Volkswagen Polo MK5.I 6R

Volkswagen Polo MK5.I 6R (2010-2014)

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Volkswagen

• Comfort
  • Features
Dave
DaveGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

What a lemon and awful servicing!!!

We bought the car brandnew in 2013. Regularly maintained, low kms.
Suddenly had a transmission issue (won’t reverse out of garage) beginning of lockdown in March. Towed to VW Gateway.
Cost just under 3k. Then driven less than 5x around the area as it is still lockdown. BROKE AGAIN!!! And now it’s a gearbox issue? Would cost another 3k or so??!!!
And of course both Gateway & VW are saying it’s not related to the fix they did.
Thank you, VW. NEVER AGAIN. Avoid at all cost, people.
We have always driven Audis, i thought it would be a similar build and servicing. Not at all.

Purchased in May 2013 at Kevin Dennis VW for $24,000.00.

RMF
RMFSouth East Queensland, QLD

VW Polo cosmetically great, mechanically poor.

ConsumerOz
ConsumerOz

Great car

Brilliant little go-cart.
Perfect for running around town but also super comfortable for long trips. Easiest thing to park. Great "go". Lots of fun. Responsive steering. Nothing went wrong mechanically in 6 years after which we updated to new model.
Loads of space. Huge boot - couldn't believe how much we could get in the boot. Deceptive in size. Lots of leg-room for a little car. Quality finish inside and out. I have no idea why people buy toyotas or mazdas at the same price when they now have such cheap finishes and are less practical.
Reliability +++++

Badge81TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedDec 2012
ethan
ethan

Great fun but sensible car!

Engine Size1.4 Turbocharged & Supercharged
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Jess
JessMelbourne

Great little fast car

Great to drive and very low cost to run. This fantastic car is the best I’ve bought so far. The service VW offer is very good too. Although they are expensive you get warranty on al their work. I bought the car second hand but it’s in great condition and drives well

Date PurchasedNov 2017
jme
jme

little car that is a pleasure to drive

although it may look small on the outside, the inside is quite spacious for a person that is 6ft. it is really good on petrol, only 6L/100km which saves me alot of money in the long run. it handles really well in all conditions, even off road. the inside is very luxurious and feels alot more expensiv than it really is. the speaker system works better than most other cars i have been in.

Badge81TSI Comfortline

2011 VW Polo 1.6tdi nightmare

Badge66TDI Comfortline
Engine Size1.6L Turbo-Diesel
Date PurchasedJan 2015

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Mia U.
Mia U.Sydney, NSW

Love it!

Bought this second hand car a year ago and its still drives like a dream! It's a 2012 VW Polo TDI with the sports package and comfort package with panoramic sunroof. People mistake it as a Golf all the time... AND YES DIESEL! It has not failed me at all, even after the emission recall. Its zippy, practical and comfortable for city driving. Cannot fit five adults though - very crammed! Other than that, I am going to be keeping the car for a long while :)

Badge66TDI Comfortline

BwatirSydney, Australia

Dissatisfied POLO

Tan
TanVictoria, Australia

Warning!! Please do not buy this car!!!

Badge77TSI Comfortline
Engine Size1.2L Turbo Petrol
MissyR
MissyRMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Love my little red polo

My car is the 12.5 model and I've never had any of the issues people are talking about. Done 80000 kms. I think vw must have fixed the DSG problems in the older models because my car has never skipped a beat and I've done a lot of kms. only thing I can say is I guess all cars have the odd lemon, mine is great! Very happy! There will always be negative reviews online, time to even up the odds.

Vern
Vernasked
Polo MK5.I 6R (2010-2014)

2010 polo
Had problems with dash cluster not working and wouldn’t start ,
Checked the fuses and started working again,
Now clock and fuel gauge not updating.
What could be the issue?

Lindzasked
Polo MK5.I 6R (2010-2014)

Hi, I'm looking at a 2013 polo gti
It has 143,000 on the clock should that matter? services are all up to date With history

ChrisD

The best thing to do is to take it into a workshop for a pre-purchase inspection; most mechanics or workshops can do these. They will be able to get a good idea on the engine's health and the overall car. It has saved me from buying the wrong car a few times (Even cars I thought were perfect). Kms are a good gauge on the health of the car, but if it's been modified or driven very hard it can wear an engine out a lot quicker, especially with turbo charged cars.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for your reply!
how do I go about asking the selling about getting one of these done before buying it?

No problem!

The easiest way is to get in contact with a mechanic in your area that does pre-purchase inspections and check availability. Then ask if the seller would be able to drop the car in for a pre-purchase inspection at a time that suits them. Then you can pay the workshop direct. I've even had sellers let me take it down to a workshop myself when they didn't have time. I did leave them with a deposit and my details though. If the seller is confident in their car, they shouldn't have any issue with you wanting to get it checked out :)

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Volkswagen Polo MK5.I 6R (2010-2014)

Compare all 10 Volkswagen Polo