BMW X5

38 questions from our users

Steve c

Steve casked

X5 E70

I have a bmw 2007 x5 e70 3.0d. I start it and it will tick over for like 10 minutes then shuts off, I remover the key start it again then it starts but dies straight away. This happens over and over . The next morning it did the same. Any ideas please?

Dolorado
Dolorado

Hi Steve,
Mine had the same problem and we found it was the MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) then ran perfectly afterwards. I sold it before something else went wrong. :-)

Striney Pillay

Striney Pillayasked

X5 E70

My E70 3.0 SD X5 loses power after a long trip , I can still drive it but when I depress accelerator the response is poor , like no boost

Sydney C.

Sydney C.asked

X5 E70

Hi my 2007 BMW x5 3.0 d cuts off while driving. I replaced all fuel related sensors, fuel regulator, fuel pressure, fuel measure and the fuel pump. But it still do the same. It will start and cuts off after some few minutes. It shows the low battery warning signs and lose time and date. Can a low battery cause the car to cut off while running? Please help I am frustrated

norrie

norrieasked

X5 E70

Where is the ignition coil situated in a bmw x5 e70 3.0sd?

Martyn
Martyn

Its diesel,it has no ignition coil. It has glow plugs insted of spark plugs.

Rafeek G.

Rafeek G.asked

X5 E70

My x5 e70 30d 2008 drives has power loss and severe black smoke this happens after I drive it for a while then park it and when I I drive it again after an hour this happens but when the van stands overnight and I drive it then it’s fine. Any help?

BenMCasked

Hi All,
I have just purchased a 2010 X5 Diesel with 110,000km. Was driving fine (had done 300km in it) then cut out going up a steep bridge. The ignition was still on and it turned over but wouldnt start. popped the key out and put it back in then it re-started. Filled the tank with fresh diesel, but still kept doing it. Got to a workshop, cam up with a bunch of old history codes, but the most recent was (Injector 5 fault) cleared them and test drove, sometimes it would drive for 30 seconds, then other times 20 minutes. This X5 has had a DPF delete done, but that was a while ago according to the old owner. It sat over the weekend then came up with a fault on the screen stating (Fuel pump issue, see dealer) The workshop has been trying a few things and now is has a transfer case fault, I cant see how that would make the car stop. Any thoughts? I read that a lot of people have the Injector 5 fault, but does replacing that fix anything?
Thanks in advance

Healing plants
Healing plants

My Dads Honda used to do this a while back I think he tried changing everything, but found out that the problem actually was in the ignition barrel once he changed it all it was perfect again. Hope u find out what’s causing it

Phantom
Phantom

soumds like you have a common issue where water gets into the top of number 5 injector and corrodes the sensor on top of the injector itself. They some time just change 5 and 6, sometimes suggest change all. The plastic guards running above the back of the motor that keep the water from running into the engine bay under the bonnet fail/leak and let water drip onto the back of the motor.

BenMC

Yep, thats what it was. I found a great BMW mechanic in Melbourne how diagnosed it and sorted it out for me.
I then hit a kangaroo in it 2 weeks later and its in the panel shop....I think its jinxed :-(

Rohan V.

Rohan V.asked

X5 E53

How much did it cost to buy x5 bmw in 2002 3litre automatic?

Tony

Tonyasked

X5 E70

Need some help. Dealer scan and doesn´t really know why it happens. Got X5 xdrive premium 3.0TD, 2011. It gives an engine fault, a yellowish message with half an engine drawing, then it says: full engine power no longer available. Possible to continue journey. Drive moderately. Have the problem checked by the nearest BMW dealer. Problem is, the dealer can´t figure out what the problem is. It got worse when we took it to the beach, here in Costa Rica, the temperatures were at 96F, and that worsen the problem. What it happens is that when I step on it an the revs reach around 3000rpm, it trouble shoots and you can feel the engine actually looses power. When slowing down, then the message disappears and the car keeps running, apparently normally. Except when I tried again to accelerate, it happened again. Does someone knows what the problem might be? thanks.

Angela

Angelaasked

X5

My 4 wheel drive BMW 5 x has just turned of while driving won't turn on again what is the problem?

Belinda V

Belinda Vasked

X5 E53

What causes my e53 x5 back to the top?

Pam

Hi Belinda ,I’m not sure what you mean by back to the top?? Please elaborate on your question. Regards Pam

Mark

Markasked

X5 E53

How can i unlock car with flat battery drivers door handle broken?

Pam

We had to replace both door handles, drivers and passenger- not sure how I can help you with that. Sorry.

Gary P

Gary Pasked

X5 E70

Timing Chains any issues ?

Martin
Martin

Had no issues so far - nothing picked up in the annual services. Could be a nasty surprise later down the track? I'll be turning the car over in September for the new shape.

Rhoda

Rhodaasked

X5 E70

What are the sign if your car needs a battery replacement, I have a BMW X-5 3D 2007 in this past few days it's giving me beep while driving aside from the resetting of clock/date every now and then.
Do you have any answer on this?

Rhoda

Rhodaasked

X5 E70

I have this BMW X-5 3D, the keep on asking me set clock/date,it just happening this few weeks. How do I resolve this problem?..please give some answer

Arsh G

This indicates a low battery. Unfortunately the only solution is to replace your car battery.

zaman

zamanasked

X5 E70

Hi every one .2008 BMW X5 3.0si have starting problem ! mostly second time or 3d when I stop to take gas or go for 5/10 minutes stop the engine then its seem like hard to take start and some time it doesn't !! I already bought a motor master battery eliminator by 300 $ then it was good for 2 days now it came back ! I when it start once every things working good no any other problems ...please help me ...

Kim S
Kim S

Check the fuel sensor

Louis

Louisasked

X5 E70

Hello my BMW X5 e70 cuts out while driving losses all power I take the key out and put it back in it will start straight back up when I accelerate it cuts out again keeps doing it intermittently had injectors checked fuel pump checked but all ok any suggestions what it could be would be grateful if someone could give me some

tray

Hi did you find out what the problem was?
as ive had same problem .
ive had hp diesel pump .
diesel tank pump .
2 injectors changed .
still same problem .
any one any help

johnnykayal
johnnykayal

Hi there check the rail pressure sensor the front one

Kcv
Kcv

Check MAF sensor

Benzo

Benzoasked

X5 E70

My e70 3.0 xdrive exerts a cloud of black smoke when I increase the throttle from mid to full throttle what can the issue be? please help.

karabo m.
karabo m.

One of the turbo pipes is broken or bit loss check that.

Silver Foxasked

X5

Hi all! I'm considering swaping my 105 series Landcruiser for a 2003 x5 sport 4.4 V8 petrol auto. It seems to run ok but it has a considerable engine oil leak with oil covering the coolong plate under the engine. Any advice on the oil leak & what to look out for with this model would be appreciated. Thank silver fox

Hi there,
Unfortunately, X series are notorious for oil leaks especially beyond 100K mileage. Your best option, in my view, is to take it to your mechanic and have the seal replaced. Hopefully that will sort it out. There is a small chance there might be a crack in a gasket or worse the engine body but the mechanic would be able to diagnose that.

Silver Fox

Thanks, I am considering asking to get it checked by a mechanic. Pre purchase inspection. Cheers Silver Fox

Joeasked

Hi everyone,
Would like to buy a second hand x5 diesel 7 seat, would like to hear any positive or negative?
Thanks everyone
Cheers

Hey Joe. Glad to hear that you're considering a 7 seater X5 diesel. I have the 2011 30D 7 seater. Very economical.

The only Con I can say is that you will not have a spare tyre in the car. The 2 extra seats takes up the space for that tyre. The Pro is definitely that you can have 6 guests in the car.

For the times that you do use the 2 extra seats in the back, make sure that you pull forward the (3) middle row seats (just a bit forward). If you don't, it will be a very tight leg room for those guests in the 2 back seats.

Henry

Thanks for your advise Henry,

Could you please tell me about bit more about this car maintenance or anything need to be fixed, beside the spare tyre and sit, I think to buy a second hand for my wife driving local and taking kids to school,

Cheers

Goodersasked

X5 E70

My x5 e70 2007 3.0d keeps cutting out and going into neutral ..
Driving along losses power and puts its self into N . I have to take the key out put back in the push start and drive on ... happens randomly again .. i keep having to do this
Can anyone help?

David P
David P

I don't know if you solved this but they automatically go to neutral if the trans oil level is low or the filter becomes blocked and prevents oil flow into the transmission. I would start there, replace the trans oil filter and oil, it should be done every 100ks anyway, despite what the handbook says.

Gooders

Perfect thank you ..will give it a go

tray

hi did you sort the problem with your x5. as im having same problem.

Get an answer from our members and BMW representatives