24Volkswagen Passat

Volkswagen Passat Questions & Answers

Shailendra K.
Shailendra K. · Passat

How long is a warranty on a Volkswagen 2015 passat?

Dorian P.
Dorian P. · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

Hi everyone!
Does anyone here have any experience with the 1.4 122 hp tsi bluemotion unit which can be found in 2009 to 2010 passats. So, ive heard about reliability problems with earlier versions of this ea111 gas unit (ones with 160-180 hp), but i want to know about this particular one.

Melzi
Melzi · Passat

Would you buy an Passat 09 diesel variant? I know diesel gate and DSG disasters... just wanting anyone’s solid experience. Thanks

Chris C.
Chris C.

Sorry, but I have only had petrol engines, so no experience with diesel variants.

Trent
Trent

I currently have a 09 diesel that has done 190k. Fantastic car. There have been some minor issue like a sensor that went but it’s been a great car that has given us very few issues. I never got the patch for diesel gate done. Maybe why I like the car still

Max Mar
Max Mar · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

I own a VW Passat B6 diesel 2007. For the last year or more, I have had this strange shudder from 1200 to 1400 rpm. I have had the car scanned at VW and there is no error code. The shudder/vibration is present in neutral and felt when coasting to stop and the rpm drops to 1200 or when accelerating from stop and exactly from 1200 rpm to 1400 rpm. Beyond that range it is perfect. I have had the car looked at by the dealer, a Euro specialist and a Bosch service station. They all admit there is a shudder but cant identify the problem. The Euro guy thinks it may be the DMF but the VW dealer tells me that if it was the DMF, the noise would be far more audible and ruled it out. He reckons it is likely a injector or mechanical fuel pump issue. The car otherwise runs awesome. I have done 240K mostly drives between Wangaratta and Melbourne and before Sydney to Melbourne. I plan to drive it for as long as no major service issue props up, otherwise it is going to the wreckers. I'd never put a new DSG or spend any serious money on the car given its age and worth(lessness).

Steve H

I had a similar problem "jerk" in 2007 passat tdi dsg6. Over time it got worse and at lights takeoff became quite embarrassing. Ended up being clutch packs and not mechatronics unit which mechanic said was 9 out of 10 times the problem. Second hand dsg6 fixed it for $2k. Other option was to rework my transmission at best anticipated minimum similar cost. That said an advisor in Germany (internet) suggested to me recently that siemens injectors can be spent around 160km, and at 160km upwards, an injector r and r and clean may eliminate future problems. I obtained a second set of used injectors and had them cleaned and reset for $60 each, and have them on standby in case. At roughly 20km/litre and my own 7500km servicing and parts from Denmark at 1/3 VW prices (including air freight), I love these cars and have had 2 x 2007 and will probably have a third given problems I researched in models from 2009-2013. Hope this helps. To "superior" unhelpful spectator comment, blow it out your ****. Good luck

Nadine T.
Nadine T. · Passat

I have noticed that my back top tail light remains on even when the car is turned off. I only notice it in the evening and at night.
I have a 2015 Volkswagen Pasat wagon. Is this a common issue? How can I resolve this?

WolC
WolC · Passat

There are four sliding plastic covered comma shaped cavities above back doors and wagon windows. What are they for??

I.P. Daily
I.P. Daily

Is the answer in your manual?

A W
A W

I assume you are refering to the covers installed in the roof lining on either side of the car in lin with the back of the back seat.
The cavity is designed to take the capped rods that hold the cargo mesh in place whci is rol,ed up in the tube that sits in front of the rear cago compartment cover.
The mesh is pulled up by the rod and the ends insterted inyo the key shaped holes at eqch side. The rod is also telescopic so you push one end to fit it in.
Both the mesh holder and the cargo cover holder can be removed to allow a bulky load when the back seats are folded down. Check out the owners manuql for diagrams and details. - Very comprehensive instructions.
I have owned a TDI Passat wagon for 11 years and it is a great carrying and towing vehicle, highly efficient, economical, reliable and safe as well as more user friendly features than you can poke a stick at.

נחום י.
נחום י. · Passat

I have a Volkswagen Passat 2.0 diesel in 2016 The car turns off after a morning drive and after a second drive is a regular worker someone has an idea?

debraleayr
debraleayr · Passat B7 MK6 (2011-2015)

Looking for workshop paper manual

debraleayr
debraleayr · Passat B7 MK6 (2011-2015)

I'm looking for a paper workshop manual for a B7 2011 vw passat .

Maria
Maria

Sorry Debra, my Passat is a 2018 model. Have you tried the internet or a dealership?

debraleayr

Yes I have but can't find any

We need a 1.8 petrol not a diesel

SJT
SJT

Try a wreckers if you haven’t found one yet.

Nick
Nick · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

Hi Steve,

I'm not if my question directly to you last night would have reached you, so thought I'd also do as a question to your review. Apologies up front if you read my question twice....

I have a 2009 Passat TDI 125kw with DSG6. Done 205,000 km and I've had since start 2014 with 80,000km.

Been a great car and had no issues since 2014. But then all of a sudden the gearbox decided to die three weeks ago. Flashing gear selector on the dash, and only going into first gear.

Took it to the auto transmission mechanic who suggested after doing a scan that it needed changing of one of the solenoids for $950 fitted. Presume this is one of the solenoid a in the mechatronic. This didn't fix problem. So they said $4500 for new mechatronic unit or take car to wreckers for $500.

Have since taken car to small mechanic who is looking for second hand DSG to install.

I see you replaced DSG. Can you please share any advice, such as where to source. Auto Trans man told me I can't do it.

Rob
Rob

Hi Nick ... I was sent your query in error I think as it is addressed as Hi Steve and I am Rob ... Sorry I can't assist ....hope you get the issue resolved.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply and this advice.

I will try to see if I can this query again, but to Steve.

Regards,

Nick.

Mel
Mel · Passat

Hi I'm looking at buying a 2012 passat diesel wagon but concerned as it has 195000kms on the odometer. Does anyone have any experience with cars with this much kms? How long could I expect the engine to last? Thanks.

Steve H

If serviced properly (and certainly not necessarily by VW dealerships) and services are up to date, this engine - from my research, is capable of much higher mileages. I have seen them advertised for sale at 700,000 km plus. Things to watch for at 200k plus, are less than smooth DSG6 transmission/gearbox, smooth noiseless dual mass flywheel operation and clean exhaust Diesel particulate filter. Note...there are cleaning products available for DPF filters. These are all very expensive repairs compared to other makes.The 2.0L diesel engines require a higher fuel cetane rating than Australian average fuel company bowsers. I use BP Ultimate diesel exclusively as it is the only fuel consistently promising/delivering above the 51 cetane rating recommended, and which also includes diesel injector cleaner (info courtesy of BP chemists). City vehicles with history of using lesser fuels do not appeal to me, however, high mileage "highway used vehicles" providing cleaner burning, do not frighten me, I personally have a 2007 2.0L DSG6 Passat sedan with 190K, and after replacing transmission at 170K ($4,000 for a used low km replacement) plan to keep for up to two more years, and then look for a 2013 or newer replacement with no more that 90K, on the assumption that all VW problems experienced in 2007-2012 models have been sorted. On the upside, these vehicles are phenomenal to drive, achieve great fuel economy (mine gets a very accurate 5.4L/100k mixed city/highway), and at times 4.6L/100k highway. I source most of my servicing parts, including 2 sets of brake pads in a bulk order from Europe at an absolute fraction of the hugely inflated prices charged in Australia (try ebay shop e-bock site). I use Nulon 5w30 Euro engine oil at 7,500 intervals, and change oil filters at 15,000 intervals. 60K transmission service with transmission oil/filter from runautoparts in Sydney) and timing service at 120K intervals (kits/belts purchased from Europe and job done at my local independent workshop at 1/3 labour cost quoted by VW dealer. I do my own normal servicing and service light resets. I purchased a VAG tool from the US....$500 but a great investment, in order to be able to read/scan my vehicles computer, and look to the internet for explanation of codes/diagnosis etc, a resource which I value much higher than VW dealerships. I consult European specialists online with symptoms and pay by contribution accordingly which in all cases have been accurate and well worth the small but fair amounts contributed.Answers from this source have been a much better option than VW dealers who can often work on hunches more so than accurate diagnosis. ie keep replacing things until you fluke a fix.....at owners expense. Yes, I do love the vehicle, but through experience of owning 3 VWs, avoid the support network like they are a plague. Hope this helps.

Baci
Baci

Hi.

I own a 2012 Passat wagon 2 litre tdi. Mine has done 187000 km and has not missed a beat. However, things to look out for.

1. The timing belt has to b changed every 100000km, this also includes the water pump.

Make sure this has been down. Over $1200 to replace.

2. Check the air conditioner to see if it’s running cold. This is a know problem with Vw ac compressors.

3. Check that the DSG gearbox has been serviced regularly. Ie oil changes. Also check if the software to the negation ice unit has been updated. Should be a sticker on the inside of the drivers door. Not the diesel gearbox was much more reliable than the petrol version.

Other than that, mine has been a great car.

Abhi A.
Abhi A. · Passat B8 MK7

did the R-line package reduce the ride comfort due to lowering of suspension/larger wheels?

Steve H

New tyres seemed extremely noisy but rode well. Noise ended up being right rear wheel bearing. Apparently not unusual for new tyres and wheel align to affect wheel bearings on vehicles with higher mileage. Hope this helps.... Cheers.

Kelvin
Kelvin

The stiffer suspension gives a better handling especially during cornering. For me, the stiffer suspension actually offered a better ride comfort due to less rolling. But of course if your main requirement is for a softer rides, This may not offer that.

Ashu
Ashu · Passat

I am buying a vw passat 2014, it has done 66,000 kms,Car is in very good condition, no wear & tear, but I am bit concerned about the kms it has covered (66k), is it a right buy ?

Steve H

Subject to price,I believe it would be a good buy. After recent research I will be in the market for exactly this model (diesel 2.0 turbo/DSG6 combo) when I move on from my present 2007 sedan which now has done 190k. On a personal note, I am happy to sacrifice years for kilometres within the same production run. For instance, if production run went 2013-2016, I would opt for a 2013 model with 40,000km than a 2015 model with 90,000km, given that both were around the same price. I am also "red-hot" on extra oil and filter changes midway through regular VW long servicing schedules. For very sound reasons (as explained to me by industry chemists) I exclusively use BP Ultimate diesel. Hope this helps.

Gill
Gill · Passat

Hi all i am purchasing Volkswagen Passat Type 3C 125TDI Highland built 2011

With 76000 on the clock for $19000. Haven't owned a diesel car before. Any suggestions what should i look for?

Mikee Lions
Mikee Lions

Hi. Don't be scared of owning a diesel car especially VW. When driven sensibly you will get around 6lt/100km which is great. With the Km's on the clock I would check if the timing chain and water pump have been replaced. Overall your purchase should still be sound as the cars are built well. The DSG gearboxes are better from 2012 onwards. Hope this helps. M

Matt_Perth
Matt_Perth

Hi - was the car subject to the diesel recall? Note that if it was, and it hasn't been actioned, there is no legal requirement in Australia to respond. I'm unclear if this is a private purchase, or from a dealer, but I think VW still offers a 100-point type test to check if anything is suspect. I'd suggest a careful look at the DSG (I had a failure at about 75000 km on a 7 year old 6 speed). Enjoy the car - I am driving my 8th VW and every one has been excellent

A Avtamat Kalashnikov K
A Avtamat Kalashnikov K · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

Hi, which dsg gearbox oil the best for vw passat b6 .2006 .2.0tdi diesel?

Steve H

checkout runautoparts on ebay for VW gearbox oil and filters. I source most other genuine vw parts from e-bock in Europe to sidestep VW dealerships and exorbitant prices for VW spares in Australia.

far
far · Passat B7 MK6 (2011-2015)

I wanna buy a 2011 vw passat 2 litre turbo diesel. It has done 180000kms. I am concerned about any issues which may come with this high km. Is it still reliable or not?

Adamg1977

In all honesty it's done a few miles so expect some maintenance. I would say if service done every 15000kms by VW or VW specialist it should be ok. Get a VW mechanic to check it out. In the uk it's common to see 90-120,0000 miles on the Passat around this age and they look pretty good.

tammie.perrett.5
tammie.perrett.5

Just make sure you get a german car specialist to look at it first. Not a vw dealer. They will also check the ecg gear that tends to clog up, especially if auto. They change at such low revs that engine doesnt work hard enough to burn off carbon deposits. But regular services and it'll last 200k km.

cp24
cp24 · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

Does anyone else drive a VW in country areas? We have a 2012 Passat Wagon, and it draws in dust like nothing else. Does anyone have an Alltrack, and does it draw in dust?? Thanks....

Joanne06

Hi, we drive mainly in city areas and if you are talking about the vehicle throwing up dust behind it as it's being driven, we do notice the rear becomes dirty in less than 10 days after washing it where as the rest of the car is relatively clean. If you are talking about dust being drawn into the cabin whilst driving (without windows open, of course), this is unusual and not meant to happen, I'd be taking it up with Volkswagen. We haven't driven on a dirt track of any substantial length in ours to know if it happens to our car. The only other thing that occurs to me is that we notice the chassis will flex slightly at low speed when manoeuvring diagonally over changes in gradient (e.g. cross-overs that are steep compared to the road, or curbs or sharp speed bumps) causing the doors to move slightly and I can hear the 'pop' as the seals release and then re-engage, maybe this is happening on dirt roads?

cp24

Thanks Joanne, yes, I've noticed the 'flex' thing happening too! Good word for it, as I never knew how to describe it ;) We live on a farm, so it's doing a fair bit of dirt driving. Awesome handling, just a dust sucker. Have taken it up with VW, new seals etc etc, and lots of photos taken, door tightened, however, it never really fixes the problem. I'm scared we'll inherit the same problem if we get another Passat or the Alltrack :( Hence putting this question out there :)

Skeleton
Skeleton · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

Has anyone had issues with the electric tailgate stopping half way on an irregular basis on 2011 Passat wagon. 2l TDI. Towbar fitted but trailer not connected when issue occurs. Sounds like the mechanism is struggling a bit when it does it.

Arnold Marsupial

I don't have an electric tail gate, but the gas struts on mine failed at the 3yr mark.

Joanne06

Hi, we have a tow-bar on the 2013 model (Volkswagen fitted) and know that once you connect the trailer lights the tailgate will not open up fully. To get around this, we disconnect the trailer lights and get the Tailgate opening fully. If you are having intermittent issues with electric tailgate operation without trailer lights attached, I'd suggest there's a problem with your wiring.

G Hi
G Hi

It tells you in the manual how to adust the rise If you sop it halfway it may set itsellf there but can be altered Read the manual

john peebles
john peebles · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

Thinking of buying a second hand VW Passat wagon. Wondering what the service costs are and if there are any problems to look for? Where are they made, any models to avoid?.

JayceeMelb77
JayceeMelb77

Hi, I have a corporate service contract so I just see the bill at the end of the year. Haven't had any issues mechanically and on 73k for the mileage. The only issue so far has been a crack on a piece of plastic from the sun which is under warranty and the continental tires all developed cambers and had to be replaced at 40k.

Contact a dealer for service costs, VW are not renown for being cheap to service. Watch for DSG boxes. The vw forum (watercooler) will have more info

Steve H

We have owned our B6 VW Passat sedan 2007 2.0L diesel for 2 years and from 105k. We bought well, but needed to due to potential for recall aka service programs and possible breakdowns and expensive repairs on DSG6 transmission mechatronics unit, oil pumps problems etc etc....Warranty on mechatronics unit was extended to 10 years or 160k and our DSG6 has now imploded at 169k with a quote of $3800 for mechatronics repairs. This is our second passat, but will probably not buy a third, due not to the volume of problems experienced with VW vehicles generally, but due to VW "warranty denial processes and lack of proper after sales servicing in addition to overpricing in the extreme for parts and labour costs. Another major factor with VW Auto Group vehicles is that far too often dealerships fail to diagnose problems with proper definitive results, but rather work on a hit and miss part replacement strategy until a problem is remedied. On a positive note the fuel economy is outstanding but offset by seriously inflated servicing and fundamental breakdown costs. Sophisticated Euro vehicles?.... yes,....... worth the extra costs to buy and own? Not in my opinion, but only due to what I consider to be little less than exploitation at all stages of ownership.

PS I buy my genuine VW parts direct from Europe on average at less than 1/3 cost in Australia inclusive of airfreight. I only look for repair service outside of dealerships.

UPDATE>

Further to my original comment, Mechatronics unit was installed but made no difference and did not eliminate whirring noise. Quoted a further $6k on top to fix.

Your *#*#* joking right!!!! ...No way...

Negotiated removal of new mechatronics and installed a 2nd hand gearbox. Flywheel looked ok but apparently clutch pack (wet clutch in DSG6) was more than likely the problem (apparently they drop a circlip resulting in late engagement with a "horrible delayed and frightening thud"?

Outcomes as related to me:

"tinkling metal"= likely to be mechatronics but maybe dualmass flywheel unless previously replaced (original units used springs which were problematic in service and superceded by a stronger later unit)....remove starter motor from vehicle and check flywheel "play between dual metal discs movement" before ordering mech unit...just in case.

Whirring = "maybe clutch pack" but may also extend to bearings in gearbox...difficult to source bearings and difficult to diagnose......A European fixer of mechatronics units strongly urged me to exhaust all trouble codes especially engine (I had G28 which is crankshaft speed sensor) before going anywhere near transmission.

Too often I read where ad-hoc R & R cost some owners up to $10k. Used transmissions are coming on market in bigger numbers now and at reducing prices. Some advertise at $2200+ while others at $500-$700 quoting similar kms on vehicle being broken.

My biggest disappointment...the tech giant VW transmission failure did not record a transmission fault code after a number of full scans. In spite of this investing in my own Ross-Tech Vag scan tool together with Ross_Tech Wiki support has been my best decision to date.

Taffy P
Taffy P · Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

How comfortable is the seating. We own a Subaru Forester and the upholstery is far too hard for our age.

Adamg1977

I find the seats quite good never to hard,not as supportive as the golf gti I had before though. I travel to Sydney reqularly from Canberra and never have I needed to stop because I was uncomfortable. I have owned many cars both fron japan and and only found european cars seats supportive for my 6 foot 2 frame.

Everyone is different so I suggest you try the seats out. Good luck with your car shopping.

Arnold Marsupial

The seats in my car are leather and pretty comfy. I drive 2 hrs to work often and don't have trouble with the seats and have occasionally driven as long as 6 hr stints. You're wanting to get up and move about before 6 hrs is up, but I expect it would be the same in any car. The drivers seat base has had the top layer of foam in it replaced because it failed within 3 years of new. To replace the whole seat base is $600! I'm 6 foot 2 inches and weigh 100kg.

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Select a listing for your question
Volkswagen Passat