Sirius SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

44 questions from our users

Taner K.

Taner K.asked

SL906-L 520

I have a 900 induction cook top. We are currently thinking of replacing our canopy rangehood which is useless. The overhead cupboards will be replaced to accomodate for an undermount rangehood. however, in order to make all the overhead cupboards equal in size our opening will be 760cm meaning we cannot fit the Sirius 850cm.

My question is will the 520 with outboard motor be sufficient over a 900 induction cooktop?

Regards, Tanner

Hi Taner,

Unfortunately no, For a 900mm induction we'd recommend the twin motor onboard 850 model, at a minimum the 850 offboard with the motor no further than 3 metres away. Rule of thumb with a rangehood, the cooking zones should not be greater in width than the hood. A 900mm induction zones are generally 800mm wide in total as they don't go all the way to the edges of the glass. If you installed the 520mm single motor you would have major issues with condensation from the cooktop. Induction cooktops create 60% more condensation than gas cooktops as there is no heat from the flames to burn off residual moisture.

Kind Regards,

richard

richardasked

How do you remove the filters for cleaning please my no is 0424731881

Hi Richard,
The filters are spring loaded, so just grab the knob on the filter and the whole thing forwards, then pull downwards to get the filter out. It can then be placed in the dishwasher to clean and then refitted when it is clean and dry.

Jason Jasked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

We're looking at buying the SL906 L850 and have a query re ducting. The spec diagrams indicate that ducting is from the top of the unit, however the 3D diagram of the rangehood suggests there is a rear outlet. As our rangehood will back onto an external wall, is it possible to duct straight out the back of the unit?

Hi Jason,
The SL906 L 850 is able to rotate the motor so that it is rear venting. You can then install the ducting that is most suitable for your house and rangehood.

Jason J

Thanks Anthony, are the noise levels any different between rear and top ducting?

Hi Jason,
The noise level difference between top and rear venting will be basically the same.

Janet

Janetasked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

Hi, I would like to replace my existing 90cm x 30cm slide out rangehood (Chef model : GHIILKG1W) with the Sirius SL906-L 850 rangehood. As the current distance between my rangehood and cooktop is only 60cm and the requirement is 65cm, can I have the new rangehood installed higher so that it meets the requirement?

Hi Janet,
The rangehood needs to be a minimum of 65cm from the cooktop, so you can have it installed to these specifications. Other specs and installation details are available in the manual on the Sirius website. https://siriusbrand.com/rangehood/850mm-onboard-undermount-rangehood/

Mmmm

Mmmmasked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

what is the noise level on the highest setting?and what is the noise level if you have the motor installed externally? Can you please tell me the difference, thank you

M & A m.

M & A m.asked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

What is the noise rating on the first setting please?

Hi M & A m.,
The noise rating for this rangehood on speed 1 is 47dBA.

positive b.

positive b.asked

Please tell me where to find serial number on SL906L520. Thank you

Hi Positive B,

Remove the Baffle Filters. There should be a silver label with the serial number on it.

ann t.

ann t.asked

Hi there.
we are considering a SL906 52cm over a 600mm electric cooktop and SEM1/8 installed in a cupboard which backs onto the back of the rangehood cupboard. This to the because it is open above the cupboard where the rangehood will be installed but the cupboard behind goes all the way to the ceiling(3.6m floor to ceiling). The SEM would be mounted at least 1.3m higher than the underneath of the rangehood and about 30cm behind in cupboard. This will mean the ducting would need to be rear mounted, then go through 90 degrees, up to motor and continue straight to roof outlet.
We would really appreciate answers to the following queries please:
is the 52cm adequate size for 60 cm cooktop?
Is rear mounting a feature of the sl096 52cm?
Is placement approx 1.6m away from unit sufficient?
Would we be able to upgrade and use a SEM8 with wider ducting, run on lower speed, to lessen noise?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hi Ann,
-> A 52cm rangehood should be fine to extract above a 60cm cooktop
-> The SL906 L 520 can be ducted from the rear, but the offboard motor CANNOT be mounted to the rear of the rangehood. There must be a minimum distance of 2 metres of duct between the rangehood and the motor for optimum extraction, and noise reduction.
-> The duct size cannot be changed. For a rangehood with 150mm ducting such as the SL906 L 520, you must use a compatible motor (SEM 1, SEM 2, SEM 5) and 150mm ducting.

Rosie Darlingasked

SL906-L 850

Hi, looking to purchase a Sirius SL906-L 850 to go above a 90cm gas cooktop.
Does this range hood work well with gas and will it be large enough for the cooktop? Thx

Hi Rosie,
The SL906-L 850 rangehood works great over a gas cooktop, and it is no problem to put a 85cm hood over a 90cm cooktop.

Darko G.

Darko G.asked

Hello Sirius team,
I have in my recently renovated kitchen SL906 Excel 850 range hood. Ive had it for exactly two years. It's a twin motor built into the unit itself and it's mounted slightly higher from the cooking area due to the specific kitchen design which is why I wanted stronger range hood to accommodate the purpose. However, exactly two years since installation one of the motors is starting to sound like it's scraping or winding up when increasing the suction speed and in particular when decreasing the fan/motor speed or when the unit is coming to a STOP. I have proper and factory recommended ducted kit with straight through the roof vent. Being twin onboard motor, the unit was always loud particularly at high speeds but I was OK with that. Nothing to be concerned about, besides you can't expect best suction without some noise. However, this latest noise is not normal operating noise. Almost like a dry, rubbing, winding up or winding down rubbing noise. I have contacted local Sirius department providing them with videos/serial# and invoice. I am awaiting their response but I'd really like to know if there is anything I can do to resolve this issue? Is it recommended to have some sort of lubricant sprayed into the motor or some kind of cleaning... Please help! Thanks

Hi Darko,
Arisit Technical Support will let you know if a technician needs to come out to have a look at the rangehood, or if a part needs to be replaced. In the meantime DO NOT spray any lubricant or anything into the fan/motor. If you are worried about the rangehood damaging itself it would be best to not use it - or run it just on a low setting when cooking - until you hear back from the technical department.

Suranga P.

Suranga P.asked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

I bought full kit of SLEM2900SEM1 from Harvey Norman and everything work perfect but when windy time big noise come through. I complained to my builder and he did perfect seal but nothing change. Can you please advice me, if there something wrong with installation or issue of product.

Hi Suranga,

Please call our technical department on 1300 762 219 for further assistance.

Steve NZ

Steve NZasked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

Hi. Looking to buy a Sirius with SEM1 to mount the motor in roof space about a metre from the hood with vertical ducting to outside. The problem I have though is from hood to motor has to go through a 90mm standard stud wall. Is it OK to use the slimline rectangular ducting through the cavity wall with the 150mm round to slimline rectangular ducting adapters either end?

Hi Steve,
This is possible, but it sounds like a complicated install, so it would be best to get a Sirius Recommended installer (https://siriusbrand.com/recommended-installers/) to come out to have a look at the site before buying the rangehood to make sure it can be done properly. The rectangular ducting and other components are available on the Sirius website. https://siriusbrand.com/product-category/ducting/

Will

Willasked

Hi there,
Purchased the 850 w undermount with external motor,i explained to the salesman it was about 1 metre away from cooktop and what size I would need and he said the single motor would be fine, but after reading up on them I'm not quite sure now

Hi Will,
Just to clarify, did you get the rangehood with the onboard motor (inside the rangehood) or the external motor (where ducting goes from the rangehood to a motor, to the vent). Either way, the maximum recommended distance between the cooktop and the rangehood is 750mm, so any higher than this may cause performance issues. If you are looking for a rangehood that can be installed higher we recommend the SL920 FRESCO undermount, which can go up to 850mm above the cooktop.

Glenasked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

Hi there. Looking for a power pack for a kitchen renovation. These are certainly generally very good reviews. Two questions for a Sirius rep please, we want to put an 850 over a 1200 hob, mainly for price and we only really use the more central burners. Will this work? It certainly looks like it draws well at 1020 m3/h
2) Reading above about a motor failure, how critical really is the ducting? Isn’t a 150mm hole a 150mm hole? We have existing generic ducting installed from our fisher and paykel range hood which is being removed. Thanks.

Hi Glen,
1) We always recommend that the rangehood match or exceed the width of the cooktop, so all burners are covered by the extraction area and so there is enough power to extract when multiple burners are used.

2) Sirius semi-rigid ducting is a very important part of installing a Sirius motor. Due to the high-power of the motor, cheap flexible ducting can't hold up and could buckle or tear, which can damage the rangehood. We always recommend using Sirius Ducting with our rangehoods, and when used, will increase the warranty on the hood from 3 years to 6 years.

Glen

Hi Anthony thanks for the answer. I take on board what your saying about the size and agree but I think it will probably be ok for what we are trying to achieve.
About the duct, I’m in NZ and looking at getting a unit from Harvey Norman. Do you have a duct supplier here so I can look at it? I’m doing to install. Thanks.

Anthony F.Sirius

Harvey Norman in New Zealand will have the ducting for purchase from the store, and they should also have a list of recommended installers depending on your location.

JPD

JPDasked

SL906-L 520

We have an undermount 52cm sirius rang hood but can't seem to be able to remove the filter without scratching the front. Its less than 12 months old. Suggestions??? It looks like there isn't enough room for it to slide out...

Unhappy :(asked

SL906-L 520

I have been happy with my Sirius SL906-L520 rangehood and have had it for 3years and 5 months.
A couple of days ago it started making a terrible noise, I rang Sirius service centre they said it was out of warranty as this is 3 years. I have had a service call and they said I need a new motor! I am very upset about this as I hardly use it and was hoping with the amount of money I paid for it, that it would last me years. It is pretty poor to have the motor go in this unit as I have hardly used it, it was sold to me saying what a high quality and strong unit it was.
Is there any way it could be covered by warranty?

Hi,
Was the rangehood installed with Sirius Ducting? Or did the installer use the ducting already in the ceiling, or a different duct brand?

Unhappy :(

I did buy the Sirius ducting but the installer could not use it as it would not bend enough to be vented out to our side wall in the kitchen. Sirius ducting looked like it could only used if venting straight up to the roof which did not suit our kitchen design. I was able to return the ducting and get a refund.

Hi,
Could you please send through some photos of your ducting set up? We just want to get an idea of the installation so we can see if that had anything to do with the motor issue.

Debasked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

I have Sirius 85cm undermount L906-L850. I've had it for two years.

I periodically put the filters in the dishwasher. Three questions:

1) Is any other cleaning of the unit required?

2) The spec sheet says that there is a clean filter indicator. Can you tell me where it is located?

3) I've read about cleaning an oil tank. Is there such a thing? If so, where is it?

Deborah Brown

Hi Deborah,
1) The other cleaning you can do is occasionally wipe down the control panel and around the sides where there may be some build-up. Sometimes the inside of the rangehood can get some build-up so it might be good to wipe that down occasionally with warm water and a cloth.
2) The 'clean filter indicator' is when all the button lights on the control panel flash at once. There is no problem if you are cleaning your filter before the indicator can go off.
3) There is no oil tank on this unit, and that could possibly be a carry over from another manual. As long as you are cleaning the filter in the dishwasher and wiping down the other parts then you should be fine.
If you have any more questions just let me know.

Deb

Thank you for your very prompt and helpful response.

You have answered all my questions.

Much appreciated.

thescottkid

thescottkidasked

Hi there

We have installed a 520 mm under mounted rangehood in our new kitchen, with external mounted motor. Sirius ducting has been used (about 1m + right angle bend to motor mounted on exterior wall).

It is MUCH noisier than the demonstration model at Harvey Norman, from where we purchased it, even on the lowest speed. We specifically went for the external mounted motor (at considerable extra cost) because of the demonstrated performance at HN andthe good reviews on line.

The excessive noise appears to be coming from the air passing through the grill, not the ducting or motor. Noise does vary with fan speed (ie it's very very noisy on higher speeds). I wonder if there's a problem with the VSD on the motor, so the lowest speed is actually higher than it should be.

I've spoken with HN and they've sent a technician to look at it. The tech could find no fault and advised "they say these rangehoods are super quiet but they're not really that quiet".

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest, and would very much appreciate the manufacturer's view on all this.

Anthony F.Sirius

We recommend a minimum 2 metre distance from the rangehood to the motor so as to move the noise away from the kitchen area. Other factors with the install could be be flaps above the duct connector are blocked/jammed, or the duct itself damaged or blocked. It is difficult to determine the noise issue without seeing or hearing the rangehood but sometimes the demo model can seem a lot quieter due to the different environment and noise level in the store.

Ken B
Ken B

Hi, yes our rangehood is louder than what we saw at Harvey Norman. My wife only occasionally uses the top speed. The specification say the external motor should be at least 3 meters from the rangehood. Ours is roof mounted. Also check if you have good suction on the rangehood because it is hard to connect the duct to the motor, if not connected probably it will be noisier. Hope this helps.

Mick

Mickasked

Hi Sirius Team,
I am about to purchase a SL906-850 unit and instal in an old house with a brick chimney. The exhaust would be routed directly to the chimney with free ventilation to the existing chimney cowling. Could you please advise weather ducting is required, and if so, what purpose would this serve as I have been getting conflicting information.

Many Thanks,

Mick

Gina N

Gina Nasked

SL906-L 520 / SL906-L 850

If i put my filters/baffles in backwards after cleaning them, how do i get them out? they seem to be stuck :(

It's a SU90270

Get an answer from our members and Sirius representatives