Yamaha MT-07 Questions & Answers

15 questions from our users

D4N1EL985

D4N1EL985asked

Hi guys,
I have just finished my two day training course and I am about to go for my learners next week. I've had my eyes set on an MT-07LA (Blue) and would like to ask for some honest opinions. Now I am a big bloke, 6'3" @ 145kg, and I would like to know if this bike is going to be right for me? I rode a Honda CB125 (1st bike i've ever been on) for the course with no issues. I am guessing with the higher engine output, the MT-07LA is going to be bigger and certainly more powerful. I have been reading that the back suspension/shock isn't all that great and I am wondering if my being a bigger build is going to make this bike an unlikely choice (which will be very sad if that is the case.) It is going to be my daily commuter as we're selling our two cars for a new upgrade, the wife gets the car, I get a bike, YAY!!!

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan...

Chris

Hi there, this will be alot different for you as the bike is very Torquey. I weigh just over ninety kilos so my experience is different to what yours would be. Most bikes are tuned to suit a ninety odd to a hundred kilo rider, I'm unsure of what riding experience you'd have on a stock suspension mt07. The only thing I'd be worried about for you is definitely the suspension, the power and anything else you'd be worried about is all up to your control :) if you're just going to be commuting the bike will be absolutely fine, it's just if you decide to take it for a more spirited ride in the twisties you'd probably pick up the suspension imperfections. Honestly just take one for a test ride, you'd be surprised how willing dealerships are to let you take one for a test ride. They're a beautiful bike to ride and when I test rode one it caused me to buy it haha whoops wish you luck in your bike hunt :)

Doogal33asked

Yamaha MT-07

I am an older bloke and brand new to the world of motorcycle riding. I have sought advice from a number of mates, some like me older blokes not long starting out and others who have been riding for many years. I have my L's and now its time to buy a LAM approved first bike. I am 6'0" and 105kg's. The Yamaha MT-07 comes highly recommended and my first choice but from the comments here may not be the ideal first bike. I have also considered the Kawasaki z400 and Z650 and Honda CB500F. I am looking to buy new rather than save a couple of grand and buy second hand. Any feedback welcome.

Chris

Hi there, personally the mt07 is an amazing first bike. If I had the budget that would've been my go to hands down, the only down side of the mt07 would be the suspension but that'll only affect you if riding hard in the twisties. If riding semi aggressive or laid back riding the mt07 is absolutely incredible! The torque these bikes produce and the exhaust note (akrapovic full system fitted to demo bike) caused me to fall in love with the bike & found myself purchasing the bike even though beforehand I had no intention of buying it. I had my full licence and had no problems with buying a learner approved bike, the mt07 has no lack in power for the road and especially for a learner. You will not regret purchasing this bike, I hope this helped you a little :) good luck

Doogal33

Thanks Chris, feedback appreciated. The 07 looks fantastic but I am a little concerned it may get away from me though due to my inexperience and its torque/power. Probably the best looking bike of the bunch and as a few of my mates have told me, its all in the wrist. You only go as fast as the turn the throttle. I am leaning towards the CB500F with its less torque etc but this might be a false sense of security.
cheers
Craig

Chris

Hi again, the mt07 is very Torquey indeed but it is just like you said all in your wrist :) I must say I was experienced with powerful bikes beforehand, I found the mt07 to be very forgiving in the way the power does come on. Yes if you give it a handful your front wheel will go up in the first two gears but to be honest you'd have to be meaning it to actually get it there, when you're learning on it just take it nice and easy and you'd be very surprised at how easy these bikes are to ride, extremely forgiving in corners due to the soft suspension that I think you being inexperienced will definitely benefit from. I've owned both the lams and HO version and I had to get the second as I absolutely loved the bike and the character that comes with it :) if you decide to take one out for a test ride, trust me you will not regret it. All the best with your bike hunting, be careful though as the test ride will make you want it haha
Sorry for the late response, no notification of your response.

Madpup1

Madpup1asked

Yamaha MT-07

Hey guys, I have an MT07 2015 model about 14,500ks on it been a great bike went well, just had it serviced and took it for a ride and noticed every now and then when I shift down gears coming into a corner to slow down it conks out and dies, and then will start straight away again. Just wondering if anyone may have an idea with whats going on cheers

Brad & Marika M.asked

MT-07HO

How much have you paid for a HO ride away in QLD? I have been told that I should be able to get one for $11 if I’m buying other stuff on top.

Kaptin Kyle
Kaptin Kyle

Sorry mate I thought I wrote the review under the LA model. The bike was 2 years old and cost $7000

Joel B.
Joel B.

hey brad how did u go with price im lookin in brissy

Brad & Marika M.

Hey Mate. I ended up getting one used for $7500 and had it shipped up from Victoria. It had been owned by a 50 year old chick and had big chicken strips. 2017 model with 16,800km... in great condition with lots of carbon fibre bits and heated grips. This was March last year now. Anyway, I did the DNA filter and got it tuned so it’s mental enough for me. Lots of fun. Highly recommend. If you can, buy one used with all the stuff already done to it... exhaust etc... HO’s are rare and great machines. The money you save can be put towards a set of Michelin road 5’s and getting the suspension sorted. I am yet to do this but the bike really would benefit from a better rear shock and maybe better sorted fronts. [contact details removed] is my mobile if you have further questions. Name is brad. Cheers!

Mark

Markasked

MT-07HO

Is the MT 07 lams standard exhaust the same as the MT 07 HO exhaust?

Brian
Brian

Yes same exhaust on all 4 models including the XSR

Dave C

Dave Casked

MT-07HO

Can I get a replacement service book and tool kit also manuals?

Jason

Jasonasked

MT-07LA

Hi, I'm looking into buying an MT-07. I've seen a number of decent ones at dealerships with fair amount of kms on them and one in particular I found has done over 48000kms. I am particularly keen on that one as it is within my budget but should I be worried about a model with that many kms on the motor? Cheers.

hello Jason,

service history and overall condition are a lot more important than the kms travelled. regular oil changes are important and heed the drive chain/belts.

in my opinion, 40,000 for an MT07 (is it Lam or HO?), is quite a high figure given the model was released in 2015/2016 and normally a motorcycle mileage is twice a car’s given the way it is ridden “thus” trashed.

on the side note, once the odomoter goes past its 5 digits (99999), it goes back to zero and i would not think that’s the case here

Patrick07

Patrick07asked

Yamaha MT-07

Hello i am 5'5 ( 1.65 m) tall and i am thinking of buying the MT-07. Anyone who's that size or taller bought that bike? and if yes could he please share
his experience about handling, seat comfort things like that thanks a lot..

Hung Pham

hello Patrick, i am 1m 62 and i ride it perfectly with a good form. you will be okay providing your inseams (just google it) is in the clear. just go to a shop and sit on the motorcycle and have someone hold as though you are riding.

i hope this helps.

Hung

Jim

Jimasked

Yamaha MT-07

How do I turn my immobiliser off?

Dblk89asked

Yamaha MT-07

Would the MT 07 fit a large guy? I am around 5'8 and almost 117 kg. Mostly worried about exceeding the load capacity with a pillion rider. I've read it somewhere that the load capacity is 175 kg. Also my nearest dealership is at a fair distance

The King
The King

I'm 6'1 and 105kg. It fits me fine. Want to buy mine?

Dblk89

Thanks for your offer. I went to a dealership and was told that it should not exceed a weight limit of 175 kg which was a huge turn off for since I would like to have a pillion rider with me occasionally. How much is the list price. I have to sell my Suzuki inazuma if I was to buy a new motorcycle and if the price and freight costs are manageable, I am happy to accept the offer

Luxy

Luxyasked

MT-07LA

Dose the first service have to be done by a Yamaha dealership to keep the warranty valid?

RoyBoy

No mate. As long as they are licensed motorcycle mechanic, anyone is allowed to do the services

ub34ty
ub34ty

No luxy, and no royboy. Anyone can service the bike and the only reason it would be kept valid would be if they used genuine parts and the correct oil (also dates and kms need to be filled out in the book) and to make sure that the invoice is kept for all items used if you are to claim anything under warranty.

Jake28

Jake28asked

MT-07LA

Hi there . I rencently bought a Yamaha mt07 2016 learner approved as I'm still with my RE learner permit . My question is if I can put and akrapovic full exhaust sistem in my MT07 as I'm still in my RE?. In if it's considered a modification on the bike ?. Thanks . I live in Australia QLD

RoyBoy

Relevant question. If it`s the Yamaha supplied pipe, with the bung in, then it`s still R/E legal
If not, then potentially you`re making it in to a non LAMS bike.
That`s our ruling here in WA, so I would guess the same applies to you guys
I don`t think the Police are really all that concerned, but I`ll bet the insurance company would be using that as an out in any claim

JamesHRL
JamesHRL

You can modify your bike in those sort of ways yes

Bryce

Bryceasked

MT-07LA

Hi all, I am super keen on one of these bikes! Two quick questions, how much should I be paying for one of these ride away and what color should I get (cant decide)?

Tom
Tom

Hi Bobby, Hmmm....in my opinion it it best to go for a Demo as you will still get a full Warranty on a bike with very low klm. As soon as you throw a leg over a new bike the value of it drops considerably. pay around $9500 on road from a Dealer. In my eyes, white looks the best. Factor in $2000 for good quality protective gear....that is non negotiable and will preserve your most precious asset, your life!

Hi Bobby,

I agree with Tom, get a demo if you can. As for colour, my one is the H-O model and only comes in Race Blu (which is actually mainly silver with a blue frame and wheels) so I had no choice. In the LAMS version I really like the Night Fluoro: http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/road/torque-sport/16-mt-07la-0

If you get a new one, expect to pay $10K or so ride away, it's a lot of motorcycle for the money.

Cheers,

Fifty
Fifty

Hi Bobby,
Exepect around 10.5k drive away + Akra Carbon (1K) for the MT07.
Enjoy your drive
Yamahara

Cliveasked

MT-07HO

This bike has great reviews and I was very interested in the full power version - until I realised its not avsilable in Oz with an ABS option, even though available in most other countries with ABS. ABS reduces potential for seroius accident by approx 40% according to various safety studies and this is why its now compulsory on all new bikes in Europe and other countries. Are Yamaha just dumping non ABS bikes onto the Oz market?

Basil
Basil

2016 model comes with ABS as standard. Thanks!

ABS is only available on the LAMS version Basil

@Clive

it appears that we have to rely on our skills - Hung

Bobcatasked

Yamaha MT-07

I believe if you redo the mapping it will increase the horse power to close to 80 with an aftermarket pipe.
I was told the restrictions was done thru the mapping to make it an lams bike. any one know more about this?

Bondi Boatman
Bondi Boatman

Hi Bobcat. Yeah this can be done however if you are in an accident and investigations uncover the increased mapping to remove it from LAMS standard / LAMS restrictions you will face some touchy legal questions. The risk isn't worth it in my view. Now if you buy the MT-07-OH version and do this same process you would be in the clear (as I understand it). The LAMS MT-07 is still a quick bike for what it is & it's a miracle that it is classed as Learner Approved. Don't be surprised if this changes.
Respect to you & ride safe.

Thanks Bondi

The idea is to get the MT 7 and leave it as is till I have my open licence and then do the mapping instead of getting a new bike. Hoping it works, thanks appreciate the feed back.

Rob J.
Rob J.

No, remapping will not up the power on the Lams 07. This model actually has smaller pistons than the OH 07 models. Anyway, your Lams bike is going to be worth more as a Lams bike than one which has been tampered with and ,"so called"unlocked, as there are thousands of unrestricted bikes out there. Sit tight , learn to ride what you have well. Then move on.