Sennheiser RS 175

Sennheiser RS 175 Questions & Answers

VerifiedMPNs:508676 and RS175
Don G.
Don G.

My set 175 works but the volume goes off for 3-4 seconds and comes back on....batteries are strong...unit is new...sometimes is seems it happens on one channel but not the others.....I get my service through Infinity....any ideas?

Mr. Fix it

Hi Don, this sounds quite strange. It would appear that you have an intermittent fault with the headphones. I would return them to the seller and get them replaced under warranty. Regards, John.

Shlaguadonf
Shlaguadonf

Hello, I have an Rs175 headset that I connect in optical on my TV here is my problem. I watch a movie from my nvidea shield pro box which is connected in hdmi on my TV, and the headset is connected to the TV. However I have very painful microphone sound cut that I do not have in analog connection. Where could this problem come from?

Mr. Fix it

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I have no knowledge of the nvidea shield pro box you speak of so I cannot offer any advice on the matter. I would try a big retailer of such equipment, and also Sennheiser to get some clues on your problem. Good luck, John.

Mel G.

My RS175 sometimes work and sometimes does not. It is not the batteries, they are fine. I use optical which shows the red glow to function. I got them as a gift for Christmas 2020 and don't know what shop they came from, no receipt either. I hadn't been using them for a few months and the more frequent I use them, they are just silent. If I press the volume up button, I hear a little beap beap. Any suggestions please?

Falco

I know you said it’s not the batteries, but have you tried “other” batteries to double check.Also I have a microwave that interferes with my set. There is also a possibility that it may be something to do with the optical out on your tv. Have you tried the analogue connection.

Hi Mel G,
this might not apply to you as I don't use the optical connection (I use the 3.5mm audio cable plugged into an amplifier), but I find if I don't have the volume on my amplifier turned up enough that the headphones can't detect a signal and won't turn on. This happens with 2 different Sennheiser headphone models, and 2 different amps. I don't know if your headphones are connected to a TV or an amp, but if it's a TV then try turning up the TV volume way up first and then turn the headphones on. If that works, you just have to find the right TV volume that triggers the headphones to turn on. Hope this helps.

Mel G.

Hey thanks Falco for the suggestion. I have tried a number of different batteries and same result. I haven't tried the analogue connection because we specifically want my husband to use the headphones and I listen to the tv. So we have different volumes. Cheers.

Mel G.

Hi 6amcrisis, I do have mine plugged into a satellite box which distributes to the tv. I have played around with the volume on the tv as well as the satellite, to no avail. I have been playing with the volumes, but nothing on any control has helped, yet. Thanks anyway for the ideas. Cheers.

6AMCRISIS

Hi Mel, sorry that didn't help. Other things you can try in case you haven't already:
1. On the back of the headphone stand is a little switch that moves up and down. It should be in the UP position for optical connections, or DOWN for analog connections. This is not likely to be your problem, but you never know if it has moved with cleaning etc.
2. It's also possible the problem is also with your satellite box instead. Can you try connecting the headphones using the analog (3.5mm) cable instead to test?
3. If you're hearing beeps when you turn the volume up or down on the headphones it means you're at the maximum or minimum volume I think. It's easy to get the volume up and down buttons mixed up on the headphones without looking as they are close. Are you pressing the right button? Maybe you've just turned the volume all the way down accidentally?
4. Check the optical cable. Optical cables shouldn't have any sharp bends in them. They should lay or hang with loose curves only to make sure the fragile cable inside doesn't break. So don't fold or tightly wind them up. If you have another optical cable try changing them to test.
Good luck!

Mel G.

Thanks for the tips. I had the optical connected to the foxtel box and then went into advanced settings where I was able to change Audio and Language Settings - Digital Output setting. I changed the mpeg to AC3 and the AC3 to mpeg. No idea what this means, but it worked and the RS175 works terrific. The sound is great. Thanks for peoples help.

Charles W.
Charles W.

RS 175 constantly dropping out. No other devices running?

6AMCRISIS

Check for any 2.4ghz WiFi activity while the drop outs are occurring, such as smart home appliances, (WiFi smart lights, smart switches, Google Home, etc) or anything that uses 2.4Ghz WiFi, like older tablets, phones and computers. That's what causes the dropouts here. If the WiFi activity is near the headphones, you'll get a constant series of close dropouts in sound. If this is the problem, move whatever is causing it further away from the headphone base and change WiFi channel as well.

6AMCRISIS

Also, depending on how your equipment is setup, if the headphones are connected to your amp/receiver, you can get dropouts if the amp/receiver isn't capable of properly decoding the sound format of whatever you're watching. Can occur with older gear and some newer sound formats if you stream your movies to media players for example.

Falco

A poorly manufactured Microwave, is also good at blocking wifi and Bluetooth.

Annie

Does anyone out there know if Sennheiser RS 175 Headphones can be paired via Bluetooth with a Panasonic Viera Smart TV (2017) please.
PS: just researching before purchase.

Falco

They will work with ANY Television that has a Digital or Analog audio out. Most recent decent TVs have these outputs, and I would be very surprised if your panasonic didnt have these.

6AMCRISIS

Hi Annie - these are not Bluetooth headphones so they can't *pair* with any Bluetooth device or tv. However, as long as you have at least a headphone output on the tv, or a digital optical output (check the back of the tv) then you can connect the headphones using the included 3.5mm analog cable or optical cable.

Annie

Thank you both - Falco and 6ancrisis - for your assistance, much appreciated. Annie.

Dennis ..

The Sennheiser HDR 175 am I able to connect with online gaming for my sons Xbox one x ?
Does it have a built in mic if not am I able to connect it with a mic In any way I’m a novice in this area any information would be amazing google can’t answer this for me

Falco

No you can’t connect a microphone. You really need a gaming headset. Hope this helps.

Damn thank you

Alaine H.
Alaine H.

Does this product work with a TV that doesn't have Bluetooth?

Falco

Yes it doesn’t need the tv to have Bluetooth. Just a audio out. Either analogue or digital.

6AMCRISIS

Hi Alaine - these are not Bluetooth headphones, so as long as you can connect with the analog or digital cable connection options you'll be good.

Chris
Chris

Our headphones have stopped working only had them for a couple of months. Have turned them off and on again but no luck. Any suggestions

6AMCRISIS

By "stopped working" do you mean they don't have any power? Or they have power but no sound? If no power, try changing the rechargeable batteries first. If you have power but no sound, try working through the troubleshooting steps in their online manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/924814/Sennheiser-Rs-175.html?page=29#manual

Cielkaye

Can two of us hear the tv with these? One wearing the headphones, and one not?

Falco

I have my RS175 connected with an optical out of the Sony tv, to optical in on the Sennheiser and, Yes, one person can use the headphones and you can also use the tv speakers.

Thanks for that :)

Chris S
Chris S

RS175 with optical connection to a Samsung 55 UHD HDR 100hz Smart TV.

I can get sound with free to air TV but nothing when connecting to external HD videos?

I think there is also a problem with sound for HD TV channels?

Falco

I don’t think it’s a Sennheiser fault, as I have multiple inputs into my Sony OLED and I have no problems getting sound out of the headphones using the optical input.

Phil C
Phil C

My dad has the same issue with the same television, he can not hear any HD channels through the headphones . SD channels are fine. Optical connection

Ron
Ron

Have a pair connected to optical out on a samsung TV. Worked fine for a few weeks but now they only work on Channel 8. Checked my audio settings to make sure Dolby was off and all looks good. HELP

DES3175
DES3175

How long do the batteries last on average?

navag
navag

As long as they are charged over night the AAA rechargeable batteries that come with the head phones, will last all day and evening.

Get an answer from our members and Sennheiser representatives