Pentair Rebel

Pentair Rebel Questions & Answers

56 questions from our users

JTD

JTDasked

I have purchased the Pentair Rebel 2, and now realise it’s supposed to be in the pool for only 1-2 hours each day, without the cover. This takes away the ‘hands off’ aspect I was seeking. Does anyone leave it in full time, and with the cover on? Would love to know if this is possible as otherwise I may as well have stayed with a manual vacuum (it’s a very small pool).

Trazana F.

Trazana F.asked

My Rebel 2 within 5 minutes of being in pool is upside down and can't right itself HELP my 2nd pool cleaner in as many years

Dan C.

Dan C.asked

There is a substantial lug on each wheel of the Pentair Rebel and I’m wondering if they need to be in any particular orientation? I’ve noticed when they’re lined up directly across from one another, they can spend a lot of time in one position along the radius bend from the pool floor and wall - and when I separate their alignment, the unit spins off the previous “stuck position” immediately.

Colin and Maree Johnson

Colin and Maree Johnsonasked

Has anyone got a review on the Pentair prowler 920 robotic pool cleaner

Laura

Lauraasked

Is it recommended to change the wheels on the rebel pentair if I am replacing the tires? Or is it ok to just change out the tires because they are worn? Thank you for any help.

Lynn A.

Lynn A.asked

My rebel wants to stay in the deep end and we have to move it to the other end by hand. It then works but always migrates back to the deep end. Help it is only 3 years old.

Mike
Mike

My pool & rebel were started up 18 months ago, & my rebel does the same. Only cleans deep end. I brush shallow end towards deep. Hopefully someone will provide advice for this issue.

David S.
David S.

I had the same issue, this is an design flaw in the Rebel 2. the drive shaft gets worn out easily and the wheel will stop turning when this happens. You need to unscrew the wheel that doesn't turn and install the new drive shaft. You can get the parts in your local pool shop https://www.poolspot.com.au/left-drive-kit-for-pentair-rebel.

I hope this helps

Mel

Mine is doing this now. First it wasn't moving at all then someone opened it up and removed and reattached the hoses and started working but now moves around in deep end. I take it to the shallow and it makes its way back. I've only had it 1 year

Melasked

I know my my rebel works... it doesn't work during regular timed pool cleaning but it does when I do a quick wash? What is the issue. ? Thanks!

Steve

it works on good suction normally a fast clean the suction runs fast,,check pipes for obstructions filter may need cleaning....was my 1st thought

Thank you!

Connie P.

Connie P.asked

Should both wheels turn freely? One of mine doesn't and it's not vacuuming. Any ideas?

Steve

perhaps a tune up kit if one wheel is not turning...or obstructions in the pipe or the filter needs a clean,,check suction

Bob Hasked

I changed from a suction type pool cleaner to a pentair Rebel (been 2 months now) and I notice a black rubber substance around the waterline of my pool. (only thing that is black in the pool is the tires on the rebel. is this a common occurance/life of tires?

Adso

I haven't noticed anything on the 2 pools I look after (1 is pebble 1 is vinyl), is it black algae attached to the wall? If so thats not good! If its floating bits or rubber maybe... or dust from a building site perhaps..

Steve

id have a very close look at what the black stuff really is b4 you take any action Bob

Bob H

Thank You Adso and Steve for your help, no black algea. What is the best salution to clean the tires? Tires are still strong and operating.

David D.

David D.asked

Hi there I recently purchased a Rebel 2 (3 months ago) it was working fine had it out of the pool for 2 weeks now it only goes for a metre then stops I take it out of the water check it then put it back it does the same thing any suggestions cheers David

Adso

If its not a suction power issue, did you try pulling it apart? Make sure all the cogs are moving freely and nothing is obscuring, you can feel if there is any resistance or damage or anything in there, wouldnt be much wear and tear in 3mths, an obstruction seems more likely.

Steve

always make sure there is no obstruction between the Rebel and the skimmer box..large leaves ect get jammed ...if thats ok id look at your actual filter to see if it needs back flushing,,or like mine the old cylinder filter ..it might need a hose down as this limits suction power to the Rebel...my cogs were a little worn over the years so i installed a tune up kit..all runs fast and cleans very well ....Rebel works 100% when it has great suction

Grace D.

Grace D.asked

My Rebel Suction side pool cleaner will only go around in a small circle. How can I fix this?

bryan s.

If it’s more than 1 year old it probably needs the internal drive shaft replaced, as they wear, I has posted about it before, look at the other questions

Viper

Viperasked

My Rebel won’t close all the way. I’ve opened it about 100 times over the last 2 years (because it always gets clogged and quits moving) but now it simply won’t close all the way. Obviously, it doesn’t work now, any suggestions? Thank you

Mark A.asked

I recently bought my Rebel 2 Pool cleaner for my Pebble pool. The Rebel 2 Pool cleaner is having great difficulty climbing the walls, gets about 6 inches up and just floats back down. I had the pool shop do a call out, they dropped the float level down to about 6 inches up on the first small hose and dropped speed down.

This slightly helped. I was advised it was because of the new tyres especially because of the lugs on the tyres they are pushing the Rebel away from the sides. I was advised that as these wear down I should notice a difference in the climbing.
Is anyone else having this same problem ?

bryan s.

I have never had this problem, it sounds like the are talking rubbish to me, it should work straight away, I have a concrete pool (smooth surface) and it climbed the walls new and with worn tyres, I’m. Not sure how rough the pebble surface is but I suspect it’s just not getting the required suction

Mark A.

Hi Bryan, ty for the reply. I have used the device provided, with the Rebel 2 and it is at the maximum level for pressure. As to speaking rubbish I wish I could add a vid file of it on here. The lack of climbing and the drop away of the Rebel 2 was noted by the pool shop and their response was as I wrote. This was why I respectfully asked the question.

Bradley P.
Bradley P.

Hi Bryan. I had the exact same problem. My Rebel has run beautifully for years but rubber tyres were starting to wear and was getting stuck on the step. Got replacement tyres but they sent me rubber tyres for tiles pools SKU 8031 instead of rubber tyres for concrete pools SKU 360287. The larger humps prevent the rebel from going up the walls.

Chris

Chrisasked

My rebel cleaner has worked good for two summers now but it seems to be "sleeping" more then ever. In a corner, half way up the side wall, it just stops and doesn't move. Once I manually move it back into the middle of the pool it will start working again but soon after goes to sleep again. Any help?

Steve

the suction is not good enough for it to spin about and cover the whole pool ..look at cleaning the pool filter for more suction..or blockages ..or perhaps the cogs are a little worn and you need to replace them with a tune up kit

Wil B.

Wil B.asked

I have a 3 month old Pentair Rebel. It has been working fine until recently. It appears to primarily run in reverse. With the debris/suction opening Facing the rear and handle to the rear. Once it hits the wall, it will flip onto its top and stay there for a long time. Any suggestions?

bryan s.

Maybe take a video and take it back to shop if it’s only 3 months old, it’s still under warranty

BILLasked

Rebel cleaner recently only cleans deep end of pool?
All baskets clear, pressure gauge OK.

bryan s.

Take it apart and have a look at the shafts, if they show wear it means the cogs are not catching the teeth on the wheel and it doesn’t move very far, if they are worn you will have to replace them, costs $80 on line, replace both left and right shafts

BILL

Thank you - will give it a go.

Jeanetter

Jeanetterasked

Can it clean steps, pick up sand.

Brett
Brett

Doesn't go up or down my steps and I've never thrown sand in the pool to find out if its picked up.

Raingod
Raingod

It picks up sand but it doesn't climb steps. Very few cleaners can.

Phil M.

Phil M.asked

Brand new Pentair Rebel constantly gets stuck on curved portions of the pool. Any suggestions?

Mono
Mono

Hi Phil. If you have a tiled pool as I do I found the Rebel to be no good as the tyres won't grip and the machine spent a lot of time spinning and thinking. I have just swapped mine for a Great White and even with my shiny tiles it has gone over the curves and up the wall. Hope this helps. Cheers

Tiziana F.

Tiziana F.asked

I have no water flow to pump!

Paul R.
Paul R.

Might need a backwash

DAV

DAVasked

my rebel 2 cleaner continually tangles it self and then will only stay in deep end. Any suggestions?

Kludo
Kludo

Turn off pump and remove the Rebel from the pool and disconnect the hose. Open the Rebel casing up and pull out the grey neck (the bit that connects to the hose). Try spinning the neck and if it doesn't spin freely, there is more than likely some debris (usually small piece of twig in my case) stuck in the spinning neck piece. If that's the case, just use a tiny screwdriver or similar and remove the object. Hans.

Other Suction Pool Cleaners