Kia Rio JB

• Comfort
  • Features
Richard

RichardGreat Southern, WA

Engine misfire and labouring solved. Free

Appears many comments on these cars missing (misfire, running rough).

Commonly it’s the coil pack, which gets replaced solving the problem. Expensive though.

I just found that a small amount of engine oil can leak from the rocker cover gasket and get on the side of the coil pack, and penetrate the rubber boot. This causes a shorting, arcing of the spark.

Clean off the oil, remove the lower boot from the coil and clean that too. Also clean deep inside the chamber leading to the spark plus, with a rag.

My engine misfire was completely solved

Edwina H.

Edwina H.

great first car

could not of asked for a better first car. she stuck by me through thick and thin, I definitely did not treat her right, typical female andeverything. not sure how I managed not to blow the engine up. came close, twice. just wish I had been as kind to her as she with me, as I could not afford the inevitable surgery she needed from lack of service and cheap dodgey repair work

Purchased in June 2011 for $9,000.00.

Sayyed

SayyedGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very good car

I am driving my kia 2009 from last 2 n half years as a Uber 6 days a week 12 hours a day with no problem at all just oil change break pads and tyres. Good on fuel. One tank gives me 500 kms. For engine using penrite 5w 40 . And that’s it

BadgeLS
Date PurchasedApr 2016

AustraReviews

AustraReviewsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good first car

I bought a second hand Kia Rio JB Sedan from a private seller when I was a university student and kept it for about 4 years, mainly for commuting to and from work. It is a good car to buy if it's your first car as it's economical to run and has enough space for adults at the back and a large enough boot.

The downsides of this particular car was that the paint started to wear out even though it was garaged every night and the seats are not that comfortable for long drives. Eventually, I upgraded to a bigger, better car.

BadgeJB
Date PurchasedAug 2013
Julie

JulieMelbourne

Just Perfect

Great and economic car. It served me when i was single and after having family. Never stopped just run smooth. Even its ideal for long trips never let u down. Its a daily car that u can trust driving it. I do a regular service and never had any problems that cost u alot of money. Just regular service

Date PurchasedMar 2013
Digsy

Digsy

Great little car

Very happy with the car. We bought this as a first car for our daughter, read a few reviews about it and went ahead and bought it second hand with 145000 kms on it. Very smooth to drive, but was a little noisey. We discovered the seals around the rear windows was perished, we replaced them which made a huge difference. Nice and smooth in the gear box, fuel economy is great.

Date PurchasedJune 2018
ken

kenPerth, WA

Average little car

Compact car suited to maximum of two adults only, good on fuel not bad to drive, throw away car in terms of major maintance due to the work involved removing gearbox's etc.
No fill holes or level holes on manual transmissions , gearbox snouts wear easily, front wheel bearings don't last terribly long, insufficient lubrication on drive line parts from the factory so they seize or wear prematurely,
OK car if you keep them only along as the factory warranty lasts.

Date PurchasedApr 2008
M. Khaled

M. KhaledPerth

Good value

Overall Good performance.
Good value for money with a low maintenance cost.
Reliable car, I never had an issue with it (done 160,000 so far) , just doing the regular maintenance as per log book.
Fuel efficient and economic.
Good interior design, but it has a lot of cheap plastic in the dash board.

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedJune 2015
Xiaochen

XiaochenMelbourne

Second hand Rio

we name our car as Cherry from the color. This does not have the enough storage space but it is much for two people the normal daily time. It is the automatic car and the power of the car is limited. The car has been served once from we bought it. Others are looks good.

BadgeS
Date PurchasedOct 2016

KG in Brisbane

KG in BrisbaneBrisbane

I'd buy another, without hesitation

BadgeLS
Date PurchasedDec 2008
Ramez

RamezMelbourne

Reliable. Uses more petrol than it should

Purchased a clean example.
Did what it was purchased to do.
Everything works well.
The factory speakers sound so much better with an upgraded stereo system.

Easy to drive and maneuvre.

Unfortunately it uses ore petrol than it should. I was getting ~10L/100km for a 1.6L hatchback. On researching the issue, this seems to be the norm.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Passenger airbag faulty/speedometer stopped working.

This is an average small car for driving/comfort etc. However at about 100,000 km's the airbag warning light came on and would not turn off. Took it to Kia dealership, they said the passenger airbag was faulty, my problem-not theirs. Cost to me to repair $1200. Be very wary of lack of dealer assistance after warranty expires. In addition at 120,000 km's the speedometer stopped working. This is still a work in progress with the auto electrician. A search of the internet shows these are a common problem with the JB Kia Rio's. Kia would have been well aware of these problems but their silence is revealing. Remember, cheap comes with problems.

2006 kia rio hatch 1.6 ltr

I bought the kia in 2006 so am the only owner of the car, ive done 300,000 k's and not an issue, runs as good now as when it was new, still the same battery, brakes and clutch, brakes are at 50 percent still, I have had to bar on it since new and cart 10 ton of wood each year with it, and other odd jobs, Cant fault it way better than my ford or holden with similar k's, don't under estimate these little cars they keep going and going.

Dennis

DennisSouthport,Queensland

2006 KIA RIO Sedan Manual with 1.6L Motor

I bought this car in January 2006 and it has done over 155,000kms.It has been absolutely faultless ,no rattles,I get regularly serviced,economical. I did put on 185/15 tyres when the factory tyres were worn and I can't tell you what a difference to the ride and road handling. The CD player has finally gone so I'll be putting a new one in.The car is in great condition and I'll be keeping for a long time.
Perfect car for requirements!
Definitely put wider 185/15 tyres!

Engine Size1.6L twin cam fuel injection 16valve with variable valve timing. My little red rocket!
mardou

mardouMid North Coast, NSW

Good

I wanted a good cheap car,I got a value for money car that does what I want it to do. I think overall I got what I paid for.
Has everything I need to go travelling,have travelled 25,600 klms.in 12 months Cheap value for money.Kia are supportive.
When it rains or when I wash the Kia Rio the black plastic strips around the car fade to a grey,should be black,I have to repolish with Back to Black,but does not last. Knock in rear, the bush had to be replaced.

honestruth

honestruthAU

Bad

I wouldn't buy a Kia again. I was impressed at the start but not happy with the after service. Very disapointing.
This car is well priced. Lots of cars in stock so easy to get hold off.
The after service was poor. I had an issue with the clutch which was clearly a warranty issue which two mechanics had confirmed. Kia refused to repair it under warranty. Their customer care centre was disgraceful and the person i spoke to was very rude.

Jenny 1958

Engine Size1400
peterv52
peterv52

monaromonaroMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Would I buy another Kia vehicle? No!

Engine Size1.6 litre
Revealing

The topic here is about the 2012 Model SlS and the like and not an older outdated version. Cars do improve you know? And at this stage at 2012 the Rio Reborn is well in and above even the likes of VW

monaromonaro

Rainer, this section of the site is for "2006-2013 Kia Rio". Therefore, the JB model Rio from 2006 fits under this heading. Where does it state this topic is just for the 2012 Model SIS?

Revealing

So it is! I stand corrected. It is rather unusual to show a current model and expand it back to old Bombs? Why anyone would want to expand to include old models is strange

Matt56871354

Matt56871354South East Queensland, QLD

KIA Rio Sport - annoying traits

Revealing

Good point re the Button on Keyless entry. Must keep an eye on it ;-)

david hambleton
david hambleton

I have a friend who has a 2007 rio and I had a 2007 getz. if u bumped the button both if them would relock in 30 seconds. I now have a 2013 fiesta and it relocks in 45 seconds. I dare say yours would be very similar.

OK

Stevenj32
Stevenj32

Our 2012 Rio uses outrages amount of fuel, 7.5lts per 100, our other car was a Mitsubishi Colt, Ralliart, non turbo, twice the power of the Rio, fuel use, 4.9lts per, no noise from mech either, Kia, very disappointing vehicle, never buy again.