NRMA Home Insurance

NRMA Home Insurance Questions & Answers

12 questions from our users

enigma

enigmaasked

We are looking at buying a new house. The house has a carport and pergola (attached to the house) that were built a few years ago. The current owners of the property have advised both structures did not undergo council approval. We are not put off by this - we love the house, the structures look really well made and they certainly add value to the property. We would be happy to purchase the property but we are curious if NRMA Building Insurance would cover the house and both structures? Or would we be only able to list the house on the policy given the structures are unapproved? We can't find anything in the PDS statement that answers this particular question so any policy advice would be appreciated.

JP roller
JP roller

Hi. Ours got the same, pergola and carport. Unapproved structure as a lot in Canberra. This wasn’t an issue.

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Enigma, you will be covered - however, we would not rebuild or repair something not to council code. In this case we would either cash settlement for an amount or we would rebuild something that is council approved. Keep in mind a claim can be denied if damaged caused to the property was because it was not build to standard. Example being if the way it was built was causing water damage to the property - this could potentially cause the claim to be denied. Good luck with your decision & hope this helps! ~Natalie

Andy

Andyasked

Hi, after watching A Current affair this week on the indifferent treatment of some of your customers I have questioned whether I should stay with NRMA or switch to another insurer. I must say after reading this review site it does not give me much confidence.
Can you give me any reason why I should stay

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Andy, in relation to the customers in the program you’ve mentioned, we have apologised for the delays they experienced while we reviewed their claims and have now resolved the issues for both customers. When a customer suffers damage to their home we may need to use a variety of experts such as builders, roofers and engineers to assess some of our claims and to ensure the repairs meet building standards and regulations.

One of the customers' home had damage that had occurred over an extended period and was due to leaf debris blocking rainwater from flowing off the roof, made worse by previous poor repairs by her builder. This was highlighted by a previous claim they made a few years earlier. Where the repairs were also undertaken by the customer's own builders. We have now settled the claim for the internal damage and spoken with the customer about the repairs required to her roof to help protect her home from further water damage in the future.

The second customer featured on the program had pre-existing termite damage. The repairs done to this home was not to standard. This resulted in the roof lifting and further damage to his property. Our experts are currently reviewing the extent of damage caused by the termites. This will allow us to determine the next steps required before the repairs can begin.

Whilst any delays with home insurance claims are disappointing, if you are looking for a reason to stay with NRMA Insurance these are examples where we have chosen to extend our cover to situations normally excluded by home insurance policies. ~ Jono

Lozzaasked

When i phoned customer service for my solar system damage by a storm was advised to get a report from a level 2 electrition on damage then 2-3 replacement quotes for my claim. Only to be told when I rang back to lodge my claim nrma would be arranging a builder to asses the damage/replacement of my solar sytem then why did i get a report costing me $199? When nrma has to aprove the damage with there own builder?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Lozza, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can appreciate how frustrating this is to be told two conflicting things and have this additional charge. I would like to have this looked into and rectified for you. Can you please use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review, include your original message and your claim number, DOB, address and contact details so we can contact the correct person in claims to escalate this for you. ~ Jono

Lozza

Thankyou for your reply, i will contact FB NRMA and hopefully i will have a better outcome. Lozza

Mario Machado

Mario Machadoasked

We have had our storm damage assessed recently. Can I obtain a copy of the assessment report including individual cost for each of the claims that have been assessed?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Mario, you would need to discuss this with your claims consultant, please give them a call. ~Kaz

Shannonasked

The General Insurance Code of Conduct states that you should deliver a decision within 15 business days. Your consultant contacted me afte 5pm on the 15th business day to advise that she would get back to me by close of business on the 17th business day but she still hasn’t . What advice would you give me on how to proceed? I do not feel that NRMA is acting in good faith.

Hi Shannon,

I had a similar situation as yours when a flexi pipe burst in an upstairs kitchen and damaged a major part of my home downstairs. I had nothing but problems with NRMA the entire way through the process. They assigned a building company by the name of CCP Remedial to handle the repairs. I'm wondering if you have been assigned the same company. Their customer service is a disgrace, never returning calls. I had to constantly follow up on everything. They sent a contractor out to do some repairs and he ended up sending his son to do the painting. The job was shocking. He even painted over a large area of mould on my walls. You could still see it through the paint.

I had vinyl tiles which got ruined in an area of my kitchen and NRMA (and CCP Remedial) insisted for months that they would only pay me for the damaged tiles and I would have to pay for the rest myself. (The tiles are not made any more). I pointed out that the policy states that I am covered to the nearest architectural break. Finally I got someone at NRMA who actually knew and understood the policy.

Then they removed my vanity which had water damage and realised that the job to replace it was going to be bigger than they had originally thought so they said they weren't going to touch it. I have been 12 months without a vanity. I stood up for my rights and ended up taking the matter to the Ombudsman. I just found out last week that the Ombudsman has ruled in my favour so the NRMA have to pay me to completely fix my bathroom. I have been awarded compensation as well because of how NRMA stuffed me around.

My advice to you is to keep good comprehensive records on everything. Just take notes on dates, times and names whenever you deal with them. Write down everything they say. They take notes on their communications with you and you have the right to ask to see these notes. Take lots of photos too. And keep on their back. If they say they will call you the following day and they don't, then call them. And keep doing this. I think we feel like we don't want to be pushy or be a pain but it is what is needed here because their customer service is appalling and we are suffering because of it.

It is a very stressful time and NRMA will do their very best to drag it out. My incident happened in September 2017. I went to the Ombudsman with my dispute in May 2018. It has only just been determined and this is due to NRMA always waiting until the final day to respond throughout the process. They do not value their customers or care about their customers' peace of mind. Loyalty means nothing. I had been with them for 30 years and with 10 policies. It meant nothing.

Shannon

Wow, Lisa! thank you so much for answering. Your story is inspiring but also horrifying! Thank you so much for all of your excellent advice and for the hope that the ombudsman can and will make the right decision (though it may take a ridiculous length of time) I’m so delighted that you finally had some resolution but I’m stunned that they are able to subject people to this kind of treatment for this length of time.

My work was subcontracted to AJ Grant but the similarities are incredible. I believe the cozy and corrupt relationship between NRMA and their chosen repairers will eventually be part of a royal commission.

Hi Shannon,
I would be happy to help you in any way I can. I can provide you with names of the people I dealt with at NRMA and can send you a copy of my complaint to the Ombudsman if that would help you. Maybe even mentioning my name, if you get to the complaints resolution process, and letting them know that I will be assisting you, may make a difference, who knows. I am so disgusted by NRMA and how they treat their customers and yes, I agree with you about the relationship between NRMA and their repairers, it is definitely dodgy. I had everyone at NRMA and CCP Remedial repeatedly denying my claim. I had tradesmen at CCP Remedial blatantly lying about the situation. But I knew I was in the right and I was not going to let them bully me. I often wonder how many customers they do this to, who would simply give up, because it is a very long stressful process. I lost many nights sleep and a lot of time in fighting this. It was worth it in the end, not because I received the payout that I was owed, but because I won, and didn't allow them to walk all over me and get away with their dirty tactics. Hang in there. Hopefully it won't come to this for you. Let me know if you need anything and we will work out a way to communicate privately.

Buster

Busterasked

NRMA contents insurance. Recent hail storm two beds got wet. I got full price quotes from David Jones. NRMA called MYER and want to pay me the sale price. (The beds are on sale). Would like to know where I stand?
Thank you.

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hello, please call our claims team on 131 123 and speak to the home claims team and they can let you know how the incident happened and if this is covered under your policy. Thanks. -Kaz

Shannonasked

Why does NRMA appoint seperate restorers for building and contracts when the same incident affected both?! This policy has lead to extra damage to my home that NRMA now wants to pretend doesn’t exist.

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

The Claims Team have different contractors to perform different tasks relating to Building and Contents claims. Availability often will play a part in who is assigned or despatched. In areas where claims are high volume, after storm events or crisis situations we do the best we can to assign restorers at very short notice, sometimes this may mean some are for one sole purpose and others may be able to multiple damaged items.

Dr Fayez

Dr Fayezasked

I want to add my granny flat to my policy, is it possible and how?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Dr Fayez, thanks for reaching out about your granny flat. There are a few ways we can cover the granny flat depending on how it is being used, if you have a current policy with us we can include the new structure in your current building insurance and increase the total sum insured to reflect the costs of both buildings alternately you can take out a separate policy for this should you be renting it out or you would like to have a separate policy with shared ownership rather than including it in your current policy for example. If you give us a call on 132 132 we would be able to go through all your options to help you decide what would be the best for your situation. Hope that helps and do not hesitate to let us know if we can provide any more information for you. ~Lochy

Thaimum

Thaimumasked

We were hit by lightning last night and lost a few appliances. Do I need to get an electrician to confirm the damage before I lodge the claim? Thanks

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Thaimum, thanks for your question. Sorry to hear about the lightening strike. We would recommend you call claims on 131 123, they are available 24/7 for claims lodgements. They can let you know what you need to do. Hope this helps. ~Kaz

Andrew M

Andrew Masked

Does NRMA contents insurance cover damage to contents if a tall tree falls on the house under the following circumstances:

(a) the tree or a limb falls during a storm and the tree is in the yard of the property being insured;

(b) the tree or a limb falls during a storm and the tree is in the yard of the the neighbour's property;

(c) the tree just drops a big limb (which is what big Australian trees often do) without there being a storm and the tree is in the property owner's yard;

(d) the tree just drops a big limb (which is what big Australian trees often do) without there being a storm and the tree is in the neighbour's yard.

My uncle lives in a bushy suburb full of tall gum trees. He is worried that if one of the tall gum trees in his yard, or in the yard of a neighbour, crashes onto his property then he will not be insured.

Col J
Col J

No idea. Ask the Insurance company

Peter
Peter

Hi Andrew, I am not sure....I recommend contacting NRMA and asking them

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs

Whatever they tell you verbally,get it in writing.Conversations over the phone arent worth spit.

liz

lizasked

I Have lost a diamond ring in my house. Pulled the house to bits, and can,t find it. Am I covered by my house and contents insurance for it. What is the procedure?

Adnamira
Adnamira

Generally speaking, the answer would be "no". For the Home and Contents policy to kick in, the loss of the item would generally have to be due to one of the EXTERNAL 'events or conditions' referred to in the Policy....things like fire, flood, storm, theft/burglary etc.

Please accept that I am not being disrespectful here but this loss sounds like it would be looked upon as an INTERNAL issue and, as such, it would probably not be a policy coverage condition.

Mention of jewellery reminds me to suggest you ask yourself some questions about at what VALUE should be it insured ?"....

....the price paid for it ?,
....the value of it in the condition it was at the time ?,
....the price of replacing it (new) at today's prices ?,
....the 'sentimental' value ?
....should I be photographing/documenting the condition of all my jewellery in case I do have a fire etc. ?.

And remember, if a fire occurs the fire usually destroys the items and the documentation.....so suggest you store them separately.

All the best.

Dan
Dan

I'm not sure about loss inside the home, however if you have personal effects insurance for the ring (i.e. it's covered when you take it outside of your home - a common optional addition to contents insurance for certain items you nominate) then if you were to (for example) drop it in a river or the ocean, then it would be covered.

Theresa

Theresaasked

I have read many bad reviews and warnings of NRMA not paying out in claims. Would the same be the case for Green Slip claims? I have taken my Green Slip cover from them because they advertise that they also offer "at fault" warranty which other companies apparently don't. Has anybody on this forum perhaps had experience with a Green Slip claim from NRMA? All the negative posts have me a bit worried now and I am wondering whether it will be possible to cancel my green slip cover and transfer it elsewhere.

Mark
Mark

Even if you could guarantee cover with these crooks, I would bet you could get the same cover at half the cost from any other insurer. NRMA are not whom people think they are.

W. Wallace
W. Wallace

My advice...if you want an answer to your question, take a couple of minutes and check out the circumstances behind the "Justice for Layton" case on Facebook. NRMA has a very bad reputation, justifiably so in the opinion of a scarred ex-employee of NRMA M&S, so 'at fault' is something that is sold but frankly not really a solid product.... and if the driver that hits you is 'at fault' in your opinion....well just read the Layton case and make your own mind up. Me...?. not a chance i would have anything with No Real Management Available.

Get an answer from our members and NRMA Insurance representatives