20Big Dog Raw Dog Food

Big Dog Raw Dog Food Questions & Answers

lara m.
lara m. · Raw Dog Food

Dog is on beef no dramas have tried switching over to kanga and she smells it and walks off

I’m doing 90% old and 10% kanga and still won’t eat it. Any suggestions?

Wanda
Wanda · Raw Dog Food

Hi, have there been any recent reports of dogs being sick on the Big Dog Barf? My dog has been sick for about a week, the vet couldn't find anything physically wrong, and I can't think what else might be causing it. He gets the Combo morning & night. For about a week he has been showing signs of nausea, eating grass & throwing up.

Beverley Grant

Combo contains Raw kangaroo meat and any product containing kangaroo has been well known to cause health problems even death in all ages of dogs.

Beverley Grant

Kangaroo meat causes health problems and can cause death in dogs. Meat contains many pathogens,salmonella,EColi,Toxoplasmosis to name a few. They are wild and shot at night in the wild no vet checks or vet treatment. No hygiene for carcasses and joeys are bludgeoned to death on the bull bars. Care for your furbaby by refusing kangaroo.

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Wanda, we just spoke to our quality team and they said there have been no issues with our Combo patties. However, we would like to investigate this further. Could you please send us the batch number through the form below so our quality team can check this batch. external link

Hi there, there is no Kanga in our Combo patties

Tess M
Tess M · Wellbeing Raw Dog Food

My 4.5 year old border collie has been having the combo raw diet for 2 months now and we have been advised she is needing to loose some weight so I wanted to swap her over to the wellbeing diet, but wondering is it recommended to still feed them dry food with this or just the raw food ? and also the recommended portions do we lower it or use what is suggested she is currently 30kg.

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hey Tess! We would recommend feeding them just the raw food :) How active is your border collie? To begin with, we would suggest feeding her the recommended portions. As per our feeding calculator, it suggests 4 patties per day. You can check it out here: external link

We would then keep an eye on her weight, and adjust according to how she goes. For example, if you feed her additional treats throughout the day, you may need to adjust the portions and give her less. It also all depends on her lifestyle too. If she is more of an active dog, you may need to feed her more. But you know your dog best, and will be able to adjust depending on what you see!

Wendy J. · Raw Dog Food

Hi, my dogs eat the puppy patties and now they are older I think I may need to change their diet. I've noticed that the last lot of puppy patties has changed. The patties are sticky and I can see a lot of what looks like intestines in the meat. It does seem that the ingredients are not the same standard.

Wendy J.

Sorry, I've put this question in the wrong dog product. Looks like I should swap to Big Dog Raw!

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

You definitely should! We have a great range you can check out here: external link

Joseph W.
Joseph W. · Raw Dog Food

my GSD 11month old has stopped eating the COMBO she used to love it now wont touch it, what in the recipe has changed

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Joseph, thanks for reaching out. No we have not changed anything recently! Sometimes pets get a bit bored of their food and tend to want to mix things up a bit, just like us humans! We also recommend sometimes warming the Pattie up under warm water, but so very slightly! If it helps, we have a good video here you can watch. external link  Hopefully this helps! Otherwise, we also offer a palatability guarantee, if you would like to take it back to the store you bought it from and exchange flavours. If you have any further questions, please reach out to our customer care team at, customercare@bigdogpetfoods.com they will help you out! :)

ToniM
ToniM · Kangaroo Low Allergy Raw Dog Food

We have rescued an almost 2 year old American Staffy who we started on Big Dog raw food about 2 months ago.
We transitioned her slowly and were feeding her one patty in the morning with pumpkin and green vege and the same at night. She was looking suuuuper lean (skinny) so we upped it to 1 and a half morning and night - still with the pumpkin and green vege and she still seems to be loosing weight. Do we need to up it to 2 patties morning and 2 patties at night? (4 per day?) She weights 22kg.

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi ToniM, The Kangaroo recipe is the leanest (lowest amount of fat) of our products and we would not recommend it for putting weight on a dog. If your Staffy is not allergic to other meat proteins, the Big Dog varieties of lamb, turkey, beef and chicken will be better at increasing weight. Please consult your vet if you believe there is any medical issues that could be preventing her from gaining weight.

Beverley Grant

The kangaroo meat is wild animals shot at night, no vet checks, full of symbiotic worms, E Coli, Salmonella, Toxoplasmosis and many other bacterial pathogens. I would not use kangaroo in any form. Change to chicken or beef, safer for the health of your Doggie.

UnhappyLARRY · Raw Dog Food

I have the same issue as someone mentioned. My dog we noticed when on big dog will vomit after 1-2 days yellow bile exactly at the same time each time. And her poops are very dry pellet like and causes her some kind of constipation. We know it’s because of big dog because we have had her on dry food only before and noticed that she never had the vomiting incident or dry poop. It’s only when we went back on the meat that it started again. Can anyone advise why this happens? Is there something wrong with big dog? We use the Kangooroo ones.

Anna V.
Anna V.

Sounds like a hunger vomit, my dog had it couple of times in the morning before eating when I fed him later than usual, also that was when we were still in the UK- so different brand, re dry poop- usually the bones make it dry

UnhappyLARRY

Hi Anna, thank you for your reply. However, I do believe it is specifically because of Big Dog. If you read other posts people talk about the same yellow bile vomit happening exactly same time after 1-2 days. I have now stopped big dog and preparing her raw food myself. My dog doesn't have that vomit incident at all either when she is on dry OR on the raw that I make myself. I thought the same thing initially, that perhaps it is the hunger vomit, but it was just strange that when we stop Big Dog she doesn't get it, and then as soon as we start again she has it. In any case, at least thats what happens to us, our experience with it. It could all be different for other dogs. Thank you again for your reply.

Sharryne and Mal
Sharryne and Mal · Raw Dog Food

I know that big dog is suppose to be a raw diet but my dog only will eat it if it is partially cooked. Is it ok to partially cook it without taking the benefits away? Does partially cooking destroy any nutrition that is essential?

Lucy W
Lucy W

From researching this before, you shouldn’t cook big dog as it has raw bone in it that shouldn’t be cooked. Hope this helps!

STEVE
STEVE · Raw Dog Food

Is there a risk of big dog food developing bacteria as I've read reports that it can as it's not tested like human grade raw meat is. My dog means the world to me and ide hate his life cut short because of raw meat

Bas
Bas

I don’t know how risky it is - our dog loved it at first but now we are struggling. Tried the salmon today and straight away she vomited - it’s tricky because we can’t always find the one she likes in stock. Kangaroo she ate but caused constipation and apparently it’s not suitable for puppies which we didn’t know because their roo boxes still list a puppy feeding guide. Going to kibble would be a shame coz she definitely had worse problems in terms of diarrhoea with kibble.

Leanne
Leanne · Raw Dog Food

We have a very fussy cavoodle and over the past 12 months have been trying various foods. Finally we thought she liked the Big dog raw food, at the first batch without too many problems, occasionally refusing but would generally eat most of it the next day. We do remove the food between meals and don't offer treats to compensate. This batch however I have just bought and she wont eat it, its been over a week and will go a day or so without eating and just try and steal food from the kids if she gets a chance, eventually she may take a mouthfull or two, but never eats the entire meal.
Help, can I mix up the flavours, and try a different one without having to do the transition ? Or add some other food ? I've tried adding veggies/tripe topper, I am so over her being so fussy and before I give up on this brand would like to find a solution if possible.

Donna · Raw Dog Food

Hi Just wondered if any of your customers had a problem with their dog. One of our staffies (10) has started vomiting yellow bile the last couple of days after eating Big Dog Chicken. I feed them Big Dog in the morning half each with veggies. I started the girls on this about 4 weeks ago. She usually vomits (last two days) around 3 in the afternoon. They have dry around 4pm. I wonder if there is a less fatty choice (BigDog Chicken) or maybe nothing to do with the food, just trying to eliminate what might be wrong. Thanks Donna

Katy
Katy

Hi.... I can't help you with the problem, but I bought Big Dog recently and found they have far more crushed bones than Dr B's BARF, so I went back to that. My dog's were quite constipated on Big Dog.

Liz E.
Liz E.

Hey Dona and Katy

I have found my staffy has began to vomit the barf pattie too, and it seems a lot of crushed bone in it, perhaps they have increased the bones or cartilage and dog can’t break this down as well, it’s really distressing as lots of bile as well, my dogs been on it for like 6+ years... now I’m worried

Donna

Yes. Stopped once I changed food.

Sharon
Sharon · Raw Dog Food

My welsh springer puppy is very itchy. She has been raised on only raw food- dr barf and big dog alternated with chicken wings & frames. Can u suggest what should I try plz. I bought the combo patties and a vet suggested I cut out chicken.
Thanks sharon

Hammish The Horrible

Try Big Dog Kangaroo as it's a single source protein and it helped though hasn't eliminated our Reggies itching. We have come to the conclusion that Reggies itching does seem to be seasonal and products that contain Neem have helped.

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Sharon! Thanks for getting in touch with us. We have a few recipes for issues like this and yes we would also recommend cutting out chicken.

The recipes, Kanga, Turkey, Wellbeing and Sensitive Skin are all chicken-free and we have seen them work wonders with pets who have itchy skin. I would first recommend Sensitive Skin as it has added natural Omega's to help assist gaining a healthy coat for your girl. :)
Hope this helps! Let us know if this works for you or feel free to email us at info@bigdogpetfoods.com

The team at Big Dog xx

gloria_birdsall · Raw Dog Food

Would a change from dry grain free dry food be okay for our senior labrador/staffy?
She has been doing well on Ivory Coat Ocean Fish for many years but recently has to be coaxed to eat (she is 13-1/2 yrs). Had skin problems when younger but grain free seemed to fix that.

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Gloria, thanks for getting in touch with us. Our food would be great for your senior pup! I would recommend our Wellbeing range as it's a great low-fat option for senior dogs and it packed with superfoods to help in maintaining healthy joints. If this is her first time trying raw food we definitely recommending transitioning over a 10-12 day period, slowly increasing her Big Dog portion in the following ratios:
Day 1-3: 20% New 80% Old
Day 4-6: 40% New 60% Old
Day 7-9: 60% New 40% Old
Day 10-12: 80% New 20% Old
Day 12+: 100% New Diet.
All our recipes are great for skin health as they contain no cheap fillers or any synthetic vitamins or minerals. She would need to be fed around 2% of her bodyweight in food.
I hope this information helps and don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you had any other questions! You can reach us here: info@bigdogpetfoods.com

Dayna from Big Dog :)

Thank you Dayna!

gloria_birdsall · Raw Dog Food

Would a change from dry grain-free dry food to Big Dog Raw Food be okay for our senior labrador/staffy?

Hammish The Horrible

Hi Gloria, it's impossible to give a definite answer cos all dogs digestion differ so much. BUT, if it was me.... I'd mix 1/3 Big Dog to 2/3 the dried food and increase Big Dog over the following couple of weeks. There are some reports that dogs digestion can't cope with a mix of raw and dried food and this worried me when I was transitioning Reggie onto Big Dog, but decided to believe those that said it wasn't a problem at all and luckily for us, that proved to be the case. Reggie can't get the food down quick enough as he loves it so much. Even though he is young and your lady is of a mature age, I'd imagine that the softer raw food will be much easier to consume. As our vet suggested to us, start your lady on the kangaroo, one source protein and easy on the digestion. I have never written a review on dog food before but am so happy to have finally found a product that has been so marvelous for Reggie, that I wanted to share our success story with everyone! The ingredients are so healthy and aligned so well for dogs tummys. So go slowly and I hope that all will be well...another thought, I wonder if her teeth and mouth are causing her issues, that may explain her reluctance to eat kibble...kindest regards

gloria_birdsall

Hi HTH, thank you for your very helpful answer! Good thought re mouth issues - all OK at recent vet visit (and she loves crunching carrot), but we will definitely keep checking. I really think she could be playing the "elderly lady" card as she enjoys the food once she gets started, but only if we add sardines or other tasty morsels. That's fine, but the Big Dog food certainly looks more appetising. Will try the go slow approach as you suggest. Thanks again.... kindest regards, Gloria

Karla M.
Karla M. · Raw Dog Food

We have changed our border collie pup to the raw portions. The puppy servings seem quite small? How do we know if its enough or should we be mixing with dry food? Also how do we transition properly to avoid issues with stool, just half half with the current food? Does anyone ever completely change their food successfully with no stool issues?

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Karla, Thanks for getting in touch with us. For puppies we recommend feeding them 4% of their body weight in our food to accommodate their growing bodies. This amount is enough for a growing puppy, though it looks smaller than other serving sizes, we don't add synthetic fillers to bulk out our food. Our ingredients are highly nutritious and full of the essential proteins and fats (to keep your pup fuller for longer) as well as natural vitamins and minerals.
A slow transition is always recommended, usually over a period of two weeks. Starting with what they usually eat, slightly decrease that portion and add our Big Dog patties in, increasing our portion sizes daily. We have a general guide which is as follows:
Day 1-3: 20% New 80% Old
Day 4-6: 40% New 60% Old
Day 7-9: 60% New 40% Old
Day 10-12: 80% New 20% Old
Day 12+: 100% New Diet
Most pets will have no issues when it comes to transitioning however if there is an issue, such as a change in stools, be sure to slow the transition period down further and it should resolve itself.
Hope this helps! Feel free to get in touch with a member of our team at info@bigdogpetfoods.com if you had any further questions.
The Team at Big Dog :)

Angie
Angie

Hi, I did half kibble half big dog from 10.5weeks to 20 weeks, each week reducing the kibble and adding more raw bones, big dog big bites and other fresh raw meats, fruit and veg. I have a Caviliar and at 5 months cut out kibble totally. If anything my pups stools got better, smaller, firm an less frequent the less kibble I gave and I think I could have made the transition much sooner. I am just a pet owner not a breeder or anyone with training. Good luck I have found Big Dog to be excellent and my puppy loves it, I used a online raw feeding calculator to work out how much to feed each day.

Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Angie - thanks so much for providing feedback, it's so awesome to hear you and your little Cav are enjoying the benefits of Big Dog. Thanks again for sharing! xx
The Team at Big Dog :)

Jack
Jack · Raw Dog Food

Can I buy Big Dog raw food in Airlie Beach Queensland 4802?

arff arff
arff arff

According to there website the closest stockist is pet stock cannonvale

Get an answer from our members and Big Dog Pet Foods representatives

Select a listing for your question
Big Dog Raw Dog Food