7MG ZS

MG ZS (2017-2024) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: MG ZS 2023 and MG ZS 2025.
Brand Manager for MG? Claim your listing.
thomasfysh88
thomasfysh88 · ZS (2017-2024)

Hi. I’ve got a 2023 mg zs excite automatic purchased in June of this year only 3500km on the clock . I’ve read a few complaints in regards to acceleration and stalling issues with the vehicle which I’ve had back to the service department 3 times where purchased with the same issue. Also a second issue with the steering column clunking whilst driving which now needs to be replaced also. Has anyone else had similar issues and how have you dealt with mg complaints. Thanks

Gage
Gage

Get rid of it mate. They’re the biggest pieces of garbage.

thomasfysh88

Yeah mate contemplating it. Would be nice just to take it back to the flogs get our money back.

carol l.
carol l. · ZS (2017-2024)

Bought a brand new mg zs 2022 and from 2 weeks on have had nothing but trouble with it why is this happening it's been in and out for repairs to many times to mention

Jesi W. · ZS (2017-2024)

Has anyone experienced stereo issues, hazard lights going off when hitting a bump or pot hole in the road or had trouble with their locking system and starting their engine ?? Also has anyone experienced or known of an MG or other model/brand of car being affected due to a certain area/suburb as in the frequency/towers/signal ???

Caz
Caz

YESSS!!!! And MG won't do anything much about it!! No trouble with the stereo or hazards but sometimes I can't lock the car. My main trouble is the car not starting the first time I turn it on. I have had trouble with this since I first bought the car in June this year. Several other issues as well but the ignition is what I have had it in for service over 6 times now and still not working properly. First they said there was nothing wrong, then they said it needed a new battery so they put that in and told me it was fixed. It still kept doing the same thing....since then they have cleaned some connectors and then they put in a new starter motor and still not turning on first go. Took it back and then they told me I was turning the key in the ignition too fast and that's why it wouldn't start. What a joke this has been. They said not to turn the key on too fast and it would work every time. I have turned cars on the same way for the last 40 odd years and never had a problem.
I have also turned the car on and went to go forward and the car started rolling backwards. It had turned itself off again!!
I have lodged a complaint with Fair Trading but not heard anything back from them yet.
MG did offer me a trade in price of $7000 less than I paid for it because of depreciation!! I wouldn't want to trade it in if there was nothing wrong with it but they won't come to the party.
It's been a total nightmare.
Anyway, that's my rant. Hope you have had better luck than me getting yours sorted.

Jesi W.

OMG sorry to hear this! It’s absolutely ridiculous. They left me with “I can use the key manually and it’s not a car defeat it’s the phone towers interference”. Never had they considered my plea for an upgrade or trade in! Although I refuse to see my hard earned cash wasted on a predict that’s not one of quality and standards. Therefore I am currently entering legal proceedings. I would suggest you do the same and contact legal aid for some advice as it’s just not good enough!

Abbie scamp
Abbie scamp · ZS (2017-2024)

Hello, I have a MG ZS 2022 the tpms fault light had been on for a few weeks now I have checked the tyre pressure numerous times and been fine I had the car booked in today for them to take a look I arrived to pick my car up for them to say they couldn’t see any faults and have check the car etc and if the light was to reappear then I wouldn’t be under warranty as they can’t see a known fault (even though the light had been on) they reset the light for then 10 minutes later to be driving home for it to then reappear on the dash any help would be appreciated the car is only 1 year 4 months old and was brand new when purchased?

Michael Fahy
Michael Fahy · ZS (2017-2024)

Hi...wife driving..had just started and vehicle went dead...had a bit of momentum to pull around corner...sat there q short time a vehicle suddenly started without turning key???

Eric R.

just reading the reviews. toomany problems with MGs. Budget cheap car. Piece of junk. Just don't get one !

Janet D
Janet D · ZS (2017-2024)

We have had our MG MS now for 3 years from new and been really happy with it , however we have developed a noise on reversing up hill and turning , my hubby thought it sounds like the differential. On the car’s first MOT and service we mentioned it and was told it is a characteristic of the drive line due to the harmonics in the MG MS car, just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem , this was never mentioned to us on buying the car and it has only started three years of ownership. Any help , advise or anyone had or having similar issue would be greatly appreciated.

Eric R.

Not that sound specifically, but I heard several other weird noises and I only drove it for 4 days. Just a horrible horrible shabby cheaply made car. No idea how it can be approved to drive on roads by any transport agency. Reading all the review for this car would put anyone off.

Tony H.

Mathew

Yes , there is.

Pranil L.
Pranil L. · ZS Essence

I picked up my new mg essence 3 days ago. As soon as I left the dealership I applied the brakes and it stopped. But then the revs jumped to 4000 revs while stopped at the lights. I had to throw the gear to neutral to avoid hitting the car in front of me. So far it has happened 4 times. Has anybody had this problem??

Eric R.

I applied the brakes at a roundabout and it didn't brake. very dangerous car.

Robyn Pogmore
Robyn Pogmore · ZS (2017-2024)

Why dont you say that MGZ is only provided with a slow charger? And why would you manufacture a modern you-beaut car and only supply a slow charger? It is silly. In this day and age one needs the fastest charge possible, and the new MGZ held us up for 6 hours because it was so slow charging and we didnt know that we needed a fast charger. Why dont the reviews mention that this car only has a slow charger?

Karen Ellard
Karen Ellard · ZS (2017-2024)

I am about to go for a test drive in the MG ZS Excite 2022. Has anyone driven the later model and noticed any faults written here that MG may have fixed.

Robyn Pogmore

Ask them about throwing in a fast charger, because the car doesntnhave one automatically, and they dont tell you—-well, Nissan Ryde didnt tell me, anyway.‍

brian uk
brian uk · ZS (2017-2024)

what does the symbol of white circle with red border showing 20 in centre which comes on when driving this only happens now and again but turning ignition off when restarting the symbol is not there

Kel
Kel

Hi, not sure Brian. It does sound like it’s a speed zone symbol. Maybe see if there is something in your manual, if not, call your dealership.
Cheers.

thanks Kel .

Shabab R.
Shabab R. · ZS Excite

Great fantastic car love it lol and discrimination can go to hell

Robyn Pogmore

Well, we were going fine until we were stuck for 6 hours and didnt know why the car wouldnt charge—-it is supplied with a slow charger and you have to pay extra for a fast charger. And the salesman didnt tell us……..

Mike at Taree

This column is about the 1.5L petrol MG ZS Excite, not the EV.

Ellana G.
Ellana G. · ZS (2017-2024)

Does the headlights on mg pilot stays on when the car is switched off

Ebony89
Ebony89

I’ve just purchased one and notice this also lol

danny L.
danny L. · ZS Excite

I don’t know MG ZS excite 1.5l and Kia Stonic S 1.4l which ones can I buy? Please help me thanks a lot

Jenks S
Jenks S

My 3rd MG won’t ever look back hope this helps you

Rodrigo

Buy the Kia 100%. Just buy the Kia.
The MG is pure Chinese rubbish.

WJB
WJB

If you're buying new, then consider the support you have in place where you stay. If there is an MG or Kia dealer with a good support infrastructure, buy that one. Either car may last as long as you service it, but the one without support will be harder to look after, and give you a bad run.

I bought an MG HS Essence X about a year ago. I had to wait 4 months for delivery - felt like an eternity. When it came, we were excited - new car, lots of tech, 2l engine, best of the batch. There is good and bad in everything, even me. In my car, the bad is the turbo lag - you get use to it by just learning how to operate the accelerator (you can cheat by putting in a chip, but I am concerned about the 7y warranty being void if I do). the other let down is the slow response on the infotainment console. Since it does everything (AC/Vehicle settings) and not just Radio / reverse cam - I can't replace it with a $500 radio upgrade... Searching for the RAM upgrade version of this kit, then this car will be perfect. Size is great, mags look awesome, colour (red) is more plum, but I like it, performance is ok (it is not very fuel efficient in the city - but only electric would be better - and I don't spend a lot of time driving in the city, so doesn't bother me). The Tech can be set to the way you like it. SuperSport Button gives the performance you need as a young and hippy driver wanting more from your car. It takes corners well, only just had our first rain downpour and it swam through that deliciously! I have thought about selling because of the lag and infotainment, but I can't find anything better that is newish at a similar price! It is just so much value for money - considering the other options. You can pay more for a Mazda with the same kit (well almost - some things are just not available) which would be my advise if you have the 10k extra to spend (CX5 top of the range in that Cherry Red ;) ). I made my choice.

The workaround for the infotainment - plug in your iPhone, use Apple Car Play :).
The workaround for the turbo-lag - chip it (search on eBay - they ship one from the UK - if you want it)

8.5/10 on my scale - and after 12500km, 2 holiday trips over 1000km each and lots of around town driving, she's now settled in the garage like a dog that needed to be trained. (still eats my sneakers tho!)

John C.
John C.

I have a 2016 Kia that came with a 7 year warranty. Its now 2022 and I've never needed that warranty, very happy. You get what you pay for.

Tony M.
Tony M.

Be warned…
Dodgy electronics and semi conductors.
I was forced to rent and MG ZS on a recent holiday.
The electrics failed after 5 minutes.
My air conditioner just cut out.
Turn it back on and it keeps going out in 5 seconds.
The air con was fine but the electronics were a mess.
I returned it to the rental hire the next morning for a swap after arguing with the agent that his new car is no good and I do not want to be responsible for it.

SunnyDays
SunnyDays

I have a new MG ZS, purchased June 2022.
I also had a Kia Stonic as a hire car before buying the MG.
If I could afford it, I would have most definitely purchased the Kia Stonic. Great SUV with all the extras.
I've had no trouble with the MG, it was about 6,000 less than the Stonic.
I loved all the extra safety features on the Stonic.

carol l.

I wish I had bought something different now my mgzs is a lemon

Colin
Colin · ZS Essence

I have a ford territory awd,4 ltr, 6 speed,
How would the mg compare with this car
Although it is old some 13 years old now

Rodrigo

Orange and apples buddy. The Ford with all its issues is a way better car, the MG is pure Chinese rubbish.

Yoshi
Yoshi

I agree with the other commenter; it's a tale of two cities and both have a liteny of issues. Stick with Japanese built cars especially Toyota, yes they are a bit boring but you'll thank me in the long run when your not stick on the road somewhere

Jane K.
Jane K. · ZS (2017-2024)

Fi have a mg zs2020 it pushes forward and rev roar above 3000 when slowing down not always also happens in reverse and has roared in park 3times told nothing wrong any ideas

Peter

You could be having trouble with your automatic transmission

Peter · ZS (2017-2024)

Does anyone have problems with the headlights in an MG ZS

SteveW
SteveW

I haven't noticed anything.

TheWarden
TheWarden · ZS (2017-2024)

Looking for an honest opinion about the 1.5 auto for highway driving which i do a lot of, is it revving its guts out and uncomfortable at 100-110kph?

Reader
Reader

Don't have that particular model but would stay away from MG. My experience has been negative both in performance and customer service.Am currently in middle of nightmare with my MG regarding what is a fault that they can't find. However that is just my experience there are probably many MG customers who are very happy with their decision to buy a vehicle with the iconic MG badge.I unfortunately am not one of them. I wish I was.

Mike at Taree

Probably too late to help you but other readers may be interested.
It drives great on the highway, with the revs around 3000 at 100kph and a bit higher at 110.

Much in like with my old Toyota six cylinder Avalon that I sold recently, would do 2500 revs at 110. However the Avalon was Falcon sized and far heavier.

It sails along and if I'm not on cruise control it often sneaks up to over 120kph and it makes the gong sound to let me know I'm going too fast.
The engine is obviously highly tuned as it performs as well as in my Mazda2 which was also 1500cc and in a lighter car.

TheWarden

Thanks Mike, funny I also have a Mazda 2 lol, didn't end up buying a new vehicle back then, but might do second half of this year.

Steve44
Steve44 · ZS (2017-2024)

Can any current owners confirm that it is normal for the steering coupling at the base of the steering column (on firewall directly behind brake pedal to be exposed with no cover? It seems dangerous to me that anything could roll in there & jam the steering. As we have just collected our ZST new, I'm wondering if the RHD conversion should have added a cover or something?

Select a listing for your question
MG ZS (2017-2024)

Extra Information

Brand Manager for MG? Claim your listing.