and legs. Never ridden before, just passed MSF course last year. Have never owned a bike.

Thx,

Rocketman

I do not think it would be a good First bike. I doubt whether local laws allow you ride a bike this size as a first bike. Get a 400cc and learn to ride that first. Much easier/cheaper to make all your mistakes on a smaller bike. Good luck and take care. Most newbie riders make mistakes in the 6mth to 18mth range. The thinking is that this the period they think they are a better rider than they are.

Tim S

Yep good start Michael - after you learn to ride on something smaller-cc that is- then when u r legal,competent & confident to ride bigger capacity machines would be a good choice.Good luck.Fatty Rider

crash

I'm 6'4" and ride a fatbob. I am changing the seat for a tallboy and has made a world of differa ce in comfort for the lo g legs. As a first bike go for it as you only goas fast as you twist the throttle. Enjoy your ride.

ColDog

ColDogasked

I have owned my 2013 Fat Bob since May ,I have owned many bikes over the years, this being my first Harley. Mostly I am impressed and love it, There have been a couple of issues like steering lock R/S and very minor seepage from left hand fork seal. I notice previous posts have mentioned vibration,
My bike develops some vibration usually at about 50-60kph and will disappear as spead increases, is this just a Harley trait or should I look into further. Also I find front suspension not the best, a bit clunky over bumps, does any one have a fix for this.?

Craig
Craig

Your story is very similar to mine. 2013 FatBob, bought it new in May, several other bikes previously, my first Harley and loving it. Steering lock: Yeah I have found the steering lock and the ignition lock (when using the key) a little dicky/stiff/tight. I put that down to it being new and a probably the quality of the components. Doesn’t really bother me, I reckon like all mass produced American vehicles, it’ll loosen up as it gets worn. Fork seals: No issues so far, so I would chase that one down with the dealer. A mate of mine that I work with owns two Harleys (FXR and a Vrod Muscle) and warned me about leaking fork seal if you leaving the bike sit for long periods of time on the side stand (a couple of months plus). It happened to his FXR. The FXR now gets put on a ‘center bike lift’ and the Vrod lives in a ‘cocoon’ during long periods of storage. Vibrations: Don’t really notice anything untoward vibration wise with mine. Remember it is a 1690cc, twin cylinder, push rod engine, very agricultural by today’s modern standards. But it’s your bike and if you’re concerned get it checked out. Test ride another one and compare. Front Suspension: I found the same thing. The front suspension was too soft, dived too much under hard riding/braking. I have started mucking about with the rear spring preloads. I was dragging the bottom exhaust muffler during hard cornering too. I’ve adjusted the preload on the rear shocks and fixed the exhaust dragging issue and it appears to have put more weight on the front shocks, effectively preloading the front end. The bike does not dive as much anymore. The down side, the wife complains she slides forward more on the pillion seat now. No biggie, hang-on tighter or don’t come next time. Hope there’s some useful information in there for you.

Rick F

Rick Fasked

Coming from a Harley Road King would the engine vibrations of a Dyna Fat Bob while riding down the road make me wish I had my Road King Back? I really like the looks, the fact it weighs less and how I fit the Fat Bob but my friends say the Dyna vibrates way too much. Thank you.

lotus7
lotus7

I have had 13 brand new Harley Davidsons _ I have had vibration issues with the Softtails. I traded a new FLFTC - the vibration between 90 & 100kmh was so bad that I couldn't see properly. They have since improved the Softails with the addition of an internal balace. The Road King and the Dyna have the same suspension arrangement, the same engine and the same engine mounts so I can't see how anyone could allege that there are differences in the vibration. I understand that there are currently differences in the chassis. I have not had a Road King but I have had an FLHTCU and the FXDF vibrates less than that. I have owned the FXDF for more than two years (the longest I have kept a Harley and have no issues with it . The redesigned chassis in the new series Tourers may improve tracking stability against the Dynas but as to vibration tell your friends 'theyré dreaming'. Good luck hope that this helps. I will not be trading this bike anytime soon.

Blue09
Blue09

i dont believe its that bad at all and would be any worse then the road king. i think its a very good ride

Don
Don

I have a 2011 Fat Bob that I have had for 2 years and the vibration is negligible. Really, it is only at an idle and typical of a Dyna. At higher RPMs it smooths out completely and in 6th gear, I doubt there is any bike as smooth as this.

I test drove a Fat Boy too and even though the Softail frame doesn't vibrate at an idle, it worsens with higher RPMs. I told the dealer they could keep it. If you want something that is smooth and can handle and is a joy to drive ALL DAY long, then the Fat Bob is the only way to go. This has to be the best bike Harley has made.

Get an answer from our members and Harley-Davidson representatives