5Toyota Echo XP

Toyota Echo XP (1999-2005) Questions & Answers

Simon H.
Simon H.

Do the front doors on a 2000 Toyota echo interchange between hatch and sedan or are they different ? Many thanks

André S.
André S.

I drove only one Sedan once and they seem the same to me.

Jerry Perczyk
Jerry Perczyk

I have a 2002 Toyota Echo with 635,000 kms on the original engine and still going strong. Car has been serviced religiously every 10,000 kms. Oil consumption is now excessive with 5LTR top-up every 10,000 kms. Am running a 15W-50 engine oil. Any recommendations on how to reduce oil consumption ?

Chad
Chad

On Toyota echo 2003 when last fuel bar flashing how many ks do I have remaining?

deus_zeus
deus_zeus

You would need to check the owners manual for that answer which I no longer have since selling the car.

It also depends whether you're doing highway or urban driving.

As a safe guesstimate, you should easily get another 20 kms (likely a lot more than that, but not worth the risk)

Kay

I love my 2 door echo auto 2000 but for one thing. Every time I start her from a cold start she creeps even if I press hard on the excellerater she just creeps along and then all of a sudden she will take of. I am afraid to cross the busy intersection when I leave work and as she has been left all day she creeps across the rd with on coming traffic heading straight towards me and no amount of pressure will get her to move faster. All my friends at work just get into there cars and here am I left idling my car before heading off. I love her she is wonderful a part from this dangerous this habbit. Does anyone know why she is doing this? Thanks for any help!

sonik
sonik

warm up your car perhaps?

forbes
forbes

Hey there sounds like the issue i was having very easy to fix. Grab some mass air flow cleaner from canadian tire, for like 8 bucks and clean your mass air flow sensor very easy took me like 20 min car runs like brand new! heres a video link on you tube.

candidatuo

I have one as well and it does the same thing.

I read somewhere (if not in the car maintenance book) that it does not shift from 3 rd to 4 th gear until the engine is warm.

I guess this is just a safety measure so the gearbox doesn't run on cold.

So don't worry, just be a bit patient.

Kay

Thank you sonik,forbes and candidatuo for all your help i am now accepted that i have to be patient and warming her up before i drive of and that seams to be working and i will also give that air flow cleaner a try thank you.

Geoff19
Geoff19

How'd you go because I fixed mine the other day my mass flow sensor was called in carbon build up

Leslie
Leslie

Mr. Forbes, well said I did mine as per the video he posted, still the same for the last 2 yrs, changed to a new one, still the same, any ideas, please? might be the throttle position sensor, as I believe?.

hannah caravan
hannah caravan

how much cargo space do i get if i put down the back seats and recline the front passenger seat in a 2004 4 door Toyota Echo sedan? Gotta drive myself and my two dogs about 6hrs down the highway and i really want them to be comfortable! Shepherd and retriever.

Kay

Hi Hannah i think your two beautiful dogs would be fine with the back seats down and the front passenger seat as well its suprising how roomy it is in a little Echo.I am not sure about seatbelts for your precious dogs though as my dogs have never traveled in my little echo they don't like drives at all. I know my neice has harness's on her furkids.Hope i have helped you in some way. Have a safe trip

Terry

Hi Hannah. I agree with Kay. Your Echo will have plenty of room in the rear compartment alone for two large dogs. Even more so if you fold the rear seats completely forward and down. This will provide a low & flat space for them with plenty of headroom. You wouldn't be able to recline the front passenger seat with this configuration, but you shouldn't need to. Best wishes.

Terry.

candidatuo

Someone was saying in one of these reviews that he traveled with his 30kg 2 dogs in his echo and all was fine

Vin
Vin

May I ask what car should I buy? I am looking for an affordable and yet reliable one, not to mention that the maintenance should be minimal. I am choosing from Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift and Toyota Echo, manual gear or automatic? Thank you very much!

Guy Carter
Guy Carter

Hi Vin! All of those are good little cars. I would go manual, if you can drive one. Happy car hunting!

Terry

Hi Vin. I can only speak of what I am familiar with and that's the Echo. Mine has now done 316,000 and, seemingly, runs as well as it did when it was new. The economy is still as good as then (overall average of 5.8 L/100) and oil consumption is about 1 L for 10,000 km, which is Toyota's recommended service schedule. I've stuck to that schedule from new. The warranty period, of course, is long gone, but that was never my main reason for maintaining the service schedule. Ongoing reliability was and still is. The schedule is not elaborate, thus not expensive, even if you pay for it to be done professionally, as I do. Mine is a manual and I'm delighted with it's reliability also.

Having said all that though, If I were seeking a second hand one now I would look for a more recent model which is, of course, the Yaris, which replaced the Echo in 2006.

Most Echo's have now done 200,000+ and it would be hard to find one with a reliable service record. Maybe you know of one. Good luck.

Terry, Perth.

Kay

Hi Vin i own a 2000 Toyota Echo its very relible and cheap to run. Mine is a two door but i think s 4 door would be better but i still love mine. Good luck with what ever car you choose and happy and safe travels.

Stevemilham
Stevemilham

What size seat covers fit a 2005 echo please?

Terry

My driver's seat is now wearing it's third cover, having worn out two previous ones - Not bad value for the 315,000 km driven. The covers I have purchased have all been inexpensive brands from any local auto parts store and, as best I recall, they were all simply one standard size designed to fit any small to medium bucket seat. Fitting was never a problem and the wear factor has obviously been very good.

Perth.

sa
sa

wats the transmission like? :)

crikeyimtrueblue
crikeyimtrueblue

I have a manual and it still has not missed a beat!

John R

We have the 5 speed manual and it's been really reliable and robust. If I can be a little picky... I've found it not as "smooth" selecting reverse sometimes as some other cars that we've driven. What I mean by that is that it can feel a little notchy selecting reverse sometimes as reverse doesn't have synchromesh. It's not a deal breaker if you love the car otherwise.

Dave Storrie
Dave Storrie

The manual transmission is quite weak. Probly the weakest part of the driveline. We have replaced it twice with over 300k on the clock. Overall though quite a reliable little car, we probly just got a bit unlucky with second hand parts.

Heather
Heather

What safety features the 1999 model have?

John R

This first model Echo only came with a drivers airbag and seatbelt pretensioners. It was one of the safest cars at that time (of this size) with a 4 star crash rating. Unfortunatley it didn't have stability control or ABS. These features are now standard on all new cars. Whilst it didn't have side airbags, extensive testing in the UK (circa 200) showed that occupants in a side impact had lower head injuries that other similar vehicles of that period as Toyota was utilizing it's new "T"cell construction which made the small car quite rigid. I've also noticed that when seated in the driivers seat there are no pillars or other hard objects to the right of my head. There's nothing except the glass side window to the right of your head.

One final thing....the car is very light, aroung 830 to 860 kg depending on the model. This means it gets fantasic fuel economy and great emergency braking performance due to its light weight. The downside is that if you are unlucky to be hit by a larger vehicle with any significant force you will come off second best. If you haven't already noticed about half the cars on the road are four wheel drives and they all weigh between 1600 kg and 2600 kg. I'ts still a good city car, where speeds are generally lower.

Hope this helps.

Connor Graham Elsley
Connor Graham Elsley

A mate of mine got hit by a semi trailer one day. All that happened was his tail light broke and a little bit of cosmetic damage. Because the car is so light he sort of just bounce of the semi and saved his life. He still drives it today!!

Danica Lester
Danica Lester

Need a price on brake pads and bushes for right wheel?

brian
brian

It would be better for you to replace all the wheel bearings at the Toyota Australia workshop or a braking specialist workshop

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives