Volkswagen Golf Mk.5

Volkswagen Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Volkswagen? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
Lina F.
Lina F.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Extremely Disappointed!

Economic and powerful

Ive used this 2007 tdi Sportline manual model for 4 years now, and I do 60K kms per year.
Apart from the normal wear and tear, its been a rock.
Only use premium fuels in VWs as I believe the hi spec engines need it.
The now outdated CD navi system packed it in a couple of years ago, but big deal.
Quality of interior is in a class on its own compared to its japanese/ korean competitors.
And I live only 300 meters from the beach, and no sign of any rust.
Im buying another one......

Purchased in July 2016 for $10,000.00.

Smith
Smith

Love them, best car I have ever owned

I own the volkswagen golf r32 and it is an amazing car. I like that it came with leather seats as a standard accessory. My golf it spec'd up with sat nav, parking sensors, sun roof and Bluetooth. For me, I like the sound, performance and handling of this car. I'm not impressed with the newer golfs though.

Purchased in October 2013.

GemmaGSydney, NSW

The TSI 1.4litre manual Golf 2010 brought brand new - complete engine failure in Feb 2019

Purchased in June 2010 for $38,000.00.

GemmaG

Further to this: Under Australian consumer law any product, including vehicles are expected to last the reasonable life time for that type of product.

Emz
EmzSydney

Love it little zippy r32

Always been skeptical of vws due to bad reviews from others. However I love my little hatch it's a powerful zippy bug, put your foot down and this thing roars! Keep the services up to date and up should have no issues. Dsg gearbox needs to be serviced every 60,000 kms which is a headache, but great car.

BadgeR32

Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Keiko Appleby
Keiko Appleby

Most reliable car I ever owned

My husband bought me a MK5 Golf Hatchback (Pacific) for my birthday and I am absolutely pleased with this car being so reliable, tough, economical and good looking. I love the torque that she's got, DSG gearbox and the way she handles. I would keep this car as long as I can :) Thanks VW!!!

Badge110TDI Highline
Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedNov 2012
Steven
Steven

Amazing first car

Its a perfect car for a couple rather than a family the engine is very quiet compared to other cars and the windows and overall body are very soundproof and block out outside noise. The interior is very comfortable and the dashboard is easy to read. I dislike the manual winding that is required when adjusting the seat though.

Badge90TSI Trendline
TransmissionManual
Engine Size1.6
Date PurchasedSept 2016
Will
WillNewcastle

Great Reliable Car.

Very reliable car. Haven't had to spend any money on it at all. Great safety features and uses no fuel at all. I would buy another one in a heart beat. Dream car. Drives very smooth and has enough power for all my needs. Quality built. Great car would recommend to anyone. You won't be disappointed.

Badge103TDI Comfortline

Badge118TSI Comfortline
Engine Size1.4
Date PurchasedJune 2009

Let the buyer beware.

Had a 2007 vw golf 2.0fsi. Bought it 2015 Oct, won't change gear 3 weeks after. Had valve body changed, cost me $3500. 2 months after that, head lining fell. And then gear box had another problem... not a reliable car to buy.
I will not buy another VW golf again.

BadgeComfortline

BadgeR32
Keith d.
Keith d.AU

Let the buyer beware.

Have always driven German cars. VW Beetle, Mercedes, Kombi and VW Golf diesel. This, my present TDI 2.0, has been a disappointment.
Yes, good fuel economy: 1000 km from the 55 ltr tank but considering present resale value of just $10.000 for my "as new" looking Golf with just
80.000 km on the clock, bought new for $38.000 . . . . . . That makes it a very expensive car to drive.
The serious issues of the DSG gearbox and the latest fuel scandal seriously impacted not just the Volkswagen brand but also the "Made in Germany" logo. My VW Golf was never actually made in Germany but assembled in South Africa.
We all lost: The owners, the dealers, the Company. World wide. Not just in Australia.

Badge103TDI Comfortline

Read more reviews - page 2See all Volkswagen Golf reviews

George
Georgeasked
Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

2007 got sport TDI VW golf 2ltre turbo.
What does it mean when engine light comes on, than coil light flashes and exhaust light comes on???
Also since then my turbo stopped working

tashah__
tashah__asked
Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

Hi guys have the chance to buy 2007 Volkswagen Golf Comfortline V Manual MY08 with 167 full service history etc, are they cars reliable and will be used 95% highway driving for work

Pablo
Pablo

Check out when the next cam belt change is due to be changed. It will attract a $1,000+ expense. Make sure it doesn't have a bad accident history. I think they're generally OK and reasonably reliable for a commuter car but I'd be going Corolla/Civic instead as I think generally they're more reliable, have identical performance and economy and will be easier on the wallet.

Mr_coz1
Mr_coz1

I'd go for a Japanese car

pomhall
pomhall

My Golf has been very reliable and is at 150K KMS. I did have the cam belt changed not sure on cost, services are reasonable outside of VW garages. The smaller engine golfs are great in a straight line and motorway driving does suits them. The Golf will feel far safer as the build quality is far superior to other cars in its class. Also once you have it I would look for a mechanic familiar with VW who is reasonable.

Francis N.
Francis N.asked
Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

Hello chaps, I'm looking into buying a golf MK5 2005-2008 and wondering which petrol engine is the best of them all(apart from the GTI line, as I don't have the finances to match it up). And please get me a heads up on the problems I'm bout to face and ways I can "maybe" avoid them. Thanks Alot!

Pss:I'm not contemplating btn it and any other type/brand for that matter. I'm all in golf. Just not sure of the best engine to go with.

Volkswagen Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

Compare all 21 Volkswagen Golf