Love our home

We just finished building with Smart Homes and got our keys last week. Overall it has been a positive experience.

Our pre build was ultimately the most organized and professional experience of all. Gordon was our go to guy who had to put up with me for some time prior to the build. He custom designed our home and listened to exactly what we wanted. However it came a bit over budget! But we kind of expected that. He was available any time and nothing was a hassle for him. If I changed or added things he was always there to help, even though there was a lot of times! Gordon was the main reason we choose smart homes. An asset to the company for sure. He went out of his way to help with numerous things we needed like rushing through council approvals and meeting me over an hour away to discuss plans.

After a long process planning (by no fault of smart homes) we finally were able to move to prestart. We had Sarah and she knew her stuff. She was onto all matters and all went to plan. The only issue we had with prestart was the lack of communication about picking tiles before prestart, we weren't aware that the tile shop we were sent to didn't do our main floor tile and if we wanted to go through that company it would be extra.

Then onto the build and had Kylie for our client liaison- we were updated with things regularly with our build. We had a few mistakes made by drafting and these were rectified as soon as I brought it to her attention. Also was obliging when I continued to add some more things.

Our building supervisor was good, but felt he was overworked and didn't get enough time on each project. I felt like I needed to be frequently at the build myself. As a few mistakes were picked up.

Handover could have been improved. As we had to go into the city (1hr away) to pick up our keys. The lovely bonus was the handover gift of a video doorbell! The one thing I was disappointed on was the condition the house was left in on handover. I didn't expect rubbish to still be in the yard from workman and the amount of cigarette butts I had to clean up. When I mentioned this to the build supervisor he just shrugged his shoulders. On the final PCI I did find a big list of things to be fixed, I didn't expect alot of it and thought it should have been picked up prior. They were little things but when you are spending so much money expectations should be high.

Since getting our keys, we love our place. The fixtures and fittings are of high quality and the trades that worked on the build were of high standard. We have got a few things that will need repair that we have already noticed but minor, such as a leaking tap and a rusted door handle.

Overall I would highly recommend Smart homes and would build with them again of I ever get the chance, as long as I have Gordon to design it again for me
Thanks Smart Homes

Construction End DateAugust 2019
Hi, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your building journey with us, we appreciate your kind words. We'll be sure to pass on your feedback to our team. Smart Online Team.

Perfect first home experience!

Building with Smart Homes has been amazing journey although there was a slight hiccup in design at the beginning due to council rejection (Ivano, my consultant did his best and put up a good fight to convince the council), the special custom design redesign turned out to be better and create more space in the house. From slab down to practical completion inspection, the build quality was top-notch - no major faults found by my independent building inspector and minor fixes spotted during each phase were rectified immediately by site supervisor, Tony. Building inspector gave a 'Pretty Good' during PCI. Build took 21 weeks, very impressed with the progress and handover was done without any issues. Love the 'smart doorbell' gift :)

Very happy with the flexibility, top quality selections (flooring/tiles/tapwares/sink/basin) and brands (Miele) provided by Smart Homes - many options available to make a designer home. The inclusions are amazingly valued compared to other builders.

The team (Ivano, Sarah, Kylie and Tony) are awesome people to work with, they listened and put in more than 100% to make my dream home a success. My questions were always answered with detailed explanation and honesty and suggestions were always provided when needed.

We are so impressed with the experience that we are building again with Smart Homes for our home down south! For those who are thinking of building with Smarts, I highly recommend Team Smarts!!!

Construction End DateJuly 2019
Hi Crystal, Thanks so much for leaving this glowing review. We're so glad that you enjoyed your building experience and loved all of our amazing selections on offer. Ivano, Sarah, Kylie and Tony really are super stars. We can't wait to build your second home Down South!! Smart Online Team

Building with Smart Homes

We spent a fair bit of time comparing builders before making our decision to go with Smart Homes. Hoesntly, we did not know who Smart Homes were initially but given their competivie inclusions and great sales personel Brandon Hine, we just had to go with Smart.

Our built was completed in Dec 2018 and have moved in since Jan 2019. Going ahead with Smart was the best decision we made. I cannot say that the process was the smoothest, there were definately problems a long the way, but the team at Smart were very quick to resolve them. They were transparent and honest with the information they gave us from begining to end. They gave us as much information as they possibly could, which is great given that it was our first time building, and we hoesntly dint know what we dint know. I had another friend who went ahead with another build, and had things like the microwave recess missing a GPO, because the builder did not "mention" that the recess did not come with a GPO, and this was with one of the major builders (which we will not name), not a small builder. We never had that kind of problems with Smart.

The build quality was definately impressive. Although there are things that needs fixing, just like every other build. They were quick to resolve, and did it the very best they could. Brandon and the team were always responsive to our needs and requests.

We are extremely satisfied with our build thus far, but its not over yet for us, we have yet to go through the defects liability items to be addressed. But Im positive that it will all be taken care of by Smart.

Construction End DateDecember 2018
Hi Lin and Jess, We loved reading through your review! It was so positive and honest and really captured what building your own home is like. We're so so so glad that you are extremely satisfied with your build, as that's 100% our main goal. We wish you a lifetime of happiness in your new home. Smart Online Team

You never gave up on us !

Damian and Neil you never gave up on us - Thank you so much for your outstanding service and patience with us designing our dream home. Other builders promised us the world but did not deliver - it has been a long process but we got there in the end. As this is our Forth build and our last it was so important to get it right - you worked with us and gave us your time and never gave up and we appreciate it so much - if this is the type of service Smart Homes offer im excited for this journey. Bring on prestart.

Build StagePre-Construction
Hi Lynda, Thank you for sharing your great experience with us! We are so proud of Damo, Neil & the team and look forward to seeing your home come together. We think you'll love the pre-start selection stage! Smart Online Team

We finally got there thanks to Smart Homes

Due to Personal reasons it has been a long process to get to slab down. But thanks to smart homes mainly Damian and Sarah they have made everything much easier.

Build StagePre-Construction
Hi Kayla, Thank you so much for sharing your review with the team! We are so pleased to here you had a great experience and we will be sure to pass on the good news to Damian and Sarah. We wish you a lifetime of happiness in your new home. Smart Online Team

Great experience!!

From start to finish, building my first home was a great experience. Have already started recommending friends! I will definately use smart homes if i build again. No hassle, stress free and great deals!

Construction End DateApril 2019
Hi Richo, What great a great review. We are so pleased you had a wonderful experience with Smart Homes and really appreciate the recommendations! Wishing you all the best in your home, Smart Online Team

Best home builder in the South West

Our build was extremely well managed - we were kept fully updated and informed throughout the entire process
Quality of entire build is above excellent
Zero hidden costs - in fact we received a refund at the end - and build was quicker than we anticipated
Any post completion issues have been dealt with very efficiently

Construction End DateApril 2019
Hi Mark, Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We always aim to ensure the best possible customer service and keeping our clients informed throughout the process is an important part of this! Wishing you all the best in your new home. Smart Online Team

Amazing building experience

We loved our consultant toddy benson and our other reps Scotty and phoebe such a pleasant and stress free experience so happy with our design and finished product thank you smart homes!!!

Construction End DateDecember 2018
Hi Fiona, Thanks for choosing to build with Smart! We really value your feedback and will be sure to pass this onto the team. Wishing you a happy future in your beautiful new home!

First time building was made a breeze

As a first time builder I had no idea where to start. Ivano Rizzacasa was recommended to me by a work colleague. Ivano made the process seamless in choosing what kind of homes I wanted to build, and what kind of home I could afford to build. His relaxed approach shone through, compared to the used car salesman approach I received from another building company's consultant.

Sarah Bailey was a godsend at prestart. Most people would be excited about choosing colours, tiles etc, but I was terrified of making the wrong choices, and felt overwhelmed with so many choices. Her guidance got me to an interior finish I am in love with.

Kylie Mason was my liaison officer throughout the build and was prompt addressing any issues or questions I raised.

The build ran smoothly and quickly, with settlement of land purchase on 30 June and keys in my hands the week before Christmas. I had an independent building inspector at PCI who advised the build had no issues apart from minor surface defects, which were rectified. Smart have corrected any issue I have found to date promptly (window issue and driveway issue) and I'm just about to do my 6 month maintenance report. Again only minor issues to report (drip at a gutter join, door lock not straight).

I would recommend Smart Homes based upon my experience with them.

Construction End DateDecember 2018
Hi Rosanna, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us! We are so pleased that Ivano, Sarah, Kylie and the team provided a seamless, stress free building experience for you. What better way to start the festive season than with a key handover! We wish you a lifetime of happiness in your new home, Smart Online Team

Outstanding service - beautiful home!

Our process of gaining our beautiful home was a breeze! We found a design through one of their consultants Facebook and we set up a meeting instantly to go over the costs and the process of the build and areas to purchase land in.
Everything was explained in detail and we were happy to go ahead with the process
Quickly we moved to our pre start meeting to choose all the finishes we wanted and with a little guidance from the pre start consultant everything was locked in.
Soon we were at the stage of beginning construction. Everything along the way to do with document signing ect were so easy and if we had any problems at all that were quickly and efficiently rectified.
When it came to the handling over of keys and receiving our house for the first time they were able to bring the date forward for us as I work FIFO, which goes without saying they went above and beyond to help get us into our beautiful home!

Construction End DateFebruary 2019
Hi, Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so proud of the team for going above and beyond to ensure you were able to move in early. We wish you a lifetime of happiness in your beautiful new home. Smart Online Team

End result is great!

Quick Summary: Our end product is really great and couldn't be happier! But getting there was a lot harder than it should have been, fortunately smart homes handled it in a good way which is why i think they deserved a 4 star!

Review:
Consultation:
Our Consultant Brandon Hine was amazing! Definitely the highlight of the whole thing. He helped us get the most out of our unique section and really helped us get what was in our heads out on paper. We practically redesigned one of the pre drawn homes to our needs and they were great about it, no fuss and allowed us to change it many times up until prestart. By that point it was barley recognizable and we were really happy and have had so many compliments about the design, its quite surprising actually but I guess its not like a typical 'corridor house' with hallways every where etc. that you see so often. Brandon went out of his way to get us a discount on the land and from the builder and for that we are grateful :)

Pre Start:
Pre start was great, had a good selection and allowed us to choose our own oven brands that they didn't supply and it was all smooth. Only surprise we had was the redraw fee since we wanted 1 course brick instead of 2 course and since we hadn't specified that before pre start we had to pay for a redraw fee.

Build:
This is where we had a few problems:
Our first problem was that the block 2 blocks over from ours was leveled instead of ours and when the guys came to lay the slab they found a non prepared site. This set us back a few weeks and was something that should have been spotted before the slab guys got there.

Our second problem was the slow bricklayers. We were told that the brickies team had left on him and we had one guy laying the bricks for our house. It took months to get it done and eventually they had to get another team to finish it. Although not really smart homes fault it was still a negative in my mind and something that should've been done sooner especially after wasting our time with the slab.

Lastly we had an issue a few months after we had moved in. Our sewer pipe had been connected to the storm water drain. This had occurred because we share a long driveway with one other house and in the middle there is storm drain. Our soak well was supposed to have been connected to the storm water drain but instead the sewage was and our soak well was connected up to nothing. We had suspicions something was wrong since it stunk in our driveway. But one night after heavy rain the water in the storm water drain had reached the height of the pipe so that the sewage couldn't get out and had caused water to pool in our showers and toilets to make gurgling noises. That night we contacted smart home on an emergency number and they instantly sent out someone to drain the storm water and offered for us to stay in a hotel on them. By the next morning they had plumbers re connect the piping correctly. Now this was a bad mistake but i think the way they handled it was great and we aren't the kind of people to get angry about things like this, it just happens.. Im just extremely pleased with their response and to me that is a sign of a great builder! I've had friends with builders who wont do anything for them post build.

Now besides those three things, we couldn't be happier! We have been in our house for just over a year and it has been great! Hardly any issues, some minor cracking and a leaky pipe but smart homes was more than happy to fix those things straight away. The build quality is great and we have had many compliments about how good it looks! All finishes were done to a great standard and I have yet to find something I'm not happy with.

Post Build:
We had a lot of things done post build including; Painting, Curtains/Blinds/Shutters, Skirting boards, Splash back etc.. Smart homes allowed us to have the key early to let our painters and splash back guys in to get done before key handover. I thought this was really great of them and allowed us to move in that much earlier.

Although its been one year we are still waiting on a few things to be finished from our 6 month inspection. We should have probably messaged them sooner to remind them but we shouldn't really have to...

Overall:
I don't plan to ever build again but if i had to i would most likely build with smart homes. I think we were just rather unlucky and at the mercy of the contractors when most of our problems occurred and if not for that the actual dealing with smart homes has been great!

Construction End DateMarch 2018
Hi Chase, Thank you for your comprehensive review. We appreciate your transparent feedback. Your lovely words are truly appreciated and we have passed them on to the team. We will certainly take on your feedback regarding the less enjoyable areas of your journey so we can evolve and improve our service for our customers. From the entire Smart team, thank you! Enjoy many years of happiness in your new home. Smart Online Team

Great service, great people and a great build!

From the initial consultations with Brandon to the client liasons with Phoebe and walking through the site with Tony, the whole process was flawless. People make a business and Smart homes have some of the best in these three individuals.

I’m delighted with the end result and any issues have been dealt with promptly and efficiently. I would build with Smart again!

Build StagePost-Construction
Hi Paul, Thank you for your review! We are so pleased Brandon, Tony and Phoebe provided a smooth building journey for you. We are very lucky to have such a wonderful team and it's reviews like this that make all of our hard work so worth it! Kind regards, Smart Online Team

Smart Homes are awesome

Built with Smart Homes 3 years ago and loved it. My rep Gordon was awesome and really looked after me with all my questions. The build process was easy and the end product was better than I expected. Would recommend to anyone and everyone.

Construction End DateJuly 2016
Hi Brandy, thank you for your kind words! We are so proud of Gordo and the team for providing you with such awesome support throughout your build. We wish you a lifetime of happiness in your beautiful new home. Smart Online Team

Life is babs

The whole experience was awesome, leon and fadi were fantastic and very friendly and hardworking what ever we said the boys backed us so really great. cheers boys love yas

Build StageMid-Construction
Hi Michael, What fantastic feedback! Leon & Fadi are certainly legends and we have no doubt your home is absolutely stunning. We'll pass on the great to news to them. Smart Online Team

What a thrill and experience

My wife Natasha and I have never built a home before so we were a little green when it came to a design and build, we knew what we wanted and who to build with but the extra little bits and pieces that came along with it threw us a little. The goal was to build a nice big family home that would last us a fair while that has plenty of room and space for our family to enjoy whilst being stylish and modern at the same time.
Leon and Fadi are the best at what they do and nothing has ever been a drama or a challenge for the guys , we couldn't recommend them enough. So far it has been great.
Whilst we are still in pre construction we can't wait for the final product and the house warming party.
Owen & Natasha BP-754-2019

Build StagePre-Construction
Hi Owen & Natasha, We are so pleased you have had a smooth sailing building process with us and we'll be sure to pass on your kind words to Leon, Fadi and the team here at Smart Homes for Living. We love creating beautiful family homes that host a lifetime of memories and look forward to handing over the keys to you soon. Warm regards, Smart Online Team

Delivered on what they promised

We have built before with another company & while they were good, Smart Homes has provided a more comprehensive service & delivered value for money & a complete home with lots of designer specs.

Construction End DateFebruary 2019
Hi Mat, Thanks for your awesome feedback. We pride ourselves on providing excellent value and product selections so we couldn't be happier to hear you are thrilled with your Smart Homes for Living experience. Enjoy your new home! Smart Online Team

Friendly and Efficient- got exactly what we asked for!

We designed our first home with Leon & Fadi. Couldn’t speak highly enough of these two guys. Every idea we had they managed to incorporate and include in a custom floor plan. Everything was stress free! Same goes for prestart, our ideas were never shut down but rather encouraged and made possible! The patience and interest we received from all angles of pre construction was all we could have ever hoped for. We are now in Early stages or construction and couldn’t be more excited. Thanks team Smart Homes!

Build StageMid-Construction
Hi Jess & Brandon, Thank you for sharing these kind words with our team. Leon & Fadi are not only gems in our eyes but they are also extremely knowledgeable - we'll be sure to pass on the great news to them! The exciting stage is yet to come and we look forward to handing you the keys to your beautiful new home. Smart Online Team

Amazing Building Experience

My partner and I met Neil Morris at the first display home we went to whilst looking for a builder and after looking around we decided to go with Neil and Smart Homes for Living. He was approachable, professional and laid back which made us feel comfortable and confident in him. He was flexible with times for meetings which helped us a lot and always went above and beyond to answer any questions we had. Neil's design ideas were fantastic and we are so impressed with how the house turned out. The prestart process was seamless with Tess. She had great advice for us and we are so happy with all the decisions we made. We then liased with Phoebe through the construction process who was always prompt in answering our many queries. She was super professional and we really appreciated all the time she took in communicating with us and helping us. Scott was our building supervisor and he was always prompt for meetings and helpful with any concerns we had. The build itself was amazingly stress free and quick. The slab went down November 2017 and we moved in April 2018. We've had minor issues since the build (eg. aircon zones incorrect) but these have all been fixed relatively quick. The only real negative I have in regards to the build is that the fly screens are of low standard in my opinion. They use 4 pieces of rubber to hold it into the window frame as it's too small and would rattle otherwise. Also, 6 months after handover Ventura Home Group take over and their communication has been poor. Often they don't respond to emails or take weeks to do so. Our experience with Smart Homes for Living has been hard to fault and I highly recommend them!

Construction End DateApril 2018
Hi Amy, Wow thanks for this amazing feedback! We are so proud of Neil and the team for ensuring you had a smooth building journey. Neil certainly knows what he's doing when it comes to custom design! It's feedback like this that makes our goal of creating new homes so worthwhile. We wish you many years of happiness in your new home. Kind regards, Smart Online team.

Love our new Home

Being a young couple we were very hesitant and unsure of what to do whether to buy established or build. After going to many home opens we discovered we were fussy and knew what we wanted! We then decided that we didn't want to rush in and buy a house but build one that we were 100% happy with.

We hate being pestered by sales people and didn't go to any display houses at all for that reason so we did a bit of research online and had 2 company's to choose from. After looking at online reviews on a shonky builders FB page the other company was out. We found an awesome modified design we loved on Facebook and constacted the sales person.

The sales guy drove a long way to meet us after hours to show us the design and go through pricing and even did a lot of research for land for us. He was what we hoped for and got straight to the point being 100% honest and was not pushy at all. We met back up with him a few days later to put a deposit on our house and land !

We were so happy and excited. After waiting a few months we got out contracts and plans but obviously had to make a few changes. This prooved to be more difficult than it should have been as every time we were sent an updated plan it was missing something or it wasn't exactly what we asked ( all of this back and fourth was over the phone) this would have been a lot easier if we met up in person. We also had issues trying to get in contact with our sales guy as he disappeared overseas for weeks without notice however we got there in the end.

We had visited almost 10 display homes before our prestart and picked every option/detail as we love to be organised. The girl we had for our prestart was awesome and super helpful but we snagged an issue, the tile we had chosen had been discontinued so we had to choose another on the spot. After thinking alot we really did not like any of the main floor tiles and decided before the house goes in to construction to change it.

We went to imported ceramics which is where they get the tiles from and chose another one. We knew we would have to pay more because they were not standard range tiles but we're okay with that. We then found out smart homes would not lay they tiles because they were rectified and porcelane which was weird because alot of tiles these days are rectified.

We moved on and took the tiles out of the contract and would get them done ourselves after the build.

The build went super smoothly and everything happened exactly when they said it would. I had family members go through who were in trades to inspect and they were happy with the quality and workmanship so far.

We then go to practical completion where we noticed a few small bits and bobs which needed fixing we also noticed one of the wardrobes was missing the sliding doors to which the supervisor didn't even know about and had completely missed which made us a little bit nervous however it got done the next week along with the other few small things.

The house was finished and we we're super happy and about to pick the keys up but received a phone call the day before from one of the building managers, he said he had a walk through our house but wasn't happy with the plastering (we took painting out of our contract) we had not noticed the condition of the walls as it was just plastering and no paint however apparently the way it was applied was rough and the guy who did it wasn't their normal plasterer. The building manager said there was alot of prep work for a painter to fix the walls before painting and didn't want us to get the keys and have painters charge us thousands to prep the walls.

Smart homes offered to paint our whole house free of charge for something we may not have even noticed which we though was awesome despite the fact that the plasterer did a bad job. We are just so glad they they noticed it and fixed it!

During our build we had referred our friends to build with smart homes and at the time they had a $1000 cash promotion for each person you refer and builds with smart homes. After their slab was laid we were suppose to get our $1000 and contacted the guy who did the sale and he said he was working on it. This went back and fourth for about 3 or 4 weeks to which we ended up contacting the office instead. We contacted them 3 times about it and after a week nobody got back to us.

I was quite upset about this and decided to make a post about it on a certain Facebook building page to which I had 3 workers for smart homes message me (one of them was the manager of the southwest division) she was super helpful and promised I would get the $1000 within a business day to which I did! :)

In the end we are so happy with everything and I'm only nit picking the small things. We love our new home and after reading about some real horror stories of W.A builders we are glad we went with smart homes and we are so happy to recommend Smart Homes for Living to all of our friends!

Construction End DateJune 2018
Hi Blake, thank you for your great feedback! We really appreciate the time and effort you have taken to give us a detailed review. We are pleased to hear that the team were able to address your concerns quickly and provide you with an overall smooth building journey. For us, there's nothing better than hearing our clients are satisfied with the process and their beautiful new home. We wish you a lifetime of happiness. Smart Online Team

Such an easy process

As first time builders, we didn't full understand the whole building process. What eased this whole experience was the many great team members at Smart Homes. Brandon Hein (New Homes Consultant) was really easy to talk to and was always available in person, and at the end of the phone, answering all our questions. He went to great lengths to ensure we got what we asked for, even after we changed our minds a couple of times! Pre-start was really exciting as there were so many options to choose from. Phoebe Gonzalvo‑Hall​ (Client Liaison) was amazing at keeping us up-to-date with the build progress and always contacted us with any news or issues that arose throughout the build. Our building contractor Josh was also very involved and committed in our build. He was also good at explaining things to myself as he knew I had no prior knowledge of construction.
From start to finish (6 months total!), I can honestly say Smart Homes are a really efficient, thorough, professional and speedy company, that we would definitely use again should we decide to build our second home!
Great work everyone!

Construction End DateDecember 2018
Hi Sarah, Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We are so happy you felt supported and informed throughout your building journey and will be sure to pass this great feedback to our team. We wish you many years of happiness in your new home. Kind regards, Smart Online Team