Holden Astra AH

Holden Astra AH

See the Best Convertible in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Top Car to roll tight in!

Purchased car @ Ventura Autos in Welshpool Western Australia.. James the owner is professional, accommodating and goes beyond expectation of service. Bought a CDX Astra 2006 and it's valued for the price!

Purchased in August 2019 at Ventura Autos for $2,600.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2006
Handling
Gear Shifting
Comfort

Horrible car, noisy and unreliable

My brother bought a Holden AH astra diesel on the back of the proviso of quality European/German engineering and build quality from a car salesman that recommended it. My brother also liked it and thought it was a good car. After paying $21,000 for it secondhand, the emission control system started acting up, clouds of bluish white smoke, engine misfiring, and going into limp mode, gearbox issues involving not staying in 5th gear, (kept going into 4th and staying there with the engine running at high speed. Only after 80km/h, the ability to hold 5th gear actually occurred. The dealer support was awful. No interest at all in helping him with the problems at all.

The car went through 4 alternators, and 8 batteries in the space of 8 years, cause the car was alwys going flat. (it kept needing to be charged with a battery charger and was a complete loss of $21,000. My brother was ripped off badly, and the service contract that was supposed to be a savior? that was a joke. No help at all.

Stay away from Holden products out of Europe, especially Europe. South Korean cars from Holden maybe better, but my brother was taken down. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Purchased in May 2009 at Hyundai Dealers for $21,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2006

Great little car...solid build

Great little car....Had our little blue Astra since 2005...The only thing that eventually played up was the steering pump as I did put bigger wheels on it.We have put down 280,000km on this car and never broke down...Keep the required water pump,belt and coil packs in check along with normal maintenance and they will go for ages...Plenty of torque in our 1.8 the Z18XE engine and does not burn any oil.

I myself rate this car a lot better and safer than the Corolla of the same year ,I have driven a 2006 corolla and do not like the jelly like feeling in the steering wheel not to mention the lack of power...

For a P player these I’d recommend as they are a good solid build and the engine adequate for a first car.

Really like any car they require maintenance..

With this engine the z18xe check that the water pump,rocker gasket,timing belt and coil pack have all been kept in check and you cannot go wrong...

People bag Astra’s but I know what I ‘d rather be in if faced with a collision..

Our’s the cdxi and came with curtain airbags back then,yes 2005 already curtain airbags..the 2006 model added stability and traction control I think but am not 100%...

We have updated the stereo to DAB and have also fitted a body kit along with the sri wheels...

It’s getting old but still turns heads..

Purchased in February 2005 at Barloworld.

BoughtNew
Year2005
Handling
Gear Shifting

family car

serviced twice a year used for visiting relatives around the state excellent on fuel economy sum long like to sydney or larger regoinal citys liks dubbo or mudgee shopping trips to larger towns mostly over an hour away or doctors appoinments eye or heart specialist, vacation driving to the coast

BadgeCDXi
Date PurchasedMay 2007

Seriously disappointed

Purchased a 2007 SRi Astra off the showroom floor from Von Bibra Robina. The car was impressive to start off with, but many issues have tainted my enthusiasm over Holden.
All the problems seem to be recurring, but no product recalls at any point!
First the aircon compressor packed up. Took it to 2 different technicians: "Usual issue with Atra." $550 to replace/repair compressor clutch coil thermal fuse.
Then, at about 120,000km the gearbox started whining in 6th gear. You guessed it! Two different gearbox specialists said it was a recurring problem with the Astra.
At around the same time, the metallic silver paint started fading. I reported it to the dealer, but they said that they'd never seen anything like it before. I took the vehicle in to them, but they just shrugged their shoulders and said I should speak to Holden Australia. When looking on car sale websites, I came across 12 vehicles with the exact same issue. The panel beaters I have taken it to say that it is a common problem with Holden. The clear coat has failed. The car now looks horrendous with large marks on the back bumper, bonnet and roof. Holden Australia say that it is "normal deterioration" and weren't prepared to do anything about it.
The gearlever knob has disintegrated and the gearlever boot has lost all it's cover. The headlights have faded and the horn stopped working at about 50,000km.
When purchasing a vehicle new and looking after it, you'd expect better quality and durability than what Holden has delivered. I purchased a Toyota Corolla approximately 10 months after the Astra and have had no comparable issues whatsoever. It has had 2 recalls which the dealer took care of. Guess who I'll be buying my next car from! Definitely not Holden.

BadgeSRi
Engine Size2.2L Petrol
Date PurchasedApr 2007

A car from Germany with excellent design and engineering and SH$% Build quality!

I have had my 2006 Holden Astra Station Wagon for 2.5 years. I purchased this particular vehicle because it is a small wagon with heaps of boot space.

Overall I enjoy driving this car. With the 5 speed, the gear between 2nd and 3rd is short meaning you need to get the revs up to around 2800rpm to drop it into 3rd at 2000rpm for the right speed. Mechanically the car is very fuel efficient. On 98 Octane, it will do city driving around 8.2L/100kms. On country driving I have got just under 7L numerous times.

In the wagon, the rear seats can be moved so you can completely fold the rear seat flat. It allows you to store a lot of stuff!!!

Being a German designed car, the handling is very very good along with the brakes. It's responsive in sharp turns and holds the road well on the standard tyres. It has saved me several times in avoiding cars suddenly coming out of driveways to veer off with no body roll. The engine has good torque but requires some additional push in traffic and on hills (perhaps due to the extra weight of the wagon vs the hatch). It isn't quick by any means.

The body quality and interior parts are pretty poor for a car built in 2006. The factory clear coat has completely peeled on the roof and is starting on the bonnet and right side of the car (both drivers and RHS passenger door, front bumper). The left side has no peel. I've seen the clear coat come off other silver wagons but also other AH Astra's in various places (wagon and hatch). It seems to be a problem with early AH models imported into Australia (2005 - 2006). Another common problem is the steering wheel material coming off. You can still use the steering wheel, it just looks like it is falling apart.

The ventilation control behind the heater wouldn't turn the heater flap soon after I purchased it. I figured out this was because of a loose electrical connection. I resoldered some wires and it fixed the problem. The power window button for the driver snapped and I also replaced this (part is about $15 for 5 buttons).

Lastly, turn on the headlights and beep the horn. If it doesn't work, an Body Control Unit may either be not functioning or the connections are loose. There is a fix where Holden / Opal put connectors to push the wires together. I had this done out of consideration as I purchased the car second hand.

You can understand how General Motors who owned Opal are going broke, just not enough attention to the car overall !!!

Would I still buy one? Considering I'd have to get a 4WD to supplement my needs (where this car will put to shame many 4WDs for storage space ) I'd say yes...but only if the paint and trim didn't fall apart!

Date PurchasedJan 2016

wonderful fora little car

this car is just enough for myself , small but is put down the back seat the room is big enough for any loading. I service the car once a year but never have problem , i can not believe this car allready been 11 years. never have any big issues,

Date PurchasedApr 2013

DON'T BUY THIS TRASH

Bought this car in 2014 for $7000 however, I had to spend another $4000 repairs
The car shakes/judders when driving at 60km or higher. The sports button makes the car undrivable. Another typical European Holden, nothing but problems.

Avoid at all costs especially L and P platers as we don't have that much money to spend.

BadgeCDTI
Date PurchasedJun 2014

Better now Holden dont touch it

I could have boght a new car with the money I've spent on it. Without fail every 6 months it cost between $800 and $2000 at dealership to fix. Dudded me an ignition barrel under warranty as they couldn't get it to fault until warranty ended that is. Electrical fault twice a year like clockwork UNTIL I STOPPED GOING TO DEALER.

Been great since taking it elsewhere, no fault liggts just regular servicing and maintenance. Coincidence???? Not likely!!!!

Previous review mentiined front tyre wear is excessive and I'd agree with that but I do like a softer ride and use a bridgestone rally tyre which never lasts the suggested kms but they drive well.

If I had my time over I would NOT buy an astra and definitely NOT take it to holden.

I always thought a holden would be the best car I could have as the family have had them for generations. WRONG.

Date PurchasedJan 2009

Favourite car!

My car got written off and I bought a second hand Holden Astra and have never looked back! It feels so good to drive it’s so smooth, not too big on the outside but spacious five seater on the inside and best of all it’s very cheap on fuel! It’s honestly the best car I have ever owned!

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Crap car

Worst car ive ever owned. I cant believe there are reviews stating astras are great little cars far from it. I got the wagon 2006 model for 6grand. The horn stoped working after the first week. Then only 1 year later replaced the brake pads but there aas a major problems so from a $300 job it turned into $1000. And just only after that the coil pack went and the parts for the astra wagon are so expensive seriously guys this is the worst type of car and now i have a new problem and j dont know what has happened for ages it keeps cutting out after i try to turn it on and its not the starter motor or the alternator

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Great reliable car

We bought this car when it was 10 years old. It has done 160,000km and has proven to be very reliable with no major issues so far. It is quite cheap to run for city trips, however on long highway trips it could really have done with having an extra gear, at 110 it's pushing close to 3000rpm. Overall it is a good car that we plan to keep for a while, I'd highly recommend them.

Badge(No Badge)
Date PurchasedDec 2016

Best of 10 cars I ever owned

Amazing handling like a sports car -solid build throughout- pretty reliable over 10 years - large boot space -perfect dimension vehicle and perfect size for parking - good road-holding dynamics -running costs fair- easily accessible engine- had to replace electric window control, boot lid struts and plastic coolant bottle in engine after nine years.

Date PurchasedJun 2007

Great car

Car is great
Reliable...zippy...good fuel economy
After time the interior door panels came loose.
The colour and exterior has withstood the elements well.
Strangely the clutch and brake pedals feel incredibly close together and I would prefer it had some cup holders. But generally a gregreat car. Although a manual car in the city can be tough going in the traffic.

Engine Size1.9L Turbo-Diesel
Date PurchasedMar 2007

Reliable, zippy and attractive model

I'm on my 2nd Holden Astra (after losing the first one in a crash - unrelated to vehicle performance) because I just could not find a different hatchback I liked as much as the Astra. I've owned a 2006 5 door petrol hatch and now have a 2009 5 door petrol hatch and both have been delights. A really solid car that drives smoothly, no shakiness or heaviness especially on corners. Fittings and metal body are of good quality - tried a Fiesta and actually put a handprint in the metal panelling trying to close the bonnet! Very comfortable and spacious for a medium hatch - plenty of boot space that has done many a house move and airport run - you can cram it full of people or things without losing power. Fairly economical on petrol - about $40-$50 AUD for full tank. I preferred my fabric seats of the first car over the leather in my current, leather has just started to wear on the driver right hand side but very easy to clean and doesn't get overly hot if left out in the sun. Common Astra problems include timing belt, but seems to be more grievances about the TS model as opposed to the AH model. Will be hard to find something to replace the Astra when it's finally time!

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Best little car I have ever driven.

Bought our Astra2005 new . Best little car ever. Handles like a dream seems to hug the road . Best fuel consumption I have ever had. Only issue is the paint work is now getting sunburnt and patchy

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Ok car

Bought second hand 2009 model in 2012 done 57,000K

Run like dream until 2016 at 100,000K. I am a light user

Last year, It has timing belt replace in Jun, air conditioner replace in November. I feel costly then

Other than that it is just fine , I have tyres replaced, always stick to service plan.

So far so good. hope there won't be any major job in the near future.

Date PurchasedSep 2012

Coil pack misfire

Bought it in early 2011 in Pickle Aution OD: 41000km, running very well for small car, happy with the fuel consumption. full tank 42-45L can run 520 - 560km.

2015 found it engine misfire, change the coil pack at Motors, cost around $600 and fixed problem.

2016 replace new battery.

Will keep this car till new born baby arrive, thinking to upgrade to SUV or bigger family car.

Date PurchasedApr 2011

Great car and hard to find any comparative with half the options..

CDX Coupe! great looking car 2006 even now still looks modern and drives like new.

Many features even in high end luxury cars don't match. eg. both front seats are fully adjustable for high AND tilt!

No issues at all.

Great car and no issues. would be perfect if rear suspension was independent and had a toe adjustment but for the price and at the time it was the best.

BodyCoupe
Date PurchasedApr 2006

Worst car of all award goes to Astra

Worst car of all. Coolant started leaking just at 70000km and again at 120000k, head gasket failed at 150000K, Transmission failed at 160000K, now at 170000k engine has starting misfiring. Had to change front wheel bearings, power window motor, sway bar links. Should have gone for Japanese car.

Dealers were worse then the car itself. Rear Power window weren't working so went it to have it checked. Dealer said we need to replace the electric motor cost estimate ($900). The best part was that I had already checked and the motor was working fine, it was the window regulator that was broken cost estimate ($50). Bought it over ebay and fixed it myself rather get duped for $900. What a farce.

Date PurchasedMar 2005