Honda UMK425

26 questions from our users

Gardens and grounds

Gardens and groundsasked

UMK425

Hey guys. Chasing some information or assistance on a new purchase of a straight shaft umk435. My old model needed to be retired after 14 years faithful service. Never any major problems at all with it. The new one (about 2 months old since purchase) is really giving me grief though with leaking fuel from the cap. This has nothing to do with the venting hole as the fuel can be seen finding its way around the screw threads on the fuel tanks neck when in an inverted position. I've since been to my local dealer and (politely)purchased an additional cap from them also which started leaking within the week. I do not over tighten the cap by the way, so a damaged seal cannot be to blame for the problem. I noticed that my original units tank seal has a slightly different design to its outer edges compared with the new one and it makes me wonder if a cheaper seal is being used by the manufacturer, the rubber not capable of prolonged contact with the fuel in the tank. Even more irritating is the fact that i cannot simply purchase the seal, just the entire cap and seal combo.....Grrrrr. Any feedback appreciated.

Nick S.

Nick S.asked

UMK425

I'm using Honda for heavy duty commercial work in the tropics down under and all i can say there's nothing equal to Honda products so far. For commercial all day use there's nothing else but a four stroke torquey Honda.
Beware of the identical crappy copies!

Nick S.

Nick S.asked

UMK425

4 Stroke HONDA is the best machine in the World.
You definitely need that 4 Stroke HONDA TORQUE and the proper 4 Stroke lubrication instead of playing with 2 Stroke low life Toys!!!

Judy

Judyasked

UMK425

Can you separate the shaft on my Honda whipper snipper

Grant M.
Grant M.

Yeah you can

JMCasked

UMK425 Loop Handle

UMK425E. Engine will not stop after running for about 30 minutes. It is very difficult to stop. Have had this from new for quite a number of years and this is the first time I've had this issue. Is the engine stop switch at fault?

X M.
X M.

Sounds like your stop switch has faulty connection. Remove the red button and look underneath to check for debris. Mine stops the second it is pushed.
You could try turn the choke on and pump primer to flood the engine to stop it if desperate, but this is not recommended.

JMC

Thank for that. I took the switch out but could not take it apart so I sprayed it liberally with electrical contact cleaner, reassembled and it now works perfectly. It is a very good product in general if you keep up the maintenance routines.
Cheers

joeasked

UMK425

Is it save to tilt this unit on its side whilst running to do Edging like footpaths etc ?
Logic tells me if I do this to a 4 stroke and I will seize the motor. If this is true I'm regretting buying this and iI should have got a 2 stroke trimmer which does not matter if you tip it sideways or upside down whilst running because its lubricated by the petrol .

TheOneAndDroney

It’s designed to be used upside down, as is the fuel tank shape and its weighted strainer. The Honda website says “The UMK425 Loop Brushcutter features full 360 "any-side-up" operation, so you can use and store it in any position”

joe

Thanks for the reply , I'm still confused as i thought if you run a 4 stroke motor upside down or sideways the motor it will starve the motor of oil and damage the motor . Whilst you say it can be used upside down , how will this not damage the motor from oil starvation ?

joe

If the Honda website is saying it can be used in any position , What magic are they using to prevent damage to the motor from oil starvation ? - If HONDA state this on their website it must be false and misleading information which defies the laws of physics for gravity .

Frank Mercieca

Frank Merciecaasked

UMK425

How to place cutting chord

MB M.

MB M.asked

UMK425

Anyone know the difference between the Honda UMK 425 and the Honda UMK 425U?

Ian

The UMK425U is the straight shaft with the bike handle.

Ian

UMK is the commercial heavy duty line trimmers. The UMK425U is a straight shaft with a bike handle.

Grahame F.

Grahame F.asked

UMK425

I have a Honda bent shaft HLT422 trimmer I need a gear head is there any compatable parts. It has a square head on the end of the cable inside the shaft.

Pieter C.
Pieter C.

Grahame I have the unit if you are still looking for one. my e-mail is p.cronje@bigpond.com I am in Brisbane.

Colin C.

Colin C.asked

UMK425

how to replace a new head

Mike

Mikeasked

how to restring umk425u

Lorraine H.

Lorraine H.asked

UMK425 Bike Handle

Does my brush cutter have a fuse to start the motor or just the spark plug

Lesley

Lesleyasked

UMK425

Hi, have a near new UMK 425U and just purchased a SSHH hedge trimmer attachment. The UMK 425U has a different drive to the SSHH. The UMK 435U has an eccentric "half moon" and the SSHH a gear share drive. Any ideas?

Gary W.

Gary W.asked

How much does it cost

Chris U
Chris U

Price hovers around $500, to about $450 on sale. I get mine from the big green shed.

Barbara E.

Barbara E.asked

UMK425

How do I grease the head on the UMK425U . There are two screws on the head and are hard to unscrew
Wayne

hchy

hchyasked

UMK425 Bike Handle

Where is the idle screw on a honda brush cutter?

Lois

Loisasked

UMK425 Loop Handle

Seems I have a fuel leak somewhere - not the bulb as that’s been replaced. Anyone have any ideas where I should look?

Ben
Ben

Could be a split in the tank, or the fuel line. Does it leak when the tanks half full? On an angle, and if so which angle? Does the fuel stream out or simply drip? If so from which component does it run from? Is it a heavy smell of fuel or just a damp patch that collects dust? You mentioned the bulb being replaced, is it an old or heavily used machine, and has someone overhauled it and not fitted a fuel component properly? From working on older cars, I used to trace fuel leaks back from the fuel tank until I found the source, perhaps try that troubleshooting approach. Too many ifs at this stage to point the finger at one definite thing.

Samasked

UMK425 Bike Handle

Choke keeps dropping. Any ideas?

Jonno
Jonno

Hi Sam, can you clarify what you mean? If you are talking about the choke lever, it has a detent position when it is raised so it "clicks" in place. If the lever is flopping down from the raised position then something is loose on the choke shaft inside the cowling and am sure your Honda dealer can sort it quickly or somebody mechanically inclined.

Jen R

Jen Rasked

UMK425 Loop Handle

Hey, can anyone advise the best width of trimmer cable for the UMK425? I just use it home but I have a big yard with a lot of concrete edges. Thanks.

AndysFarm

Use the orange line. 2.4mm. Cuting against rock or concrete will need more frequent bumps to spool line out as it will wear more quickly

Vovey

Voveyasked

UMK425 Loop Handle

What are the differences between a made in Japan model and one made in Thailand ? What does a Honda store supply?

AndysFarm

Sorry I cant answer this. Best to ensure you purchase from an authorized Honda dealer. Maybe they would know

Honda UMK425