Christmas Gift Ideas for Dad
If you hop onto Google and type in ‘Christmas gifts for Dad,’ you’ll likely be met with a barrage of ads for personalised beer glasses and novelty socks. But since a father’s favourite catch phrase may as well be ‘Don’t worry love, I already have everything I need’ - it’s just so easy to click ‘Add to cart’ to those socks with the cute little pint glasses on them.
While Dad might not need anything, that doesn’t mean he doesn't want anything. The gifts below have been selected to be standalone practical gifts that are on dad's secret wishlist (a little elf told us).
4K is the mighty beast powering TVs today. It's bigger, better, and offers crystal-clear image quality. Whether your dad’s a fan of a good David Attenborough doco, becoming immersed in the latest video game, or cheering on his favourite sports team with mates, a brand new 4K TV is likely to bring a childlike smile to your old man’s face.
- Budget buy: 4K TVs have become a lot more affordable since they first burst onto the TV tech scene. You can pick up a for $749.99.
- Premium pick: There are plenty of premium picks when it comes to 4K TVs, but the is the top-rated one on ProductReview. Investing in one will set you back $2, 899 for a 55-inch TV.
While it's true that a 4K TV is more expensive than your average gift, it will also be something the whole household can enjoy - which may justify spending a little extra. To learn more about 4K TVs, you can read our 4K TV Buying Guide by .
While Dad’s probably not asking to be crowned the King of Cleaning this holiday season, a robot vacuum may just feel like the royal treatment. These nifty gadgets give you clean floors and carpets while you sit back and relax, spending more time doing the things you love. Because which dad wouldn’t rather be hanging out with the kids or grandkids, kicking a soccer ball around, or leaning back on the couch with an ice-cold beer and his ?
Premium pick: When it comes to splashing out more cash for a truly premium clean, consider buying one of the 2021 Award Winners for the Robot Vacuum category: the and the . While Xiaomi robot vacuums are traditionally of the budget variety, their popularity has no doubt influenced the company to release premium picks. These robovacs’ effectiveness at cleaning, along with their ease of use, makes them worth the splurge.
A portable speaker is a great, practical gift if your dad likes his every waking moment to be drowning in sound. The portability factor means he can listen to his tunes, a podcast or Audible book while he’s working in the house or garden. If a portable speaker is , Dad can even bring it along to weekend barbies. Just make sure you have the same music taste first – or his irreverent warbling or whistling may be an unwanted accompaniment to your snags!
- Premium pick: The basks in a 4.5-star rating, which is what you might expect for a price tag of $439.95. This 360 degree speaker produces sound that radiates powerfully across a room no matter its location, including when placed in front of a wall. It's also bump and water-resistant, with a carry handle to help tote it around. Bluetooth connectivity and voice control are available, via Google Assistant, Siri or Apple AirPlay.
- Budget buy: The (pictured, above) is a solid portable wireless speaker that you can snap up for $129.95, which is significantly cheaper than many other portable speakers on the market. Its compact size makes it easier to pack into a travel or picnic bag. It's also waterproof, drop-proof from 1.5 metres, and designed with a 13-hour battery life, which reduce the chances of those 'Ah, bloody hell...' moments.
Need we add an intro to this one? Consider – the sound of beans being ground to caffeinated liquid perfection; the tantalising aroma of a fresh, morning brew as it’s poured into your favourite mug. Yes, indeed - a coffee machine is the gift of daily rejuvenation.
- Premium picks: If Dad fancies himself a bit of a barista, then a will let him do the grunt work. The (pictured, above) and the have both taken home the 2021 Awards for best semi-automatic coffee machines.
- Budget buys: If you’re after something cheaper, a may fit the bill. These compact coffee machines are quick and easy to operate, so dad can enjoy fresh coffee at the press of a button. Nespresso is a popular option, and for good reason - the Coffee Pod Machines Award Winners for 2021 were: the and the , which also retails for $299.
If your dad's a fan of a good fry up, an air fryer might take away some of the guilt associated with eating deep-fried foods cooked in oil. An air fryer works more like a convection oven, using hot air that’s circulated to cook food. As a result, it needs much less oil to cook with, while making traditionally fried foods like hot chips and nuggets, along with unexpected treats like ravioli and cakes.
- Premium pick: $599 may seem like a lot to pay for an air fryer, but the (pictured, above) produces up to six servings of food, as well as consistently happy home diners. It’s the reason this air fryer is one of the 2021 Award Winners in its category. Reviewers love that you only need to press a button for the XXL Smart Digital to make perfectly cooked food for the whole family, and fast.
- Budget buy: This popular brand also took out the second award for Best Air Fryer of 2021, with the . At $239, it’s the most affordable air fryer Philips makes. It can cook up to four servings, which will be just the right amount for many families.