2Hansa C7 Chipper

Hansa C7 Chipper Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Jeff P
Jeff P

My Chipper this a couple of years old. A wedge of timber has jammed between the narrow edge of the flywheel and the housing at about the three o’clock position that can’t be reached with tools. Running the machine only burns the belts out and cannot be budged with force. Any suggestions ?

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi Jeff, there are a couple of methods that you can try to free up the jammed timber:
1. Using a couple of G-clamps, fasten a long piece of wood to the rotor fin and use this as a lever moving it back and forth until the piece of wood comes free.
2. Place a piece of wood against the fin on the cutting disk and use a sledge hammer to turn the cutting disk. This is probably best done in the opposite direction of normal rotation.
Hopefully this assists to remove the jammed wood!

Graham

I have a second hand C7 chipper the pulley on the drive shaft of the chipper was slipping on the shaft I have disassembled the shaft from the pulley but there doesn’t appear to be a key or groove for a key on the shaft. I did notice sparks coming from the area before I pulled it apart. Should there be a key groove in the drive shaft to the chipper section.

Steve b

For memory in changing the belt you unbolt the motor. Was pretty simple. Just lined it up by eye. The new belt was initially a little tight (as they all are ) but loosened up pretty quickly and now runs perfectly.

Graham

Thanks belts are ok the pulley was turning on the shaft to the chipper. I pulled it apart and in the process of reassembly. Doesn’t appear to have a key on the shaft but has some sort of bush hopefully it was only loose.

Steve b

Sorry, didnt get the gist of your original post. Havent had this issue. Let us know how it goes...

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hello Graham, if you have a pre-2019 model then you would have a biloc which attaches the pulley to the shaft. Ensure your pulleys on the rotor and flywheel are in-line and tighten the biloc and you should be good to go. This probably came loose to due excessive vibration so i would check the condition of the knives, they may need to be sharpened?

Graham

You are 100% correct I have reassembled it and it’s almost ready to fire up. Thanks for your advice

Hansa Chippers   DM

All good, happy chipping!

Steve777

Hi, I have a C7 I bought new about two years ago, it has probably done 2 - 3 hours work in that time. I didn’t use it at all last year due to injuries and surgeries. Chipping some green gum tree branches and leaves maximum 30mm and the chute keeps clogging. I had to lift the cover a couple of times to clear it and have adjusted the belt as per the instructions. Also it’s not chopping the leaves at all, any suggestions?

Steve b

Check your blades. Probably need sharpening. Timber needs to be green for best chipping and anything dead/hard will blunt them quickly. I notice it throws and feeds alot better when they’re sharp. I’ve heard of blokes putting the blades in a vice and using a flap wheel p120 on a grinder to resharpen them. Don’t do the back side though. I use a bench grinder with a stone attachment. Regularly dip the blades in water to stop over heating and buggering up the blade temper. It’s a beast when the blades are sharp but if blunt they tend to tear into bigger pieces and it gets caught in the shute.

Steve777

Thanks Steve, appreciate the reply, I will check the blades. Have only used green waste so I am surprised that they need sharpening so soon.

Mrerolazman

hi there, I have an older model c7 chipper I brought second hand (2009 model), the bottom of the in-feed chute is starting to split from left the right side walls (bottom end close to the housing). ive noticed that the natural vibration of machine is slowly leading to a larger split. im at a point where I would need to repair the chute by welding it? (is it aluminium or metal) or replace the chute altogther. can I still get this older 2009 in-feed chute, or replace it the current model in-feed chute?, need some guidance..
thanks in advance...

Dr John

As always, check with Hansa. They are very responsive to questions. Occasionally a replacement part is cheaper than a repair.
The chute will almost certainly be steel (a fridge magnet will stick to it) but whatever it is made of, a competent welder will be able to repair the crack, try to locate one of those slightly old fashioned workshops that specialise in the repair and maintenance of machinery, sometimes a trip to the country side to a place that does stuff for local farmers is the way to go. Unbolt the chute and take that to them for their assessment and repair. You need to ensure they are the sort of place that understands the kind of welding required for a proper repair. It should not be an expensive job. I'd also check the run-out of the cutter disk (does it wobble when you turn it?) and consider servicing the cutter disk bearings (sloppiness here could be a source of vibration) if it has had 11 years of regular use there are probably a number of things that could do with a look at. Maybe have a chat to a local Hansa dealer, they should be an excellent source of advice..

Hansa Chippers   DM

Yes the inlet chute is made of steel. You will be able to get someone local to repair the inlet chute at a reasonable price. I can almost guarantee the reason you are getting excessive vibration is that your knives are blunt and not cutting like they were designed to do. Instead of slicing the wood the blunt knives are hammering the timber which is causing the vibration throughout the machine. When was the last time you sharpened or changed the knives?
We recommend sharpening the knives every 15-20 hours but it does depend on the material you are chipping.
We can supply a replacement chute if required.

Mrerolazman

i normally sharpen them often. i had a brief period where i used blunt knives. but i wont be doing that again. repair by welding?

xiaoli
xiaoli

after long time not used, it's very hard to get started. please tell how do i get it started? many thanks.

Dr John

One really dumb thing I occasionally do is forget to turn the ignition on or still have the cutter engaged.
If it was running fine before you left it, the only thing I can think of is you have gum from evaporated fuel. Did you turn off the fuel before it was left? Gum blocks jets an makes things in the carburetor stick. Sometimes it will start and run really badly or if it is bad simply won't start.
There are various ways to fix this. Sometimes a proprietary carb cleaner/ fuel mixture will work but often the best fix is to take the carburetor off and do a proper clean. If this isn't something you are comfortable with trying I suggest you talk to your local dealer or small motor shop. The Honda motor is a beautiful piece of engineering and is actually quite easy to work on and it would be a shame to damage it. If the thought of having to move your whole chipper to the repair shop is a problem the motor is easy to take off, 4 13 mm bolts (that is how you replace damaged belts). Check first, but the repair shop will probably be happy to just get the motor to work on.

Brian Kenney
Brian Kenney

Looking at replacing a a broken wheel on a C7 purchased about 15 years ago. Model with lift up lever to engage blade. Please advise past number. Thanks

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hello Brian, please contact us at info@hansaproducts.com.au so we can pass on the details where to purchase a replacement wheel.

Tyler
Tyler

Just stalled my C7 with a 50mm branch. Was only about 200mm long as well. Basically shut off right away. I cleared the clog. But the C7 went off while the rotor was engaged. So I couldn’t shut it down properly... now it starts, but once I engage rotor it gets hot and turns off ...

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hello Tyler, best to call us on 1800 426 722 so we can try and diagnose the problem as this does not make sense.

Shane
Shane

First day using my C7. Looks like chipped material (palm fronds and small branches) clogged up the shoot, causing the chips to sit in the bottom of the fly wheel well. I’ve opened the top of the fly wheel housing and remove what I can. However, I can’t rotate the fly wheel because of the material in the bottom of fly wheel compartment. It seems very easy to get this problem. Is there a remedy to clean the bottom of the fly wheel housing + not let this happen again??

GrantCC
GrantCC

Just in case you've not solved the problem, all this happened to me with my C7 on the first day. I could see this as an ongoing problem, so I just added a small piece of 1 inch X 3mm bar at the top of the easiest to get to knife, bent it over and hammered it to fit over the disc, and on the opposite blade added the same size bit of metal to the opposing nut and bolt just to keep the balance right. Works an absolute charm and no more stalling and tightening up!

Don B.
Don B.

Hi
I have a Hansa chipper

The repaire dropped it and bent one of the wheels .How do I remove the wheel from the shaft?can I use a crow bar?I have the pin out and 1 circular ring fell of the wheel when i applied force to the wheel but the wheel now appears to be stuck

My name is Don

My email is boltonsd@ozemail.com.au

regards

don

phs_84

Our New C7 is stalling with straight material only a couple of hundred mm in ( sweet pittosporum ) 60mm -65mm at the thickest point spoke to the distributor they didn’t really have any answers ?

Rzbr
Rzbr

Strange I have chipped similar without problem provided that the stick goes straight in from the middle of the feed Shute. If it goes on an angle it will jam as it does not seem to feed correctly. Also it will jam easily if there is an abundance of green material ie leaves, blossom etc. don’t try and cut anything thicker. It will not chip the full diameter claimed. Also if you chip something of the diameter you are using often the last 100mm may not chip but will skew on an angle and stall the unit.

phs_84

After a couple of hours using the machine it should not be rated at 70mm it should be rated at 50mm. 50-55mm pieces 2m long go through fine but you can hear it’s starting to loose momentum

But it won’t chip 60-70mm material that fact it won’t even chip 60 is telling.

Going to weigh up options, keep it or return for another brand

Rather disappointing as it mulches the smaller stuff well is a good weight but only chipping 50mm is limiting

Simon B

Hi. I’m considering buying a secondhand C7 (I’d love to get a new one, but unfortunately not within my budget). The one I’m looking at is serial number 20126-11. When was that manufactured please? I can see it’s a different design to the new ones. Is there much difference in performance?

Mrerolazman

hi i have brought an older model c7 chipper.. i have no manual. i have the blades but i am unsure how to get the disc off to. i have ma aged to get the inlet chute off and the overhead kid to access the disc, but its pretty awkward to get in there with a rachet with socket. i presume the disc needs to comes out. im alittle confused with the manual. how would i go about changing disc. please advise...

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi, please email us at info@hansaproducts.com.au and i will reply with the manual for you.

Greig P.
Greig P.

Where are Hansa chippers made?

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi Greg, all of our chippers are manufactured in Hamilton New Zealand. About an hour south of Auckland on the north island. You can read more about our company by clicking on the link to our website.
external link

Sarah P
Sarah P

I was told by the distributor that the reason my C7 needing 2 successive belts replacing in a short period of time was that I have been putting green material through the machine, and that it is only meant for dry branches. I had thought that I could put pretty much anything through so long as the branch diameter was below 70mm - so I've been chipping mostly freshly-cut or day-old Pittosporum saplings (not the roots), with a maximum branch diameter of 40-50mm and mostly much smaller. I had understood that chipping dry branches was more problematic for the machine than green - please clarify, as I will have a lot more chipping to do and would like to know if I should leave it on the ground to dry out for ?how long? before chipping, or if I should in fact be able to chip the fresh branches with leaves? Thanks

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi Sarah, You definitely should be able to process freshly cut material through your machine.
Without being able to see the machine and knowing how old your machine is, its hard to diagnose the problem.
Questions i always ask:
* How long has it been since you replaced or sharpened the knives?
* If the machine isn't that old i would check the tension on the belts as they do stretch from new (Page 16 of the manual).
* Alignment of the pulleys (Page 19)
The C7 is quite a simple machine with not much that can go wrong, hopefully one of these will help fix any issues.

John F.
John F.

I lost one bolt that holds the wheel on my C7 Hansa chipper.

It seems to be one of 4 "cap screws" in the (hardware and fastener kit) to assemble the C7.

Where could I buy one or is there a suitable replacement?

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi John, It is a 6mm cap screw and you can purchase from any nut and bolt shop.

blog
blog

My question pertains to the C7 Knife blade set. Whom does everyone use to have these sharpened? Seems like there is no one around proficient enough to sharpen these correctly. I've taken mine to three different Lawnmower places who sharpen blades for other things all the time, but they (i assume) can't get the 40' degree angle correct. When I purchase NEW blades, they cut through items like a hot knife through butter, but re-sharpened ones are no where near the same. Out of frustration, I sent some back to the Hansa dealer in QLD whom farmed them out to someone there to sharpen them. Whilst they were better than the local effort, it was again , no where near or even close to new blades. Given the huge expense of new blades for these units, I also wonder if there is anyone selling reproduction blades as well that I could try.?

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi, in Qld we recommend Peakcock Saws in Brisbane. ph 07 3375 1877.

steve
steve

thanks - but I'm not in QLD. Do you have anyone in NSW Riverina please? Also, where is the most cost effective place to purchase new blades (knives)? People are asking nearly $200 a set which is highway robbery.

Bob D.
Bob D.

Hi Steve, I just bought a set of blades and the bolt Kit from Murwillumbah Mower & Chainsaw for $150.00 ( blades $139 Pr and Bolts $20), plus postage of $12. Cheers

Carmel W.
Carmel W.

I think I have over tightened the handle that engages the blades. It just won’t turn to anti clockwise so I can disengage the blade. Any suggestions.

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hello Carmel, if you have a spanner you should be able to grip the two adjustment nuts on top of the handle block and use these to loosen the handle. Any questions give us a call on 1800426722 and we can discuss further.

Brett W.
Brett W.

Hi I have a hansa c7 looks like a old model are the belt the same for the old model and new model ?

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi Brett, Yes they are the same belts. They are a A21 size belt.

Sharon W.

I'm thinking of buying the C7 but wanting to know if it will chip old twigs and small branches or only green material

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hello Sharon, yes the C7 will chip dry wood. Anything up to the 70mm capacity can be processed.

Sharon W.

Thanks for your reply John. Sounds like a good purchase for my needs.

Hello John
I purchased my C7 chipper yesterday. On reading through the manual on "safe operating procedures" DO - it clearly says "feed only freshly cut materials into the chipper". DO NOT also says process old materials such as dried wooden branches. This was my original question re hard wood. Please clarify. Thank you

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi Sharon, Yes you can put dried wood through. It doesn't process as well as fresh cut but it will still do a great job.
I quite often have to go forage in some parkland to gather fallen timber to put through our chippers for demonstrations and shows etc. Don't forget to go online and register your chipper to upgrade the warranty to 3 years.
external link

Sharon W.

Thanks John for your comment, thought that may have been the case. Looking forward to giving it a go on the weekend.

Andrew S

Hi John, I have the same question as Sharon. I bought a C7 a few months ago and have been chipping a mix of dry and freshly cut wood. I was advised by a friend that chipping old dry wood will adversely affect the sharpness of the blades and reduce the life of the chipper. He said sharpening the blades never gets them as good as new, so you might end up having to get new blades. Is this why the Manual states to only feed freshly cut materials into the chipper? I'd like to understand the reason for what the manual is stating. Thanks, Frank

Hansa Chippers   DM

Hi Frank, yes chipping dry wood will wear down the knives quicker then freshly cut timber. Also the chips that come out are not as uniform as freshly cut. I have processed really old timber which has just turned to dust when put through the machine.

Hi Frank and John
I have now tried out the chipper on the old wood. A mixture of old leaves, twigs and small branches which are now laying under my trees and happy with the result. I did try it on dried horse manure but seemed to be too light to go through to the cutters and that's ok. It was just an experiment. I'll go back to running it over with the mower. If it blunts the cutters sooner than I'm ok with that as I am very happy with the overall result.

Hansa Chippers   DM

Perfect, glad you are happy with the results.

Andrew S

Thanks for the replies John and Sharon. It's a beast of a machine! I've got a pile of green wood to chip this weekend, so will see how it goes. We've mostly done the dry stuff, which does powder up a little and is less uniform. :)

Get an answer from our members and Hansa Chippers representatives

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Hansa C7 Chipper is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2023. Learn more