Pentair Rebel

Pentair Rebel Questions & Answers

65 questions from our users

matt w.
matt w.asked

Hi can someone tell me why my rebel cleaner goes onto its side (on one wheel) it was working perfect now just does this continuously, only 5 months old. Thankyou

John T.
John T.

Buy the Pentair float which fits about 18" from the cleaner head on the vacuum hose. It will solve your problem.

Mick
Mickasked

Purchased my Rebel Pentair back in 2013 and have been reasonably happy with it. Have used the tune up kit on a couple of occasion to replace cogs, wheels etc. Have just purchased a new tune up kit but appear to have bought the Pentair 2 kit by mistake. from what I can make out from the adverts, it appears to have very similar, if not the same, components with the exception being the tyre tread. It is in the mail already so I’m likely stuck with it, so can anyone confirm, other than the tyres, what other differences there are with this kit and what likely won’t work/fit in my old machine? Thanks, Mick

Patriot
Patriot

My suggestion is to call the manufacturer or if you have a pool 'store' nearby perhaps they can help.

D M.
D M.asked

It’s truly the damndest thing. In my rectangular pool (and regardless the level of suction) it climbs the wall, releases, climbs the same spot again until the wheels rotate at which time it releases from the wall, and having rotated just slightly before releasing it falls at such an angle that after completing the rotation it’s aimed right back up the same spot on the wall.

This absurdity is so mesmerizing that I’ve spent up to 30 minutes watching. It can eventually move, but only to do the wall gag in another location, typically spending its hours in 3-4 locations and always in the deep end.

Replaced parts but no change. I don’t see everyone else describing the same observation, so I don’t think it’s a piece of junk. But I also don’t know what to do. Any ideas?

Honest Bob
Honest Bobasked

Why do people want this to climb walls? To me this seems unnecessary when the leaves and bugs are sitting on the bottom of the pool. Also some people say it doesn't work in tiled pools but are they using the special tyres designed for tiled pools? They are different to the tyres for concrete pools.

Ali R.
Ali R.asked

My rebel doesn’t clean the pool as well when the cover is on and the hose gets tangled what should I do

Noelene
Noeleneasked

I bought a rebel 2 for x/mas & it was perfect for about 3 weeks & now it only cleans the top half of the pool, I have tried changing the hose lengths around but it makes no difference, how do you fix it ? Regards, steve.

Brad Rowe
Brad Rowe

Hi Steve my Rebel 2 since xmas is still going great, have you contacted your pool shop or Pentair direct, I would be interested if mine started doing this but have you installed the buoncy piece at I think 600mm from the unit on the hose?

Bob
Bob

Hi Noelene
Seems to be a common complaint. They will sell you a tune up kit - if this is better quality than the rest of it - who knows. I declined and bought another cleaner which seems OK.

Katrina
Katrinaasked

My Rebel 2 just keeps in one spot against the pool wall no matter how many times I move it. The baskets are clean and back washing done

ddw

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a serious design flaw with these things. The gear teeth on the left wheel are not pushed far enough into the ring gear on the outer portion of the left wheel (inside) to work for more than a few weeks. It does not take long for it to get to where the right hand wheel is the only drive wheel, so it just sits in one spot.

This is a design fault that has to do with the cam and follower sizing that changes the left wheel direction by forcing the geared shaft into either the inner ring or the outer ring of the left wheel. Pentair should be ashamed to have released these into the market.

If you still have warranty, take it back to Pentair or your installer. I am on my 3rd one in about a year. They are total junk, but as long as they keep replacing them, I will keep using it.

Next one will be the Zodiac MX8. May not be better, but certainly couldn't be worse.

BCB
BCBasked

I took the rebel out of the pool while I was swimming. I have put it back in the water but now it's not working. Will it start up again on it's own, or do I need to do something more to it? Hoping I haven't broken it.

ddw

You might need to prime your main pump (pool filter) by opening the strainer lid (while pump is shut off), then pouring in a bucket or two of water, closing the lid, then starting the pump. It should prime and then all will likely be well.

Do the above with the Rebel in the pool, submerged.

Good luck!

Mary A.
Mary A.asked

I have had the Rebel for a couple of months and it gets caught in the corner of the shallow end and never moves. It has been doing this since the beginning. Filter is clean and we have cleaned all basket and hoses. Any suggestions?

JTD
JTDasked

I have purchased the Pentair Rebel 2, and now realise it’s supposed to be in the pool for only 1-2 hours each day, without the cover. This takes away the ‘hands off’ aspect I was seeking. Does anyone leave it in full time, and with the cover on? Would love to know if this is possible as otherwise I may as well have stayed with a manual vacuum (it’s a very small pool).

telstrareplacement
telstrareplacement

I own a pool maintenance business in Sydney and have dozens of regular clients with both mk1 and 2 pentair rebels and all of them happily spend their entire lives permanently in the pool doing two 4hr cycles a day,some under blankets as well.

Trazana F.
Trazana F.asked

My Rebel 2 within 5 minutes of being in pool is upside down and can't right itself HELP my 2nd pool cleaner in as many years

Kalon W.
Kalon W.

Mine also does this. Did you get a response? How do you fix this issue?

Dan C.
Dan C.asked

There is a substantial lug on each wheel of the Pentair Rebel and I’m wondering if they need to be in any particular orientation? I’ve noticed when they’re lined up directly across from one another, they can spend a lot of time in one position along the radius bend from the pool floor and wall - and when I separate their alignment, the unit spins off the previous “stuck position” immediately.

Colin and Maree Johnson
Colin and Maree Johnsonasked

Has anyone got a review on the Pentair prowler 920 robotic pool cleaner

Laura
Lauraasked

Is it recommended to change the wheels on the rebel pentair if I am replacing the tires? Or is it ok to just change out the tires because they are worn? Thank you for any help.

Lynn A.
Lynn A.asked

My rebel wants to stay in the deep end and we have to move it to the other end by hand. It then works but always migrates back to the deep end. Help it is only 3 years old.

Mike
Mike

My pool & rebel were started up 18 months ago, & my rebel does the same. Only cleans deep end. I brush shallow end towards deep. Hopefully someone will provide advice for this issue.

David S.
David S.

I had the same issue, this is an design flaw in the Rebel 2. the drive shaft gets worn out easily and the wheel will stop turning when this happens. You need to unscrew the wheel that doesn't turn and install the new drive shaft. You can get the parts in your local pool shop https://www.poolspot.com.au/left-drive-kit-for-pentair-rebel.

I hope this helps

Mel

Mine is doing this now. First it wasn't moving at all then someone opened it up and removed and reattached the hoses and started working but now moves around in deep end. I take it to the shallow and it makes its way back. I've only had it 1 year

Melasked

I know my my rebel works... it doesn't work during regular timed pool cleaning but it does when I do a quick wash? What is the issue. ? Thanks!

Steve

it works on good suction normally a fast clean the suction runs fast,,check pipes for obstructions filter may need cleaning....was my 1st thought

Thank you!

Connie P.
Connie P.asked

Should both wheels turn freely? One of mine doesn't and it's not vacuuming. Any ideas?

Steve

perhaps a tune up kit if one wheel is not turning...or obstructions in the pipe or the filter needs a clean,,check suction

Bob Hasked

I changed from a suction type pool cleaner to a pentair Rebel (been 2 months now) and I notice a black rubber substance around the waterline of my pool. (only thing that is black in the pool is the tires on the rebel. is this a common occurance/life of tires?

Adso

I haven't noticed anything on the 2 pools I look after (1 is pebble 1 is vinyl), is it black algae attached to the wall? If so thats not good! If its floating bits or rubber maybe... or dust from a building site perhaps..

Steve

id have a very close look at what the black stuff really is b4 you take any action Bob

Bob H

Thank You Adso and Steve for your help, no black algea. What is the best salution to clean the tires? Tires are still strong and operating.

David D.
David D.asked

Hi there I recently purchased a Rebel 2 (3 months ago) it was working fine had it out of the pool for 2 weeks now it only goes for a metre then stops I take it out of the water check it then put it back it does the same thing any suggestions cheers David

Adso

If its not a suction power issue, did you try pulling it apart? Make sure all the cogs are moving freely and nothing is obscuring, you can feel if there is any resistance or damage or anything in there, wouldnt be much wear and tear in 3mths, an obstruction seems more likely.

Steve

always make sure there is no obstruction between the Rebel and the skimmer box..large leaves ect get jammed ...if thats ok id look at your actual filter to see if it needs back flushing,,or like mine the old cylinder filter ..it might need a hose down as this limits suction power to the Rebel...my cogs were a little worn over the years so i installed a tune up kit..all runs fast and cleans very well ....Rebel works 100% when it has great suction

Grace D.
Grace D.asked

My Rebel Suction side pool cleaner will only go around in a small circle. How can I fix this?

bryan s.
bryan s.

If it’s more than 1 year old it probably needs the internal drive shaft replaced, as they wear, I has posted about it before, look at the other questions

Other Suction Pool Cleaners